Dubai aims to top its own world's tallest tower

Started by The Overlord, October 05, 2008, 06:04:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Overlord

Absolutely amazing...I imagine this thing wouldn't look too out of place on Coruscant.  :-\

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081005/ap_on_re_mi_ea/ml_dubai_world_s_tallest_building

QuoteDUBAI, United Arab Emirates - With its world's tallest building nearing completion, Dubai said Sunday it is embarking on an even more ambitious skyscraper: one that will soar more than 10 American football fields.

That's about two-thirds of a mile or the height of more than three of New York's Chrysler Buildings stacked end-to-end.

Babel had nothing on this place.

"This is unbelievably groundbreaking design," Chief Executive Chris O'Donnell said during a briefing at the company's sales center, not far from the proposed site. "This still takes my breath away."

The tower, which will take more than a decade to complete, will be the centerpiece of a sprawling development state-owned builder Nakheel plans to create in the rapidly growing "New Dubai" section of the city. Foundation work has already begun, O'Donnell said.

The area is located between two of the city's artificial palm-shaped islands, which Nakheel also built. The project will include a manmade inland harbor and 40 additional towers up to 90 floors high.

About 150 elevators will carry employees and workers to the Nakheel Tower's more than 200 floors, the company said. The building will be composed of four separate towers joined at various levels and centered on an open atrium.

"It does show a lot of confidence in this environment" of worldwide credit problems and a souring global economy, said Marios Maratheftis, Standard Chartered Bank's Dubai-based regional head of research.

As part of government-run conglomerate Dubai World, Nakheel has played a major role in creating modern-day Dubai, a city that has blossomed from a tiny Persian Gulf fishing and pearling village into a major business and tourism hub in a matter of decades.

Besides the growing archipelago of man-made islands for which it is best known, Nakheel is responsible for a number of the city's malls, hotels and hundreds of apartment buildings.

The company said the new project is inspired by Islamic design and draws inspiration from sites such as the Alhambra in Spain and the harbor of Alexandria in Egypt.

"This is nothing like it in Dubai," said Sultan Ahmed bin Sulayem, Nakheel's chairman.

Perhaps not quite. But Dubai is already home to the world's tallest building, even if it remains unfinished.

That skyscraper, the Burj Dubai, or Dubai Tower in Arabic, is being built by Nakheel's chief competitor, Emaar Properties.

Emaar has kept the final height of the silvery steel-and-glass tower a closely guarded secret, saying only that it stood at a "new record height" of 2,257 feet at the start of last month. It's due to be finished next September.

The final height of Nakheel's proposed tower is likewise a secret, as is the price tag. The company would only say it will be more than a kilometer (3,281 feet) tall.

O'Donnell said he was confident that Nakheel could pay for the project despite the financial troubles roiling the world's economy.

He also brushed aside concerns by some analysts that Dubai's property market is becoming overheated and due for a potentially sharp correction.

"In Dubai, demand outstrips supply," he said. "There might be a slowdown, but there definitely won't be a crash."

Oniya

"In Dubai, demand outstrips supply," he said. "There might be a slowdown, but there definitely won't be a crash."

Famous last words.  I'd say the Tower of Babel analogy is likely to be a very apt one.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

The Overlord

Yeah, about as fruitful as calling the Titanic unsinkable.

Besides any global economics that would sink them too, wait until the wells start running dry in Arabia. Then it gets interesting...

OldSchoolGamer

Ah, some of the last frothy by-products of the cheap oil blowout of the 20th century.

This is what a post-oil age looks like:

http://www.oilcrashmovie.com/media/Depleted%20Azeri%20oilfield.jpg

The Overlord

adventurer

I have been in Dubai when they laid the foundation.

Now the Mega Projects and all the Real Estate devlopment on steroids is only one facette. They are in process of diversification from oil. Less then 8 percent of GDP is right now created by oil.

The Arab Gulf Region from Kuwait down to Oman is on a race to modernization. Like Hongkong 100 years ago and Singapore 50 years ago.

Fascinating to be proofessioanally engaged in it. And learning lots about European as much as American ignorance regarding Arab World.

See this blog from an American professor who works in Qatar since last Novemmber. Really authentic information in real time whats going on..:

http://pursuingleadership.blogspot.com

Best,
Rob
"You can discover more about a person in a hour of play than in a year of conversation."
(Plato)

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=21715.0

Oniya

Quote from: adventurer on October 20, 2008, 08:25:55 AM
I have been in Dubai when they laid the foundation.

Now the Mega Projects and all the Real Estate devlopment on steroids is only one facette. They are in process of diversification from oil. Less then 8 percent of GDP is right now created by oil.

