SSL for added Privacy

Started by Cyclops, June 13, 2008, 02:04:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cyclops

I post things here that I don't really want intercepted, knowing what I do 'bout the net and how many here may use WiFi (as I do), public WiFi being what it is, cell network traffic being what it is when posting from a mobile.  Is there a way to use SSL?

The added layer would also add protection to usenames/passwords sent in the clear on a public wifi network or even a private network used in a hotel, or a dorm facility where hundreds of people are on the same network subnet and thus able to make creative use of packet sniffers.

Just a question.  Adding an "s" to http (https://), it throws an invalid domain error.  The domain doesn't match the cert.
Remember the words of the High Lord Mhoram...  "It takes strength to judge the weakness of others, I am not so mighty."

Vekseid

If someone wants to drop a few hundred for a cert...

Cyclops

Quote from: Vekseid on June 13, 2008, 03:48:04 AM
If someone wants to drop a few hundred for a cert...

Could do the same thing, if a private cert I suppose, but that is a good point - I forgot how much it cost for a cert.

Who is your hosting/domain provider?
Remember the words of the High Lord Mhoram...  "It takes strength to judge the weakness of others, I am not so mighty."

Vekseid

Acceleratedweb, though I'm thinking about moving.

If donations pick back up and people want it enough, I'll happily spring for one.

Moondazed

How much would it cost?  And how far from breaking even is E currently?
~*~ Sexual Orientation: bi ~*~ BDSM Orientation: switch ~*~ Ons and Offs ~*~ Active Stories ~*~

Moondazed

Is that not public information?
~*~ Sexual Orientation: bi ~*~ BDSM Orientation: switch ~*~ Ons and Offs ~*~ Active Stories ~*~

Vekseid

Sorry, missed this! Feel free to point me to threads. Elliquiy is doing a lot better than breaking even, though in terms of accounts it's still about $800 short of what I've spent on it. We're going to have to move to a dedicated server by the end of the year, however... which is quite a pretty penny, though it allows for lots of cool things.

Certificates cost between a few hundred and a few thousand a year, depending, but we really don't need them to be 'official', I just need to set up the secure part of the website (which is hopefully easier to do than I thought, will try to get to it shortly).

Moondazed

Good heavens, I thought you said it was about $200 a year as it is now?

Vekseid

Right now we're not paying for any certificate, and the secure site feature here seems to be disabled : /

I'll probably hold on this until we move to a dedicated host.

Moondazed

OK... but that didn't really answer my question :)

Vekseid

I have no idea where you got that figure from, so I'm not sure how to answer it :-p

Depending on type, a security certificate runs from $150 to $1,100 or so a year, I think Thawte would charge us $250 a year for one.

Running Elliquiy on a dedicated server will cost between $80 a month and ~$200 a month, depending on desired features, how much we want to invest in stability, and so on. Right now Elliquiy costs about $650 a year to run.

Moondazed

Cyclops

Quote from: Vekseid on July 02, 2008, 07:54:07 PM
Right now we're not paying for any certificate, and the secure site feature here seems to be disabled : /

I'll probably hold on this until we move to a dedicated host.

Well, on a linux server you can create your own cert.  It won't be signed by a root cert but that doesn't matter if you post the fingerprint of it.  The cert can be used by those on E who want to but those who want to can check the cert themselves to check the fingerprint.  Like using a PGP key and the web of trust kinda.

If you want any help there, let me know, I am not an expert but I am knowledgeable in computer security.

Vekseid

That's not the issue, the problem is the ssl directory can't be read by the webserver, I'll have to contact them to figure it out.

Cyclops

I just thought I'd offer. :)