Halo: A shot in the dark

Started by Gladiator0161, August 18, 2010, 08:17:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vengurd

*while eating an early breakfast he spots Ashia's swaying and follows her movements for a moment*

Well.

Someone seems dedicated.

ashia starstreak

Alriiiight! *throws a fist to the air in victory to Gladiator's words*

Oh you have no idea Vengurd. *She winked* Some people have wide meanings behind 'nerd' I usually get specific callings especially 'Halo Nerd' *puts cape on with Halo Emblem on it and stands proudly as if she were a superhero* Do ta do! Even though I can't fire my gun for crap on the game, I try to take in as much as I can..give me a real gun, I'll blow all ya outta the water..er in this case outta space ;)

"A knight in shining armor is a man who has never had his metal truly tested."

TyKing

They released a new trailer for Halo 4 and it looks pretty freakin' sweet. Gotta love E3. I got my fill of Halo after ODST and haven't played Wars or Reach. But this new one features tech that appears to be Forerunner and Cortana is also going a little crazy in it. Stacking up to be something worth waiting for.

ashia starstreak

Sorry Gladiator..like many people believe I have to point out..Spartans are NOT clones. They are the originals. When they are taken at age six, they are flash cloned..the clones are returned to the parents and the originals are kept to become Spartans. The reason why we can't use clones is because they crumble quickly and are more prone to disease and illnesses. I didn't make the rule up, it's Halo's thing. Just had to point that out.

Also  silly little  fact:  If all  Spartans here are Spartan IIs..that means Shana is five years older than you. O_o... awesome ^-^ what a cougar!

"A knight in shining armor is a man who has never had his metal truly tested."

Hunter Phoenix

Halo 4 does definitely look like it will be something worth watching for. I cannot wait to see what 343 studios are doing with it :)

Also guys, I have excellent on my real life dealings. I have now been offered a place at university :)
For those of you that are not sure on what university is. It is the UK equivalent of College in America. I will be studying Game Design at Honours Degree level for three years. Then if I like, I can stay on for another year to study at Masters Degree level, then from there I can take on the challenge of a Doctorate to become a Doctor of Game Design haha :D
Where Will A Creature Of Darkness Hide If Not In The Shadows Of The Night.

Gladiator0161

Awesome! Congrats Hunter! That's great!

As far as the clone thing goes, you guys might be right because my brother is telling me the same thing. I'm confused though because I was sure that in the book Fall of Reach, they said that Spartans were clones.

I also can't wait until Halo 4 comes out! It looks awesome! To make it even better, running isn't an armor ability according to Gameinformer! YOU CAN RUN!!!!!! :D

Vengurd

None of the books state the Spartans are clones, one or two might explain that they were flash cloned when taken.

Hunter- Congratulations on the Uni.

I remember someone saying they were a S3.

When I first heard about Halo 4 I was dreading it. One, Bungie said they were done with the Halo Trilogy, and when I heard that it was 343 Industries was running the show and Bungie had nothing to do with it, some of my worries were alleviated until I saw that most of the heads had worked on sports and racing games.... Definitely made me extremely worried. So far from what I've seen from E3 however I can honestly say I am shocked. I am still disappointed on their work with the Halo: CE anniversary edition.

Hunter Phoenix

I'm currently working my way through the anniversary version and I aren't finding anything wrong with it, the graphics are way better, which was going to be the obvious one anyway since it is xbox 360, I like that you can play it in the original graphics if you want. The online isn't anything spectacular but I don't care much about that. They seem do be doing alright at the moment with the look of the game, let's just hope they do the rest of the series justice.

Unlike when Ubisoft threw Halo 3 at us and told us to like it, then threw halo ODST at us and made us hate it, then threw halo wars at us because they wanted to make another game for halo, and then halo reach because they wanted to make more money by doing a prequel. Ubisoft were all about the money making once they found that they were onto a winner with Halo. 343 are out to make a name for themselves by making a decent game that follows on from the mess of a previous company. Condemn them when the game comes out ;)

Vengurd

Lols Hunter, I don't know what you are talking about.

ODST was to give a view of the war form the perspective of a marine, other than the sub-par story the game was okay. Reach actually blew the previous games away, and if I remember, you said you didn't play reach, so please don't judge until you've at least tried it.

Halo Wars was done by Ensemble, not Bungie, so don't count that as a Bungie failure.

Condemn a game after you've played it.

The difference in game play was....astounding to say the least when I played Anniversary and then put in the original edition. Physics were changed, weapon behavior modified, a whole list of things changed when it was supposed to be just the aesthetics.

Hunter Phoenix

I played reach all the way through, didn't like it all that much and have played online on it a few times.

ODST was used as a sort of Beta test towards reach while it was giving a different perspective with the character, I never played ODST all the way through but the small amount I did play was terrible.

I'm pretty sure they changed one or two things on it to make it more balanced as the pistol alone in halo 1 was completely overpowered haha

Gladiator0161

Well, as far as the Halo Combat Evolved Anniversary Edition goes, I think they did fine, and I like it. They didn't change much and all that I could see was an upgrade in the graphics which was cool. Halo 3 and Halo 3 ODST I thought were good games, but, I do admit to liking ODST better than three, because you finally got away from the Spartans and got to play an ODST.

Plus, Nathan Fillion (Malcom Reynolds from Fire Fly, and Rick Castle from Castle) voiced over the leader of the group, Gunnery Sergeant Buck, which I love Nathan Fillion so, there's another reason I love that game, lol. I tried Halo Wars but, I could never progress in it so, I just gave up on that. Never was really good at RTS games anyway.

