Of Earth, Water, Fire and Air (FULL)

Started by bubby, September 12, 2012, 04:01:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bubby

The Queen has ruled for 100 years, with blood and magic. She has the Power to control ALL the elements utterly, but her corruption of nature and spirit has brought the Land to begin to die. Her armies are vast and ruthless. When she should be using her Power to help the land, she takes it into herself to make herself stronger. Once a year she goes to a secret place to perform a ritual that cements her complete control again, that allows her to retain her youth, beauty, and strength.

The Queen has spies and assassins everywhere, and has systematically killed anyone she has heard of with any inkling towards elemental powers. But somehow four young people managed to slip under her radar. Four Hero's the Prophecies have told about to be those that come together to defeat the Queen and bring the Land back to its former glory. The Rebel's have been gathering, becoming more prevalent, nipping at the Queens heels like an annoying ferret.

The time has come.

Kingdom of Glavnon

This is a re-try of this game. I have changed some elements in it to hopefully make things move along more smoothly then my last attempt.

To begin the story, each Elemental will come into their Powers on their 18th birthday. They will not know they have the Power until an event (up to player) causes them to use their Element simply by instinct. Each Elemental will be in a separate part of the Kingdom, having grown up in different environments, and will end up coming together in the Queens City. How this happens is up to the players.

1) I plan on this being a Sandbox style game, though as GM I will toss ideas out as they come to me during play. This requires the players to interact on their own and move the story along on their own -for the most part-.

2) I am a bit picky when it comes to post length. I expect players to put effort into their posts, and be descriptive. By no means do they need to be a book, but at least a couple paragraphs per post is expected.

3) This WILL NOT be a fast paced game. I personally can't really post more then once a week, and that's if my muse isn't being a bitch. I don't expect any more from those involved. If it does move faster between other players that's fine. All I ask is a head up on occasion if someone is waiting on a post.

4) Though no deaths of players is planned, (except the Queen's eventually), I want players willing to take damage. NO GOD-MODING WILL BE ALLOWED. This means if you plan on attacking another character, PM THEM with your ideas first. But if you allow something to happen to your char, be open about it! Trust me, when the Queen gets ahold of you char, you're gunna get smacked around a bit!

Characters Needed

Elementals:
Water needed! This char needs to be female, and it is not a first come first serve basis. I'll be making the choice.

*I have players already for Earth(Wolfy), Air(Lady Lunarius), and Fire(Shade)*

Queens Hunters:
*Lead Hunter has been filled by Veluux*

These are people utterly loyal to the Queen. They will be the ones dispatched to harry the Elementals and Rebels and bring them before the Queen. I am also seeking players willing to make attempts to be the Queens most loyal subject. Can you say fanatic?  >:)

Rebels:
*Veluux will be playing a Rebel sage, one who has had knowledge passed down to him from his ancestors on the Elements, and past Elementals*

Of course we need players who are tired of the Queen and her shit! Who is willing to try and take her and her Hunters out? There is also the opportunity to become someone who will train our Elementals, and they will need it. Our Heros are but pups, and will need guidance not only in life, but in how to use their new found Power.

The goal in the game is to have the 4 Elementals come together eventually, and train together to defeat the Queen. This will not be an easy task. This game has the potential for many avenues, from battle to intrigue, from loyalty to turning traitor.

Show me your interest, and if I get enough I'll post up a char sheet template. Feel free to ask any questions, or even PM me if you wish. Those of you who were in the previous game, go ahead and post up your revamped characters when you have them!

azzmeister89

i'll take up the elemental of water, this sounds like it could be fun

bubby

Crap. *Pets azz* Sorry darlin'.

This is totally my fault, but Water needs to be female. *Grumbles about always forgetting shit and goes to change more stuff*

azzmeister89

is there a possibility of adding a character that uses lightning? perhaps a fifth elemental who is being forced to work for the queen but might later join the others?

bubby

No hun, sorry. The 5th Element is Spirit, and that is used by the Queen alone. Nice idea though!

I do have much need for Hunters or Rebels though!

azzmeister89

awwwww and i was inspired by my retro power rangers watching craving for that one too, ah well, i suppose i could try for one of those

RipTide

I'm interested in taking up the water elemental if you'll have me. :)

Posting Rate = 1-2 posts/story/week

What Does a Siren Crave? === What Does a Siren Prefer?

bubby

Quote from: RipTide on September 13, 2012, 09:51:25 AM
I'm interested in taking up the water elemental if you'll have me. :)

You got it!

I need Hunters and Rebels! They are and integral part of the story!

Sussurus

I'd be willing to play a Hunter... or several, as I assume they're likely to get killed off by the protagonists eventually.  ::)

bubby

Welcome Sussurus!

And actually yes, if you are willing to make expendable Hunters that would be perfect!

I will be putting up my Queens char sheet a bit later to give more of a taste for people. My Lead Hunter/ Rebel Sage has a work 9 days/ has 5 days off schedule, so it might be a bit before we see his profiles, and my Air Elemental should be having a baby right now, so it'll be a few days before I hear from her as well. I will be poking my Earth and Fire to place up their char sheets.

Here is the char sheet template. Strengths ans weaknesses are important!

[b]Name:[/b]
[b]Physical Description:[/b]
[b]Affiliation/Title:[/b]
[b]History:[/b]
[b]Strengths:[/b]
[b]Weaknesses:[/b]

Sussurus

Cool. :)  Some more info on the general tech/magic/weaponry level would be great, as well as the likely backgrounds for the Hunters -- would they have begun as soldiers, mercenaries, trained up as Hunters from the beginning, etc.

bubby

*Is once again reminded that she seriously lacks smarts in this GMing thing*  ::)

My apologies, you are totally correct.

This is a Medieval style game. There is no tech. Horses are the transport, and falcons are used for messages. Magic is reserved for the Queen alone, and the 4 Elementals, and this is only Elemental Power.  Anyone, and I do mean anyone showing even a hint of said Power is eliminated by the Queen in a deliciously horrific manner.  >:) This includes Hunters. (If anyone is willing to make a Hunter who tries just to have him/her gain the Queens anger, have at it!)

It is important to remember the Queen has been ruling for 100 years. So anyone she has with her now would not have memory of much of her lengthy reign. Hunters can be a soldier who's been promoted to Hunter, indeed a mercenary who wants nothing but to please the Queen, or someone who wanted nothing but to be one from the time they could wield a sword.

The last time I tried this game I had a Hunter who was beginning to abhor killing all the time. He was starting to gain a conscience, unbeknownst to the Queen of course. He did as he was told, but was on his way to abdicating for sure. I welcome this sort of Hunter as well!

Sussurus

No worries, I'd basically assumed most of that, just wanted to confirm. :)

Okay, one of my Hunters is definitely an illicit elementalist. Very minor, obviously... just enough to be tempted to use it, and for word to (eventually) get back to the queen.  >:)

Last question, at least until I think of more... gender roles: Would female Hunters be ordinary? Exceptional? Non-existent unless pretending to be male?

bubby

My Lead Hunter is female, played by Veluux, a male. She be a crazy bitch too! Either gender for Hunter is fine.

Sussurus

Awesome. I'll come up with some characters, then.  ;D

bubby

BEHOLD THE QUEEN: HER HISTORY SHOULD GIVE HINTS TO BUILDING CHARS FOR THOSE WHO WISH TO BE EITHER HUNTER OR REBEL

Name:Queen Saryana

Physical Description   

History:She was born into Clan nobility, so very long ago. She was raised in wealth and privlidge. Though she was a high-born daughter, she was the only one, surrounded by brothers. It was with those brothers she was taught the basics of battle. How to ride, how to grip a sword. Yet one silent night Raiders fell upon them, killing her family, and being taken as a slave herself, as well as her entire Clan. Yet she refused to succumb. Even as the raiders swept through the land she knew and took prisoners, she did as she was told, always, quickly becoming a favorite. She watched, she listened. She became very close to the old Raider Witch, helping the woman with anything and everything, learning all she could. Slowly but surely, she was becoming quite formidable. She was learning how to control the Elements, the Witch always praising her for her quick mind, for her skills.

Though she was culling favor with her captors, she was also gaining friends with the prisoners. She was vibrant, outspoken in winning free of their captors, a born leader. She was dynamic and soon enough had many willing to follow her lead, so when the night came that she said it was time, the Rebellion that she herself began swept through the Raiders, killing them all. She killed with sword, and she killed with magic. Her skills at both were immense already.

Time went by, and she became Queen. Righteous and well loved. She used her ever more considerable Power to help those in need, leading her growing armies to eradicate any who dared to think to take over what she was building as her own. But, as time continued to go by, things began to change. She spent much time delving into the Occult, and how to gain complete control of all the Elements, finally coming across an ancient ritual she began to use faithfully. Yet, she had to be the best, the strongest, the most Powerful. She began to send her armies out to kill any who dealt in magic, especially those who had even a whisper of Elemental Power. She would lead many a battle herself, bathing in blood. Eventually, she became the ruthless woman she is now. Stunningly beautiful, able to kill with a thought, or a blade. Enjoying her singular rule. Many who had been at her side when she was kind left, but there were those that stayed, worshiping her for the Goddess she believed she was.

Now the land is slowly dying, all due to the rituals she performs to strengthen herself. The Rebellion she once lead now seeks to rid themselves of her. Whispers of the Prophecy of the Four coming true reach her ears. She sends out her assassins on a regular basis. She does not fear the Prophecy.

Maybe she should....

Strengths:Complete and utter control of all Elements, massive armies, formidable assassins, let alone the capability of wielding a wicked sword herself. The fact that she has ruled by fear and blood and magic for so long few remember the time when it wasn't so.

Weaknesses: Hubris. During the time she is working her Elemental ritual and for a period of a day after she is weakened, and vulnerable. (Trying to get to her during this time is a feat unto itself though.)

