The IRS Phone Calls are a scam, right?

Started by Galactic Druid, September 23, 2016, 04:17:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Galactic Druid

I want to be sure about this one. I've gotten 2 calls today, one was an automated service asking me to call the number to take about a case the IRS is building against me. The second was a missed call from a local area code, that I called back, and ended up with the same thing. They asked me for my name and address, so I asked if they could confirm my SSN, at which point I got hung up on.

I'm guessing this is a scam. I'm almost sure this is a scam. The only thing that has me worried is that this is the second time today I've gotten a call, so it had me nervous. This is just a scam. Right? I had a service handkerchief my taxes this last tax season, so I'm pretty sure I'm good. I just wanted to be sure.
A/As last updated 11/27 - Halfway past busy season!

TyCaine

Yes, as far as I'm aware if they call it's a scam...
The IRS like their paper trails too much, if there's an issue, they will mail you through snail mail...  It's even been called out on my local news a couple of times as well, that the IRS doesn't call, they mail, period...
Currently tentatively looking for a writing partner or two, pitch me an idea...
My smut dance card is a little full, though I might be tempted with the right story...
Pitch me an idea...

Ons & Offs & Current Threads | Recent Posts | F-List
RPs Wanted 1 | RPs Wanted 2
Apologies & Absences

TyCaine

Currently tentatively looking for a writing partner or two, pitch me an idea...
My smut dance card is a little full, though I might be tempted with the right story...
Pitch me an idea...

Ons & Offs & Current Threads | Recent Posts | F-List
RPs Wanted 1 | RPs Wanted 2
Apologies & Absences

Oreo

Any call claiming to be a government agency wanting your information is likely a scam. Even Social Security/Disability/Social Services sends out a letter informing you of an impending phone call and when to expect it. Scare tactics are always signs of a scam.

Rest easy RPGuy. We have received that same IRS call.

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

Oniya

Definitely a scam.  If they left any phone number for you to contact them, report it to the IRS and your state Attorney General (don't use the caller ID number, as that might be spoofed, but a 'Call us back at (555)555-5555' sort of number is likely to actually lead somewhere.)

Do not call them back yourself, or confirm any information if you happen to answer the phone and get someone 'live'.  This only tells them that they have a valid phone number/target.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Galactic Druid

I'm glad I was smart enough to ask them to confirm my SSN at lease. Like I saud, they hung right up. Thanks for confirming it, everyone. I'll sleep better tonight.

I'm in the middle of a move and hadn't changed my address with every service I use yet, including the bank. I had a serious panic attack.
A/As last updated 11/27 - Halfway past busy season!

Oreo

We had a moment of the same panic before hubby hung up on the original call to us saying, "this has to be a scam. The IRS never makes phone calls." He can't deal with anything on a PC, but he is smart when it comes to things like scams.

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,

Oniya

Quote from: ThatRPGuy on September 23, 2016, 05:41:14 PM
I'm glad I was smart enough to ask them to confirm my SSN at lease. Like I saud, they hung right up. Thanks for confirming it, everyone. I'll sleep better tonight.

I'm in the middle of a move and hadn't changed my address with every service I use yet, including the bank. I had a serious panic attack.

There's a website that I use called 800notes.com  If you enter an unfamiliar phone number, most times it'll come back with what scam is being run through it (or survey, or other bottom-feeder).  Two people and the little Oni's school have our land-line number, so if I don't recognize a number I run it through there (or just Google it.)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Beguile's Mistress

This year alone I've received about a dozen of these calls, all automated, and took the number and passed it on to one of my attorneys who contacts the IRS to report them.  I totally freaked the first time it happened because my I have a tax expert prepare my taxes.

LostInTheMist

I keep getting calls about appearing in court for a "major felony case" and that this is the second time they have tried to contact me, and they will proceed with legal action if I don't respond.

But it's a scam too. If they need you to show up in court, they have to serve you a subpoena, and that has to be done in person by a human being, is my understanding. It certainly can't be done by phone.
My Apologies and Absences  Updated March 24, 2024

My Ons and Offs

My Smutty Ideas
My Serious Ideas

Current Status: Unusually long bout of insomnia is slowing my posting rate.

Oreo

The Dark Raven

Quote from: LostInTheMist on September 23, 2016, 10:05:12 PM
I keep getting calls about appearing in court for a "major felony case" and that this is the second time they have tried to contact me, and they will proceed with legal action if I don't respond.

But it's a scam too. If they need you to show up in court, they have to serve you a subpoena, and that has to be done in person by a human being, is my understanding. It certainly can't be done by phone.

They can subpoena you either in person (with hard copy) or by US mail.  Nothing done by the justice system is done over the telephone.

Check my A/A | O/O | Patience is begged. Momma to Rainbow Babies and teetering toward the goal of published author. Tentatively taking new stories.

Nessy

General rule of thumb, if you ever feel something might be a legit concern, don't talk to the person on the phone, contact the company or government office by the contact information they provide. The IRS, court house, police office, social security office and etc. they have readily available contact information.
Ons and Offs    Short Term Ideas,
Misc. Long Term Ideas

If you send me a PM and I don't respond, chances are I just missed it. Send it again!

Some heroes don't wear capes. Some just #holdthedoor.

