A Cordial Invitation. (OWoD, sort of Vampire)

Started by Senti, October 09, 2015, 06:06:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Senti

Hello all.

This is mainly just an interest check before I put up a more detailed description.

It is an old WoD game, which is mostly vampire, though players will start as mortals and the embrace will take place within the game, as the characters become involved in certain darker and more dangerous secrets.

The setting will start in Victorian London, the year is 1888, though as yet Saucy Jack has yet to find his fame…or infamy.

Though obviously starting as mortals people will not start with clans, though tailoring a character to a particular clan is fine.

Full character sheets are not necessary, players just have to be sensible in choice of skills, and remember that no one is perfect, after all a few flaws as well as a few merits make for interesting characters.

I am hoping to let this game build to interesting events in later moments through till the modern age.

If there are any questions please ask. As said above a more detailed description will be posted.

(I ran this table top and am hoping it will work here.)

Thank you.

persephone325

This doesn't have to end in a fight, Buck.
It always ends in a fight.
You pulled me from the river. Why?
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

AndyZ

It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

kckolbe

Potentially interested, but curious as to how much crunch you want in char sheets.  Numbers make me feel safe
Ons/Offs  A/A  Oath of the Drake
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Buffy: The Vampire Slayer(IC#2)
Intro Thread

Senti

I am not likely going to be using dice at the beginning of the game certainly. However I would like characters to have merits and flaws (physical mental and social.)

Also I will be looking for skills, Talents and knowledge’s as  in those which are expert, intermediate and a passing understanding.

Please be sensible, also remember older characters are likely to be more skilled, but may however find that they could have more disadvantages or are perhaps not as agile as they once were etc.

What I am saying no numbers as yet. Lets all be sensible.

Remember this is a somewhat xenophobic and chauvinist society, so being a foreigner; a female or various other person of questionable ‘morals may be a disadvantage in certain circles.

(I do promise to be safe though.)

Lyku

I'd like to give this a shot, but I'd rather not tailor for a clan and let the evil undead monsters choose which way I will be eternally condemned. :)
Every great dream begins with a dreamer.  Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.  – Harriet Tubman

kckolbe

I hear ya, Lyku.  I'm doing the numbers now (yeah I said numbers!  Don't worry, not posting them until opened) and trying to leave him open for multiple clans.  Thus far, he's fairly all over the place, not optimized at all.  I'm thinking he'll have some medical training, and a career representing that.  Between that and academics, a gentleman seems likely, but I gave him brawl instead of melee, his highest physical is Stamina (by far), and he has no talent at manipulation.

Still need to choose backgrounds and merits/flaws.

(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Intro Thread

Senti

I am more than happy to let people see how it goes with those terrible undead creatures of the night. Sometimes one of them may choose a childe that at first may not appear to fit with a clan but their choice will become clear during game play.

This is not a heavy smexy smut game, though not it is not precluded from the game it is not the main focus.

At present I am considering placing the game in extreme, as I feel this will allow for the darkest parts and images of vampire society in the Victorian era.

kckolbe don't worry too much if you overspend on points as long as it fits within the character and their life experience.

(the art of boxing can be considered gentlemanly :)

Miroque

Oh Gosh, oWoD in Victorian London... Colour me intrested Chums..

Im running TT game of Victorian Age myself.. and got so many ideas fr characters :()

Question: Would you take other applications that mortal or vampire? (I was thinking of an KotE or MtA). Would have an killer ideas for both, but can adapt if not allowed.

Senti

Quote from: Miroque on October 16, 2015, 04:18:34 AM
Oh Gosh, oWoD in Victorian London... Colour me intrested Chums..

Im running TT game of Victorian Age myself.. and got so many ideas fr characters :()

Question: Would you take other applications that mortal or vampire? (I was thinking of an KotE or MtA). Would have an killer ideas for both, but can adapt if not allowed.

The characters are to start as mortal and will go on to be vampire. As I dont really know enough about Kindred of the East that is not really feasible, and it really has to be vampire as who knows the game may continue onto later interesting periods, allowing characters to gain a little more power etc over the years.

Miroque

there are ways for Mages to continue existanse... but I get you. So, are you still looking for applicants?