Directly, maybe, but what about indirectly?  I saw tourism mentioned in the original post - this requires that people are able to travel to Dubai, which is on a slow-down due to oil prices.  I just Wiki'ed the current info, and it breaks down into Real Estate and Construction (22.6%),[10] Trade (16%), entrepôt (warehousing, looks like an import/export term) (15%) and financial services (11%).  Trade profits are going to depend on oil prices - you have to transport your goods.  Construction requires machinery that runs on petroleum products (more than likely).  Warehousing will depend on amount of trade and amount of space to store the goods (i.e., both of the other two).  The financial services can probably survive as an institution with teleconferencing, but can it carry the proposed outlay?

Not to sound like a doom-sayer, but it looks like it might be overly ambitious.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Lithos

It is pretty nice place for engineers and such though. Really good wages, you get to stay in good hotel, I know some people who have been on building projects there and besides weather being hot like hell it is pretty ok.
There is no innocence, only layers upon layers of guilt
--
Wiki | O&O | A&A | Game Search

adventurer

Sure...lots to be rebalanced....Singapore would be a good model. However there is lots of strong dynamics in teh region. Read the books of Fareed Zakaria, Parag Khanna et al....there is lots of emrging understanding in global journalism about new emrging worlds in the post american world order.

Europe and US were leading in 20th century. Now BRIC Countries /Brazi, Russia, India and China) plus other regions devlop great momentum.

Fascinating. Though not free of imbalances....but look to US, Japan, Europe hundred years ago...it all takes time...
"You can discover more about a person in a hour of play than in a year of conversation."
(Plato)

Zakharra

I believe oil has dropped under $70 a barrel....  Transportation costs have eased now.

Vekseid

Quote from: Zakharra on October 23, 2008, 03:32:38 PM
I believe oil has dropped under $70 a barrel....  Transportation costs have eased now.

Partly through killing the Enron loophole, and partly through the fact that a lot of transportation has simply ceased, easing demand.

We still haven't found more oil : )

adventurer

Check out his upcoming event. its from famous World Economic Forum.

Summit on the Global Agenda
Dubai, United Arab Emirates 7-9 November 2008

Arabic (PDF)

The Summit on the Global Agenda is a new, unique gathering of the world’s most influential thinkers – leaders from academia, business, government and society. Its purpose is to advance solutions to the most critical challenges facing humanity. This inaugural Summit of the members of the Forum’s Global Agenda Councils, the world's foremost intelligence and knowledge network, will be held in partnership with the Government of Dubai on 7-9 November.
..."

http://www.weforum.org/en/events/InauguralSummitontheGlobalAgenda/index.htm
(Plato)

Zakharra

Quote from: Vekseid on October 23, 2008, 04:17:56 PM
Partly through killing the Enron loophole, and partly through the fact that a lot of transportation has simply ceased, easing demand.

We still haven't found more oil : )

But the prices have dropped from the vastly inflated level they were to a more sane and sustainable level. There is a great deal of oil out there to use. More is being found and made all the time. It's getting it that is the problem.

adventurer

In fact oil is running out. Share in GDP under 10 percent. Other emirates have signifcant more oil.

The name of the Game is now:

Diversification
(Plato)

Lithos

The circle where we are now is something like this:

- Methods for detecting oil gets better -> more oil is found as result -> it is in places where it is a lot harder and more expensive to gather.

If we use every single ounce to be found anywhere, we can find a lot more oil, that is true. The price will be so high though that current oil prices will be peanuts. Easily accessible oil supplies are sadly slowly but surely running out.
--

adventurer

of course Industry countries are exploring new energy possibilities.

However:

Dubai is leading the Gulf Region already in diversification. I am doing business there and in Europe for lots years.

The region is growing already into a knowlwedge based society.
(Plato)

Lithos

The question I am curious about is when we start to really seek and implement alternative sources of energy. It would also be interesting to know how much research concerning it has been put out by companies making their money with oil. Or perhaps bought rather than put out..

If I was handling oil distribution to this country, I would damn sure try to make it so that I will have monopoly for what ever source of energy will be used after oil as well.
--

Moondazed

Quote from: Zakharra on October 24, 2008, 10:49:46 AM
But the prices have dropped from the vastly inflated level they were to a more sane and sustainable level. There is a great deal of oil out there to use. More is being found and made all the time. It's getting it that is the problem.

What about the pollution that results from burning it?  It's not a sustainable energy source, no matter how you slice it. 
~*~ Sexual Orientation: bi ~*~ BDSM Orientation: switch ~*~ Ons and Offs ~*~ Active Stories ~*~

Zakharra

Quote from: moondazed on October 25, 2008, 11:51:01 AM
What about the pollution that results from burning it?  It's not a sustainable energy source, no matter how you slice it. 