Starlequin

...Did i join this one last time? Or am I doing that thing again where I remember stuff that didn't really happen? Anyway, I'd like to join thissun! I've got a Rebel fella who's sitting around gathering dust, so I could mod him up to fit...yknow, if you're interested. :D
You live for the fight when it's all that you've got.

bubby

*Snatches Star up and squeezes and loves and adores and everything!!*

No you didn't join this one, but ya know, I'm so damn popular and shizz you're probably just mixing up all the glorious things I tend to be involved in.... ::)

Anyway! *Snerkles* You are of COURSE welcome to make a Rebel! I'd love to have you!

bubby

Quote from: Shade on June 12, 2012, 01:44:04 PM
Name: Korren

Physical Description:

Affiliation/Title: Fire elemental/soon-to-be rebel

History:
Korren's parents were the bakers in the village they lived in. From an early age he liked being around the bakery’s oven, despite his parent’s warnings that it was too hot for him. The heat never bothered him. He actually found it comforting. As he got older, he started helping out at the bakery, working in back with the oven as much as possible.

Korren did not have many friends growing up. When he was about 9, some older kids started to pick on him. They soon found out that Korren had a pretty explosive temper and was pretty scrappy. By the time the fight was broken up, two of the kids had black eyes, and another had a tooth knocked out. But Korren was worse off, getting some cracked ribs.  After that, most kids stayed away from him, afraid of his temper.  Those who did approach him were usually trying to pick a fight to prove how tough they were. Even though he did his best to control his temper, more often than not they would get to him and get the fight they wanted.

Strengths:
Korren has a lot of experience with hand to hand combat from all of the fights he has been in. His fighting style is brutal and efficient, as he tries to end fights as quickly as he can to avoid injury himself. 

Weaknesses:
Despite his efforts, Korren is extremely prone to anger, easy to goad. This, combined with his usual level of impulsiveness can cause him to get in over his head before he realizes how much trouble he is in.

bubby

Quote from: Wolfy on May 12, 2012, 11:10:39 PM
Name: Sam McKnight
Physical Description:
Affiliation/Title: Brawler/Earth Elemental.
History:
Born in a small fishing village on the outskirts of the kingdom, Sam grew up in relative peace with his parents, living with Mom and Dad as he grew up and learned about the world, language, and their trade, which was, of course, fishing. Learning how to fish came naturally to him, but it was learning how to swim that gave him trouble. Sam nearly drowned twice at the age of 10 while trying to swim, though luckily he was saved both times by his father, who continued to teach him despite these small set backs. Eventually, Sam learned how to swim extremely well, which made him even more proficient at his trade. Sam was also taught how to fight by his father, becoming adept at using his fists to do his talking, if it was needed.

Sam's village was quite a poor one, but they managed to scrape by together, drawing close as a community to strengthen each other under the rule of the evil queen, as well as staying out of conflict with the rebellion. This proved to be too hopeful, however, as the Queen's men came demanding more tributes for her Majesty, as well as demanding room and board. Unable to refuse the Queen's men on penalty of death, they were allowed to stay in the village, where Sam witnessed first hand their evil deeds, raping and plllaging everything in the village that they could get their hands on, and the Townsfolk couldn't lay a hand on them.

The next morning, there was an attack on the village as the Queen's men slept. Sam was away in the river at the time, but he could see the smoke, and hear the screams, as well as being able to see the rebellion's colors in the distance. The Queen's men were being attacked by the rebel army, but so too were the villagers, who were thought to be allied with the Queen, and were forced to fight because of her men. Sam watched, at the age of 17, as his family was killed along with the rest of his village, and quickly ran away and hid until they had gone. Now approaching 18, he is moving to pick up the pieces and try to start a new life, unaware that the awakening of his elemental powers will push him directly into the conflict..as well as directly into the arms of both the Queen, and the Rebel army itself. two factions that he detests for what they've done.
Strengths: Strong Swimmer, Strong Fighter, Sam is an athletic young man who is as adept at using his tongue as he is with his fists, able to talk the talk and walk the walk, as it were. Most times he isn't one to back down from a fight, or even leave a fight go unfinished. He knows how to fish, as well as how to cook, for the most part, and has a strong connection to the earth, as well as being nimble and flexible.
Weaknesses: While Sam is one to nearly never back down from a fight, he also has a tendency to get into fights that he has no hope of winning, much to the annoyance of those who would prefer him alive. Being a fisherman by trade, he knows how to fish, but that's about it, as far as catching food goes. He can catch plenty of fish, but snaring an animal or knowing what kind of berries to eat and not eat is something that falls outside of what he can handle. He is also quite reckless, doing anything to win a fight, even if it means letting himself get wounded to get the upper hand.

bubby

Quote from: Lady Lunarius on June 22, 2012, 12:32:17 AM
Name: Nouvie

Association: Wander/Rebel/Air Elemental

History: The Plains of Tiskele were never a place for someone like Nouvie. She knew it, there was so much more out there to learn about, to see. Her dream, it would be lived out it would be reached. Ever since childhood she found herself tethered, allowed only to see what her father would have her see. Her mother, the cause for her daughters near imprisonment, was no where to be found. As curious as her mother, her father feared he'd lose the only thing the woman had given him if he allowed her to venture on her own.

Though not rich by any means, he held many sums that allowed for him to live just above his status, and thus allowed for him to hire guards to protect his assets. His daughter included. When Nouvie was sixteen her father allowed her to roam in some nearby fields, a guard in tow. The man was gentle, kind, and in Nouvie's impressionable mind; in love with her and she with him. Their talks grew long and her wants were his to know. Their romance grew, and their love began to grow more as they talked on leaving, running away. Most the idea's coming from Nouvie.

It was the night of her first kiss, her first feeling of a man's hand upon her body, her hips, her entire being. Somehow her father had found out about it, and shattered it before she was "ruined". Her fantasies and desires were all uprooted and torn away from her as she watched the life leave the eyes of the man who'd given her more than anyone. Her innocence shattered, Nouvie tried on multiple occasions to flee, to run and live her own life. However after the sixth attempt she found herself tethered to her bed by her ankle. Just enough chain to allow her a view from the window, to weep the freedom she was denied.

There were times where she could nearly talk the guards into freeing her but her father always found out about it. Suitors who watched her in her window would come but were turned away by her father. He could not lose the one person that reminded him of her mother. It was just a week after her 18th birthday that she awoke with a strange feeling rushing through her. As she moved to slip from beneath her covers she let out a soft squeal as her body brushed the cieling of her bedroom.

Her body immediately dropped to the floor, and footsteps could be heard. Unsure of what had happened she tried to go along with the worry that was flooding the household from the noise of her dropping to the floor.  Unsure of what it was, she begged her luck not to leave her as the men rushed in, her father behind them his eyes searching the room.

She wimpred and pleaded, her eyes wide with fear as she tugged at the chain on her ankle. She begged to be unchained, telling them of a man who'd been in her room, who'd leapt from the window, which she always kept open for the wind helped her to sleep in the night. Reluctant at first, her father ordered the men to search the grounds, leaving one with her. She begged and pleaded with her guard to release her chains, her tears thick as her lies. Finally the man succumbed and unchained her.

Just then a gust of air rushed, knocking him back. Her body felt lighter and the noise had attracted the attention of the guards outside who rushed inside. Looking around, Nouvie limped to the window, her ankle sore from the leather that had been wrapped around it, rubbing it raw. Grabbign a dress she jumped her prayers with whatever magic had awoken. In her mind it was a handsome prince of the air that had sought to free her. As her body fell to the earth, she begged for it to slow her and a gentle breeze seemed to blow her to the ground and onto her feet.

Pulling herself onto one of the guards horses she pushed the beast hard, letting it take her as far as possible, but the poor beast could not keep up with her pace she drove it out and died within a few days. It was then Nouvie realized she had no clue as to where she was, and the excitement seemed to well up inside her. Soon she started to wander, eating what little rations were in the horse saddle.

She tried to stay from the towns but there were days where she was too hungry to pick strange berries some of which often made her sick. In some of the towns she embraced the pity of the innkeepers, spinning tales about her parents deaths, and their lives. Though she did learn quickly freedom wasn't all it had been in her mind. Especially when the nights grew cold, and the wind seemed to be her only protection.

Strengths: Unusually quick on her feet, Nouvie can out run quite a few animals,  At times she's found herself able to float in the air, or deflect objects thrown at her with the help of whatever powers she can control but even then it seems to have a mind of its own, which frightens her to some degree.

Weaknesses: Often flighty, and a bit naive, Nouvie's sheltered personality often is easily seen. She tends to have a harsh temper, many times as sharp as the wind and nearly as dangerous. Due to her sheltered life she has no real understanding on just what her powers mean, nor does she realize the truth that they hold. The truth that while she's free of her father for now, she has no other means of defending herself as she was never raised to wield a weapon.

Sussurus

Name: Elspeth Feldspar
Association
: Hunter

History
: Elspeth grew up hearing stories of the Queen, passed down from the great-grandmother who fought for her in the Rebellion. When she was seven, Elspeth declared that she, too, would fight for the Queen some day... and unlike many childish dreamers, she never wavered from that goal. After many years of training, she is now a proud Hunter.

Her younger sister is currently following in her footsteps... though she doesn't quite possess Elspeth's single-minded obsession with her goals. Her older sister is married, and has three children, who Elspeth dotes on -- one of the few signs of softness in this otherwise steely woman.

Strengths: Her skill with a sword is undeniable, and her fierce determination makes her a formidable foe in any context. She is also a minor fire elementalist, having learned that she can focus her will to heat up the metal of her enemy's weapons or armor. Knowing this ability to be proscribed, she is very careful about when and how she uses it. The only one who knows -- who's still alive -- is her younger sister.

Weaknesses: Her temper sometimes escapes her control... especially with anyone who so much as hints at disrespect of the Queen. Also, her single-minded devotion to honing her fighting abilities has left her with little in the way of social skills, or friends. She has never had a lover... although she has injured a few men who made too coarse of a pass at her.

bubby

OOhh Suss... I like her. It's going to be most wondrous fun when the Queen finds out about her penchant for Fire. Who will be the one to find out this little fact I wonder?

*Grins at Veluux*  ;)

Sussurus

Heh, thanks. And yes, that was my thinking... I'll try not to get too attached to her. ;)

RipTide

I'll try to have a character sheet up soon! Sorry for the delay.

Drake Valentine

Minor question: This seems to have some fantasy elements to it, so I am curios if this is more 'human' flavoring(as I see lots of those sorts) or are you taking on fictional races as well? I'm just curios what type of overall 'world' this is for this game. >.>

"When I'm Done With You, You'll Be a:
Raped, Bloody, And Humiliated, Little Alice in Wonderland."

