Way of the Wicked (System Game, Pathfinder, Adventure Path) -- CLOSED

Started by Anon315, May 27, 2014, 07:51:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anon315

Way of the Wicked
A Pathfinder system game for 4-6 evil people.

Guilty. You are a lawbreaker – the worst of the worst. Too dangerous to live amongst the good people of Talingarde, they dragged you in chains before a magistrate and condemned you. They sent you to the worst prison in the land and there they forever marked you. They held you down and branded you with a runic F. You are forsaken. You won’t be at Branderscar Prison for long. Branderscar is only a holding pen. In three days – justice comes. In three days – everything ends. What a pity. If only there was a way out of this stinking rat-hole. If only there was a way to escape. If only…

No. No one has ever escaped from Branderscar Prison. This is where your story ends.

For those of you unfamiliar with the campaign, I'll be providing brief bits to provide you with an  overview of what this game is/will be, why you might be interested, and what you can expect from the game, from me, and from your fellow players.

Rule 1: You will probably be evil. This does not mean you get to be utter dicks to eachother. Party cohesion is important, and if everyone is all maniacal and hellbent on destruction, the game probably won't get far. For this reason, lawful evil is the preferred alignment. Neutral Evil, Lawful Neutral, even True Neutral if you have a good enough story can work.

Rule 2: No amount of cajoling, begging, or threatening will cause me to change my mind. I'm a stubborn jerk. I'm also a fair stubborn jerk.

Rule 3: Those being out of the way, have fun. It's a game for Pete's sake, and you get to be evil and punish those goody-goodies who dared to imprison you for something that was fun! Prudes.

What I am looking for:
4-6 players, this will not be on a first come first serve basis because, well, that would only provide me with a party of people who got here first. I will have applications open for a little over a week, until June 5th at noonish Central time, USA.

Application Format Sample:
[b]Name:[/b] What do people call you? Turgid the Vile is probably not a great moniker.
[b]Sex:[/b] Yes Please! Just kidding. What parts have you?
[b]Race:[/b] Pick one! Under 20 RP, no custom anything. Alternate racial features? sure. Go nuts.
[b]Class:[/b] Any Paizo Material. No 3rd party. No psionics (as they are 3rd party). Advanced Class Guide Beta is fine.

[b]Background:[/b] What did you do to get sent to Branderscar? Are you a bad person, or just a misunderstood one?

[b]Personality:[/b] How do you act? How can I expect you to act?

[b]Sexual Preferences:[/b] The game isn't explicitly sexual but I don't plan on restricting your desires, so when I pick a party I hope to have some cohesion here as well.

[b]What I want from this game:[/b] Tell me! Granted this is an adventure path, but I will do my best to provide an enjoyable and customized experience.

Feel free to provide more, this is just a sample with basic formatting to get things started.

Now then! The thing about this campaign is that you will start, level 1 and (nearly) naked. Nothing on you. No gear. No holy symbol. No spellbook. You'll have your previously memorized spells if you didn't use any resisting arrest, but expect to have nothing. Gunslinger? Not really advised, dunno when you might get a gun. I could probably work that out though.

Character Generation:
Aside from the rules set forth above, and for clarity: No 3rd Party Material Is it any more or less broken than regular Pathfinder? Maybe not. Don't care. Also, no Synthesist Summoners. Most everything else is still up for grabs tough.

Stat Rolls: Stats will be rolled using a method outlined in the module (http://www.firemountaingames.com/Players_Guide.pdf) and will be done as follows: First, pick a stat. You get an 18 in it. Pick another stat. You get an 8 in it. You will then roll using the E dice bot. You will link said roll to me (38256). You will roll 4d10, adding 7 to each. These are your remaining stats. Now again, we want to have fun, so if you wind up with an average stat below 12 after this (on only dice rolls), I will fix this with you. No one wants to be 18/10/10/10/10/8.

HP Rolls: We're starting at level 1, but for all levels HP will be maxed. I will be trying to kill you. The whole country is trying to kill you.

Crime: Your crime will be a trait, and you can take 1 trait besides. No flaws are allowed, no drawbacks, no whatever. One trait. One crime. If you want to discuss a crime not in the book, talk to me. I'm pretty malleable on crimes as long as they provide a similar bonus to a crime in the guide.

Setting
Talingarde is the most virtuous, peaceful, noble nation in the world today. This land is ruled by King Markadian V called the Brave of House Darius. He has only one heir – the beautiful princess Bellinda. This benevolent monarchy is heavily intertwined with the Church of Mitra, the Shining Lord. You are from Talingarde. This is your home. You have lived here your entire life. And if they gave you half a chance, you would have your revenge on all of them.

