Final Fantasy - Interest Check

Started by Cythieus, October 03, 2009, 12:03:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cythieus

With Final Fantasy being one of the top selling game franchises of all time and what got me into Role Playing I was wondering who out there would be interested in a group of four to six people (possibly more if I had another GM to help) playing through our own little version of the game? It would be set in none of the previous worlds, feature none of the previous characters and would mostly borrow many of the concepts, races and archetypes from Final Fantasy.

It would be class based with choices that appear in any of the games and with leveling up based on your role playing ability. Types of characters would be things like the White, Red, and Black mages, or the Archer or Knight. And when it comes to races there would be Humes (Humans), Viera, Galka, and so on.

The game would be made to be free form more than likely, but I would like to keep it to one party per GM. I have a few maps we can pick from and the like and I just wanted to see if there was any desire to play? And if so, what style game, the older or the newer? (Basically, do you prefer stories such as 1-6 or the later games)

Kaiten

This sounds interesting, sounds like you're basing it off more like the last two games though.

If you're mixing final fantasies I think it might be cool, kinda like kingdom hearts but without the disney ones.

crimsonoctopus

I'm interested in this. I like the idea of an original setting too. I've only played some of 1 and 2, and I've finished 6-9 back in my gamer days, so I don't know much about these newer races, but I'm willing to learn if that's the direction you decide to go. Would canon characters from previous Final Fantasy games be allowed? Kind of similar to the unaware Cloud and Aerith making their appearances in tactics?
“A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" - Albert Einstein

My O's & O's: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=43536.0

Lone

Goodbye is forever...A broken heart never heals, it only forgets. So please do not remind me....
O n O

Cythieus

@Kaiten: I kind of hope to get a mix of everything into one if we can, borrow a little from all.

@Crimson: The races aren't too awkward, if you know anything about Tolkien or D&D the Veira are basically Elves that are female only, they're born of the forest and don't seem to reproduce with one another besides being eye candy at the same time. They also wig out when near magical mist.

Kaiten

Just to tell you Crimson, I am 90% sure that FF9 is a remake of 1 in some way.

Viera are basicaly killer bunnies that are humanoid. How dare you make them look cute!

Cythieus

FF9 is pretty much as bastardization of 1-4, maybe not 2, because 2 is really weird.

Tankou

On that very note I wanted to be a viera XP
Prolly a monk or ninja class

Also I am really not that familiar with the earlier FF games. I have played 7, some of 8, 10, 10-2, and 12. I know fo some things in 11 though I haven't played it.

ReijiTabibito

I'm interested, though there are a couple of things I'd like to mention.

1. You do know that there's a free FFRPG system out there, right?

2. I prefer the older style stories - VI was my favorite

Cythieus

I know of several D20 based and other systems out there, including a Risus, D6 and one trying to go on the Cortex system. :)

And I was kind of leaning toward the older style too, Tactics is my favorite.

And unfamiliarity with the games isn't a big hindrance. 12 is actually closer to the old style games than 7, 8 and 10.

Kaiten

6 was a really good one, loved the magi armor and espers. *Hugs Terra*

But just remember that so many of the FInal Fanties were remakes or changed versions. Heck, they still do remakes of them.

ReijiTabibito

Have you heard of Returner Games' System?  Their system is in its 3rd ed, and they've been working on a free adaptation for years.

Cythieus

Not sure about that, Reji. I kind of wanted to keep dice out of it because I am running a D&D game right now with nearly 20 PCs single handedly.

And Kaiten, I liked 6, but there's something special about Rydia from four and four in general. 

ReijiTabibito

Hm.  I see.  What exactly did you mean by 'leveling up based on roleplaying ability'?  And what classes would be available?

kckolbe

6 was my favorite RPG of all time, and Tactics was the only semi recent one I enjoyed.  I am interested though.
Ons/Offs  A/A  Oath of the Drake
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Buffy: The Vampire Slayer(IC#2)
Intro Thread

Cythieus

Basically you would level up dependent upon how active, relevant, and the contribution your character makes to the over all game, the game would probably have to have some sort of discussion to drive the story in some places, probably in the OOC. The thing I am open for suggestions. :)

Also pretty much any class would be available except some of those weird obscure ones or things like the Gambler that could kill everyone. 

