Aiden @ the Movies!

Started by Aiden, March 13, 2011, 01:39:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aiden

I am an avid movie watcher! Only a handful of people know how much I enjoy heading out to the theater to catch a flick and even less know that I tend to go alone. I have a handful of reasons why, but mostly because some people (my friends) just don't know how to shut up and watch a movie. I hate commentary during a movie the very first time I watch it. After it comes out on DVD, I enjoy some commentary and joking around but some people just think going to the movies is time to chat, it isn't!

So I made this blog to review, discuss and add upcoming movies I will see or have seen.

<3
-Aiden

Coming soon:
Battle of LA, Review
The Adjustment Bureau, Review
Red Riding Hood, Review

Belle33

Aiden - we may be kindred.  I too prefer to go to movies alone.  I quite baffles my friends, but as you say they can be so very chatty, but I also find that I can immerse myself in the story if I'm alone.  This adds greatly to my enjoyment and I'm able to enjoy movies that I don't believe I would have otherwise liked.  Scary movies are scarier - funny movies are funnier - tear jerkers are tearier.  I kinda feel like I'm getting more for my money.  Of course the drawback is that I have no one to talk to about films. 

I've seen Battle LA and Adjustment Bureau - I look forward to your reviews.  Red Riding Hood is next on my list (this afternoon perhaps). 

What movies are you most looking forward to?  I've worked myself into a frenzy over Sucker Punch - so I'm sure to be disappointed.  And Priest looks to be brilliant. 

Ons/Offs, Stories & Poems, Currently Not Available for RP

Caeli

I love watching movies, but I almost never watch what's in the AMCs or that has advertisements on television. I prefer indie films (usually films that only show for a week), foreign films, and film festivals for most of my theater-going.

Do you attend any film festivals during the year, Aiden? Any good experiences or thoughts about the difference between film fests and your average movie during the year?
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Aiden

Belle33-
My friends either want to go or want to go at night. I admit I am a bit cheap here, I go for early shows to save money and because I know the staff in the mornings and they are more lenient in the morning then they are in the afternoon. (Let you "sneak in" stuff)

I do have people join me on rare occasions but I know who NOT to invite to the movies, those I do invite know that when the movie is rolling it is "Shut the fuck up time".

As for upcoming movies I am looking forward to personally.

Kung fu Panda 2!
Kung Fu Panda 2 Movie Trailer Official (HD)

Fast Five
Fast Five Trailer

Water for Elephants
Water For Elephants Movie Trailer 2 Official (HD)

Thor
Thor - Trailer (OFFICIAL)

I would include Paul and Suckerpunch but those are coming out soon, these are further out releases.

Caeli-
The only film festival I go to repeatedly is the Asian Film festival in Hazard Center but I was unable to attend last year since I was out of town. But I have only been going the last three years (not counting last year).

I go to a theater in Hillcrest, it is where I saw that horrible version of Red Cliff and the Subbed movie about Ghengis Khan.

Two more movies I saw over the weekend
Beastly
Mars needs Moms 

Aiden

The Adjustment Bureau

I am not going to give a highly detailed summary to the movie, who wants to read when you have a trailer. I might be a little bias but I really like Matt Damon and this movie was interesting because of the way I was pulled in. Without giving away the plot, I like movies that make me think "what if" while it is still on. Emily Blunt is sexy and I enjoyed seeing what Roger Sterling does when he is not drinking with Don Draper over at Sterling and Cooper.*

*Mad Men reference, if you don't watch it, you should be! <3

I don't know how I am going to rate movies, I don't have a point system like many people and opinions will vary.

I liked this movie, the only way I can rate it would be the following:
Avoid it
Wait for TV
Rent it
Matinee it
Pay for price! 

Honestly, I think I would pay full price to watch this movie, I really liked it.

<3
Aiden

Aiden

Battle: Los Angeles

Battle of LA was good but I am not a fan of movies with "shaky syndrome" to pull you into the movie. The characters where cliche, but I am not mad at it since it works. My greatest disappointment with this movie was the aliens, they just looked silly to me and I was not a big fan of their amazing power source. (don't want to spoil it). Action wise it started as soon as the movie began and I enjoyed it, honestly the movie was not bad, it had a nice tear jerk moment that almost had me pretend I had sat on my keys.

Matinee it

Ohh and Neyo is in this movie, this guy

Aiden

I have been itching to watch this movie since I saw the previews and I have to say I was happy I did! This is not going to be the movie for many people. There is lots of vulgar language and crazy antics that reminded me of playing DnD with my friends. The movie is like an awesome epic adventure right out of the table top turned into a movie. I don't want so spoil the plot of the movie so I will not go into it but this movie had me (and most of the theater) laughing through the entire thing. I am sure these kind of movies have a target audience so all the other reviews will be crappy (haven't even bothered looking at them) but I can see this movie going to "cult classic" fast. There is lots of quote potential for this movie.

I'm done rating movies, I don't think any system would so movies justice so...that's it.

<3
-Aiden