Introduction | O&Os | O&Os2 | IM RP Request(Canceled 04/11/2010) | A&As(Updated 10/29/13) | Solo RP Request (Updated 09/20/14)
Pale Eclipse - Group Game Project{Paused} 

bubby

Quote from: RipTide on September 14, 2012, 07:27:43 PM
I'll try to have a character sheet up soon! Sorry for the delay.

No major hurry darlin', it'll be a bot before this game begins in earnest.

Quote from: Drake Valentine on September 14, 2012, 11:19:01 PM
Minor question: This seems to have some fantasy elements to it, so I am curios if this is more 'human' flavoring(as I see lots of those sorts) or are you taking on fictional races as well? I'm just curios what type of overall 'world' this is for this game. >.>

What race were you thinking?

The main reason I have everyone as human is due to the fact that fictional races mostly always hold inherent magic, and the only magic in this game is control of the Elements. And the Queen has killed everyone who's had an inkling. Making everyone 'human' just makes it less of an issue with any others holding magic.

Starlequin

Name: Roman Cooper (AKA Roman Caldera)

Physical Description:

Affiliation/Title: Rebel/Disgraced Noble/Gambler

History: Roman Caldera had an easier childhood than most. He was born into a family of nobility whose allegiance to the Queen was unquestioned, and for much of his young life he had no idea of what went on in the villages outside his sheltered world. And honestly, he wouldn't have given much of a damn if he had. Roman has always been a bit selfish, and he's more than once put his own well-being and the honor of his family name ahead of the good of others. But just because a man is raised to be heartless doesn't mean he won't find some sliver of good in himself on his own.

One day while accompanying his father to inspect some of the family's holdings on the border of their territory, an incident with a small band of knights and a merchant's caravan showed Roman the sort of oppression that people suffered under the Queen's rule. Upon returning home, Roman packed a bag and snuck out of the manor during the night, forsook his family name and struck out on his own, intent on learning whether things were really so horrible throughout the whole of the queendom -- and whether he was capable of doing anything about it.

Now Roman Cooper, he's learned the answer to the first question. Things are indeed horrible everywhere, and the situation only grows worse by the day. The Queen bleeds the lands with her accursed magic, and bleeds the people with her reign of taxes and terror. Roman understands why his family has remained loyal to Saryana, but after what he's seen during his five years of travel, he no longer can. The time has come for him to find an answer to his second question, and sadly, that answer is beginning to look as desperate as the first...

In an effort to keep himself as close as possible to the affluent standard of living to which he's accustomed, Roman has taken up gambling, usually in card or dice games, as a sort of hobby/profession. He's proven to be surpisingly good at it, often winning large sums of money from merchants or fellow nobles too stupid to hold onto their coin. However, the thrill of the game does have a tendency to override Roman's common sense, and he's developed a rather powerful addiction to the sport. As a result, Roman almost never turns down a wager, no matter the stakes: money...time...his life...

Strengths: Thanks to his wealthy upbringing, Roman learned horsemanship, archery and bladeplay from an early age, and thanks to his abrasively aristocratic personality and initial lack of understanding of the graces and manners of the 'common' people, he's been forced to gain a lot of practical experience in those fields, as well. He fights with a pair of long bladed daggers and keeps several small throwing knives hidden in various pockets. Realizing the stakes of a battle are usually life and death, he almost never fights fair and cheats at every opportunity.

Weaknesses: Despite living among 'the little people' for several years, Roman still thinks very much like a noble, and he has a habit of turning his nose up at things he considers distasteful or gauche. This has caused him a lot of trouble in both making and keeping friends and contacts, and it's cost him a great deal in money and effort to smoothe over all the feathers he's ruffled. As well, his proclivity for wagering and losing more than he can afford has gotten him in trouble more than once.

Wajin

Just a quick question, on what technological level are we? I have an idea for a rebel/rebellious gunsmith/tinkerer 
I have taken the Oath of the Drake
"--But every sin...is punished, but punished by death, no matter the crime. No matter the scale of the sin. The people of the city live in silence, lest a single word earn them death for speaking out against you."

"Yes. Listen. Listen to the sound of raw silence. Is it not serene?"

Drake Valentine

Quote from: bubby on September 15, 2012, 01:50:54 AM

What race were you thinking?

The main reason I have everyone as human is due to the fact that fictional races mostly always hold inherent magic, and the only magic in this game is control of the Elements. And the Queen has killed everyone who's had an inkling. Making everyone 'human' just makes it less of an issue with any others holding magic.

......Orc. >.>`

Introduction | O&Os | O&Os2 | IM RP Request(Canceled 04/11/2010) | A&As(Updated 10/29/13) | Solo RP Request (Updated 09/20/14)

bubby

Quote from: A Japanese Dane on September 15, 2012, 06:33:45 AM
Just a quick question, on what technological level are we? I have an idea for a rebel/rebellious gunsmith/tinkerer

I appreciate the enthusiasm but we're at completely medieval. No guns or tech at all.

Quote from: Drake Valentine on September 15, 2012, 07:50:37 AM
......Orc. >.>`

Aahhh. Though I am very keen on having you in my story Drake, because I've seen your writing and I thoroughly enjoy it, Orc is too much. Although... I might have an idea... I'll PM you with it!

Wajin

Inventor then? Alchemist like, experimenting with stuff, like the alchemists of Europe in the medieval times, maybe supplying the rebels with various projects of his.
"--But every sin...is punished, but punished by death, no matter the crime. No matter the scale of the sin. The people of the city live in silence, lest a single word earn them death for speaking out against you."

bubby

Hhhmmm... that might work actually. As long as it's kept totally medieval, I think that would be a nifty addition to the Rebel force. Go ahead and PM me a char sheet when you can, and I'll let you know what I think!

Wajin

Name: Eadric Van Vilmoor
Physical Description:
Affiliation Rebel
Title: Mad Man, Inventor, the mad Alchemist.
History: Eadric Van Vilmoor was born to the eccentric nobleman Wilfred Van Vilmoor. An only child Eadric was spoiled immensely by his father, at an early age his interest in all things relating to the way the world worked was evident, therefore his father bought all the tomes and scrolls he could find, letting his son have the best of the best teachers. As a hobby during his youth he took up archery prefering it . In his father's library Eadric uncovered scrolls and books from before the queens reign, books with knowledge long forgotten, notes from people studying how to harness nature through science, even a few by old "mages". At the age of 20 Eadric was brought into the royal university as an alchemist to try and help the army develop weapons. His research led to several breakthroughs in the way stone could be used to build walls, he had found that by mixing tar and gravel you could get the stones to stick together with greater strength. But all the years of seclusion, deep in research had deteriorated his mind, and he was found carrying out heinous experiments on guards that would mysteriously disappear from the castle, testing the effects of acids on human skin, and discovering what happened when you introduced various herbs to the blood. As he fled the capital Eadric was taken in by the rebels and given a steady supply of prisoners to test his inventions on.
Strengths: Master scientist, genius beyond the scope of most. Happy to any that brings him new knowledge, or new things to study, skilled archer.
Weaknesses: Barking mad, weak social skills, completely unpredictable.

bubby

This is rounding out wonderfully guys!

Later tonight or tomorrow I'll put up a list of who is who and such. With people school/work schedules I know many are very busy, but I'm shooting to begin this game by next weekend at the latest, if not a bit sooner.

I'll use the interim time to gather more Hunters and Rebels... hopefully!

Wajin

Looking forward to playing the mad guy in the bunch :D

Starlequin

I'm suddenly picturing Roman down in Eadric's lab, rolling dice and wagering for a portion of his 'research funds' against service time as a guinea pig...

Wajin

I wouldn't wanna do that if I were you :P not with the things I'm planning on him making for his own personal little arsenal

Starlequin

You clearly do not appreciate the depths of Roman's addiction...to winning... '>.>  Besides, I'm not talking about actually lethal weapons, more like prototypes still in beta that, like, turn his skin blue, or grow tentacles on his gibblies for a few hours... :P

bubby

Wajin

Suddenly I get the sentence "I don't know what'll do to a human.. but it turned my dear cat Percival's liver blue... and made his blood honey sweet.." in my mind

Starlequin

*gulp!* "I, uh...I don't suppose you'd consider a best of three, Doctor? ...No, I rather doubted as much. Still, I'll thank you to refrain from holding any such *shudders* taste tests with my personal fluids, if you'd be so kind..."

RipTide

Name: Anarr

Physical Description: Fair-haired and blue-eyed, Anarr has an almost regal appearance, though any possibility of noble blood is next to impossible. She's thin and tall, her muscles toned and firm. Her lips are a pale pink and her complexion deeply tanned from years spent out in the sun.

Affiliation/Title: Rebel/Water elemental

History: Anarr never had a home. No hearth to curl up to when nights got cold and her dreams frightened her. Despite this, she was always surrounded by family. They just never stayed in one place for very long. Anarr was raised by a nomadic tribe, and by no one person in particular. She has no single mother or father, and does not even know who it was that gave birth to her, but such questions need not be asked. She had all she ever needed with the stars above her, the roots and branches of the trees cradling her to sleep every night, and the constant friendship and companionship of her tribe. It was all quickly taken away from her, however, within but a few moments.

One night, Anarr awoke to the shouts and screams of her tribe and the roar of the flames, the groaning and creaking of the trees as they were licked to ashes by flames. There was no telling how it started, but there were more than enough people who disliked them enough to try and exterminate them with a forest fire. It was burning with rage before she even realized it and survival seemed bleak. Her skin gleamed with sweat from the heat as she dodged burning branches, but the flames quickly rose up all around her, moments away from consuming her sweet flesh.

And that's all she can remember. It was completely black, her memory, of the moments that followed, but that next morning, she awoke, lying in a puddle, surrounded by a perfect circle of green, lush, grass, when everything else around her was charred and black. She had survived the fire, and had never known how, until the day she had almost died.

Life had been hard on her own. She travelled where she could, often imposing on families that were kind enough to at least offer her a meal during the winter when hunting was difficult. One particular day, however, in the summer months, Anarr had been traveling for days and no source of water could be found. There was a terrible drought that year, and Anarr collapsed. Her mouth felt full of sand, her muscles were aching with each slight movement, and she thought she would die of dehydration within moments as she laid upon the crisp, sun-fried grass. But all at once, the sky turned a ghastly gray, and for the first time in months, it rained. It was all she could do to push herself onto her back, opening her mouth to collect water. It was the second time she had been saved, and slowly, Anarr came to the realization of what it all meant.

