[Homebrew Pathfinder] Omneiro, City of Dreams (Recruitment Thread)

Started by ManyMindsManyVoices, February 04, 2011, 01:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ManyMindsManyVoices

"Omneiro... City of Dreams..." Words that have been repeated many times, but rarely words that you'll hear within the limits of the grand metropolis. Those who have lived there long enough, can see the truth of the place. It is a political mess, where the King is a lazy playboy and the guilds run the streets, and hope to run the city. The mages and the religious factions fight against one another as well as the new technological front. Great wonders are abound in the city, magical and technological, but that is jut a mask.

At its very heart, Omneiro is a place of corruption, where law is a guise for greed, lust, and darkness. Of course, maybe that's just the way the world is, maybe if you put any society under a microscope, that's how it'll look. Maybe, in truth, Omneiro is the most honest city in the world, because while they'd never talk about it, everyone knows there's skeletons in the closet.

And you, you're just another part of it, aren't you?

~~~~~

Welcome to my Open-World, Homebrew City, where they system just exists to hold the setting together and adjudicate conflict. Join us, help us make Omneiro a living and breathing place. I will be your GM, alongside Pyrkinas, and other members who eventually give me a reason to feel they would do well in that position. The first line on this page is a link to the setting information and world's house rules. Please, peruse it, come up with ideas, and see below for the rules to make those things come to life.

IC Threads
Omneiro, City of Dreams
The Vorpal Blade

(Check out the OOC Thread and the Character Thread.)
My O/Os * Everyone should read 1/0

This is the Oath of the Drake. You should take it.

ManyMindsManyVoices

Building Characters
Characters in this world are not all equal, and this isn’t a game of conflict and battle or passion and sex (though those themes are acceptable, simply not the game's focus). It’s a game about the lives of characters in a fantasy world, each exceptional in their own way.

(Note: When you design your characters, send them to me by PM and design a character summary for the Character Thread that would be similar to the one you might use in a non-System game. Considering the nature of this game, it would be better if the characters do not know the stats of other characters, as the various characters may be allies or enemies at any given time, depending on the desires of the players and the storylines involved. I will keep an up-to-date tab of the characters in a PM which I will send to other DMs periodically.)

Character Creation will begin on this page, using the rules there and the ones following:

Character Concept
Your character concept will go through me, and we will determine what point-buy you’ll get, what starting gold, if you get traits, and if you can use a special race. Also, not everyone will start at the same level, I want diversity.

(Note: I will let players make multiple characters, but only after I’ve seen consistent posts (or their base character has moved on or died). To avoid any hurt feelings or complications, I will extend invitations to players I trust, know, or am impressed with , to make more characters or design characters with a larger focus in the plot. If you really have a strong urge to play something different and/or your character concept for a major (or second/third/etc.) character is very interesting, go ahead and send me a request. However, my decisions will take many factors into account.)

Third Party Materials
Generally, anything made by Paizo will be okay, but check with me on anything from Paizo peripherals. Otherwise, no Third Party stuff until you run it by me completely, and I really don’t want to use fan-made stuff. I will possibly allow feats (and MAYBE spells) from the 3.5 Player’s Handbook 2 and the Complete books, if it can fit into the existing Paizo rules and fits your character concept well.

Character Sheets
I prefer to use PlotHooks for your character sheets, and remember to make your character public. Also, please keep these organized, so try to think ahead of time, like when you’re doing spells known, leave space for spells you’ll learn in the future so that they can be arranged by level.

Point Buy Rules
Most characters are ‘adventurer types’, unique individuals from the norm, and gain 22 points in point-buy. Some are particularly exceptional, however, and get a 25-point-buy. The rest of the characters will be less adventurous (barkeepers, tradesmen,  and such) generally with a 15-point-buy, or people that fit in a bit of a limbo (nobles, thieves, guards) with 18-point-buy.

