Oxygen Not Included (PC Game)

Started by Trieste, December 04, 2017, 11:19:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trieste

So I am a huge fan of the games Don't Starve (and the multiplayer version, Don't Starve Together). I could spend weeks on end playing those games, to be honest. I recently was gifted Klei's new game, Oxygen Not Included, and I'm already in a love/hate relationship with it.

Has anyone else here played it? What do you think of it? What cycle have you managed to get to? What are the traits you love/hate in your Duplicants? Do you have a base layout you want to show off?

For myself, I've managed to make it all the way up to Cycle 30. I'm still playing with layouts, and right now I've been a usable ventilation system. I haven't even touched automation yet - I'm not even sure how in the world that's going to work.  :-X

Inkidu

I need to get back into that. I haven't played since the Agricultural update. I find feeding the little dupes to be more trouble than its worth but I did work out a perfect closed loop plumbing system one time because of a water geyser.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Trieste

I've only seen a geyser once and that was during a much-earlier game that I had to scrap before the 8th cycle. They produce heat and water, yeah?

Blythe

I have this game, too--I bought it just before the Automation update; haven't played it after that update.

I got quickly overwhelmed playing it, but that was just new player jitters. I didn't get very far, but one of the things I appreciated about the game was the way they handled oxygen distribution and disease--Klei has really put in attention to detail in with these things.

I'll have to pick it back up again soon, but was curious--any advice for a new player? :)

Inkidu

Quote from: Trieste on December 04, 2017, 11:26:22 PM
I've only seen a geyser once and that was during a much-earlier game that I had to scrap before the 8th cycle. They produce heat and water, yeah?
Yep. Sometimes (oftentimes at least when I played) they're frozen in ice biomes and have to be heated until they melt.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Trieste

I love that physics and physical properties are sooooo integral to the game. I just finally managed to get a little ventilation system going, and I'm working on plumbing (sounds so lame but there's got to be somewhere for the poop to go!) so I'm still really new.

I haven't implemented any of the automation yet, but I'm starting to see where that might be useful with different sensors and valves.

Quote from: Blythe on December 05, 2017, 11:40:51 AM
I'll have to pick it back up again soon, but was curious--any advice for a new player? :)

Don't be afraid to start over.  ::) I think my first four-five days of playing, I restarted like 90 hojillion times. I just now got to the point where my colony made it ... like 30 cycles?

I'm seriously hooked, though.

Inkidu

I'd give tips but I'm so far out of date on the versions I'll have to jump back in before I can give you anything good to go on.

Remiel

I love how you can make your people wash their hands after going to the bathroom.  I don't know why I find that so amusing, but I do.