Senti

Yes I am, and certainly I would like to keep with mortals that become vampires. Mainly so as not to complicate things too much, obviously within the setting there may be other supernaturals, that players may or may not end up interacting with, favorably or not as the case may be.

kckolbe

Vampire is the only WoD game I've played, but do we have to go vampire?  Based on how things develop, are there other options?

And for now I'm limiting myself on points, but not caring about how they are distributed.  For example, I have 22 ability points, but they aren't appropriately divided between talents, skills, and knowledges.

Intro Thread

Senti

Yes we are going Vampire, but though the vast majority majority of folks one will meet and interact with in the story will be 'normal' humans, due to what is happening with in the city, certain other factions will have an interest and paths may cross. Thus it will  give players the opportunity to make tentative relationships and perhaps even alliances within other factions. 

After all the enemy of ones enemy may become ones 'friend'. Such alliances however tenuous may be useful, and could offer some interesting advantages.

Don't worry about exact points and how they are spread, if you are using them. Just as long as they make sense for the character.

RubySlippers

I think I'd like this, maybe playing a woman versed in letters and sciences, but who is known in the circles as a person who can bring complex ideas down to where common people can understand it gaining a good reputation authoring books and even did some textbooks for British schools. And she would have money so she could live and focus on her work much to the chagrin of her poor parents who want her to settle down and have children.

kckolbe

Okay, decided to go with decent resources, medical license (or, if those didn't exist, knowledge of his training), and a little extra skill at boxing.  Since his physical skills are only average for a boxer (str 3, dex 2, sta 3), he won't be a useful fighter.  Really, aside from his modest medical abilities, he doesn't boast anything impressive, as his skills and attributes don't overly jive.  I kinda like that.

Intro Thread

RubySlippers

Quote from: kckolbe on October 17, 2015, 08:50:11 PM
Okay, decided to go with decent resources, medical license (or, if those didn't exist, knowledge of his training), and a little extra skill at boxing.  Since his physical skills are only average for a boxer (str 3, dex 2, sta 3), he won't be a useful fighter.  Really, aside from his modest medical abilities, he doesn't boast anything impressive, as his skills and attributes don't overly jive.  I kinda like that.

http://www.victorian-era.org/victorian-era-doctors-medical-practitioners.html

Senti

Both Characters are very fitting with the setting and interesting.

And Ruby I am sure you are aware that there are special people and places that may well be able to help your character with that problem she may have with her feminine and delicate brain. :)

Senti

Though not Victorian...

Women Know your Limits.

Silliness from Harry Enfield

Miroque

question still abides: Are you looking for more applications ? And if so, with what poins are we building our mortals ?

Senti

Yes I am still taking ...as for points use either, I will do the maths but wont stress over or under, though if people are very uncomfortable about points, its really not an issue at the moment. I am more interested in the background.

Miroque

Where do you want the applications ? (open to all, or PM to you for excample ?) and Mortals have way less points that vampires.. and as we are creating mortals (right?)
what points are we using ? (i have no problem of using points, aslong as its the same amount on everyone and same point spread)

Senti

A PM would be good, I would say if using points use those of a mortal, but dont be too strict about the points. I really am more interested in the background story.

As  a point though I would appreciate  names of close friends and relations and their relationship to the characters as nothing brings home mortality than watching them age from the shadows.

Vikii

I'm always up for a vampire game. I was wondering though if you wanted us to follow the normal guidelines of creating a character, since we are starting as mortals or if there are any differences you wanted to make to creating it.

Senti

Everyone is mortal and guidelines are that the characters will not be aware of the supernatural factions. Of course there are those that may have an interest in the occult and the like and may even had a brush with real wraiths at a seance for example.

That said all of the characters should be a cut above the average for whatever reason, so that they might become noticed by a kindred or two, maybe there will be a vie for power over one specific character. This does not mean that the character has to be of the upper classes there can be many reasons for the interest.

Thus though mortal, the play is notable, and has something that deserves...the gift or should suffer the curse, or would just be useful to the clan or their sire.

I hope I am making sense.

Miroque

Send you PM/Application. Im not sure what clan I would like to embrace her, but.. Im open to anything :) There are clear hooks for more that few clans, not in any order:
Toreador, Tremere, Lasombra, Ventrue, Malkavian, Setites.. atleast.. maybe even brujahs (depending on how nasty they are..)

