System Based Games Question(s)

Started by Vercile, September 29, 2014, 05:49:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vercile

Hello Readers,

I've basically lost a few system based games as well as some being slowed or paused. Considering I'm still relatively new (especially in regards to system based role plays) I was wondering if anyone knew any fun yet simple systems, like D&D (Which I'm also curious as to what [if anyone knows] is the most used edition of D&D here on E.)

I'd appreciate names or even download links, or simply just suggestions.

Vekseid

I think for most system based games you need either a very small group, a very patient one, or schedule weekly sessions over some chat medium. The latter is my own preferred method and I want to get back into it: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=214322.msg10533739#msg10533739

Common system games here are Pathfinder (an offshoot of DnD 3.5), DnD 3.5, Legend of the Five Rings, Exalted, and probably a few others I'm missing. I'm planning on starting a weekly Exalted campaign sometime after 3rd edition comes out.

For Pathfinder, you can find the prd here: http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/

Vercile

Vekseid,

Thank you! I had a read through your link there and I have to say I'm intrigued, though I feel I need to study quite a bit to understand the rules and such if I wanted to add my interest to it. I also just downloaded the starter guide for the last link you gave me, much appreciated! Would you say it's among the easier to learn?

HairyHeretic

An experienced GM can probably give you the basics that you need in a few minutes. Once you understand what you can do in a system, you have a lot more possibilities, and (to a degree) the ability to build a 'more powerful' (or at least a better optimised) character. The actual mechanics of a system don't need to matter that much for a new player, as the GM can tell you what to roll and when, as necessary. I think getting a feel for the setting, and how well the type of character you want to play fits into the setting, is as important. When you have a setting with a large, well established world (Exalted, for example) or one where a fairly different mindset is required (L5R) then the mechanics (to my mind) take second place.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Vercile

HairyHeretic,

Very informative! Thank you, kindly.

I often find most people don't want to play with someone who isn't already an expert, as tolerance for newcomers is often low wherever you go.  It's like trying to get a job, where they expect you to have experience about the job you've never done before. I'm relatively content to just learn by reading and trialing it by playing with... well... myself. lol.

Vekseid

Quote from: Frozen Star on September 29, 2014, 06:23:37 PM
Vekseid,

Thank you! I had a read through your link there and I have to say I'm intrigued, though I feel I need to study quite a bit to understand the rules and such if I wanted to add my interest to it. I also just downloaded the starter guide for the last link you gave me, much appreciated! Would you say it's among the easier to learn?

If you put in your interest we'd have an even match of experienced and new players, so that would work. It's largely a matter of matching up schedules : /

Class-based systems like D&D/Pathfinder have the advantage of letting players (and GMs) choose how complex they want things. Prepared casters (Wizard, Druid, Witch, Cleric) and those that are built on controlling other creatures (Summoner, and often the previous also) can be really tough for new players. Spontaneous classes are a bit better, if you have good build advice. I always find Oracles to be fun - they're often built around skirting some of the game's rules.

Main two things to keep in mind, in my experience, are an ability to contribute outside of combat (via skills, spells, or abilities) and to have some way to deal damage/hinder enemies at range. Those are the two most annoying/boring situations, I've felt.

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Frozen Star on September 29, 2014, 06:53:57 PM
HairyHeretic,

Very informative! Thank you, kindly.

My pleasure

Quote from: Frozen Star on September 29, 2014, 06:53:57 PM
I often find most people don't want to play with someone who isn't already an expert, as tolerance for newcomers is often low wherever you go.

I'm sorry to hear you've had such poor experiences. I've never considered someone's experience with a particular system to be that much of an issue. As long as they bring a decent character, something suitable for the game, and want to take part, the more experienced folks can help keep them straight on the rules.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Xurtan

As far as other systems go.. I suppose a lot of it comes down to how much reading you want to do. As said above a good DM/GM/Whatever can likely explain it in a few minutes, but if you're wanting to learn it yourself.. *shrug* FATE Core is a preferred favorite of mine. PDQ and PDQ# are also options. All three are relatively simple, and many consider them too freeform in some aspects. Dungeon World is another choice. I've never been particularly fond of D&D, as I'm not huge on d20 systems in general. (Admittedly, I still play them. :P But that's more because it -is- the most widely spread. 3.5, Pathfinder and 4e are the common ones I tend to run into.)

Links:

Dungeon World: http://www.dungeon-world.com/
FATE Core: http://www.evilhat.com/home/fate-core-downloads/

The website for PDQ and PDQ# seem to be down at the moment, so not sure what's going on with that. As far as E itself goes, I agree with Vekseid. I actually haven't seen anything other than freeform, 3.5, Exalted, and Pathfinder yet. *shrug*