Strengths: Despite her lack of education, Anarr has a quick mind. She knows what it takes to survive, including hunting, identifying edible flora, how to make shelter, fire, and how to navigate by the stars. It's what she's been doing for the entirety of her life. She is also very skilled with a bow and arrow.

Weaknesses: Unfortunately, while she is good with a long-range weapon, Anarr does not fair well at hand-to-hand combat, though she can manage if she must, at least to not get killed. Not only this, but she has quite the conscience and has a hard time keeping her heart from interfering with her decisions. Also, she has a fear of fire.

bubby

GM UPDATE
The Cast So Far

Elementals/Rebels

EARTH: Sam Mcknight (Played by Wolfy)

AIR: Nouvie (Played by Lady Lunarius)

WATER: Anarr (Played by RipTide)

FIRE: 'Bird' (Played by Cyrano)

Rebel Force
Ahltair Maesson *Tentative Leader*(Played by Veluux)
Roman Cooper/Caldera (Played by Starlequin)
Eadric Van Vilmoor (Played by A Japanese Dane)

Novan Te 'litha *Ex-Hunter seeking to join the Rebels* (Played by Featherfall)

Queens Hunters
Roslyn 'Phoenix' Kindle (Played by Veluux)
Elspeth (Played by Sussurus)
Hyperion (Played by TheRaven)
Raven 'Rae' Ironholt (Played by Sussurus)
*waiting on char sheet* (Played by Drake Valentine)

Looking good so far! I'm going to keep the search going for a few days though, because I'd like to round out the Rebel Force with a couple females, and maybe a couple more Hunters as well, perhaps one who's having inner issues with being a killer, plus I'd like the numbers of good vs evil to coincide a bit more.

Wajin

bubby

Well if you know anyone you write with who might be interested let them know I'm looking darlin'!

Featherfall

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Name: Novan Te'litha

Physical Description:
In Hunter Gear

On the run:

Affiliation/Title: Ex-Hunter/Aspiring Rebel

History: Novan was just another in a long list of those who have been swayed by the charisma of the queen; just another loyal minion who volunteered for the Hunters. Yet Novan soon proved to be unique among them; his talent with a sword was often compared to a bird in flight, or a fish swimming; a natural master of it who diligently practiced with almost his every waking breath. To say he was the best swordsman among the Hunters was a gross understatement. The Queen herself took a liking to his ability and often called upon him to spar with her, citing that he was the only one who could let her stretch her muscles against a living opponent. They were not serious bouts; he would be appalled at the thought of drawing the blood of his god-queen, and she would have pulverized him anyway, if not with swordskill alone than certainly with her incomparable powers. Though their interactions were close, Novan would not dare call himself the queen’s friend; he would rather be seen as her most dependable warrior, and she agreed. Many called him ‘The Queen’s Blade’, and he relished in that title.

What he did not relish in, however, was the killing.

At first he thought about it the same way any of the Queen’s devoted fanatics thought of it; these were rebels, traitors, filthy heathens who dared touch sacred powers that were the queen’s and the queen’s alone. But, brigands and armed bandits became fathers who claimed they never wanted to light a fire; disgruntled nobles and their conscript armies became mothers who swore that the neighbors who claimed she made water move were lying harpies.

It wasn’t until both mothers and fathers became corpses trying to protect children not old enough to leave their parents’ fields that Novan stopped seeing his Queen as the monster she was, rather than the god she claimed to be. Instead of killing the children, he slew his own Huntsmen, and hid the children in various homes of the village. When he reported back to the queen, he made some cacophony story up that sounded quite plausible, and had the queen nodding her head.

She continued to nod when she tossed him the head of the village elder who had agreed to his plan.

To this day Novan did not know which of them attacked first. He did know that for the first time in his life, his skills, body, and mind were put to a test that they never had been before. He would later muse if what he felt then was what others felt when they faced him; that all his training, all his talent, was worthless in the presence of one of the truly ‘chosen’.

He was forced to leap from a window, covered with wounds, and flee for his life. Now he was one of the pursued and hunted, and on a merry chase he led those who tried to find him, hiding to lick his wounds when could, fending off the sharks who smelled his blood when he couldn’t. Through it all, he cursed his own stupidity and foolishness, both for allowing himself to be used in a madwoman’s quest to hold all power, and for believing, even for a second, that skill alone could ever overcome magic. It was during one lull in what seemed like a never-ending loop of hiding, fighting, and self-pity that he found it; his saving grace, his redemption.

It was an old manual, ancient and barely holding itself together. What little inside Novan could read clearly identified it as a training book for Air users. While the manual was all but useless to him, from its pages he was able to decipher a new sword technique, something that might even the scale against a magic user; the ability to cut through the air itself, forcing air pressure along a straight path that could slice through almost anything.

By itself, it wasn’t enough. But it was a start. And soon there was talk of the former Hunter, who could face the queen and live,  was on the march again…

Strengths: Quite possibly the greatest swordsman of the modern era, or any era. Like any Hunter worth his salt, he is also quite skilled at tracking, investigation, and infiltration.

Weaknesses: Specialized to the point of insanity. Give him a sword or a sword like weapon, and he is a fighting genius. Ask him to fight with only his fists or even another un-sword like weapon, and he is average at best, incompetent at worst. He’s single-minded mission of redemption also makes him deaf to almost anyone else, seeing anyone as a burden that would get in the way regardless of their abilities.

bubby

Seriously gang, we need some female Rebels...it's becoming a sausage fest!  ::)

I of course love it...  >:) ... sexeh mrowr... but our poor Air and Water Elementals will have a hard time, and we need girls for Earth and Fire!

Sussurus

Are you looking specifically for Rebels with Air & Water affinities? Might be helpful to know what level of power / what kind of abilities these characters can have...

Starlequin

Quote... but our poor Air and Water Elementals will have a hard time...

I see what you did there... >:)

bubby

Quote from: Starlequin on September 16, 2012, 07:52:13 PM
I see what you did there... >:)

Star.. my fav naughty boy...  ;D

Quote from: Sussurus on September 16, 2012, 07:26:56 PM
Are you looking specifically for Rebels with Air & Water affinities? Might be helpful to know what level of power / what kind of abilities these characters can have...

Actually I am not. Something in that nature was how I had things with my last attempt at this game, and it didn't work so well. Veluux will be the one char who has a bit of knowledge of the Elements passed down to his char through his ancestors.

I'm just looking for females to round things out and give others to play with. *Eyes Star* Yeah I typed it.

Sussurus

*facepalm* I get it...  ::)

Think I have enough straight females in play right now, though, so unless you want a burly female smith with no interest in men, I think I'll have to stick with my Hunters. (I figure the little sister is next in line when I get Elspeth killed off.  ;D )

bubby

Lol!

No, I think I'll keep you for 'expendable Hunter' player. It fits perfect for the game!

Sussurus

Ooh, can one of my expendables be an ex-lover of Novan's? Or is he like Elspeth, too busy to get busy?  ;)

bubby

Quote from: Sussurus on September 16, 2012, 08:20:15 PM
Ooh, can one of my expendables be an ex-lover of Novan's? Or is he like Elspeth, too busy to get busy?  ;)

That's up to him! I like the idea myself... I say toss him a PM!

Featherfall

I don't mind myself; just let me know which character you had in mind.

Sussurus

Nobody specific yet... if you have any guidelines, feel do let me know. I'm thinking someone who's pretty fanatically devoted to the Queen, otherwise they'd have been tempted to leave when he did...

bubby

....and then Novan can be the one to eventually maybe take her out!  ;D

TheRaven

I could provide a hunter, if you like. I've got a few Lawful Evil types hanging out in my head for the occasion.  >:)
"Hey," said Shadow. "Huginn or Muninn, or whoever you are"
The bird turned, head tipped, suspiciously, on one side, and it stared at him with bright eyes.
"Say 'Nevermore,'" said Shadow.
"Fuck you," said the raven.

bubby

Quote from: TheRaven on September 16, 2012, 09:08:31 PM
I could provide a hunter, if you like. I've got a few Lawful Evil types hanging out in my head for the occasion.  >:)

Go ahead and make out a character then darlin', and PM it to me at your leisure. Nohuge hurry right now. I'm not going to be starting this game 'til next weekend more then likely.

Veluux

Didn't catch this thread for some reason. Anyhow - here's the Lead Hunter (promotions always get me excited!), Rebel Sage to come shortly.

Name: Roslyn 'Phoenix' Kindle
Affiliation/Title: Queen's Lead Huntress and Peity Enforcer
Physical Description: 5'7" 129lbs. Crimson Hair, Emerald eyes.

History:
     Roslyn was born a distant descendant of Queen Saryana's tribe; and being so, she paid great care to the histories of her people. As a very young child she was enthralled by the tales of Queen Saryana, both the literary and oral renditions of her heroic deeds. The Queen had been the red-head's hero during those young, formative years, and was held in very high regard by Roslyn. So she watched the woman carefully, admiring how she had the courage to lead, and the bravery to fight, and was also in pure awe of Saryana's elemental power.
     As a young orphan girl who idolized the Queen, she persistently worked at finding a way into the castle, eventually winning over one of the Queen's former bodyguards, who took her in and raised her after he had retired.  Her adoptive 'father' was deeply entranced by the Queen's beauty and power and loved her blindly - though he could never have her. Roslyn's mind became plagued with his amorous fantastical view of her, and eventually Saryana also became her obsession - though more as a role model. As a teenager she began to perfect the ways of sword-fighting and deception, with aspirations to become the Queen's personal bodyguard some day.
     That never ended up happening. Roslyn was so beautiful and had became so stubborn in all of her duties that she quickly flourished as a young hunter - never giving up on her prey and proving consistently capable at getting close enough for the kill on the most cautious of targets. She fights with two standard swords, though her style is unpredictable and mesmerizing and she will do just about anything to gain an advantage in battle.
     She earned the nickname 'Phoenix' after a particularly devilish deed of getting one of her targets to fall in love with her. The man had been too cautious for her to kill him, even in the throes of love... so she faked her own death. The night after the funeral she came to their bedchambers in the guise of her own confused and lost spirit and murdered the dumbfounded man.