Senti

I have the PM/ Character, and looks interesting, was only able to peruse briefly as getting ready for a table top game later. As for Clans she is at present a blank slate and as the game progresses who knows what might happen. 

Vikii

Yes you are making sense, I think I get the idea. I might have to think on it for little bit to come up with an idea for a chracter. When I do I'll send a pm with a few ideas and see what you think would work best.

Senti

Still here, have a couple of PM's to sort out. An hopefully we may start within the next week or so. Players are still welcome, and people can join after the start of the game.

Those I need to speak with I will get to you just been a busy week... and its only Wednesday. :)

Senti

Yes please join and become one of us :)

Send me a character.

I am hoping to start this next week.

AndyZ

What all have people made so far?  I haven't seen any applications.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

kckolbe

Yeah, that's what has me kinda cooling on this.  Not sure what kind of tone the chars so far are establishing, how they are "built" without numbers, etc.  I'm still intrigued, just hoping for more information.

Intro Thread

RubySlippers

I'm playing Lady Claire Somerset a member of British nobility related to one of the Dukes (a niece) who ,as a child, fell from a height and is now disabled not able to run with a pronounced limp and uses a cane. But due to her infirmity making her unlikely to wed had an exceptional education in the Letters and Sciences in France to maybe help her have a life of meaning and her father was rather fond of his daughter. She is a writer bringing complex science and other ideas to a level the common people can understand (largely the new Middle and Professional Classes) and lectures on the letters and sciences. Her reputation also includes charitable work with veterans of war, education of the poor and other areas of work to better society using her impressive wealth.

Oh I used the Ghoul build minus disciplines and she's crunched out with a bit of Merit and Flaw room saved for vampire additions after her embrace and the GM didn't mind so I suggest do that if your not sure.

Senti

Quote from: HopeFox on October 29, 2015, 12:20:41 AM
I was thinking of playing a middle class woman who's heavily involved in the Suffragette movement and other interesting bits of social change at this particular time in history. That could have a lot of potential in a game intended to run over several decades. Married in a rather mundane fashion. Would make a surprisingly good Brujah, with time.

A male might be preferable if at all possible? There are plenty of opportunities for males in this setting obviously to take a role in social change.

Miroque

I build my application using mortal points.. and left some of them unused.. like most of the freebies.
Edit: I thought we were all using mortal points. Stats: 6/4/3, Abilities: 13/9/5, Virtues: 7, Backgrounds: 5, Freebies: 21

Senti

Feel free to use Ghoul points, I was not overly worried about exact points expenditure. so feel free to make any alterations.

Senti

If anyone want to send sheets over this weekend which is almost fitting considering the contend please feel free.

I am organising ooc things, and the like for perusal.

kckolbe

What are ghoul points?  I tried finding them

Intro Thread

RubySlippers

V20 rulebook, page 505 I just didn't take disciplines. But it was easy enough to find the rules for mortals weren't.

Miroque

Question: Do our characters know of each other beforehand ? I could easily see few characters knowing eachother (or atleast to know of them) but as social circles were so tight and social castes were totally divided.. so no highbrn would even know of the poorest denizens of the same city

Senti

As I said I am not overly stressed if points are a little over or under as long as it makes sense.

Certain attributes/ abilities at 5 for example I might question unless there is a very good reason. I see them as a guide for both player and ST though at times rolls may be needed especially in stressful and difficult situations.

I will say that as an ST and as a table top group we have the rule that each dot in an ability nullifies a one because it often happens we have founf that the more dice one rolls the more one is likely to botch. :P

Though I am not sure if in much later editions they addressed this.

(Is everyone happy with this ruling?)

Miroque

Rules changed from 1ed guite drasticly on that... If there is even 1 succ, before taking out "1"s you cant botch...

Senti

Quote from: Miroque on October 29, 2015, 12:05:13 PM
Question: Do our characters know of each other beforehand ? I could easily see few characters knowing eachother (or atleast to know of them) but as social circles were so tight and social castes were totally divided.. so no highbrn would even know of the poorest denizens of the same city

As for knowing each other, that is really up to players, though certain people may at least know of each other even if its through gossip etc. So some of it might be ludicrus, and sometimes there might be a grain of truth there.

Gossip can make for interesting gaming.

And on that note I might consider making a gossip thread if people would like it? something that anyone can add to. (It need not all be too serious)

Miroque

I think as there is "Status", "Fame", "Influense" and probably many other merits/flaws that give out somekind of regocnition, those would be good to mention aswell, right?

