Doomtown Reloaded (Still Recruiting)

Started by Ciosa, April 04, 2014, 09:09:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ciosa

Also, I'm pimping my own image thread if people are looking for western themed images.  Because I have no shame.

Sindra

I am going to get a fresh, shiny and new OOC thread and a brand new Who's Who thread up this evening (have some RL errands to run first).  For those returning players that are keeping their previous characters, feel free to copy and paste the information and images from the older thread (if you would like).  For new players and/or characters, please feel free to create a 'place holder' with the character image in place (if you are face-claiming someone in particular).  The details of the character can be added after Ciosa and I approve the new characters. 

Please note that the Who's Who thread will have the same rules as it did before.  For those that are unfamiliar, don't worry... the rules will be in the very first post! 

Ciosa

I'm also pimping Kuroneko's Image Thread which has tons of amazing period costumes.

Moon Hound Hati

Tentatively interested for now, mainly cause of the fact that I've yet to do a western game. I'll have a better look at the information before deciding though.
Lingerie is like wrapping paper for the best present in the world     the female body.

Josietta

I'm not sure what the model is for my character pic. I don't think there is a name for her. Its only one image.

❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🖤🤍💖                    ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🖤🤍💖
                                 O.Os   / A.As / Ideas 
                           Warning:  Finicky Muse Ahead!

consortium11

Quote from: Josietta on April 05, 2014, 03:56:12 PM
I'm not sure what the model is for my character pic. I don't think there is a name for her. Its only one image.

Ester Evans I believe.

That shot's one of many she did for Russian designer Ulyana Sergeenko to highlight her jewelry line so there's more (and colour versions out there).

*Who knew erotic RP could lead a man to learning about Russian fashion?*

auroraChloe

Quote from: Josietta on April 05, 2014, 03:56:12 PM

Josi, LOVE that choker. 

a/a 8/21/17

Josietta

Quote from: consortium11 on April 05, 2014, 04:21:43 PM
Ester Evans I believe.

That shot's one of many she did for Russian designer Ulyana Sergeenko to highlight her jewelry line so there's more (and colour versions out there).

*Who knew erotic RP could lead a man to learning about Russian fashion?*

Oooooooo.. *grin*  She is going to be my French Mail Order Bride ;D

O.Os   / A.As / Ideas 

Sindra

We have a new OOC thread!  It's all pretty and shiny  ;D

Ciosa will be modifying the first post frequently to add more bookmarks and such.  At this time, he is only adding them once the thread has been updated. 

The brand new Who's Who thread is also up!  It's link can be found in the first post of the OOC thread.

CurvyKitten

Looks at game, sees CS and brain pops a bit~ well...and...maybe?

Ciosa

Don't be intimidated by the character sheet!  We have a blanket offer to do the number crunching - you just let us know what you want to play and we can run the numbers and make our best stab at it, Curvy.  Send Sindra and I a PM.

Sindra

Quote from: CurvyKitten on April 05, 2014, 05:26:37 PM
Looks at game, sees CS and brain pops a bit~ well...and...maybe?

Quote from: Ciosa on April 05, 2014, 05:29:01 PM
Don't be intimidated by the character sheet!  We have a blanket offer to do the number crunching - you just let us know what you want to play and we can run the numbers and make our best stab at it, Curvy.  Send Sindra and I a PM.

We're more than happy to work on it for you, CurvyKitten if that makes it easier.  If you give us a very clear idea what kind of character you'd like, we can crunch the numbers (as Ciosa mentioned).  I also wanted to add that we would send it to you and tweak it if it's not what you're looking for.  In other words, having us do the character sheet portion doesn't mean you're stuck with whatever we come up with!

CurvyKitten

I'm very tempted, Josi has mentioned some things and given my a few ideas hehe. Let me see what I can come up with and I'll get back to you with info. Thanks by the way!

Ciosa

consortium11

Can I just chuck in a thought on the seemingly intimidating character sheet?

When I first saw it I thought it looked overwhelming with all these different edges, hindrances, stats, aptitudes etc etc. I thought I was going to hate it and it would become the bane of my life and the game itself, with visions of screwing up completely and neutering my character because of my inadequacies etc etc.

It's not.

1) Unless something has significantly changed this is a system-lite game. Across the entire of Doomtown V1.0 I can only really recall stats coming directly into play once. This wasn't a game where every three posts you'd have to check on your character sheet to see if you'd taken attribute X or is aptitude Y combined with Edge Z added up to a certain level.

2) When it did turn out that some of us *looks around shamefaced* had made some mistakes on the sheet (in my case a supposedly badass thug ended up being scared at the sight of blood) both Sindra and Ciosa were happy to let us rejig them as necessary and were wonderful at explaining what needed to be done. This wasn't an excuse to start min/maxing and radically changing characters; it was simply a case of what was on the sheet not reflecting how we saw the characters and so was a (relatively) easy one-off fix.

3) Don't think of the numbers. Think of the stories.