Reach on the other hand was and still is awesome in my opinion. Not only do you get to customize your armor but, you have armor abilities, which are cool. The story I thought was ok but, that kind of goes without saying for the whole Halo game series. Again, just my opinion. I think the online multiplayer is a bunch of bull when it comes to earning credits to unlock armor pieces but, it is fun playing and killing other players. Not so fun when you're being killed though, lol.

Vengurd

Thing is, they said they would only change the looks and sounds and then went back on their word by editing the things they said they wouldn't touch. Yes, the pistol is extremely op but it is still fun to mess around with, it was my favorite weapon in campaign (I preferred the assault rifle with any other weapon combination in multiplayer), but when the pistol is crap, worse than any other weapon and the plasma rifle is the new leader in taking out the bad guys I have some serious qualms with that.

Thanks but no thanks, to me the anniversary edition is trash and I'll stick with the original edition. That said, lets move on before we get our opinions mixed up and argue XD.

Sushi

I think most people's complaints about ODST weren't that the game was actually bad but it wasn't really different enough and long enough for a lot of people to consider it worth the money (it was originally an expansion pack, too.) Firefight was great though.

I liked Reach, a lot. It principally had similar gameplay to previous games, characters you actually cared about and a very epic landscape. I mean, it wasn't groundbreaking like Battlefield 2 to BF3, but it was certainly a pleasant surprise.

On the topic of clones, it's heavily implied throughout the series that cloning, aside from small organs is susceptible to all sorts of unexpected consequences, so their primary use so far is to make AIs like Cortana.

EDIT: Just wondering, is the "Mk5" rocket launcher canonical? I only know of the M19, M41 and the stationary ones.
"—in any other circumstance, you might have had a point there. Except my boss is a woman, I was a chick in the 40's, I hate everyone equally, and there's no one alive who can comprehend my sexual preference."

TyKing

Personally I loathed ODST, I felt like I was taking a tour of a city rather than playing a game. Those long empty stretches were so bad that even the addition of Mal couldn't save that game for me. That game put me off Halo completely so I didn't even bother buying Reach.

Gladiator0161

Ok, well I'd still suggest you atleast barrow Reach from a friend and play it before you just dump it with your opinion of ODST TyKing, because Reach is nothing like ODST.

I can understand some frustration on your part Vengurd about Halo CE AE but, I still don't think it was worse than the original. That being said, I agree that we should probably move onto another topic so that feelings aren't frayed.

Has anyone here seen Red Vs Blue? They've just recently started their 10th season, and they have two episodes up that are kick ass! If you haven't seen them yet, I really suggest you check them out, you won't be disappointed. I'm rewatching the beginning season since I forgot what season I stopped on, lol. I'm on season 2 now, lol.

I really wish I could do something like that but, with more story. I wonder what the program was that they used for the 10th season.

Hunter Phoenix

I followed Red vs Blue for a few seasons, then ended up losing touch with it haha college and work pushed it from my mind. But I did really like the seasons that I saw.

Gladiator0161

Well, this 10th season looks to be awesome. I've seen the first 2 episodes and they're very cool. You should check them out.

TyKing

The guys from RoosterTeeth are some creative geniuses in my opinion. I love Red v.Blue and the Rage Quits. Some of the stuff they do on Saints Row 3 is pretty good too.

Sushi

I second that notion. I semi-despise ODST, absolutely love Reach. It's up there with Halo and Halo 2.

Also @Gladiator the question about the MK5 rocket still stands >.>
"—in any other circumstance, you might have had a point there. Except my boss is a woman, I was a chick in the 40's, I hate everyone equally, and there's no one alive who can comprehend my sexual preference."

Gladiator0161

Oh, sorry Sushi, forgot all about your question. Yeah it's canonical. They use the MK5 Rocket Launcher in the 1st Halo game (Combat Evolved) and in some of the books, they called it the SPACKER, or something like that, in the books.

It's also in the Halo Encyclopedia. I don't know if the M19 is anywhere but the 2nd game, I think that was the model that had the target lock. I didn't know about the M41 though.

Doesn't really matter though to me, they're all Rocket Launchers, lol. I think the only difference between the three launcher types is that the MK5 doesn't lock onto it's target, and doesn't have a laser sight.

Hunter Phoenix

I had an idea, if anyone would be interested.

Maybe we could set up another halo thread, but have it so that the Spartans have just graduated from the training and gained their armor and are straight shipped out to defend planets that are under attack?

Gladiator0161

Sounds good to me but, I think we should finish this one first. I'd personally love to rp out your idea Hunter but, I might have to change the names of two of Gladiator's original group, dunno if I like them well enough to rp them out.

Hunter Phoenix

I wouldn't want to rush into something like that without finishing this one anyway :)

I just thought it might be cool to have a sort of prequel thread as well, giving some back story to the characters without us having to resort to flashbacks all the time.

Gladiator0161

I agree, flashbacks are cool but, when you resort to them all the time it gets old fast.

Sushi

Quote from: Gladiator0161 on June 08, 2012, 12:33:08 PM
Oh, sorry Sushi, forgot all about your question. Yeah it's canonical. They use the MK5 Rocket Launcher in the 1st Halo game (Combat Evolved) and in some of the books, they called it the SPACKER, or something like that, in the books.

It's also in the Halo Encyclopedia. I don't know if the M19 is anywhere but the 2nd game, I think that was the model that had the target lock. I didn't know about the M41 though.

Doesn't really matter though to me, they're all Rocket Launchers, lol. I think the only difference between the three launcher types is that the MK5 doesn't lock onto it's target, and doesn't have a laser sight.
Well, the instruction manual calls it a M19... it's called the "Spanker" because the writing on the site says SPNKR. It's exactly the same rocket in Halo 2, but in that game it can lock on. 

Technically speaking, the rockets in the series are all basically the same model. Even the HALO rocket said "M41" on the side, but they mis-labeled it M19.

Pretty confusing, huh?