Race
You can pick any of the standard races, and maybe the third party races (as per the above rules about 3PP). Races from the Bestiary may be used, if you go through me, but you may have to tradeoff traits or point-buy for it.

(Note on Languages: The listed Languages under Linguistics all work, though the extraplanar ones will be rarer and may be used differently. Also, add Eldritch (the language of magic), Thieves’ Cant (a secret language which includes signals and special words to hide meaning), and Sign Language (which is a rare language and has special rules regarding it, and cannot be chosen as a base language unless your character is deaf). Also, it takes 2 ranks in Linguistics to learn a new language.)

Classes
Alignment restrictions are generally guidelines, especially if you have a good character concept. Try to follow them, but if you can explain it well, go ahead and break them. Alignment is subjective anyway, and I may change your character alignment to fit my outlook (just because it matters to Detect spells and such).

Prestige classes are fine, though those alignment restrictions should be adhered to unless you ask me specifically (except for Assassins, they can be treated like other classes for alignment restriction, but you’ll have to do a good job of convincing me how you’re a Good aligned Assassin).

For non-adventurers, NPC classes may be taken, and I may design modifications based on concept. A character can also take a 10-level modified Aristocrat, Commoner, or Expert class which grants double progression in Skill points and ranks per level (and may gain a few class features to allow specialization in a skill or set of skills).

For example, a blacksmith who has been crafting his entire life may use a 10-level Expert class and get bonuses to Craft skills, representing the fact that an adventurer has no reason (even at high levels) to be as skilled a craftsman as a professional master blacksmith. On top of that, an enchanter may be granted the ability to enchant magic items without actual spell-casting ability.

(In-Game Note: Don’t refer to characters by their class unless that’s how you’d reasonably refer to them. A fighter isn’t a fighter’s job, he may be a fighter, or a guard/militiaman, or a knight. When you build your character, consider what they would seem like to the rest of the world. Class doesn’t define fluff, it’s supplemental rules to help you build a character.)

Feats
Read the Third Party material section.

Hit Points
Starting hit points are max. Each level thereafter, adventurer types (or guards, or thieves, people who would reasonably see combat or dangerous situations) will roll and take the roll or half max whichever is higher. Anyone who would not see combat often will get half max hit points.

Starting Gold
You may get more (or even less) gold based on level. A noble or merchant might get more (this might by a multiplier (1.5x or 2x, POSSIBLY 3x), or just a be treated as a few levels higher. This may be a trade-off to traits or point-buy, depending on concept.

Traits
Normal 22-point-buy characters should get 2 traits, once again, refer to the Third Party material section of this. These may be traded away for a non-standard race or better starting gold.

(Character Example: An Undine Barbarian/Monk 22-point buy character, trades off traits for the ability to take a non-standard Race. Reflavoring turns Rage into a channeled focus that drains a character's resolve afterward. This character takes a level in Wizard and gains the Practiced Spellcaster feat (from Complete Arcane), which increases her caster level for her Wizard spells by 4 (as long as her caster level doesn't exceed her total level).)

ManyMindsManyVoices

Character Ideas

In this space, I'd like to post ideas for characters that we might like to have in the future, as well as spots that are open.

• Inn and Tavern Keeper - While we have one, it wouldn't hurt to have another for a lower-class, cheap tavern.
  • Something Unique - Creatures of a unique race, monsters trying to live amongst people, or eccentric characters with a unique place in the city, or strange companions.
  • Mercenaries/Adventurers - We don't yet have an actual adventurer character, there's plenty of space for one.
  • Normal Folk - People who might just be caught up in politics and other adventures. Might be a damsel in distress or victim, maybe someone who can craft or is knowledgeable in a way that most adventurers and warriors are not.
  • Plot Characters - The game could use a few plot characters, possibly secondary characters played by players with other characters, ones that may exist for the sake of intrigue and may not survive through the plot.

Below here is stuff I might be open to allowing players to play (definitely only with some trust), and am open to suggestions as to NPC ideas as well.