I dont meen, that everyone would know Joe "Shoobox" McGritty (Fame 1, boxer) or Jhonny Allmoney (resourses 5, metal mogul).. but those would be nice waymarkers for those that might know of them..

Senti

Oh indeed certain merits/flaws and advantages will mean that people are known in various circles for both good or ill.

This too will make for interesting story hooks and Rping.

Miroque

Senti

as in E time it should be next week.

the details on the start will be posted at that time. Fear not there will be a reason for everyone to be at the appointed place.

AndyZ

I'm sorry, Senti.  I'm not having any interesting ideas pop to mind.

RubySlippers

What bout complete scum, Nosferatu like cursing complete scum.

Anyway I will add a few things to my character sheet like her hired servants of her home, likely a small staff, a Maid-of-All-Work and a Cook for sure and a few under servants. She's not one to do the work of domestics.

Senti

No problem Andy hopefully if anything comes to mind you could always join at a later stage.

As for the delightful nossers, sometimes they embrace for a punishment, (Cleopatra's) Also sometimes they too fall in love. or wish to 'save' a beautiful mind, or indeed find someone that is indeed useful to the clan. Nothing is always as it seems.

As for servants that would be great, I dont know if you get BBC, but recently they had a most interesting program on about servants of the era and it was most compelling I will have to watch it again. Remember there is a huge hierarchy within a household,  and it too is strict, one might sometimes consider that the Buter and the housekeeper may sometimes appear to have as much power or more than their masters within their own little domain.

They really were often the ones that were in charge in their own domain. For example most have ALL of the keys to the house and dealt with a great deal of the finances and the staff beneath them. It was they that kept everything in order, hence that is how staff for the most were invisible.

Senti

He is rather cool, also there are plenty of other cool butlers :) Also Valets are interesting, they work outside the hierarchy like the ladies maid. They only work for their specific 'ward'.

Often the Valet would join up with the master or his son if they were commissioned in the army as a batman, or might have been a batman and then become a valet one the commission was ended.  They were highly prized by many gentlemen.

Senti

Afterall a vampire may have an interest in a 'master' and then realise that its the servant that is actually the one that is the real power, and is the one that only makes said master look good by being efficient and is the better candidate for the 'gift/ curse.

The real power behind the throne as it were.

Also servants tend to be privy to many of the 'real' secrets in a household.

Senti

Of course. :)

Its worth considering exactly what lengths a loyal member of staff will go to to cover up a scandal to protect it.

So even behind the curtains there is a lot of intrigue. :) It can be a very delicate balance. Which I think just add more to the flavor of the game.

It can almost be a mini political game going on in one household, that even the masters and mistresses are mostly unaware of. I find this quite exciting.

Miroque

Thats why there is that "Retainer" background.. .to get yourself loyal master/mistress of the household, who whips the nogood louts into shape...

Senti

Indeed this is true. Also a very good reason too  look after said staff well.

Most masters in general have no idea whats going on 'downstairs'.

the same goes for industry, and in factories, or even charitable institutes.

Senti

That is not a problem if your interest in piqued again hopefully we will be around.

RubySlippers

Well y character just bought her house and moved out of her families London Estate so needs to hire proper servants, its an excuse to role-play, I'm thinking:

Housekeeper (more seasoned and with some education to run the domestic accounts and oversee the staff)
A Cook (a woman seasoned cook)
Two Maids-of-Al-Work (should cover the rest of the work needed)

Intends to pay over the going best wages in each roll the housekeeper 20% and the other servants 12%, provide birthday and Christmas bonuses and of course room and board, the two maids sharing one room. And expect in return they be pleasant, discrete and loyal to her. And can blood bond them when its needed later on as a vampire.

Senti

That works well, as foot men and the like wont be important, as the cab services are very good in the city. In time your character may find favorites.

And yes the RPing will be interesting. Housekeepers have to be educated women for obvious reasons, often widows take on such roles. Within society although not of the upper class they are often well respected in their own right. (as much as a woman can be.)

Just as a thought Childrens BBC series Horrible Histories has some amusing little facts. Though a children's series its for the most historically correct and can be somewhat distracting and amusing in places. However it offers a few interesting details that one might not think about.