Strengths:
     Roslyn is very beautiful and frequently uses her looks to seduce people into doing what she wants them to do - men and women alike. She is also a very keen swordsman and has a good knowledge of one on one combat tactics. She's a superb tracker and relentless, and she also has a fierce spirit that seems to make her stronger and sharper than she really should be.

Weaknesses:
     Roslyn's greatest weaknesses stem from her greatest strengths. She is far too stubborn and bold to take any advice from others - aside from the Queen herself. She is so exceedingly relentless and determined that she often gets herself into situations she cannot handle. It is only by pure chance that she has survived those encounters relatively unscathed; but they have made her even more blind to her short-comings.
     That being said, she is also completely oblivious to the Queen's flaws - Saryana sitting on such a high pedestal in her mind that hearing even the slightest negative comment is regarded as madness or blasphemy... Saryana's heroic deeds cemented themselves into Roslyn's mind and she is incapable of seeing evil in the Queen.
     She is also explosively (and near psychotically) emotional when it comes to praise or damning of the Queen's doings. One of Roslyn's personal hobbies is hunting down those who spread rumors about the Queen's wickedness - which is partly the reason that she is so useful to the Queen's inner circle. However, she is so emotionally unstable and unpredictable that she never has - and never will - be allowed into that circle... but the proximity she has already attained makes her content enough.

I am watching you [you]...
From the darkest of shadows...

bubby

Oh I heart Phoenix so much. Can't wait to see the change in Ahdair!

Sussurus

Name: Raven 'Rae' Ironholt
Association: Hunter

History
: Born to another name -- one she has chosen to forget -- Rae was the child of a cult leader and one of his many female acolytes. He was a water elementalist, and the cult revolved around his abilities. Much was made of 'purification.' To this day, Rae has a serious fear of water.

When a small band of Hunters broke up the cult and killed her father, Rae was frightened, but ultimately, she was profoundly grateful. She clung to Matthias Ironholt, the leader of the group, and he and his wife adopted the girl. Eager to follow in her new father's footsteps, she took to the sword, displaying a considerable natural talent.

She ultimately became a Hunter, joining just as her adoptive father was retiring. Accustomed to being the best of those she sparred with -- her aging father included -- she was shocked to find herself consistently bested by Novan Te'litha. Their rivalry ultimately led to a tumultuous romance... and even after his betrayal and desertion, she still has deep and unsettling feelings for him.

Strengths: Coming in second to Novan still puts her among the first of the Hunters, in swordsmanship. Her hatred of elementalists lends her a terrifying cold fury, when fighting them.

Weaknesses: Her fear of water is a true phobia, and she has trouble even crossing a stream... although she can force herself to do it. Deeper water is more problematic.

Wajin

I was thinking, if any loyals, turned rebels wanna maybe, add some background, characters having met before, stuff like that

bubby

Starlequin

Sooo...the Good Guys are basically a sausage fest, and the Bad Guys are...a clambake? ;D

Edit: Aaaand now I'm hungry. ::)

bubby

Quote from: Starlequin on September 17, 2012, 04:08:46 PM
Sooo...the Good Guys are basically a sausage fest, and the Bad Guys are...a clambake? ;D

Edit: Aaaand now I'm hungry. ::)

;D HAH!

Spero

RP Status: Seeking New Roleplays // Muse Status: Active and Around // Mood Status: Hopeful
CRAVING!: Dark Fantasy & Warhammer 40k Roleplay! Please PM if you want to RP~

TheRaven

"Hey," said Shadow. "Huginn or Muninn, or whoever you are"
The bird turned, head tipped, suspiciously, on one side, and it stared at him with bright eyes.
"Say 'Nevermore,'" said Shadow.
"Fuck you," said the raven.

RipTide

I'm thinking about making a rebel character as well. If I do, I'll send you her character sheet.

bubby

Quote from: Oracle Eyes on September 17, 2012, 05:35:11 PM
PM Sent

Responded to!

Quote from: TheRaven on September 17, 2012, 06:36:42 PM
Also, PM about to be sent. Male Hunter on the way.  8-)

Accepted!

Quote from: RipTide on September 17, 2012, 07:48:19 PM
I'm thinking about making a rebel character as well. If I do, I'll send you her character sheet.

If you'd like to hun, you are more then welcome to. If you do then I can close the recruiting process. Let me know!

bubby

Name: Hyperion

Affiliation/Title: Hunter, noble bastard

History: The illegitimate son of a low-ranking noble and a maid in his household, Hyperion spent his childhood in the estate as a servant, mostly in the kennels, always dreaming of climbing the ladder of society and reaching a point where his whole “birth outside of marriage” issue wouldn’t be addressed. He set his eyes on one job: Hunter.

Hyperion trained with the closest weapons he could find at hand, kitchen knives, in an attempt to learn some sort of weapons skills. Surprisingly to him, he found that it was pretty easy to steal them in the first place, in addition to learning how to use them on the stuffed men on the training grounds. Over the years, he shifted from a scraggly-headed little boy stealing kitchen knives to a steely-eyed man with a criminal bent. During his transformation, he went from palming cooking implements to cutting purses, picking locks, and general shadowy skulking.

After a few years working as a professional mercenary (read: assassin), Hyperion was picked up by the Hunters to take down Elementals. During the time since his being recruited, he has personally tracked and killed three Elementals, and has at least been an accessory to the death of another three.

Strengths: Very intelligent, keeps two bloodhounds named Frik and Frak to help him track his prey, and is an excellent knife fighter and thrower.

Weaknesses: As stated in his bio, Hyperion has serious issues with his father. Bringing up his father and rubbing his parentage in his face is an excellent way to get him to toss caution (and his usual modi operandi) to the wind in favor of raw and primal rage.

bubby

Player list updated. I think I have enough Hunters for now. I have one interest for a female Rebel, and RipTide expressed interest in making a second char, so hopefully the ladies are still interested, and I can officially close the interest thread!

Starlequin

D'aww, you made an evil(er) Roman! *pinches his cheek* he's so cute, yes him is! :P

bubby

RipTide

I'm still interested in making another rebel. I was thinking maybe someone less of a fighter and more of a wordsmith; someone persuasive, good at speaking in public, good at gathering and empowering people under one cause. How does that sound?

Drake Valentine

Name:
Gorgrim (Allick Silverstar)
Physical Description:

Affiliation/Title:
Queen’s Pet(Hunter)
History:
Long

Allick Silverstar, not a birth name mind you. He can vaguely recall his name in his younger years. Back then there are short memories of running and playing in the wilderness or on the rooftops from his birthplace; he does recall coming from a poor family, a quiet village which was put to the torch under the impression of possible rebellion. Many were killed, those that survived were taken prisoner and some sold into slavery, such happened to the barbaric child who would later be deemed Allick.

The boy was ‘adopted’ by a noble who gained his famed in arms dealing. Silverstar was a blessing name, many of the wears that were sold carried a similar title for businesses sake; however, Allick wasn’t the most treasured of boys. The child could never do anything right, he was wild and as expected, barbaric. There were many times that he was whipped, many times that he escaped traditional teachings of proper etiquette. Frustrated, his caretaker decided for a better demonstration of business and soon had his adopted son sent off to the arena to make a name for himself or die in the process to get rid of him.

Allick was given a talented teacher, a man renown in martial skills and weapon combat. The boy wasn’t simply thrown out to the lions, no, his adopted father did wish for him to make a name for himself and even let the trainer know to do what needs to be done so that the child would be broken in.

Growing up was rough for Allick, he was beaten mercilessly, forced to train under extreme conditions. He was taught the cold truth that no one is born a genius, that one had to strive themselves every day to get better or that they would be the ones faced down in the sand bleeding to death. The growing man was forced to watch various arena bouts between other contestants, forced to witness the cruel reality that happened to those that were defeated. Allick never wanted to be one of the ones lying lifeless and forgotten. He was told that the victors will grow famous, that one day many would scream the champion’s name. That one could even become ‘God of the Arena’ and be worshipped maybe even inspired other nobility and royalty alike.

Allick’s first encounter with the Queen wasn’t what many may expect. At that time there were some doubting her prowess, some who called her out and thus she decided to make an example of the lot within the very arena. Allick had no idea who she was then, but he could still remember the slaughtering. He had his doubts, expecting them to be sending her out to die, but the brutality shaped itself in his mind when she alone killed several men to make a point. He was still in his teens then, not to forget he was as brash and bold to greet her before she left the arena, escorted by several of her hunters.

“When I get good, we should have a match and if I win, you will become my woman!” Those were the blatant words he told her before respected hunters. Many of them were on the draw to unsheathe their weapons upon the mere young man. Thankful his trainer was there to quickly knock Allick upside the head and to the ground, apologizing to the party for forgiveness for his rude pupil. Perhaps that day the Queen was feeling a bit merciful after her match or maybe the brashness of young Allick inspired an interest. It is hard to say, but the Queen left the duo without taking any action that day.

Allick slowly climb the ladder of renown within the arena. He was likely one of the youngest competitors as well, fighting at an age of fifteen against various grown men. He wasn’t outright thrown to the lions, even new blood wasn’t tossed to seasoned fighters. There was even some disapproval in the crowd to see such a ‘boy’ fighting, but Allick managed to surprise them all with his consecutive victories which went on for a good decade.

Allick the Bold, Allick the Fearless, the young man had various titles within the arena. He was always pushing himself, even after he became champion at the youngest of sixteen. Within that decade he held the title, broadening himself by fighting multiple opponents as well. How else could he match the Queen with just one on one bouts in the arena? It gave the crowd what they wanted, he trained himself against seasoned men and prisoners set to execution. He had already carved his name through the history of the arena and his bouts kept drawing attention, inevitably catching even the Queen to observe his matches.

Even grown, Allick was still a ’boy’ in means of wanting to show off. He boldly went up against a rival school three to one, something his master had forbid him to do. It wasn’t ’noble’ to generally show off against other well known gladiators, and since the Queen was there watching this event the man went farther in humiliating his opponents by fighting them unarmed. It was a sight to behold for that age, him swaying and rolling, flipping and avoiding various swipes of his opponents swords. Countering by moving in and unleashing a fury of punches and kicks against his competitors. Two were disarmed and disemboweled by their own blades, the other fallen was mercilessly put to the sword when Allick climbed over his body and withdrew the blade, heaving it through the poor gladiator‘s skull.