ReijiTabibito

If you're talking a discussion between the players, then yeah, the OOC sounds like a good place.

If you mean a discussions between the characters, however, then might I suggest a separate thread titled, I don't know, Travel Talk, for PCs to talk about whatever while they're traveling from place to place, in between scenes?

So, Blue Mages and Rune Knights?  Yes or no?

crimsonoctopus

Creative way to keep OOC IC! Hahahah. I like that.
“A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" - Albert Einstein

My O's & O's: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=43536.0

Zaira

I'd be interested in this (Hope I'm doing this right. Heh). While I tend to lean more towards the style 7, 8 or 10 the more fantasy style based ones usually provide some really interesting points; I suppose the technology of the world really acts as more of a backdrop for me and what elements would exist in the world be more interesting (which style of magic, summons, that sort).
... I've always liked red mages.
"The time would be easy to know, for then mankind would have become as the Great Old Ones; free and wild and beyond good and evil, with laws and morals thrown aside and all men shouting and killing and revelling in joy." - Call of Cthulhu

Cythieus

Quote from: ReijiTabibito on October 03, 2009, 12:42:58 PM
If you're talking a discussion between the players, then yeah, the OOC sounds like a good place.

If you mean a discussions between the characters, however, then might I suggest a separate thread titled, I don't know, Travel Talk, for PCs to talk about whatever while they're traveling from place to place, in between scenes?

So, Blue Mages and Rune Knights?  Yes or no?
Rune Knight? There was one in Tactics right? That should be fine and blue mages are basically the same thing, they absorb.

I actually meant talk between the players. But the characters could talk all they wanted in game.
Quote from: crimsonoctopus on October 03, 2009, 12:44:56 PM
Creative way to keep OOC IC! Hahahah. I like that.

It would be interesting. All in character, as if they're talking after the fact or in their minds or something.

Quote from: Zaira on October 03, 2009, 12:45:27 PM
I'd be interested in this (Hope I'm doing this right. Heh). While I tend to lean more towards the style 7, 8 or 10 the more fantasy style based ones usually provide some really interesting points; I suppose the technology of the world really acts as more of a backdrop for me and what elements would exist in the world be more interesting (which style of magic, summons, that sort).
... I've always liked red mages.

Well there is usually a mix of tech in them all, I mean 6 has Mechs. They all have airships with a few exceptions.

ReijiTabibito

Well, technically, Celes was a Rune Knight, but all she could do was absorb the enemy magic.  If you want more details, I can give you a link to the Returner RPG system wiki, and you can have a look there.

And actually, the Travel Talk idea was inspired by the Tales Of RPG series, with their optional skits in between pre-planned scenes.  FFVI to a degree, as well, like where the characters are coming down from the tower after the boss battle in Zozo.

Cythieus

The IC seems like an interesting idea, I might use it and I would be interested in seeing that link too.

Also, I was going to say I might be using one of my D&D maps to start and just altering it .

ReijiTabibito

Well, if you decide to, awesome.  And here's the link - it's to the Jobs (Classes) chapter of the core rulebook, but I assume you can navigate if you want to see other parts.  The classes here are just the standard - there are fan-created ones, but I avoid those, since most are horribly overbalanced.

http://www.returnergames.com/ord/index.php/Chapter_Four:_Jobs

Cythieus

Overbalanced? Or not enough balancing.

And I think I might use this map because no one else seems to want to :(

http://i34.tinypic.com/25zqkas.jpg

ReijiTabibito

Not enough, I guess.  Like there are some magic-using fan classes that give the character an HP die of d10 (the second highest), when all the magic-focused jobs have an HP die of d6, the lowest.  Mages aren't meant to be tanks.