For example a maid is allowed every second Sunday off work (if I am right though dont quote me on that.)

Miroque

Again.. bloody hell no, in my household.. they are slavering for all my character cares.. :) Day-off... thats communists talking.. hang them all..

RubySlippers

So her fight for a six day workweek and a 50 hour workweek if not in public service or the military and a minimum employment age of 14 to be employed would be something you won't support?

Senti

Some parents did not even properly name there children in the Slums until the age of 5 as most died (but of course they were christened.)

RubySlippers

That's why we need better sanitation, food regulations so the food is safe, public hospitals that are decent for the poor and employment rights so workers can support children as they go to school. :P

Senti

Unfortunately not everyone thinks so.

So folks are we ok to be starting the middle of the week ish..I will get the ooc stuff out and we can start :)

there is always room for others who wish to join.

RubySlippers

Well my character is a realist you ask in politics what is least likely to get what you can. If you ask for a 14 year old working age then you might get 12 years old for example and some restrictions on the types of work. Its all a chess game. But she has reasons for it the Aristocracy leads with the finest commoners in government, the Middle Class with the wealthy commoners employ the nation. The common people are the basis of British strength they need to have some education, be healthy and be given some rights to keep them content and to make them productive. If we go to war as a nation they need soldiers fit, educated enough and not have to worry about their families while they fight for example this means women at home need fair wages and support by society. Her views are very sound.

The start sounds good to me.

kckolbe

Intro Thread

Senti

We are starting, if there is any interest , please PM or slip in here to discuss :)

thank you.

Neomah

I am quite interested in stepping in. Perhaps as a playful, lovely gent who sings beautifully and who is very lovely of appearance-but seeks thrills and challenges for himself as a bored nobleman of some line or another. The black sheep of the family, really who goes chasing skirt as well as dice, with a lucky hand at the dice. It's sure to come back to haunt the man... Lord Basil something.

Miroque

RubySlippers

My character likely read a vampire novel or two. Likely way off base on the real story though.

Senti

Quote from: Neomah on November 16, 2015, 04:54:37 AM
I am quite interested in stepping in. Perhaps as a playful, lovely gent who sings beautifully and who is very lovely of appearance-but seeks thrills and challenges for himself as a bored nobleman of some line or another. The black sheep of the family, really who goes chasing skirt as well as dice, with a lucky hand at the dice. It's sure to come back to haunt the man... Lord Basil something.

That sounds wonderful to me lots of Lords and Ladies do have a tendency to have that bored streak...power and money, the idea is most welcome. Just as a thought he could well be the second or third son, so has never even had the responsibility of inheriting the 'actual' real title and thus the REAL job. So a playboy, black sheep is just dandy...as dandy as he might be. :)

At the moment we tend to communicate through PM as in Reply to all, but you are more than welcome to be added into that if you wish.

Hope to see both yourself and your lovely gentleman soon on the Streets of London.

Pm with any questions.

As for the Vampire Novels that's fine though sshhhhh there might sometimes even be a little truth within them, and sometimes it is even helped along by certain factions even vampires themselves.

All will become clear eventually.

Miroque

Vampires??? They are real?? noooo...that cant be true...

BTW, does Dracula, by Stroker, exist in your world ? (it does not exist in WoD canon)

RubySlippers

Possibly, its good to toss out as misinformation that is if someone sees a vampire and talks then they can say he's insane he read those damned books and clearly is deranged. Then the Malkavians get the ,er, troublemaker to fix.

Senti

Yes it does exist, the book anyway...and if one care to look at some of the vampires weaknesses ...hmmm it does rather fit with some of the Sabbat clans, I wonder if the Camarilla have been playing some innocent little games...

RubySlippers

And there are rare medical conditions that can mimic vampirism, some of which are known to medical science of the day.

I left some leeway for a minor vampire merit and flaw after embrace, or two if very minor. I didn't want to go nuts on those mostly for now ones that fit her as a mortal.

RubySlippers

Senti

I have had some RLm issues as said then had no internet till now. I got it back this afternoon, and so should be posting today/ tomorrow.

RubySlippers

Senti

So many weeks without the internet was ...well it was horrid.

RubySlippers

And then they expect you to pay for crappy service, thankfully my company is okay but do have the odd issue.

Miroque

move to Finland.. we have this thing called Elisa Laajakaista..