The lord of the rings: The fellowship(s) of the ring.

Started by applesauce, November 15, 2010, 02:51:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

applesauce

Accepted,

apologies for I may not be able to get the IC up today.
Note the word may, it depends on how much longer I have to work.

Hopefully I will be able to! :)

Malgriff

can I join to? plz plz plz I love lotr just checking before I make a character

applesauce

applesauce

Malgriff

Name: ElestirnĂ« Alelawiel  (Often called Ele by close friends)
Race: human
Appearance:  Strong average build, deep green eyes, long honey brown hair that comes to the middle of her back and naturally wavy. She has a Soft round face but with some definition in her cheeks and her chin. Brought up as a warrior so she often wears a lightweight tunic, thick leather chest armor and gloves, all in earthy colours, flexible leggings and knee length leather boots. Sometimes has a lightweight helm with metal cross but leather between the spaces.
Weapons: Crossbow and twin daggers

Burden: Small parcel of kings foil, prepared bandages, skinning knife, hooded cloak of wool, tinder box, flints, crossbow bolts (and spare arrow heads) These are contained in a large cloth that it tied around her waist above her belt, except the skinning knife which is sheathed on her belt with her daggers.

Bio:  Born and raised in Lond Daer she was raised by her father and had to be disguised as a boy to accompany him in his sometimes dangerous travels around middle earth.  When she came of age she revealed her gender to her village and was hailed a hero by the women but still shunned by the men. Disregarding them after her father passed away she took up traveling on her own and often visited Rivendale to speak with the elves and learn about medicine.

Have you read the books?: [Yes but once and quite a while ago]
Have you seen the movie?: [Yes many times]

Abilities: (Other than skills in her weapons) voice and sound imitation.

I don’t have a dice but I have a pack of cards I can use one to six and shuffle them if need be, or find a program to do dice rolls for me.

Lynnie

minerva7790

Okays, I've posted IC! Looking forward to a good game with everyone~
'But I will wear my heart upon my sleeve
For daws to peck at: I am not what I am.'

Ons and Offs ~ Absences and Apologies

RubySlippers

Anyone playing a magic-using character, and is there room for one more?

minerva7790

Quote from: RubySlippers on November 26, 2010, 03:22:04 PM
Anyone playing a magic-using character, and is there room for one more?

Uhh, pardon me, but I'm a little bit of a stickler for canon. I don't think there was ever any magic in LotR. The elves (of which my character is one of) are good at enhancing ordinary items (like Galadriel's cloaks for the Fellowship) and control the elements (like Elrond did at the Ford of Bruinen). Things that Samwise Gamgee calls 'elf-magic'. And the wizards we see in the books are actually of the race of Maiar, or lesser gods, as I tend to think of them. Their 'magic' is supernatural power.

So, if you mean 'elf-magic', then since my character is an elf, then yes, I am playing a magic-using character. Magic is not his biggest strength, though. So perhaps you could think of creating an elf character that is more adept at controlling the elements? Just my humble opinion... What does our GM think?

RubySlippers

Did I say Wizard, there are magic items like rings other than the Rings of Power as noted in the film.

I'm thinking a powerful ring but not the biggies, her talent is attunement to that item.

The Forestbraids, the Rings of Nature's Friendship

Description undecided and will have an elven name this ring was forged with a sister ring to beheld by two a bearer from the race of men aand one of the race of elves to allow the wearer to become one with nature as its friend be that beast or plant or surviving (magic effects help one survive in the wilds as any skilled ranger), the ring allows communication with but not command of animals and plants (if intelligent like Ents or living trees). But it does cause strong empathy and friendship with the wearer and a sense of the wilderness they are in aidingin their duty. The wearer is bound to it and is obligated to assist the wild places when harmed and be a Warden of the forests and natural places. This doesn't demand combat however but they are bound to try any means to do their duty. The bearers are chosen by the ring and well thought of by rangers and elven-folk.

minerva7790

Sorry, I'm just pointing out that Tolkien almost never used the word 'magic', unless it was in speech. The Hobbits, for example, tended to think of elves as magical. The Rings of Power would be a fine example of the elves' ability to imbue objects with unnatural properties, I think.