• The King's Court - King Graham is played by me (sparingly as possible), but maybe you want to be someone connected to him.
  • The Guilds - Each guild has a leader that functions on the council, only the assassin's guild has a leader and a character concept already. I won't design more until a necessity or major storyline arises, but the positions are open to NPC ideas or POSSIBLE player characters.

ManyMindsManyVoices

"Okay, Links up and working, and interest starting to trickle in, I'll use this extra space here to discuss character ideas that are in progress but not yet complete:"

• Possible Idea: A Sergeant in the guard

Pyrkinas

Assistant GM here. We're still looking for players, so anyone interested please let us know and we can begin soon.

ManyMindsManyVoices

"The Character page is now updated, and I am ready to begin the game as soon as we get a few more players. Any new interest check out the third post for some ideas I'd like to see in play."

RubySlippers

Yes folks come one you can be a common sort, I'm just running a modestly gifted cleric of Lilith that is head of the newly inked out chartered Whores Guild its not a big role like head of the Thieves Guild would be but fits my style. No one is offended by a tavernmaster, master smith with a smithy, indentured servant or other concepts I think it might make the game more fun to be honest.

And my Guildmistress needs a Sargeant-of-Arms to see the rules are enforced and unregistered whoring is dealth with - you can select your own assistants one must be a decent advocate of law with a clerk though.

Revelation

Is this game still recruiting? If so, is it using playtest material from Ultimate combat? I've had an interest in playing the gunslinger class, but if not... I can make a different character.

ManyMindsManyVoices

"I have gun rules of my own, and there are rules concerning the Gunslinger in this setting. I don't intend to close recruiting on this game any time soon, even after it actually begins."

Revelation

What rules/variants would thsoe be? I'm interested in case I do make a gunslinger, of course. :)

ManyMindsManyVoices

"It's under the setting information, click the link on the first phrase in the original post."

ManyMindsManyVoices

"For my players who are hoping to get started, we do have another interested player, on top of Changing here. So, we're moving towards having enough players to get started and once we start, I'll see about developing the first plot. Invite your friends, if you know anyone here who might be interested."

Black Howling

I have some interest, and just had some free time spare up. I'll see if I can't pull something together soon. I'll PM you the concept and the like after a bit, Ryuka.

PS: Great job with the homebrew setting. I've been stalking the thread for a while.

ManyMindsManyVoices

"I've been writing worlds so often since I started playing DnD and writing, it comes naturally now. I'm glad you like the setting, it was made quickly."

ManyMindsManyVoices

"For our 'bartender' Pyrk has agreed to play a secondary character, so we've got that covered. I will work out the details for the tavern and we can start introducing the characters into the game next week, maybe do a minor storyline just to ensure the game has a goal."

RubySlippers

ManyMindsManyVoices

"I don't mean to take so long, but I'd rather start slowly, then start the game with too few players and watch the story flop. Without a directly goal driven game, it's hard to keep things going unless everyone feels engaged, and its hard to keep people engaged without the player numbers to back it up. I want to try to get going, but I would prefer to squeeze every ounce of recruitment I can out of this game first. So, if everyone pokes this thread once and a while, that might help."

"As for trying to stay involved, I'd suggest everyone jumps over to the OOC board and says hi and maybe discusses plot threads or character ideas they think might flesh out the world. If I see one that seems good, I'll post it here to encourage people to try to take over that idea."

ManyMindsManyVoices

"The game will remain open for recruitment for as long as it survives, unless it gets particularly out of control (which I doubt). However, the game is now open, so those who have been accepted, may begin, and those who have not, can start to see the formation of the game."

RubySlippers

The Whores Guild has job openings ,not just for that, but I need one advocate (lawyer) and one Sargeant-of-Arms preferably a fighter and rogue so they can be diplomatic and break people and things as needed. These two roles can be togethers since the first is a profession.