Pirates of Icaria - Take Three

Started by Sabby, April 09, 2008, 08:55:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sabby

Tried it once, and I wasn't the best GM. Poor player interaction broke it and made it too hectic. Second attempt, Bishrook took over as GM, but once again, things fell apart.

That was ages ago, and I want to try again. Sign up for a long term small group game :)

Icaria is a land of mostly ocean, broken into small continents and littering in islands. Very few masses of land are big enough to host more then a few cities, so the Icarians are people of the ocean. Pirates. Adventurers and plunderers, spending more time on their ships then on firm land.

Icarians are a winged race of humans, their wings white and beautiful, and many adept in the feilds of mystical powers. Magic has many names in the vast and multicultural land, and while it isn't a commonly flaunted thing, its hardly unheard of.

A young pirate springs his fathers ship from a crime boss's holding, using his new crew to continue his late fathers work. A city out in unchartered waters, far beyond the Known Waters, where other great empires and strange, horrific lands and beats may exist. It was lavish, made from only the finest crystal, platinum, diamond, gems, gold, silver... every inch of it is worth such wealth, and its builders greed and wealth is what sunk it, taking an entire island with it.

Legend says, when it sunk, some spires could still be seen above the water. Five in total. It was named Five Points. No Icarian was alive that long ago, and no Icarian has laid eyes on the sparkling utopia of wealth. But one claims he has... and he left his son the map.

With nothing but a fragment of crystal as their first clue, and a broken, barely functional map, they set out, ready to go into lands no man or woman of Icarian race has ever crossed before. The reward? Enough riches to buy the Known Sea's a million times over.

I want it to work this time. Need commitment for a long running free form game, and player interaction :) magic, swashbuckling angels.

Oliander

This is going to revolve around a small crew traveling on a boat, yes? I do like enclosed RP settings.

I'm up for it.

Sabby

I already know your capable :) so your in. Did you have any questions?

Oliander

I'm wondering a little about the nature of magic in this universe.

Hunter

Someone's got to drive the ship.  (So...why not?)   ;D

Sabby

I hope everyone understands if I run the questionaire by them. Because honestly, I haven't read a thing of your work Hunter, so I got nothing to go by. Do you think you can handle this? It will be long running, and needs devoted players. The reason the last two f'ed up was because I just started with the first four offers.

Please don't take offense. Just wanna know how you roll XD

And as for magic, we could go the old style fire/wind/lightning control, with pretty effects and summonings and other classics.

Oliander

So it's kind of like the bare bones 'Final Fantasy' set of magic? Elementals and avatars?

Sabby

Elementals and avatars? If you mean summoning little minions (appropriately - drowned skeletons, crab scouts, birds, squidlike creatures) then yes, but now that I think about it, that may not work so well...

So for now, leave it to classic styles like zapping, burning, gales and such, and we'll leave summons and everything else for debate.

As far as characters, last time we had an Icarian that had his wings badly broken and burnt, and could barely fly with the aid of metal frames like crutches for his wings. We had a voodoo girl who I think could use slight mind powers and magical persuasion, and all the classic rapier/pistol flamboyancy.

My guy had a highly adjustable gun and many different types of ammo, many needing him to quickly modify/strip/refit his weapon for the desired ammo.

Oliander

Fine by me. As for characters, I was thinking of taking up a farm boy that has decided to go and live a more exciting life, not really knowing exactly what he's getting into. I don't have the details yet, but I'm definitely feeling the quirky/naive/comedic angle on this one.

Sabby

Ok, we have 3 players (including me) if Hunter is 100% on this :) I was thinking of starting with a cryptic add that draws the crew in, and they hear of the map for Five Points, and must agree to help bust his dads ship out to come along on the journey. So, the first real task would be the covert stealing of the ship, which predictably goes wrong and turns into a brawl as they escape and fight off the debt sharks goons.

Would that work?

Oliander

Awesome. I sense antics will ensue.

SerpentKiss

Hope you'll at least give ma a trial as a fourth. Even though I haven't had a chance to express myself on the board properly in such a short period of time, I'm really looking for an interesting game and have an idea for a character already if you're interested Sabbat.

Hunter

I don't roll very well.  Not enough flab in the middle.   ;D

See link for a sample of my writing skillies.

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=13857.0

Sabby

Serpent - What the hell, welcome aboard :)

Hunter - I hate Neon Genesis, but that was great even at a glance.

So its -

Sabbat - Captain

Hunter - ???

Serpent - ???

Kuroi - ???

Oliander

Kuroi- Chef/fisherman and whatever other menial tasks he's asked to do. He's a push-over, but he's also good with an open flame and dead animals.

Sabby

So a Gopher then :)

Gopher this, gopher that

And to clarify, the game will flow much like the Star Wars KOTOR video game, if anyone wanted a reference. Travel to a hub which is where you'll find whatever clue/info/informant your looking for, so complication will arise, yada yada yada, move on

And to keep on track, we start in a dingo 'middle of no where' port town, run by a crime ring that has impounded the ship until its owners next of kin (me) pays off some rediculous debts, no doubt made up.

The only clue we have (beside the map, but its useless for now) is a fragment of crystal, with engraving on it.

Hunter

Pilot/Helmsman.  Someone has to drive.  And drive you all crazy.

Sabby

Kuroi - eager but inexperianced gopher (means 'go for')

Hunter - Navigator and takes the wheel?

Hunter

Quote from: Sabbat on April 10, 2008, 10:55:05 PM
Kuroi - eager but inexperianced gopher (means 'go for')

Hunter - Navigator and takes the wheel?

"I've got a firm grip on it, Captain.  Oh wait, that's the bar wench."  ;D

Sabby

Guessing you'll be the mandatory 'wench chaser' of any group

Hunter

Quote from: Sabbat on April 11, 2008, 12:40:19 AM
Guessing you'll be the mandatory 'wench chaser' of any group

It's a tough job but someone has to do it.  *tragic look*

SerpentKiss

Imagine someone so skilled a marksman, you could bet that he couldn't hit the eye of a dove at 100 paces, and his reply would be 'left or right?'. Now imagine that marksman could wait until the right moment, so it turned it's head, and he shot through one eye and out the other. Now imagine that same marksman if he had certain magical abilities, which meant he could pick and choose at will what type of shot he fired, whether it be fire, ice, arcane, or air.

Now imagine him aiming at you...

Sabby

Now imagine him on the crew.

If we can secure one or two female crew members, I'll start :) right now, four guys, so I'd like two players to play female pirates.

In the meantime, write up your characters. I don't need a form or something like that, so just write what I'd need.

Sabby

Ok, thought I should add a position for a GM for the fight scenes. Its described here.  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=14272.msg572444#new

Elohim

I might be willing to play,  if you don't mind a young woman trying to portray herself as a young man.  Probably play a military type character.