It is the only one that fits the bill. We can and are burning cleaner, but there are -not- alternatives out there to replace oil. None. Not just as fuel, but for all the other uses that oil has in our society. Oil has the single most uses of any produce in our world, from fuel, to plastics, to lubricants and much more.

Moondazed

I'm glad that the innovators of past generations didn't share your view of things :)
~*~ Sexual Orientation: bi ~*~ BDSM Orientation: switch ~*~ Ons and Offs ~*~ Active Stories ~*~

Oniya

Zakharra

Quote from: moondazed on October 25, 2008, 01:38:16 PM
I'm glad that the innovators of past generations didn't share your view of things :)

I'm not saying that a substitute will not be found, just that right now there is none. It takes time to develop and produce. Especially in the large quantities that are needed for a industrialized world. Despite what the doomsayers say, there is plenty of oil to use and grow economies, while developing alternatives.

adventurer

A new press Release from World Economic Forum. underscores growing significance of Dubai as communication platform and hub. Not only for region, but for meeting of Europe, North Africa and Aisa in toto.

WORLD ECONOMIC FORUM TO HOLD HISTORIC MEETING IN DUBAI: LEADING EXPERTS TO ADDRESS KEY GLOBAL CHALLENGES IN THE “POST-CRISIS WORLD”

Dubai to host World Economic Forum’s first ever Summit on the Global Agenda from 7 to 9 November
Over 700 foremost thinkers will work together on solutions for pressing issues on the global agenda
For more information on the Summit and the Network of Global Agenda Councils, visit www.weforum.org/gac    
Geneva, Switzerland, 26 October 2008 – For the first time ever, the World Economic Forum will bring together 700 of the most innovative and relevant minds – leaders from academia, business, government and civil society – to address some of the most pressing issues on the global agenda. The Government of Dubai will host this historic meeting, the inaugural Summit on the Global Agenda, from 7 to 9 November 2008. In all, there will be 68 Global Agenda Councils represented at the Summit, each bringing together the finest minds in its sector to propose solutions to the key issues and help shape a post-crisis world.

“The current financial crisis is in the process of profoundly transforming the economic, business and political landscape of the future. The unfolding global transformation is ushering a much needed reflection of how to shape the post-crisis world and how to strengthen and improve global, industry and corporate governance. To reflect this enormous responsibility and opportunity, ‘Shaping the Post-Crisis World’ is also the theme of the World Economic Forum’s Annual Meeting in 2009. The deliberations of this meeting will underpin debate next year at Davos and help us construct solution to the global problems we face,” said Klaus Schwab, Founder and Executive Chairman of the World Economic Forum.

“Dubai hosting the inaugural Summit on the Global Agenda is a testament to the United Arab Emirates’ association with innovation and breakthrough thinking. We will be working jointly with the World Economic Forum in developing this Summit and reinforcing its global significance,” said Mohamed Alabbar, the Co-Chair of the Summit.

Some of the leading experts who will be at the meeting are: Bertie Ahren, (1997-2008) Prime Minister of Ireland; Ana P. Botin, Member of the Board, Group Santander, Spain; Laura M. Cha, Deputy Chair, The Hong Kong and Shanghai Banking Corporation, Hong Kong SAR; Cheng Siwei, President, China Association for Soft Science Studies, People’s Republic of China; John Chipman, Director-General and Chief Executive, International Institute for Strategic Studies (IISS), United Kingdom; Howard Davies, Director, London School of Economics and Political Science, United Kingdom; Robert Engle, Professor of Finance, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, New York University, USA; Richard B. Evans, Chief Executive Officer, Rio Tinto Alcan, Canada; Mo Ibrahim, Chairman, Mo Ibrahim Foundation, United Kingdom; Alexander V. Izosimov, Chief Executive Officer, AO VimpelCom, Russian Federation; Yuriko Koike, Member of House of Representatives, Japan; Graça Machel, Chairperson, Foundation for Community Development (FDC) Mozambique; Kishore Mahbubani, Dean, Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy, Singapore; Rasheed Mohammed Al Maraj, Governor of the Cenral Bank of Bahrain; Amre Moussa, Secretary-General, League of Arab States, Cairo; Rajendra K. Pachauri, Director-General, The Energy and Resources Institute (TERI), India; Kenneth Rogoff, Thomas D. Cabot Professor of Public Policy and Professor of Economics, Harvard University, USA; Nouriel Roubini, Chairman, Roubini Global Economics Monitor, USA; and Elie Wiesel, Andrew W. Mellon Professor in the Humanities, Boston University, USA.

Global Agenda Councils – To further its mission and strategic vision, the World Economic Forum has created the Global Agenda Councils, which are multistakeholder groups of the most innovative and relevant minds, for the purpose of advancing knowledge and collaboratively exploring actions to the most important issues in the global arena.
(Plato)