But as I say, I'm a stickler for canon. It's entirely up to the GM, applesauce. It's not entirely impossible for someone to have a ring with certain 'magical' properties. Maybe a family heirloom, or something given to your character by an elf as a token of friendship?

Again, just my opinion. I apologise if I am overstepping the line. *bows*

Lynnie

There are wizards in LOTR. Gandalf the Gray was a wizard. So there is "magic" in this world.

minerva7790

Hmm, yes, as I said, 'wizards' like Gandalf and Saruman are of the race of the Maiar. They're akin to lesser gods, which is where their power comes from. It's not the kind of magic that is conventional in most fantasy books. You'll never see Gandalf chanting an incantation or brewing a potion.

RubySlippers

He is right Wizards were a small and elite group of beings immortal and in human male form.

Elves have magical powers, so do the powerful divine forces and Sauron and some of his servants, Wraiths.

But items of magic did exist which I'm thinking a young human woman just chosen to bear the ring of men of the two rings, by the ring. But she would have no other skills to start so will be wanting to learn fighting and other useful skills. To counterbalance her being a Ringbearer of a powerful ring but not a Ring of Power. Since in the movie Gandalf stated in the Fellowship of the Ring there are many magic rings, I assume other items. She will be just ,training, but have a really nice ring.

minerva7790

Yeah, I do like your story, RubySlippers. And I do agree, it is possible for magical items like weapons or jewelery to exist. Elves were expert craftsmen (having had years to hone their skill), and I wouldn't be surprised if they put a little of their power in their crafts.

Again, sorry for being so picky about staying true to the books. I just feel that it won't do Tolkien justice to have it otherwise.

RubySlippers

I am to actually, magic in LoTR was just not that common oh hell pretty rare considering. You just don't crank out magic like in DnD.

applesauce

Sorry for not posting, its been a busy week! :P posted first post today hooray! :P

minerva7790

Quote from: RubySlippers on November 27, 2010, 11:11:35 AM
I am to actually, magic in LoTR was just not that common oh hell pretty rare considering. You just don't crank out magic like in DnD.

Haha yay for Tolkien's work! Yeah, 'magic' in the Middle Earth is uncommon and unlike in other universes like, say, DnD or Harry Potter. And that's why I would be wary about calling it magic. I'm glad we're on the same page, though. ;)

RubySlippers

But when they had magic, wow.  :o

Gandy holding off a Balrog and taking it down - yowza!  :o  Ok he wasn't an ordinary mortal but the Balrog did really kill him to so tit for tat.

Malgriff

just a quick question how are we going to form the felloships? join them straight away or just follow in our own group?

applesauce

Photo

I know that everyone has started, but my interest in this group is very high. I would be interested in making a character and joining the game. I'll start working on it without permission, but I'll only post it once i have the word.

I would prefer to have a female, but it was rare for women to appear in the book as travelers or fighters. A male character will be easier for me to make anyway, so I'm going to be working on a woman. I'll wait for the GM's instructions, please let me know if i should rather make a man, or if i should make a character at all.

Thanks, I felt like that was a confusing  post
Apologies and Absences

MIA MIA MIA MIA MIA MIA

Lypiphera

I would also like to play a female: A dunedain ranger if possible (Although I understand Varis is currently a ranger and wouldn't want to tread on any toes). I could perhaps join the party later on rather than now everyone has started if thats easier too.

As for so many females joining personally I think that was a reflection of the time in which Tolkien wrote rather than a reflection on the world of middle earth itself. He was quite bold for his time in having strong female characters like Arwen and Eoywn and never once mentions that the characters think of women as 'inadequate' in that regard. I believe the main argument behind Eoywn riding to war wasn't that she didn't know how to fight but that she was needed alive to help carry on her house's name. But hey ho its up to the GM :)!

Let me know if you can accept another ranger, or another female, as i'd love to play!

RubySlippers

By the way my character could use a sister or brother or other party to see to her education and protection since she has zero combat skills or real training, just is a Ringbearer of a ring that has alot to learn.

Malgriff

I'll be your brother or sister ruby, I dont mind which :3