If only he knew how furious the rival school were and how far they would go for revenge, he might of taken a different approach that day. They went after Allick fully by setting up his adopted father first, making it appear like the man was secretly giving weapons off to the rebel forces and soon leaking this information to the Queen’s informants. They further left more incriminating evidence by sneaking in Allick’s master’s home and leading more information that he was a part of the rebel forces and had been training Allick and the other students to one day take up a sword against the queen by tricking her to enter their compound with a small garrison of hunters.

One could only imagine the sparks these believable lies confounded.

Enraged, the Queen had Allick’s adopted father hung, his manor ransacked of all valuables and burned to the ground and his business fully compensated. Allick’s master was left to interrogation. There was a belief that he had some information with the rebel forces so he was victimized and tortured, never saying a word, always telling them that he was faithful that this was a mistake. Unfortunately that man inevitably died in the dungeons. Allick’s fellow ’brothers’ and ’sisters’ were taken and added to the experimentations of the Queen’s, along with Allick being the last on the list.

Allick didn’t put up much of a fight, many of his fellow comrades did, but he didn’t offer any resistance. Even when confronted on the possibility of treachery, given the chance of being ‘spared,’ if he told were the rebels were hiding, he merely shook his head and answered that he was no traitor. “Why would I betray the one I wish to make my woman?” He never expected things to end that way, being ignored, being bound for the dark ritual to come. He wasn’t sure what hurt the worst; not being believed, not able to tell the Queen how much he respected and loved her, or the blade ending his life.

Something happened during that ritual though, it could have been the late possibility of one of the Queen’s informants barging in in hopes of stopping her before killing Allick. Although that much was too late and to save themselves to not end up on a similar table and strapped down for their impudence, they apologetically told her that they found later proof that Allick’s master was innocent along with the rest of the currently deceased, falsely accused ‘rebels.’ That they were deceived by a rivalry feud.

While the best solution to handle the situation was debated over, Allick’s corpse underwent a change in pigment. His spirit was returning to his lifeless form and shockingly enough the man came back to life. Although, he couldn’t be considered as ’human,’ any longer, he had done lost the luster of his green eyes. There was nothing but a deep crimson about them, even his tanned flesh took a greenish hue. There were other changes of his body from the twisting from dark blood magic, some may expect a demon might as well possessed the host and violated it as such, making his teeth sharper along with other proportions of his body.

The informant advised the Queen to kill the monstrosity, but she ignored it. Maybe there was some intrigue to the dead coming back to life. Perhaps she was feeling confident enough of her own abilities as well if hostilities came. Though they didn’t when Allick was unbound, questioned of his loyalty. His manner of speech was mostly broken, vague then as it is today. Though actions spoke better than words and she had one task for him to initiate him as a hunter.

The rival school, well a lesson had to be made on them. She boldly called them out in their false claims and gave them an easy option. She would ‘let them get away with it’ only if they defeated her new test subject. There would be no interference either from her or her hunters that accompanied her that day. If they did win, they would have to leave the city and they would be unmolested in doing so as well. The options appeared more in their favor, they even thought her as blatantly insane to throw something as random as that at them. Not to mentioned a cloaked and lone individual.

The cruelty of reality was farther from the truth of what they had expected or assumed to be up against. The first rival student was disemboweled in one fluent movement from the shrouded advisory. Only shock silence fell from the remaining students and their master when they found their comrade laying in half on the ground and blood dropping out from the clothing of their opponent. It all had happened in a flash, but for those that watched closely, the inhumane being had swiped his curved blades through his victims torso to give him ample time to lower and shroud them in his clothing before the body hit the sandy floor.

From there it was a complete bloodbath and the more his destined enemies fell, the further he grew intoxicated by bloodlust. His adrenaline went haywire that day; and he suffered many wounds along his body, but none of them stopped him. Thankfully the only thing he lost in that bout was his cloak, having flung it into an opponent to stall their interference from him hacking apart another’s limbs. What he did to the leader was far more gruesome than the bodies of the students. It was enough to even sicken several of the hunters there. The phantom of ‘Allick’ skewered the mastermind of the plot, just enough to keep him alive, before proceeding in eating his destined prey before the Queen and her hunters.

From then on the Queen gave him a new name and made him her personal pet. There were a few hunters that spoke against this, but those that did later vanished from the Queen’s unit. Gorgrim had proven his skill so far and his loyalty is unquestionable towards the Queen. Live and serve, he doesn’t question his duties nor is he one to hesitate in stepping out on the battlefield when it comes to uprooting other rebels. Gorgrim has killed many that the Queen has directly told him to and boldly enough he has even ignored commands of doing similar from other hunters. There is only one voice he follows and that is Queen Saryana’s.

Strengths:
Meelee Prowness: In his former life he was a formidable adversely in both unarmed combat and dual wielding.
Acrobatics: Allick was always a natural acrobatic, in his younger years he was that kid playing out in the wilderness like a wild beast. His time spent in the arena only increased his acrobatics skill. His fighting style heavily relies on the use of various rolls, flips, and also turning the environment(or his opponents) into his playfield.
Throwing:  A later trait that he picked up in his former life, Allick has a tendency to heave a melee weapon into the body of an opponent with deadly accuracy and proficiency.
Spiritual Aptitude: In his new life, Gorgrim can detect things and people holding a hint of magic about them.
Bloodlust: Gorgrim feeds off of it, in the heat of battle he forgoes his feeling of pain, fear, and mercy. He indulges his beastly side and what survivors that may flee the scene will easily recall the horrors of the Queen’s monstrosity.
Weaknesses:
Beserker: Gorgrim is generally sent alone to quell small rebel forces. No one knows what twisted him so, but on the battlefield he becomes a beast unable to distinguish friend from foe once a large amount of blood is shed.  Not to mention he becomes very brutal and extreme in his killings.
Broken Language: His manner of speech and understanding isn’t perfect. He only retains vague memories in his past life and he does have minor knowledge of the meanings to certain things now.
Queen Devote: (If this can be consider a weakness) Gorgrim will outright attack anyone who blasphemous speaks of the Queen or anyone who as blatantly considers themselves to be the Queen. With that in mind, he won’t take orders from anyone other than her, not even the lead hunter has any control over him.
Past Name: He doesn’t like the mentioning of Allick Silverstar and if someone were to confront him with this identity, he might assault them in anger.
Lack of Armor: A small difference from arena life and his new life, although Gorgrim doesn’t limit his body movements with armor. This is both a good and bad thing, the plus side to it is the fact he can easily and freely move and doesn’t have to deal with the limitations upon his body(more flashy acrobatic movements,) the bad of course is that he is practically defenseless.

Veluux

Sorry for the wait on the Rebel Sage - 80 hours of work in 9 days keeps me rather busy. I will be working on it tonight though.

Also - for the time being please completely disregard the "Lead Hunter" profile I have for Roslyn. I will likely be completely reworking her - or scrapping her all together and coming up with a different lead hunter. My muse just isn't feeling Roslyn in this reboot with the new cast of characters. I think she'll feel to dull, repetitive, and - to be honest - very lacking as a leader.

Our last game had hunters with specific skill sets that weren't exactly fantastic swordsmen or quite so fanatically zealous about the Queen. They all had their own agendas. So Roslyn filled a unique role. I think all of these new hunters have taken up that role in the story - so I'll be figuring out what the plot needs and probably build something around that.

I probably won't get the new hunter up until Thursday or Friday night - but I promise it will be coming.

Anyways... rant over. Notable points are: Rebel Sage coming tonight, Lead Hunter in a couple days.

bubby

Quote from: RipTide on September 18, 2012, 07:31:02 PM
I'm still interested in making another rebel. I was thinking maybe someone less of a fighter and more of a wordsmith; someone persuasive, good at speaking in public, good at gathering and empowering people under one cause. How does that sound?

That actually sounds very good. Makes for a different aspect. I like it hun!

@Veluux: No worries! I know your work schedule is long and rough. Do what you can, I'll take you as I can get you!

Wajin

Veluux

Sorry for the hold up on my profiles everyone. My muse was in a funk yesterday (which is extremely uncommon during my normal writing times). I had to break out of it - and I believe I have. Unfortunately I have a very early day tomorrow - but it is my last day of work for nearly a week. So I should get the Lead Hunter and Rebel Sage out very soon. They're mostly already done - I just need to adjust some things in each of them - with the possibility of a big make-over for the hunter, as I mentioned before. I'll be getting on it when I get home from work tomorrow. PROMISE!

And bubby, thanks. I appreciate the understanding. We'll get this thing kicked off and rocking in the VERY near future! *pounces*

bubby

Quote from: Veluux on September 19, 2012, 07:58:18 PM
Sorry for the hold up on my profiles everyone. My muse was in a funk yesterday (which is extremely uncommon during my normal writing times). I had to break out of it - and I believe I have. Unfortunately I have a very early day tomorrow - but it is my last day of work for nearly a week. So I should get the Lead Hunter and Rebel Sage out very soon. They're mostly already done - I just need to adjust some things in each of them - with the possibility of a big make-over for the hunter, as I mentioned before. I'll be getting on it when I get home from work tomorrow. PROMISE!

And bubby, thanks. I appreciate the understanding. We'll get this thing kicked off and rocking in the VERY near future! *pounces*

*Rolls with and purrs against his neck*

I'm just glad you're staying luv.

And yes, we will get this thing kicked off, OFFICIALLY ON SATURDAY!

RipTide

Name: Gwyneth Browne

Physical Description: Gwyneth is a vision of femininity and grace. Every strand of her russet hair is in it's place, her pale skin unblemished, her full lips painted to perfection, and her green eyes alight with a passion. She is lithe and of little more than average height, and moves with the elegance of a feline.

Affiliation/Title: Rebel/Rallier

History: Raised to be a lady, Gwyneth is well educated, eloquent, and incredibly amiable. She was always diligent with her studies, never resting until her thirst for knowledge was satisfied for the day, or until her governess pried her books from her hands. One subject of interest for Gwyneth was the Queen herself. For many years, she dug up everything she could on their fearless Queen; her history, the strategies she used to overcome her captors when she was young, her youth and how she clung to it. Every detail there was, every word written about their leader, Gwyneth studied, and her opinion of her solidified. Unfortunately, however, her parents saw the Queen in a different light. They practically worshiped her, but Gwyneth always wondered if it was just to keep up appearances to maintain their reputation in society. Rather than pretending to believe in something she didn't, Gwyneth always kept her opinions to herself and deflected any questions pertaining to the subject to keep her and her family safe.