Mitra, the so-called Shining Lord, is the god of the sun, bravery, honor, justice, charity and other such pusillanimous rubbish. The Church of Mitra is the preeminent religion of Talingarde these days. The Knights of the Alerion, the elite warriors of Talingarde, are a Mitran order. The monks of St. Macarius, who travel the land healing the sick and the helping the needy, are also a Mitran order. The House of Darius, the royal family of Talingarde, are devout followers of Mitra.

It wasn’t always this way. Before the Darians took over, Talingarde worshipped an entire pantheon of deities. Preeminent among those deities was Asmodeus, Prince of Hell, Lord of Ambition and Order. Now it is forbidden to worship Asmodeus. To do so is to be condemned. The Mitrans destroyed all the Asmodean temples and burned his books and priests. There are no followers of Asmodeus anymore in Talingarde – at least none you know of. Devout Mitrans will not say the name Asmodeus. He is simply “The Fallen” or “The Enemy”.

Characters:

Ghostwheel

Muse

Well, I don't normaly play evil games, but anything Anon runs is cool in my book.  :)
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Anon315

Well again, you don't have to be "evil" necessarily, there is space for neutral people if you're willing to... go with the evil party and commit many atrocities. But when I played this before, I was neutral. I was retributive. They wanted to kill me, so I believe that turnabout is fair play. But that's just one example. Otherwise, being evil is kind of easier.

Mnemaxa

......the changeling witch of strength or my summoner who calls up the Black Rock Shooter characters...

Decisions decisions....

The Well of my Dreams is Poisoned; I draw off the Poison, which becomes the Ink of my Authorship, the Paint upon my Brush.

Muse

*Smiles*  Actualy, I was thinking of a Cleric of Asmodeus.  :) 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

persephone325

This seems really interesting, as I'm trying to find Pathfinder based games on the forum.
This doesn't have to end in a fight, Buck.
It always ends in a fight.
You pulled me from the river. Why?
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

Mnemaxa

I'm going with summoner.  I rolled an extremely median set of stats but nothing that cannot be survived.

The Well of my Dreams is Poisoned; I draw off the Poison, which becomes the Ink of my Authorship, the Paint upon my Brush.

Anon315

It was pointed out to me that the PDF says something to the effect of "Everyone should get +2 skill point per level", and while that is a decent house rule, I worked it differently when I ran irl and I found this worked pretty well: Everyone basically gets the effect of the fast learner feat. You can grab any 2 favored class bonuses when you take a level. That means you can take +1 hp/+1 skill point,  or either one of those and an alternate class feature bonus your race/class combo provides.

Blinkin

I usually shy away from evil characters and games, but colored me interested.

Would the Swashbucker from the Advanced Class Guide work? Probably stuck someone in a duel that he shouldn't of, if that's a crime... I haven't looked at the material yet, but we'll see what happens.
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Absenses & Apologies (Updated 3/02/23)
Blinkins' Thinkin's (Story Ideas)
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

Mnemaxa

I didn't add any favored class bonuses to my character(s), and will make the appropriate adjustments in due course (both getting +1 hp & +1 sk point)

Quote from: Blinkin on May 28, 2014, 10:08:08 AM

I'm only allowed to play Lawful Evil.  I'm too good at the other sorts of evil (my foul-mouthed, hateful tiefling  with a 6 in charisma and a 22 intelligence was hilariously fun though - the party regularly cast Eagle's Splendor on her so she didn't cause negotiations to implode with her overbearing, boorish, crude, and spiteful vindictiveness). 

But 'evil' doesn't necessarily mean 'destructive to the party'.  My changeling summoner kind of needs help to survive at all, and thus became enamored of being able to call on help.  So she'll actually be an advocate of keeping party intact.  Strength in numbers, and focused destruction instead of chaos and random destruction.

CharlieSariel

So let's see...
1) Evil Character - Check
2) Pathfinder System - Check
3) Party I can hide behind co-ordinate efforts with - Check
4) Downsides.... downsides.... Nope, none found.

Holy moley am I interested!  I will be putting a character together for the weekend, and sending it your way Anon.

Current Posting Rate - Approximately 1 to 2 posts per week

Anon315

Quote from: Blinkin on May 28, 2014, 10:08:08 AM

Would the Swashbucker from the Advanced Class Guide work? Probably stuck someone in a duel that he shouldn't of, if that's a crime... I haven't looked at the material yet, but we'll see what happens.

Dueling unto death is a crime granting a +1 trait bonus to damage while flanking.

Swash works too.

Faeli

This is my interest.  There are many others like it, but this one is mine.

Anon315

Someone mentioned the PDF saying you can't reorder stats. The only stats locked in are your 18 and 8. The rest can move. (For instance, you roll 12 12 14 16, 12 could be cha and 16 con, long as they weren't your locked stats.

LisztesFerenc

I've put together a elvish magus, aiming for dervish dance. I hope it makes the cut. Hello everyone else.

