What's in the news?

Started by Beorning, September 21, 2014, 07:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beorning

Well, you can find solace in the fact that the scandal really killed Wright's career. Stormwatch: Team Achilles was actually a hot book back then - but the backlash against Wright was so big that DC / Wildstorm canned it immediately. And he hasn't done anything in comics since then...

Hm. I actually saw this whole scandal explode in real time. I read about the revelations about Wright on Newsarama at the time they happened. Oh dear, it's hard to imagine that it was actually 12 years ago already...

Zakharra

Quote from: Briar Rose on February 06, 2015, 09:52:50 AM
How do you know a politician is lying?

Their mouth is open and lips are moving.   ;D

Quote from: Valthazar on February 06, 2015, 09:17:20 AM
Sad reality is that almost everyone who reaches national prominence had to do some lying/fabrication along the way.  Hillary Clinton claimed she landed under sniper fire in Bosnia, and now people view her as a Democratic favorite.  So that just shows how accepted lying has become.

For one party, lying is a resume enhancer.  :|

gaggedLouise

Cute. I remember a well-known/infamous charismatic reverend from around here who said in an interview "yeah man, I'm the spiritual mentor of Sting and a bunch of other stars, those are the people I meet when I'm in Hollywood". The guy had spent some time on and off in LA, had been moving in the lower rungs of the jet set and been on American tv briefly a few times, so the claim sounded good - and it was aimed for domestic gossip in Sweden of course, many thousands of miles from California. When a paper here actually e-mailed Sting's press secretary and asked, the reply came back fast: "Sting doesn't have any connections with this person".  :D

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Kythia

Supermarkets have been warned not to put daffodils in the fruit and veg aisle in case they're confused with onions.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-31176748

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Less sarcastically, it actually seems reasonable.  It's talking about daffodil bulbs, not the flowers and noting that they're a)highly poisonous and b)there have been cases where it has happened.  "Don't put poisonous stuff in the fruit and veg aisle" - which is essentially what the warning is saying - is one of those things that really kinda shouldn't need a warning.

Oniya

I was going to make a comment about leeks and daffodils, but yeah.  Any bulb-type flower (tulips, lilies, etc) looks pretty darn similar to an onion up until the time that they flower.  Although there are some onions that are cultivated specifically for their flower.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Lustful Bride

Oregon Judge Declares that Upskirt photos are not illegal after a 61 year old man was arrested and sent to trial for using a phone to take pictures up a 13 year old girl's skirt.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/oregon-judge-taking-photos-up-girls-skirt-not-illegal/ar-AA95oKA?ocid=HPCDHP

I think this judge should be fired for incompetence.

Dimir

Quote from: Lustful Bride on February 07, 2015, 10:48:36 AM
Oregon Judge Declares that Upskirt photos are not illegal after a 61 year old man was arrested and sent to trial for using a phone to take pictures up a 13 year old girl's skirt.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/oregon-judge-taking-photos-up-girls-skirt-not-illegal/ar-AA95oKA?ocid=HPCDHP

I think this judge should be fired for incompetence.

So taking a photo up a 13-year old girl's skirt doesn't count as violating any lewd conduct laws in the State of Oregon, what the hell!
My PM Box is always open for those who wish to chat with someone.
Major fan of Magic The Gathering, Sailor Moon and Pokemon
O/O's: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=221869.0

Kythia

Why?

QuoteLawrence said he filed for an acquittal in the case because there was no Oregon law that Buono had violated.

This doesn't seem like an incompetent judge.  In fact, not acquitting would seem to me to make him an incompetent judge who should be fired/

LisztesFerenc

Quote from: Dimir on February 07, 2015, 10:52:34 AM
So taking a photo up a 13-year old girl's skirt doesn't count as violating any lewd conduct laws in the State of Oregon, what the hell!

From what I can tell, lewd conduct involves sexually touching yourself or someone else (consensually, its a different crime otherwise). The crime either needs to takes place in public, or falls under child protection laws and refers to consensual sexual acts that do not fit the parameters of intercourse. So it doesn't seem like he would have broken lewd conduct laws anywhere, unless I missed something.

consortium11

The laws the man was accused of breaking are this and this in some degree (either 1, 2, 3).

The issue is that none of them seem to apply; the invasion of personal privacy requires the victim to be in a stare of nudity and "panty shots" don't appear to qualify while the various encouraging child sexual abuse all require the recording/picture to be of "sexually explicit conduct"... which is defined as:

Quote(a) Sexual intercourse or deviant sexual intercourse;

(b) Genital-genital, oral-genital, anal-genital or oral-anal contact, whether between persons of the same or opposite sex or between humans and animals;

(c) Penetration of the vagina or rectum by any object other than as part of a medical diagnosis or treatment or as part of a personal hygiene practice;

(d) Masturbation;

(e) Sadistic or masochistic abuse; or

(f) Lewd exhibition of sexual or other intimate parts.