Gwyneth did have one friend she could always trust with her opinions, however. He'd been her best friend since she could remember and they shared many secrets. But Gwyneth hadn't been the only person he trusted. There were a few people he had mistakenly thought of as friends, but when they learned of his opinions, they turned him in. That evening, she watched the execution of her best friend. Since that day, Gwyneth swore she would use her voice, her words, and anything she had into the rebellion.

Strengths: All of Gwyneth's power lies in her words. She's persuasive and amiable, captivating anyone who gives her a moments time. Her determination is unyielding, and her passion only adds to her cause.

Weaknesses: Her training in any style of combat, though she's had some archery and fencing lessons, she's never faced an enemy to face, nor the possibility of having to take a life.

bubby

She's great RipTide! Thanks for making her! In a perfect world I'd get one more female Rebel  ::) to match up peeps better, but at this point I'll take what I can get.

Like I said, Saturday will be the day I get threads made and we can get this ball rolling.

bubby

ALLRIGHTALLRIGHTALLRIIIGHT!!!

TODAY IS THE DAY! I'm off to take care of some errands, but after that I intend to spend my next time allotment on E getting this game going with threads!

EVEN THOUGH Veluux hasn't posted his char. *Eyes him* He promised and everything. *Huffs*  ::)

Veluux

Quote from: bubby on September 22, 2012, 01:24:38 PM
ALLRIGHTALLRIGHTALLRIIIGHT!!!

TODAY IS THE DAY! I'm off to take care of some errands, but after that I intend to spend my next time allotment on E getting this game going with threads!

EVEN THOUGH Veluux hasn't posted his char. *Eyes him* He promised and everything. *Huffs*  ::)

O.O;;  ... I know, I ish mega sorry. Lot busier weekend then I was expecting. Havent made a single post or profile this weekend. Im away from home to pick up the fam from the airport. So if its tonight it will be late. My profiles are close, they just need some small tweaks. So you can just go off of them for now. Ive still got three more days off. It will get done.

* hides from bubby's painful whip* ^.^;;

bubby

Oh well hell. You have a valid excuse then. *Puts the whip away*

Veluux

*breathes a sigh of relief* That thing hurts...

I think I'll just keep Roslyn the way she is - since I already tweaked her profile to accommodate the reboot. I will get to the Rebel Sage tomorrow - but he is mostly the same. Rebel Marksmanship instructor - except he's familiar with all elements rather than wind alone. Also I'm going to be adding a little back story with Nouvie - since we had a good thing going in the last game.'

Bubby you have anything against Nouvie and I reworking our original posts for her element discovery and their first meeting? I was thinking it might be nice to retain some of that work and have them both in a place where Ahltair is freed up enough from working with her to return to the Rebel camp and start meeting the other elementals.

We've talked about it a little bit, but i'm not sure exactly how much Luna wants to keep or scrap. I know she wants to continue along with the dynamic the two already had before. I'll send her another PM and find out.

bubby

Behold the game threads!

Everyone, move on over to the OOC Thread to continue game conversation.

Here is the IC Thread. I am more then willing to make other threads if any of you feel them to be warrented.

See you in the OOC to begin discussions!

Veluux

FINALLY, FINISHED. Where are we posting these again??

Name: Ahltair Maesson
Title: Rebel Sage

History:
     Ahltair grew up in a small village in the wilderness between the great plains and the vast forested mountains to the far west of Glavnon's Capitol city. He was a very bright, high-spirited, and eerily wise young boy. He was also quite physically gifted, with sharp nerves, and a knack for anticipating things... almost a foresight - though it wasn't quite supernatural. The young boy seemed to pick up just about any task and learn it quickly and perform it with careful and practiced excellence. When he was still quite young, still a few years off from his hunting trial (where boys in his village became men), one of the village's elders approached him.
     This village elder was an outcast and rarely - if ever - was seen among the other elders of the village. Most in the small village claimed the man was insane, or had lost his mind and memory long ago. The old man asked of Ahltair just a simple favor, to bring water to his home from the well in the village and water his garden. Ahltair - a child who never got along with the other children because they all considered him 'weird' decided to accept the task and help the old man. The elder observed Ahltair for the first week or so, then after he began to walk with Ahltair into the village, as well as stand outside by the garden and talk with the boy.
     The elder was not insane, nor had he lost any of his memory... it was just a curtain - hiding his true identity. He was an elemental, one who had lived a very long time - hiding far from Queen Saryana's forces all of his life. He began to share stories of Saryana's early days as Queen - when she was just and honorable. And he shared too her slow fall into decay and corruption. The old man shared every ounce of knowledge he could with Ahltair over the next several years. It wasn't until the day of Ahltair's 'Hunting Trial' that the old man was finally found out - likely because he had been overheard in the town sharing stories about things that were forbidden by law in all the lands of Glavnon.
     When Ahltair had returned to the village form his trial he had found it completely and utterly destroyed. Every building burned to the ground, every person executed - their bodies piled in the burning husk of what once was the town square. A separate pile was made of all the young boys - the Queen's hunters had been searching for him. That was when Ahltair left it all behind - a burning seed for vengeance planted in his heart. He took to the wilderness for several years, living off the land and further developing and applying the knowledge the old man had taught him - forbidden knowledge. Ahltair could physically commune with the four elements... though he could exert no willpower over them. He was not a chosen one.
     Not too many months ago, Ahltair had heard rumor of a rebellion against the Queen forming - and the same night he had a vision of all four elements present and flowing together, pressing back against a dark tide. He understood his calling then and ever since has been an active - though quiet - part of the rebellion, seeking out new elementals before the Queen's hunters found them. To date he has been largely unsuccessful, having discovered many dead - and only one alive: Nouvie - of the Wind.
     Through merit of his own skills, and also by fortune of her raw and undeveloped powers - they have managed to evade the hunters thus far. Moving from place to place, training; while also seeking out the source of any rumors of other elementals. Ones who may join them in their cause against Saryana's wicked tyranny and consumption of the kingdom's life-force itself.

Strengths:
     Ahltair is extremely knowledgeable in living off the land, well versed in hunting both with blade and spear. He is also quite adept with small blades, mostly knives and daggers (the type one might use for hunting), and has deadly accuracy with them. His knowledge and understanding of the elements makes him considerably more formidably than a common soldier. His knowledge of the wind and weather makes him a lethal marksman - both with long range bow, as well as short range thrown blades and other projectiles. He understands the pattern of the wilds and the earth - and is quite adept at using them to keep hidden and evade pursuit from unwanted company.

Weaknesses:
     Ahltair's greatest weakness by far is his extreme hatred for the Queen, for her past transgressions, but mostly for her vicious slaughter of everything and everyone he every held dear. Even hearing about deeds of the Queen will put him in the red, and sighting her... well - if he ever did, he would likely be dead already; having ran straight to his own doom just at a chance to cut her down. Even the thought of doing so brings him a deep sense of satisfaction. He is also quite reclusive and un-trusting - which makes it difficult for anyone to seek him out in a time of need. Ahltair is also at a loss when it comes to understanding how cities and large cultures operate - even despite the knowledge that was passed on to him. He lacks most common social skills and is extremely uncomfortable when speaking to more than one person.

Veluux

Name: Roslyn 'Phoenix' Kindle
Affiliation/Title: Queen's Lead Huntress and Peity Enforcer
Physical Description: 5'7" 129lbs. Crimson Hair, Emerald eyes.

History:
     Roslyn was born a distant descendant of Queen Saryana's tribe; and being so, she paid great care to the histories of her people. As a very young child she was enthralled by the tales of Queen Saryana, both the literary and oral renditions of her heroic deeds. The Queen had been the red-head's hero during those young, formative years, and was held in very high regard by Roslyn. So she watched the woman carefully, admiring how she had the courage to lead, and the bravery to fight, and was also in pure awe of Saryana's elemental power.
     As a young orphan girl who idolized the Queen, she persistently worked at finding a way into the castle, eventually winning over one of the Queen's former bodyguards, who took her in and raised her after he had retired.  Her adoptive 'father' was deeply entranced by the Queen's beauty and power and loved her blindly - though he could never have her. Roslyn's mind became plagued with his amorous fantastical view of her, and eventually Saryana also became her obsession - though more as a role model. As a teenager she began to perfect the ways of sword-fighting and deception, with aspirations to become the Queen's personal bodyguard some day.
     That never ended up happening. Roslyn was so beautiful and had became so stubborn in all of her duties that she quickly flourished as a young hunter - never giving up on her prey and proving consistently capable at getting close enough for the kill on the most cautious of targets. She fights with two standard swords, though her style is unpredictable and mesmerizing and she will do just about anything to gain an advantage in battle.
     She earned the nickname 'Phoenix' after a particularly devilish deed of getting one of her targets to fall in love with her. The man had been too cautious for her to kill him, even in the throes of love... so she faked her own death. The night after the funeral she came to their bedchambers in the guise of her own confused and lost spirit and murdered the dumbfounded man.
     Roslyn eventually garnered a relatively well-respected position as the Queen's Lead Hunter - a title that when mentioned sends a shiver of pleasure down her spine. She makes an adequate leader - though isn't perfectly ideal. She is so bold and confident (perhaps too much) that she zealously takes on any and every task the queen appoints to her personally; making sure the task gets done. Although she is highly unstable and rarely grasps the big picture - she is too relentless and fierce for any of the other hunters to unseat her quiet yet. Any match for superiority she would have no qualms about ending the life of the opponent - even if it took her own death to make it happen. The other hunters fear her - not so much her battle prowess - but more her mental instability.
    The Queen's pet is the only one that does not answer to Roslyn, and Roslyn HATES him viciously for it. She would end the beings life - if it weren't for the fact that he was already dead. And Roslyn would also never attempt to cross her Queen's wishes by putting her own first. So far her hand has been stayed from the task, but no one is quite sure why.
     The red-head's personal hobby of hunting down and slaughtering citizen's that blasheme the Queen has also begun to slowly bleed off onto her fellow hunters. Perhaps they are just taking up her lead... but maybe... they are afraid the ginger might just finally lose it and turn on them for their lack of faith. Who knows?

