News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Anyone familliar with Blue Rose?

Started by Vice, May 26, 2006, 04:34:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vice

Has anyone else heard of, and been intrigued by, Blue Rose from Green Ronin games? It's a romantic fantasy-themed RPG, using their "True 20" system (it's a derivative of the Mutants and Masterminds system, which was a radically stripped-down and re-built version of d20), which actually looks like it would play rather nicely. The rules are very simple (it only uses a single d20 for rolls), and I think the theme would work well here.

The thing is, I'm not really good at running play by post games. Not in the long run, in any case. Rather than petition for a board, what I'd like to do is run a very short-term, single adventure, just to introduce interested parties to the general system and such, and hopefully inspire someone to take up GMing a more long-term game (that I could play in, of course).

Basically, the game takes place in a kingdom called Aldis, a fairly young kingdom dedicated to the ideals of justice and equality. They are beset on all sides by dangers, however; a powerful Lich King to the north, who hungers to subjugate the people of Aldis as he and his kind (The Sorceror Kings) did in the previous age, and to the east, the Theocracy of Jarzon, who hate the Lich King as much as the Aldins do, but who also hate the Aldins for their liberal beliefs and refusal to convert to the Jarzoni religion.

Also, there are numerous darkfiends and such left over from the previous age of Sorceror Kings, greedy merchants, corrupted nobles, corrupted adepts (adepts are the magic users in this system), political intrigue, and of course, romance.

More information can be found at http://www.blueroserpg.com

If this sounds interesting to you, let me know.

Fyrangel

I have all the books as it happens and was running a live game.   Good system, good game.   It's Valdemar with the serial numbers filed off basically.

I'm always interested in such games.

MadPanda

I could be talked into this.  I read some of Tamora Pierce's works while I was in junior high...and I probably would have read them even if someone had told me they were girls' books  ;D ;D ;D

However, I don't have any of the books, and can't really afford to add Yet Another System to the zillions I've already stockpiled over the years, so I'd have to ask for a pre-gen and a lot of system advice from time to time.
Voluptas ailuri fulgentis decretum est!
Omnis nimis, temperantia ob coenobitae.
(Jes, tiuj frazoj estas malĝustaj. Pandoj fakte ne komprenas la latinan!)

One on Ones Suggestion Box
Group Game Suggestion Box
Pandariffic Ons and Otherwise
In Memory of Bishrook

Vice

not much system advice necessary, and character building is easy as pie. There are only three classes, after all. Now, seeing as we've got someone here who already has all of the books (I own the main book) and is familiar with it...perhaps I can con her into taking the idea and running with it? :)

NikitaFirestar

Hmm... this looks like it could be interesting, if there's room for one more...
He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man.

Jefepato

I was never able to find the books.

I have my doubts about the M&M system working for something that isn't superheroes, but if I can get my hands on the book I might be interested...

MadPanda

In Memory of Bishrook

Vice

Quote from: Jefepato on May 27, 2006, 11:26:14 AM
I was never able to find the books.

I have my doubts about the M&M system working for something that isn't superheroes, but if I can get my hands on the book I might be interested...

Well...it's been heavily modified.

As a long-time M&M player/GM, I have to say that aside from the basic mechanics (the damage save system, all rolls using 1 d20), the game isn't that recognizable. For one, it's class-based now (three basic classes), with customization coming from feat selection (you get a feat every level). The skill system has been drastically changed, in a way that I'm willing to give a chance, but many other M&M people seem to strongly dislike. There are no "powers" in the game; the magic system bears more resemblance to the Force Powers from Star Wars d20 than the Sorcery power from M&M.

To this, they've added a "Conviction" mechanic that kind of resembles the Willpower mechanic from Exalted, inasmuch as it rewards you for behaving in accordance with your character's personality, though Conviction works more like a Hero Point than a Willpower point.

It's definitely its own thing...I think it'll work great, and I look forward to finding out.

MadPanda

Reading through the PDFs on the site now.  This is one my wife might enjoy (and daughter, when she gets old enough).

I've already got a character idea in mind.  Two of 'em, in fact...if someone wants to start this, I'd give it a whirl.  I might even experiment a little more than usual.

(emulates his 'son' by rolling around on the ground, exposing his belly, and purring at Fyrangel)

In Memory of Bishrook

Vice

well, I said I'd get the ball rolling with a first adventure. I'd be glad to, perhaps in a thread in one of the Fun & Games threads.