Again, none seem to apply... the closest would be "lewd exhibition" and yet the girl wasn't exhibiting herself, let alone doing so lewdly.

This is one of the lawmakers... a judge can't invent offences where none exist because he morally disagrees with someones conduct.

Oniya

He might, however, have broken federal law.

https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/108/s1301/text

Relevant bits for the TL;DR

‘(a) Whoever, in the special maritime and territorial jurisdiction of the United States, has the intent to capture an image of a private area of an individual without their consent, and knowingly does so under circumstances in which the individual has a reasonable expectation of privacy, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than one year, or both.

‘(3) the term ‘a private area of the individual’ means the naked or undergarment clad genitals, pubic area, buttocks, or female breast of that individual;
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

LisztesFerenc

Do you have an expectation of privacy in public? I thought you didn't.

Oniya

I leave that bit for the lawyers to hash out. 

Dimir

I understand the supporting arguments for the judge's decision a bit clearer now.

Valthazar

Is there a difference between taking a picture between the legs of a girl wearing jeans vs. a girl wearing a skirt vs. a girl wearing a bikini?

edit:  changed to girl, not woman.

Oniya

1) Jeans conceal the underwear
2) Bikinis - unless covered by a sarong/skirt/coverup - have no other clothing concealing them.

While targeting your lens specifically at that part of anyone's anatomy is crude, there is no surreptitiousness involved, compared to angling a camera up under someone's skirt.  (Or kilt, for that matter - searching for the mythical blue ribbon should be done openly!  ;D )

Deamonbane

Quote from: Zakharra on February 06, 2015, 10:42:40 PM
Their mouth is open and lips are moving.   ;D
So... politicians can't lie while using sign language? I think a motion should be presented, in that case, to make all spoken and written languages to be banned from political use, and only sign language used.
Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

Dimir

Global same-store sales at McDonalds fall for the month of January, continuing onward with constant monthly same-store sale declines.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-02-09/mcdonald-s-posts-drop-in-global-january-sales-as-slump-lingers

AndyZ

One of the new universe models being worked upon doesn't have a Big Bang, instead claiming that the universe is eternal.

http://phys.org/news/2015-02-big-quantum-equation-universe.html

It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

TheGlyphstone

That feels like a violation of the second law of thermodynamics, but i cannot physics hard enough to be sure one way or the other.

AndyZ

Anything I want to type would just be a guess, though I'm curious why - if the universe has existed forever - aliens haven't colonized inordinate amounts of it.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

TheGlyphstone

Infinity is a very hard concept to grasp. If the universe is in fact infinite, then there would have been an infinite number of alien civilizations, rising and colonizing the galaxy then disappearing/going extinct, and they have done so an infinite number of times, leaving both extensive traces of their existence and absolutely no trace of their existence infinite times each. There have been an infinite number of incidences of creatures indistinguishable from humans evolving on a planet indistinguishable from Earth - they have died off pre-civilization an infinite number of times, wiped themselves out in civil war an infinite number of times, and colonized the galaxy an infinite number of times.

Infinity is weird.

gaggedLouise

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on February 11, 2015, 12:46:26 AM
Infinity is a very hard concept to grasp. If the universe is in fact infinite, then there would have been an infinite number of alien civilizations, rising and colonizing the galaxy then disappearing/going extinct, and they have done so an infinite number of times, leaving both extensive traces of their existence and absolutely no trace of their existence infinite times each. There have been an infinite number of incidences of creatures indistinguishable from humans evolving on a planet indistinguishable from Earth - they have died off pre-civilization an infinite number of times, wiped themselves out in civil war an infinite number of times, and colonized the galaxy an infinite number of times.

Infinity is weird.

Like, the Eternal Return of all people, all creatures and all events? Even the dinosaurs will have evolved and gone extinct an incalculable number of times under that kind of premise - and there would also be planets where the dinosaurs had remained supreme, even where some of them would have evolved into intelligent animals inventing writing, science etc and investigating their own history...

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Beorning

Quote from: gaggedLouise on February 11, 2015, 03:28:18 AM
Like, the Eternal Return of all people, all creatures and all events? Even the dinosaurs will have evolved and gone extinct an incalculable number of times under that kind of premise - and there would also be planets where the dinosaurs had remained supreme, even where some of them would have evolved into intelligent animals inventing writing, science etc and investigating their own history...

Well, I'm not surprised by that possibility. After all, BSG has already taught me that humanity has created Cylons untold times already. And it will create them again... and again...

*ducks*

In the local news, the farmers' unions back here are protesting... and threatening to block the capital completely. While I understand the right of the unions to protest, I can't help thinking: why is that the unions think that it's okay to protest by blocking roads? For me, it's not just protesting anymore... it's trying to *coerce* the government to take this or that action...

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: gaggedLouise on February 11, 2015, 03:28:18 AM

Pretty much. Like I said, infinity is weird, if you extend it far enough.