Faeli

Name: Sindorathorai, but tends to go by Sydney
Sex: Female
Race: Elf (boring!)
Class: Witch

Background: Sydney originally hailed from the wartorn lands of Loren, but as orcish hordes invaded, pillaged, raped, and gorged themselves, the woman made the decision that digression was the better part of valor and that all those very shiny soldiers could very well have themselves a grand old time in battles and war, she would have none of it.

Instead, she choose to travel to the sleepy and peaceful lands of Talingarde, where the thread of imminent torture and death was decidedly less.  However, the woman soon discovered that, to her frustration, Talingarde was boring.  The people there were lazy, stupid, and dull.  Before too long, the elven lass decided that toiling about and scrapping together a living was far far too much work and involved far far too much interactions with the denizens.  Instead, she took advantage of the local populace's lack of magical resistance and, with the aid of basic enchantments, began moving through a dizzying string of friends, lovers, one-night stands, and other assorted flings.

It was the high-life for a time, until she tried to ply her trade on a young man who, unbeknownst to her, was a priest of Mitra and had sufficient mental strength to resist her mental encouragement.  Before she even quite realized what was occuring, she found herself stripped, chained, and carted off to Branderscar.

Personality: Sydney is lazy and entitled.  She has to be forced to respect someone, although she is good at disguising her disdain.  She does, however, know and understand her personal frailty and is very dependent on others to support her.  Now that she can't ensorcel their cooperation, she will go out of her way to make sure everyone likes her.

Sexual Preferences: Bisexual.  She tends to prefer to dominate females and be dominated by males.

What I want from this game:  Sydney wants to punish the order of Mitra, believing them to be at fault for ruining her fun.  She also has quite the sadistic streak towards her, though she will control it if her allies prove to disapprove.

As for me, the player?  Openness I guess.  I know this isn't explicitly a sexual game, but I'll just note you (or the other players) have an open license to use or abuse Sydney.  Sydney's player would enjoy it >_>

Stats:  At 2014-05-28 14:04:40, Sydney (uid: 49010) rolls: 41d10 Result: 241  ((I derped and rolled 41d10 and not 4d10, but the first four results are 8, 10, 7, and 3.  Sydney's high stat is Int, her low stat is Strength))

Would you like me to actually build her, or wait to see if I am selected?

Anon315

Up to you if you wanna build her. Won't help or hurt your chances. Apps look good so far. Will update list later.

Ershin

Way of the Wicked is super fun, I had a blast the last time a thread for it appeared on the board, though unfortunately it died some time ago. If not for the fact that no third party material was allowed I'd have loved to recreate my Psion from that game and... it looks as though my backup character wouldn't be able to be permitted either (it was a Synthesist Summoner, a cultist being possessed by a long dead fallen Paladin), but oh well. Rule 2 is a thing and I'll abide by it.

Now I need to think of what I want to play from level 1, a mounted summoner maybe (though she would have to be a small-sized race if I wanted to ride my Eidolon from the start)? The Magus is always fun... Maybe a Cleric or an Oracle? There's so many choices and so many thoughts for evil-aligned characters dancing through my head that I can't pin any single one down, good thing we have until the 5th.

Flaming

This could be interesting.
I have a LE Wizard ready, but I have seen a Witch has already been proposed so I can shift to a bard.

Faeli

I play witch as pure support, so I don't foresee a lot of overlap with Wizard

Mnemaxa

Quote from: Flaming on May 28, 2014, 03:05:31 PM
This could be interesting.
I have a LE Wizard ready, but I have seen a Witch has already been proposed so I can shift to a bard.

If you play it thematically different enough it won't matter.  I doubt there will be a conflict of characterization...

Blinkin

Quote from: Anon315 on May 28, 2014, 12:13:44 PM
Someone mentioned the PDF saying you can't reorder stats. The only stats locked in are your 18 and 8. The rest can move. (For instance, you roll 12 12 14 16, 12 could be cha and 16 con, long as they weren't your locked stats.

Locked stats? I couldn't get the PDF to open, so can someone explain that? Does the 18 and 8 have to go into specific attributes?
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Absenses & Apologies (Updated 3/02/23)
Blinkins' Thinkin's (Story Ideas)
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

Faeli

Quote from: Blinkin on May 28, 2014, 03:29:14 PM
Locked stats? I couldn't get the PDF to open, so can someone explain that? Does the 18 and 8 have to go into specific attributes?

Its in the first post, but every person will select one stat to be 18, and one stat to be 8.  They will then roll 4d10 and add 7 to each.  Those 4 values will become the remaining 4 stats, but the "locked" 8 and 18 cannot be changed.

Anon315

Right. Except by racial mods. Everyone is great and bad at something.they call it focus and foible.