GothicFires

If the IRS is going to take any action against you they will send you notice via certified mail. They have to have someone sign for it to prove you actually received notification.
looking for new games
discord: Agara#3507

TFcommando

I've received a few of these calls.  They say they're from "Internal Revenue Services," not even getting the name of the IRS right. 
Behold!  My O&Os
Highly interested in
Canon Character Roleplay and System-based Roleplay

Sara Nilsson

yeah I get those all the time too. Best was when i called back just to waste their time and a guy with heavy accent answers "Hello this is the irs". So I calmly told him, no you are not. And his brilliant reply "This is the iRS mutherfucker what do you want?"

Cue me laughing for a few minutes :)

Oniya

Quote from: Sara Nilsson on September 28, 2016, 04:08:30 PM
yeah I get those all the time too. Best was when i called back just to waste their time and a guy with heavy accent answers "Hello this is the irs". So I calmly told him, no you are not. And his brilliant reply "This is the iRS mutherfucker what do you want?"

Oh, but they are the IRS.  Idiotic Rip-off Scammers.

Sara Nilsson

Oniya

Quote from: Sara Nilsson on September 28, 2016, 04:13:16 PM
*chuckles* touche

Kind of like those hats that read

FBI
Full-Blooded Italian (or Irish)

Inari

I've been getting calls from people claiming to be part of a government thing which gives people money for being good citizens. I laughed too hard.

GnothiSeauton

If they're calling on your cell/smart phone, try out the Mr. Number app.

It automatically blocks and ignores calls from numbers that have a high spam rating from a bunch of different sites and listings. I had to download it after getting way too many calls about the credit card I've never signed up for, and virtually stopped them all from getting through.
If I can't have you, my love...  I'll destroy you
~World Building Workshop ~ Current Ideas and Requests  ~
~ Preferences ~ Status  ~ Nightmares and Inspirations~
~Gnothi's Stories Without Homes~
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one.

Seeking New Stories

Oreo

Quote from: Sara Nilsson on September 28, 2016, 04:08:30 PM

Would be so lovely to answer with, "This is the FBI, special agent _____. What is your name and office location please." /sightly cover speaker and ask, have you acquired the trace?

Lrrr

It's actually a fun way to spend ten minutes.

-------------
Hello
Hello.  This is the IRS.  We need to confirm your Social Security Number before continuing this call.  Please tell me your social security number.
What do you need my social security number for?
We need it to verify who you are.
But I know who I am.
No, you misunderstood sir.  We need it to verify who you are.
If I know who I am, why do you need to verify it?
You don't understand.  We need your social security number to verify that you are who we think you are.
Who do you think I am?
Uh ... that's not the point.  If you'll just tell me your number, I can compare it to the number here on my monitor.
Oh, well I don't have my computer or smart phone here, so I don't have a monitor.
What?
I said that I don't have my computer or smart phone here, so I don't have a monitor.
You don't need a monitor.  Just tell me your social security number.
But you said you already had it on your monitor.  You're confusing me.
I'm sorry, I'm not trying to confuse you.  I have a social security number and I want to make sure it's yours.
It can't be mine, I have mine.
Wait ... what?
I said, I have my social security number, so you can't have it.
I don't understand.  Where do you have your social security number?  Is it written down?
Well, it was, but then Charlie ate it.
Charlie ate what?
My social security number.
Who is Charlie?
Oh, Charlie is my golden retriever and my best friend.  Do you sell pets there?
What?  Pets?  No, I don't have any pets here.
You know, pets can help you feel happier when you're cranky like that.
I'm not cranky sir.  Do you know your social security number?
Of course.
Would you mind telling me what it is?
Oh, it's a 9 digit number assigned to each person so the Social Security Administration can uniquely identify that person.
Yes, I know that.
Why did you ask if you already knew?  Is this a test?  Because I'm really bad at tests.
No, it's not a test.  I need to know the 9 digits of your social security number so we can continue this call and give you important information.
Do you want them in order?
Of course.
OK.  2-3-4-5-6-8-9
That's only seven digits.
Oh.  You want me to repeat duplicate values?
What?
Do you want me to repeat duplicate values.  Like if there are 2 threes in my social security number, do you want me to repeat the 3?
I have no idea what you mean.
Well, if I repeat duplicate values then my social security number in order is 2-3-3-4-5-6-8-8-9
Just a moment please.
I'm sorry, but that's not a valid social security number.  Could you please repeat it so I can double-check?
Sure.  2-3-3-4-5-6-8-8-9
That can't be right - that number is not currently in use.
You mean I was assigned an invalid Social Security Number?  How did that happen?
No.  I meant you couldn't ... I don't know.  Are you sure you're reading the number correctly?
Well, I could get my reading glasses.
OK. Please get them and then read the number again.
I wasn't reading the number.
Wait ... what?  Where are you getting the number from?
I got it from the Social Security Administration.  I thought we already covered that.
No.  I mean where are you getting the number from now?
I'm not getting the number now.  It was assigned right after I was born.
OK.  Let's just stop for a minute.  I need to know your social security number.  Do you know what it is?
You already asked me that.  It's a 9 digit number assigned to each person so the Social Security Administration can uniquely identify that person.
Shit.  Are you serious?  Just tell me the damned number!
If you're not going to be polite, I won't help you figure out the social security number on your monitor.
I'm not interested in the number on my damned monitor.  I want you to tell me what your number is.
This is the third time you've asked me what a social security number is.  If you don't know by now, you need to go through your training again.
- click -

If I've been online here on E but I haven't replied to your post or message, there are several possible reasons - none of which involve ignoring you.  Be patient - I'm worth it.
ONs & OFFs Plus Other Goodies!    2018-01-16 Updated A/As

Oreo