Strengths:
     Roslyn is very beautiful and frequently uses her looks to seduce people into doing what she wants them to do - men and women alike. She is also a very keen swordsman and has a good knowledge of one on one combat tactics. She's a superb tracker and relentless, and she also has a fierce spirit that seems to make her stronger and sharper than she really should be.

Weaknesses:
     Roslyn's greatest weaknesses stem from her greatest strengths. She is far too stubborn and bold to take any advice from others - aside from the Queen herself. She is so exceedingly relentless and determined that she often gets herself into situations she cannot handle. It is only by pure chance that she has survived those encounters relatively unscathed; but they have made her even more blind to her short-comings.
     That being said, she is also completely oblivious to the Queen's flaws - Saryana sitting on such a high pedestal in her mind that hearing even the slightest negative comment is regarded as madness or blasphemy... Saryana's heroic deeds cemented themselves into Roslyn's mind and she is incapable of seeing evil in the Queen.
     She is also explosively (and near psychotically) emotional when it comes to praise or damning of the Queen's doings. One of Roslyn's personal hobbies is hunting down those who spread rumors about the Queen's wickedness - which is partly the reason that she is so useful to the Queen's inner circle. However, she is so emotionally unstable and unpredictable that she never has - and never will - be allowed into that circle... but the proximity she has already attained makes her content enough.

bubby

I'd still like at least two more female Rebels. Our wonderful men need some women to play deal with!

finewine

I'll be a rebel for you Bubbly.  This looks like great fun.  I'll try to get a character profile up within the next two days for you. 

I so look forward to this!

Heartsmiles,
FW

[tr][td]
O&O[/td]
[td]A&A[/td]
[td][/td]
[td][/td]
[td]
"There is always some madness in love,
 but also some reason in madness...
That which is done out of love
takes place beyond good and evil."
 -Friedrich Nietzsche
[/td][/tr][/table]

bubby

*Hugs!!!!!!!*

YAY! There is absolutely no hurry darlin', as at the moment some people aren't quite ready to truly start  yet anyway. But as a Rebel you'll definitely have others to play off of!

Look forward to what you come up with! If you have any questions PM me anytime.

bubby

UPDATE[/size]

Unfortunately, due to RL obligations my Fire Elemental had to back out, so I am seeking new applicants. THIS CHARACTER MUST BE MALE!

RipTide

Cyrano Johnson

I'd be game to try on the Fire Elemental. Could post some ideas tomorrow.
Artichoke the gorilla halibut! Freedom! Remember Bubba the Love Sponge!

Cyrano Johnson's ONs & OFFs
Cyrano Johnson's Apologies & Absences

bubby

Be sure to read the first page of this thread so you know what the game entails, and then check out here, https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=152778.0 (our IC thread) to make sure you know the story and what I'm expecting in a character.

If you're still interested after that, go ahead and PM me any ideas you have.

I'm still accepting applicants, this isn't a first come first serve basis!

Cyrano Johnson

Many thanks to bubby for accepting me as the new Fire Elemental. I've already posted his sheet over in the Character Thread, but for completism's sake I'll put it here as well:

The Fire Elemental
(delighted to be joining the game!)

(The DeviantArtist ~ofelia who made this image has a really good gallery, BTW.)

Name: Alazais of Cernon, a.k.a. "Bird"

Physical Description: A gaunt, sinewy youth with dusky skin, a wild tangle of dark greasy hair, large dark eyes and a ready grin. Handsome of feature under his accustomed coating of sweat and grime. Typically attired in a mish-mash of colourful rags and cast-offs, the two items he never parts with are his trusty dagger and a ragged length of red-dyed homespun cloth that he wears tied around his midsection underneath his outer clothing, almost like a prayer shawl.

Affiliation/Title: Associate and informal second-in-command of the "Quayside Almisters," a neighbourhood gang of beggars, thieves and pickpockets in the port city of Cernon. Fire Elemental.

History: A famine that devastated the ancestral province of Alazais' family forced them to follow swarms of other country folk into the cities of Glavnon when he was just a boy of six or seven. Hoping to find some prosperity in dock-work, Alazais' father gambled on the port city of Cernon -- where indeed he proved able to keep food in his family's mouths as a casual labourer, a line of work Alazais' elder brother had followed him into by the age of twelve. His mother supplemented the family income by work as a soothsayer and midwife, and Alazais himself ran the streets, sometimes as a beggar but more often experimenting at casual pickpocketing, burglarly and pranksterism with other boys from their Quayside neighbourhood. His father disapproved of this behaviour -- and in particular of Alazais' enjoyment of the comedic effects of stolen fireworks on crowded public spaces -- but grudgingly tolerated it for the sake of the occasional coins the young boy's exploits brought to the family purse. Every sou was needed; for a poor family, complete uprightness and propriety were luxuries of more prosperous times.

Six years ago, though, it all changed. The times had grown steadily harder, the price of bread going up, riots sweeping repeatedly through the marketplaces, foreign commerce growing sparser and sparser and the demand for casual labourers steadily drying up. Hostilities and feuds begun to multiply among the indigent families of Quayside, drunkenness and despair running riot amongst the men, vicious gossip and petty plotting eating away at the wives. As more and more women turned, to their shame and that of their menfolk, to the last resort of prostitution, envious eyes burned into those wives who even in such hard times were able to keep their virtue. Like Alazais' midwife and soothsayer mother. Voices began to whisper, hard stares to follow her everywhere she went.

Isn't she really a sorceress? some of the gossips said. She'd better keep a sharp eye out. Her Majesty don't brook no rivals.

Keeping a sharp tongue out is what she's doing, others replied. Got opinions about everyone and everything. Thinks she's better than us. That whole family does.

I heard she's really one of them Rebels, other voices embroidered eagerly. Keeps truck with demons, so they say. Says the foul things will make her powerful, prophecies Her Majesty's downfall to them what'll listen.

"Keeps truck with"? exclaimed yet others. You mean "whores herself to"! That's what she does! I known someone who heard it straight from one of their neighbours! All manner of racket from that poor little shack! On her back with her legs spread and a different fiend between them every night, her husband watching on and all!

A low thing, would come the answering mutters, heads shaking. Whoring for sailors and soldiers is bad enough... but doing it for the powers of Darkness... what an awful thing. And all to be able to pretend virtue and hightiness out in the light... what an irony!

One can't help but pity those boys, another might murmur. Those poor boys. They're sweet enough and all.

Hah! others would rejoin. Sweet as rot on a pork rind! That younger one damned near burned down three stalls in the fish market a fortnight ago! Probably got on his mum by some mischief-demon, mark my words!

And so it would go, the rumours swirling thicker and more poisonous by the day. But Alazais lived out his life, oblivious, chasing through the streets with the gang of thieves and beggars that had already been nicknamed the Quayside Almisters. Rough and tumble as his world was, he never dreamed of the malice brewing in his neighbourhood against his family, against his mother. He never knew that someone had eventually denounced his mother as a Rebel sympathizer and occultist; when he came back from his adventures in the streets one day -- after a particularly satisfying fireworks prank played on a procession of holy men -- and found the Queen's Hunters rousting his family in chains from their burning shack, he'd thought it was on account of what he'd just done.

He'd been on the point of rushing forward to try to explain to the hard-eyed Hunters, try to get them to take him instead of them, to tell them his family was innocent... but a last, desperate look of warning from his brother froze him in his tracks, trapped his voice in his throat. It was as if he'd been cast in wax as he watched his family led away. When Alazais finally moved again, it was to dart forward into that smouldering shack, finally emerging -- covered in soot and almost miraculously unburned -- with a scrap of one of his mother's dresses.

The family were never seen or heard from again. No-one in the neighbourhood knows what happened to them, nor speaks of that day. Partly this is because there isn't much time for dwelling on the past; times are only getting harder. Alazais has since reinvented himself as "Bird," the name everyone now knows him by, a charming and hard-bitten cutthroat, burglar and ruffian, his ready wit and glib tongue covering for the hollow anguish that shows every once in a while through his eyes. The innocence of the Quayside Almisters' old escapades has faded. They've long since turned to pimping the girls who'd once accompanied them on their adventures, to luring in the unsuspecting marks before stabbing and robbing them, to breaking in to shops and storehouses and stealing whatever they can carry.

It can't go on forever. The Queen's troops care more about disloyalty than criminality, but eventually they'll stir themselves to roust the Almisters, and the thieves will wind up in the stocks or swinging from a gibbet. All of them know it, and as Quayside rots and each day grows bleaker, Bird seems more and more resigned to his fate. Still... once a while, he can be seen toying with that ragged length of red cloth rescued half a dozen years ago from the ashes of his childhood, his face pensive. As if thinking about, and hoping, for something more.

Strengths: Bird is nicknamed both for his light physique and for his extraordinary swiftness and agility, the way he has of fleeing from a pursuer with such tricky resourcefulness as to seem almost like he's "flying." Sinewy and tough, he's stronger than he looks, but his real assets are his dexterity, his wit, the glib charm and underlying ruthlessness he's learned over his years haunting the streets of Quayside, and his handiness with the trusty dagger that's sliced a few hamstrings, opened a few throats and deterred more than one would-be pederast in its day. He's a sure and nimble climber, a stealthy footpad, and can pick a lock or a pocket with the best of them.

Weaknesses: A child of the streets, Bird is -- to put it mildly -- lacking in the finer social graces. He's fascinated by women but has little experience with anything other than whores, and even that much is limited. The torment and trauma of his family's loss, and his own guilt over it, continues to eat at him, and notwithstanding the old adage "time heals all wounds" it's actually getting worse instead of better: he's plagued by horrible nightmares, and even more worryingly has developed a habit of sleepwalking, waking in strange places with no idea of how he's gotten there or what he's done. Despite his delinquent habits, he was never totally insensible of his father's ideas of decency, and a sense of shame and remorse at what he and his friends have become has driven him toward hopelessness and the taking of increasingly crazy risks.
Artichoke the gorilla halibut! Freedom! Remember Bubba the Love Sponge!

Cyrano Johnson's ONs & OFFs
Cyrano Johnson's Apologies & Absences