One-on-One: Hunter Phoenix and Sophidian

Started by Sophidian, August 12, 2010, 05:04:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hunter Phoenix

He shook his head

"I garuntee that your daughter will return home safely, I swear on my own life that no harm will come to her, she is a strong woman, she can do things that I have never seen before, it was her idea to go in the first place and I agree that we need to put an end to the demons once and for all, please, just think about it for a while, I'll leave the coins with you, they are part payment for letting me stay here at the inn, if you want more, let me know"

Lièrén bowed to Tanaka and then left the office, breathing out as he closed the door, he had been nervous all the way through the talk and he didn't know what the answer would be.
Where Will A Creature Of Darkness Hide If Not In The Shadows Of The Night.

Sophidian

Tanaka's gaze turned back to the coins before he swept them into a bag. If Shie didn't come back... There'd be hell to pay.

---

Shie found Lièrén at the top of the stairs, right by her father's office. With a sigh, she came forward, hands out before her. "He couldn't have said no to whatever you asked..."
Ons & Offs -- Searching for RPers -- A & As (September)

"Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass."
-- Anton Chekhov

Hunter Phoenix

Lièrén nodded

"Indeed, he seemed to think that I had just given him one hundred gold coins as compensation incase you don't return, which is why I will now lay my own life on the line to make sure we succeed and you come back to him"

He laughed

"You know when I first came here and I said that I had to leave my village because I killed a couple of guards over a loaf of bread, I didn't tell you the truth..."

He took a deep breath and continued

"...the truth is, I broke into the mayor of my villages house and I stole all of the money he had, every single gold coin, that is why I cannot return, I am a dead man if I even walk close to there, they have been searching for me like mad ever since it happened, in order to escape, I had to kill twelve guards"

He looked up into Shie's eyes

"Please, I don't want this to affect our friendship, I did what I had to do, he was a greedy man, taxing us into poverty, I tried to take the gold back and give it to the people, but I never got that far and I had to flee for my life, taking the gold with me, now I help wherever I can across the land, seeking forgiveness for what I did, this is the final test for me, to see that I have changed, whether I live to see the end of this or not, I will protect you and end this threat"

Sophidian

Shie stared up at him, knowing her mouth had parted in shock, knowing that should be forgiving and understand. But the words "kill twelve guards" echoed in her head. She backed away from him without thinking, her head shaking. "You... Killed people? A dozen people?"

"Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass."
-- Anton Chekhov

Hunter Phoenix

Lièrén nodded

"Yeah....twelve people, I aren't proud of it, I'm deeply ashamed, you are the first person I have told since I left my village"

He looked down feeling ashamed, not able to meet her gaze.

Sophidian

Shie took another step back, staring at his hands. If she let her mind get away with itself, she could see the blood. She could see each shade of red. "I... I can't believe this."

She heard the calls from downstairs and shivered. "I have to go work."

-- Anton Chekhov

Hunter Phoenix

Lièrén nodded, not looking up.

WHen she had gone, he walked ot his room and picked up his swords, strapping them in a cross on his back. He also took out another pouch from his pack and attached it to his belt and then he went out of his room and outside, he avoided everyones looks and left the inn.

Without a backward glance, he exited the village and made his way east, heading for the mountains and the caves where the demons were rumoured to have come from, if he kept up a steady pace, he could be there before morning.

Sophidian

Shie finished serving and took a seat behind the bar, staring at her hands. All the thoughts running through her head began to make her feel queasy. He had helped, after all. And his reasons weren't selfish; they were noble. He wanted to help his village as much as he wanted to help hers. But how could she be sure he told the truth now? Did he really have a family? Did he really have a son?

With her stomach churning, she rose and made her way upstairs, wanting to speak to him. Wanting to yell at him and demand that he tell her everything truthfully. Tell her that he hadn't killed people except as a last recourse. Seeing his door opened, she peeked inside and felt the blood rush out of her face.

"Lièrén!" She raced down the stairs, looking for where he could have gone. "Lièrén!"

-- Anton Chekhov

Hunter Phoenix

After walking for several hours, he reached the base of the mountains, he looked up and saw that they reached a great distance into the sky, he took a deep breath and began to climb, finding footholds and crevices he could use to scale part of the wall till he came to a ledge, he walked along the ledge till he reached what looked to be a cave entrance, he drew his swords and kept his eyes and ears open for any sight or sounds that could define where he was supposed to be going, it was dark and he didn't know how deep the cave was, he decided to return to the ledge and camp there for the night, resting before venturing into the cave in the morning.

He hoped Shie was ok and that she would not come after him. Maybe she didn't even know he had left.

Sophidian

Shie scrambled along rocky edge of the cliff, trying to find good footholds and the like. She'd left an hour after Lièrén, having taken that long to pack up and find the proper equipment to go. Knowing she was far behind, she ran the majority of the way, or at least as much as she could, and now moved slowly, out of breath, trying to catch up to a man she hoped had gone this way...

-- Anton Chekhov

Hunter Phoenix

Lièrén awoke to the sound of scratching, he was instantly alert, he drew a sword and looked around, it wasn't coming from the cave, it was coming from the cliff face he had climbed the night before.

He shifted to the edge and was just about to strike when a wave of hair showed itself, followed by the face of Shie, he fell back onto the ledge, shocked.

"Shie! Wha...what are you doing here?"

Sophidian

"Well," she said, huffing as she pulled herself onto the ledge, "you left without me. I thought we were supposed to do this together." Tossing the bag aside, she took a few deep breaths, trying to catch hers. "You certainly walk quickly."

-- Anton Chekhov

Hunter Phoenix

He couldn't help but laugh, he helped her up onto the ledge and then hugged her.