MadPanda

Should we send you char-gen ideas, then?

In Memory of Bishrook

Vice

Certainly. Or post them here, if that would work well.

Fyrangel

I'd be glad to help someone run a game, don't know if I'd do it all on my own.

Jefepato

I'm working on getting a copy of the Blue Rose book.  Once I do, I'll see about character ideas...

Jefepato

On further consideration, Blue Rose looks like it might be worth a shot (although the D&Der in me is sad at the lack of blow-things-up arcana).  Are we thinking of a 1st-level game?

MadPanda

"Look, George!  It's the biggest damn Siamese I ever did see!"

Rhys-cats are...interesting...

In Memory of Bishrook

Vice

Yes, this would be a 1st level game. I would stress that I am committing to run one adventure, and hopefully then get to play when someone takes over. I've found I have bad luck when trying to run long-term games online.

MadPanda

Hmm.  Well, get enough copies of the rules in circulation, and we might be able to do the troupe thing and hand off GMing once in a while...(ducks behind the blast shield)

In Memory of Bishrook

LadyFox

I used to work for a games distribution company, so saw it when it first came through.. I was planning on getting it for myself, but couldn't find any interest locally.. most players around me seem to be the 'how many dice can we roll to make things go boom' variety.  I'd love to give this a try, if there's more room.
She is my broken doll
She lost all her pieces in a big fall
She can't discover
That I will never let her recover

MadPanda

Always room for one more, I'd say.  Especially for a small-press lesser known game like this.  ;D

In Memory of Bishrook

Vice

Sure, you're welcome to join us. For the time being, I wouldn't mind people posting character ideas/stat blocks in this thread...it's a bit easier to read here than in my PM inbox, though if you prefer to PM I guess that's okay too.

MadPanda

If I ever think of a name for him, sure.  And then finish concepts #2 and #3.

The only problem with Rhys-cats is I now have that song from Lady and the Tramp stuck in my head...original lyrics.

"Please observing we are having dainty paws.  Dainty paws is always hiding dainty claws..."

In Memory of Bishrook

LadyFox

I was going to say, don't recall those lines....

And would need info about it to make a character and such....
She is my broken doll
She lost all her pieces in a big fall
She can't discover
That I will never let her recover

MadPanda

There were two versions of the song.  Those two lines were part of the original idea, but it was a trimmed-down version that got used in the movie.

And I think ol' Vice can help you out with the char-gen stuff, easily enough.

In Memory of Bishrook

MadPanda

Quote from: Vice on June 01, 2006, 03:22:47 PM
Sure, you're welcome to join us. For the time being, I wouldn't mind people posting character ideas/stat blocks in this thread...it's a bit easier to read here than in my PM inbox, though if you prefer to PM I guess that's okay too.

Okay, just so everyone else can see where my mind's going...here's the (publicly posted) version of the PC formerly submitted as Concept #1.  Not being too clear on Aldin naming conventions, I'm winging it (and going pseudo-Cymric)

Kerwyn Halderi

19 year old human male, slender build, 5' 7", 140 pounds, clean shaven, wears his long wavy dark brown hair swept back in a ponytail, black eyes, medium olive complexion

Strength 0
Dexterity +2
Constitution 0
Intelligence +2
Wisdom 0
Charisma +2

Expert Lv 1
Aldin background

Combat:
Attack +0
Melee +0
Ranged +2
Defense 16 (14 if unable to Dodge)

Saves:
Toughness +0
Fortitude  +0
Reflex +4
Will +2

Conviction: 3

Skills:
*Diplomacy +6
*Gather Information +6
*Know (Nobility) +6
Know (History) +4
*Perform (Dance) +6
*Sense Motive +4
*Ride +6
*Sneak +6
Language (Aldin,Roamer,Jarzoni)
(* = favored)

Feats:
Armor Training (Light)
Fascinate (Diplomacy)
Favors
Weapon Training
Arcanum: Psychic Shield

Inner Nature:
Alignment--Light
Calling--Temperance (mediation of extremes)
Light Nature--Seven of Chalices (Practical)
Shadow Nature--Knight of Chalices (Manipulative)

Equipment:
Traveler's Clothes
Leather Armor
Dagger
Quarterstaff
Set of Courtier's Clothing with jewelry

Wealth Bonus +7 (Currently +2)

Background to come, but Kerwyn is your garden-variety civil-service nobleman and negotiator.

In Memory of Bishrook