Yes, it's an involved character sheet but for me it was also a wonderful opportunity to develop the character further and pick up on things I might not have done if given a more free-form platform to work with. Each hindrance came with a backstory, each edge came with a history, with each aptitude I didn't pick more history came about, and with a +1 here and a -1 there it all added up to a vision of what the character was. It meant I really focused on that, on who the character was, what his strengths and weaknesses were and how his motivation worked. However much we like to think we all create balanced, well-rounded characters with clear positives and flaws I at least often find myself often creating characters who end up being great at a few things, good at a lot of things, mediocre at a few things and bad at very few. The sheet prevented me from doing that... it made Walter a more well-rounded balanced character.

My view was always this; Walter was a character in my head who I then fitted to the sheet. The emphasis was on the ideas in my head, not the numbers on the page; they just codified what I already wanted him to be. I didn't take the numbers on the page and then create a character from that. And for me at least, it worked perfectly.

xPeachyPuff

Agreed.

That and Ciosa and Sindra are freaking amazing at helping out. I remember when I wanted to join, I was so intimidated and worried about the sheet, but Ciosa just helped me work through it and gave me some awesome ideas to add. (:

Don't be worried, Curvy!

- Rainbow ♥

The Dark Raven

I am interested, but I have no idea where to start.  I was interested before the Great Hiatus as well, I just have to get my brain in gear.  Help?

Check my A/A | O/O | Patience is begged. Momma to Rainbow Babies and teetering toward the goal of published author. Tentatively taking new stories.

Ciosa

Very well said, consortium.  And thank you both for the vote of confidence!  We do try to be heplful throughout the process - and I know the initial creation process is intense, but I think it helps ensure a well developed, defined character by the time game play starts.  Some people find the questions to be the most helpful thing, others the process of putting numbers to paper, limiting their character in certain ways and making sure they're unstoppable in others. 

But we also allow that unfamiliarity can lead to oversight, so we make allowances for change.  So, even if the character is done and you realize something important was left out, w
Quote from: Daylily on April 05, 2014, 06:08:07 PM
I am interested, but I have no idea where to start.  I was interested before the Great Hiatus as well, I just have to get my brain in gear.  Help?
e're willing to hear petitions for change.

Quote from: Daylily on April 05, 2014, 06:08:07 PM

Sure thing, Daylily!  Send Sindra and I a PM, and we can help get the ball rolling.

Josietta

Quote from: CurvyKitten on April 05, 2014, 05:41:00 PM
I'm very tempted, Josi has mentioned some things and given my a few ideas hehe. Let me see what I can come up with and I'll get back to you with info. Thanks by the way!

*snuggles* yays!!!

Ciosa has helped me get my idea going in the proper direction. <3

O.Os   / A.As / Ideas 

CurvyKitten

Quote from: Josietta on April 05, 2014, 06:16:17 PM
*snuggles* yays!!!

Ciosa has helped me get my idea going in the proper direction. <3

You proper...no...I mean YAAY  >:). OK I'll start brain storming!

Sindra

For those of you that have already sent character sheets and are waiting on responses, please note that we are looking at them.  For any interested, the process tends to go as such - Ciosa and I both read over the character, I check the math (you'd be surprised how many people have a point or two extra to spend!) and then we contact the person with any questions or requests for corrections. 

Please make sure that all PMs go to both Ciosa and I.  I know that this has already been stated but it's pretty important. 

We will always try to get back to everyone in a timely manner and no one will be ignored. 

Thanks for post, Consortium!  It was very well stated and I am grateful that you pointed out that modifications to characters can be made even after game start.

And thank you, Rainbow, for the compliment.

Loves

*dances with excitement*

I have sent off my CS to you both :) 

ON HIATUS AGAIN

SGTDan

I'm not worried about face claims, I never use actors or actresses with real photos. I feel weird using any photo of a person that is named already. I prefer finding images that the person isn't named because it feels more blank slatish. Is that a word? Does that make sense? Probably not.

I have a question for those image savvy folks, I need a native woman picture. If you have any good ones, feel free to send me a PM. I should note that I am kind of picky with accuracies when it comes to pictures. When I say Native American, I mean the model is Native American not looks Native American,
“We are all a little weird and life’s a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love.”  -Dr. Seuss
Proudly Demisexual
Do you love Star Trek? Answer the Call to Duty
My RP Requests

Josietta

Quote from: SGTDan on April 05, 2014, 10:40:57 PM
I'm not worried about face claims, I never use actors or actresses with real photos. I feel weird using any photo of a person that is named already. I prefer finding images that the person isn't named because it feels more blank slatish. Is that a word? Does that make sense? Probably not.

I have a question for those image savvy folks, I need a native woman picture. If you have any good ones, feel free to send me a PM. I should note that I am kind of picky with accuracies when it comes to pictures. When I say Native American, I mean the model is Native American not looks Native American,

You should check Ciosa's Image thread.. there are quite a few in there I believe. :)

O.Os   / A.As / Ideas 

Ciosa

Quote from: SGTDan on April 05, 2014, 10:40:57 PM

As Josi mentioned, I have some in my images thread, but I can't speak to the ethnic heritage of any of the models.  Likely the only ones you'll find which are likely to be accurate are some of the old historical pictures, and I'm certain you can find some of those with a little research as to a particular tribe.