"I thought you wouldn't want to come anymore with me, since I told you the truth behind me having to leave my village"

Sophidian

"It's certainly not what I wanted to hear," she said, trying to temper the thoughts in her mind. "But I have to ignore that for now. We have a job to do." Unlatching the second bag - full of food and water - she sat down on the ground. "And I am in desperate need of a rest..."

-- Anton Chekhov

Hunter Phoenix

Lièrén nodded and sat back, moving out of Shie's way so that she could sit down and rest.

"Take as long as you need, the cave is quite deep, you rest here while I go inside and do some poking around, I will be ten minutes maximum, I promise I will not go on without you again"

He left a sword with her and took the other one with him into the cave, he was cautious, keeping his eyes and ears peeled for any sign or sound of movement, he probed deeper and deeper into the caves until he heard the sound of distant hissing, deciding that he had gone far enough, he edged back to the exit and sat down again.

"I think we got lucky, there are demons in there and a lot of them by the sounds of it, I didn't look any further in case I was spotted"

Sophidian

"That is an odd thing to consider lucky." She sighed and rose, stretching out her limbs. "Do you think we can do this? There are more than just one or two this time..."

-- Anton Chekhov

Hunter Phoenix

Lièrén nodded

"With your magical talent and these blades, we can easily cut our way through them, I am sure of it, do you think we can do it?"

Sophidian

"I wish I had even an ounce of your confidence." Shie stretched out her arms, flexed her fingers, and sighed.

"Okay. We can do this. I'm sure we can! But...you lead."

-- Anton Chekhov

Hunter Phoenix

He nodded

"No sweat, we'll be back in the village before you know it"

He kissed her on the forehead, as both a sign of good luck and because he felt like it could be the last time he would see her when they entered this God forsaken cave.

"Stay close behind me and be ready to run if things get out of hand, no matter what ok? You just run and don't look back, leave me behind if you have too"

Then he pressed on into the cave before she could reply, keeping silent, his sword held out in front of him, eyes and ears peeled for the hissing sounds he had heard the night before, soon they were heard and he stopped.

"Ok, here we go, luck to us both sweet Shie"

Then he stepped forward into the cave opening, he was confronted by hundreds of beady red eyes and rows and rows of teeth.

"Hello beasties"

He spoke softly at the demons and then ran into them with the speed of a dervish, cutting down five of the demons instantly and then cutting through more and more with each swing, he took minor hits and cuts as he went through them, but he was holding his own much better than he had before when he had handled the group back in the town. Maybe The Gods had given him renewed energy and tougher skin for this task, either way, he was handling the matter much better, the sword enhanced by the runes engraved by Shie, burning and cutting through demons like paper and still they came, three more springing forward for everyone of their brethren that fell.

"Shie, how are you doing?"

He didn't know if Shie could hear him or not, he was surrounded by demons trying to slash and hack at him, only being moderatly successful, he was bleeding lightly from several cuts on his chest and arms, but he wasn't nearly as bad, he and Shie had the advantage, the demons were eager to tear the two of them to shreds and were getting in each others way, impairing the amount of damage they could deal.

Sophidian

Shie twirled with the flow of the demons, using the sword the best she could when she felt her power tap out. Sparks of light, all from her hands, shot up to the ceiling as she repelled the monsters back. "I'm fine," she called out to Lièrén. "Just keep fighting! There as to be something like...like a gate that they're coming out of."

She was a flower of wool again, her petals smacking against the cave walls as she brought her hands down onto another beast, letting the sword fall. "Can you see it?"

-- Anton Chekhov

Hunter Phoenix

He fought his way deeper into the cavern, keeping one eye on the demons which fell before him while the other eye searched for the gate or window they were coming through.

"I can't see it, but the demons seem to be coming from deeper within the cavern, so we need to push on, do you need my help at all or are you ok?"

Sensing that even though Shie was doing well she needed help, Lièrén moved back and fought off the demons by unsheaving another sword he had hidden under the back of his robe and he began twirling them like dervishes once again, cutting down demons like crazy, faster than ever before and soon he was using the swords like a windmill to keep the flow of demons at bay, any venturing close enough would get cut down without a second thought.

"There, that should supply you with some breathing room, I can keep this up, lets go get that demon gate and lets hope there isn't anything like a lord in there waiting for us"

He pressed forward, slashing and hacking demons down by the score, making a path for him and Shie so that they could keep going into the cavern and proceed with their mission.

Sophidian

The very idea of a demon lord made her shudder, but she pressed on anyway. Turning for a moment, she touched the sides of the cave walls and watched the rocks shake. She didn't want to block them in, and she didn't want to hurt them. Allowing a few spurts of thorns out, she coated the ground, knowing their shoes would crush them when they passed by again. The demons wore no shoes.

Jogging forward, she threw out an arm as they came to a place lit from within. No sunlight passed through, just the unearthly glow from a slice in the darkness before them. It pulsed red, violet, blue, violet, red... and it began to enlarge.

"That's not good."

-- Anton Chekhov

Hunter Phoenix

Lièrén nodded in hurried agreement

"I think we found what we were looking for, but it looks like there is something pushing through, we better hurry before it can get through completely"

He ran to the growing slit.

"ermmm......how do we destroy this thing? It isnt attached to anything"

Sophidian

Shie shrugged, almost helplessly. "I'm...not sure. I doubt our swords will do anything." She crept forward, hands coming up to touch the darkness beside her. Nothing tangible. "It looks almost like it's cut into our world."

As she said that, the pulsing colors alternated faster, flickering to almost seizure-inducing levels.

-- Anton Chekhov

Hunter Phoenix

Lièrén nodded and watched as the colours sped up.

"Maybe we have to go through to the otherside to stop it from doing whatever it is doing? What do you think?"

He was unsure as to what to do, he had always been able to deal with a problem but now he was at a complete loss.