News:

Main Menu

Avengers Assemble!

Started by RubySlippers, April 29, 2011, 07:51:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RubySlippers

http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/166761-the-avengers-start-of-production-press-release-a-first-photo

Avengers movie has begun production, now that is going to be awesome. Now what could be the threat so bad as to force these mighty heroes and heroines to assemble?

Brandon

It likely has something to do with the following picture taken at comic con 2010. This is supposed to be the infinity guantlet. What is that, well I dont really know beyond its a godlike weapon weilded by either an alien or interdemensional conquerer called Thanos

Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Morrowclaw

I say Galactus, that son of a gun is powerful.
Partly for the hell of it
Solely out of boredom
Mostly for the story

consortium11

Galactus is probably too tied to the Fantastic Four to be an Avengers bad guy... and if they go for the shared universe and include the FF movies in it then he's basically done.

If they wanted to stick to guys who have been Avengers (as opposed to individual members of the Avengers) foes then the only real option off the top of my head is Kang the Conqueror, put simply a time-travelling galactic warlord.

If they stick roughly to continuity from the comics then the Infinity Gauntlet is a gauntlet (duh...) which houses the 6 Infinity Gems, each of which contain an aspect of the universe: Time, Space, Mind, Soul, Reality, and Power. Thanos (the bad guy) is an evil genius (both scientific and tactical), physically powerful alien who is in love with death (as a personification in the Marvel universe) and desperately tries to win her approval (to limited success). For one of his plans he collected the six gems (variously tricking and outwitting the Cosmic level characters who possessed them), fashioned them into the gauntlet, became omnipotent, killed half the universe in an attempt to impress Death, beat basically all the Marvel humans before eventually losing the gauntlet to another near all powerful character Adam Warlock and disappearing for a while.

I'm not sure they could really stick that closely to the source material for a film... most of the actual Avengers are in many ways bit players (which is sort of to be expected when you put Captain America against someone who just wiped out haldf the universe...) and far too much time would have to be spent introducing new characters and dealing with Thanos getting the gems. An adaptation could work relatively easily but would lose much of the complexity of the comics.

Personally I'd like to see Avengers: Under Siege adapted... The Masters of Evil lay siege to the Avenger's Mansion, end up beating Hercules into a coma and in the end actually make Captain America cry. It's basically a stand-alone story, few of the new characters would require much backstory (a few lines or flashbacks should suffice) and most of the characters can be flipped in and out... Thor could easily replace Hercules for example, although they may struggle if they want to include the Hulk and some of the movie would have to be tied up in an "getting the team together to begin with" type scene.

In the comics the Avengers formed partly to combat the Hulk. Basing whatever plot they go with off that gives them an easy way to include the Hulk, give them a reason to form the team, get some fan-service in and bring in whichever bad guy they decide on into the plot (who of course would be manipulating the Hulk).

Pumpkin Seeds

They didn't get Edward Norton to come back as the Hulk.  I'm really disappointed by that.

Starlequin

If they start with trying to contain the Hulk, it'll probably end up being the Leader who's behind things. Or Loki, if Thor is involved. Obviously I haven't seen the Thor and Capt. America movies, so I don't know if their respective villains survive their first fights with their heroes,  but if they do, probably it'll end up being the council of evil, which would probably need a two part film to fit everything in.
You live for the fight when it's all that you've got.

Wyrd

I'm expecting the main villain to be Ultron. I just have a feeling
Ragtime Dandies!

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Pumpkin Seeds on April 29, 2011, 11:41:55 AM
They didn't get Edward Norton to come back as the Hulk.  I'm really disappointed by that.

Reason: M.O.N.E.Y same as why they are trimming folks off of each Iron Man movie.. trying to cut the money cost down and level of stars who can claim a piece of the pie.

Zakharra

Quote from: RubySlippers on April 29, 2011, 07:51:29 AM
http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/166761-the-avengers-start-of-production-press-release-a-first-photo

Avengers movie has begun production, now that is going to be awesome. Now what could be the threat so bad as to force these mighty heroes and heroines to assemble?

Girl Scouts. They want them to buy their cookies.

Now.

Brandon

Quote from: Pumpkin Seeds on April 29, 2011, 11:41:55 AM

Actually as I understand it Mr. Norton didnt want to be in the next Hulk movie. I can understand that, I mean think about how unhappy the twilight cast looked in the last moviel I wouldnt wish that on anyone
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Shjade

Quote from: consortium11 on April 29, 2011, 11:24:09 AMin the end actually make Captain America cry
Pfft. Who hasn't? Cap cries all the time. It's why he has that shield to hide behind.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Cold Heritage

The guy who played Loki's apparently coming back for the Avengers movie, so maybe he'll be the baddy.

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on April 29, 2011, 02:17:35 PM
Reason: M.O.N.E.Y same as why they are trimming folks off of each Iron Man movie.. trying to cut the money cost down and level of stars who can claim a piece of the pie.

Read somewhere the guy who played Rhodey in the first movie actually got paid more than RDJ.
Thank you, fellow Elliquiyan, and have a wonderful day.

Assallya

Cosmic cube.   'nuff said :)

I tell you, that's the big tie in between the Avengers and Captain America.  The last scene in Capt. America will feature the cube being locked away like the Ark form Raiders.

RubySlippers

Thanos

He used the infinity gauntlet there is no reason they won't power him down for the movie a few notches to make him a more fair challenge, for the entire SHIELD and Avenger Team when assembled.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Cold Heritage on May 01, 2011, 12:35:20 AM

Read somewhere the guy who played Rhodey in the first movie actually got paid more than RDJ.

Possibly true.. but why get rid of the DIRECTOR that made the first two Iron Man movies? Talk about shooting the money making machine.

Marcus

It will be interesting to see where they take the title and if they are successful into making it a multi-movie franchise.

Though they should have brought Ed Nort back to play the Hulk honestly, and picked someone different than Chris Evans to play the Capt in that standalone movie (which is another topic all in itself)

Still, I can't wait. I'm a superhero movie fanatic haha, can't get enough of it.

Assallya

I should probably point out that the Infinity Gauntlet on display was actually in Asgard's vault room where Odin keeps the universe's most potent weapons of mass destruction.

I'm not sure, but I think one of the other items there is the Eye of Agamatto :)

Wolfy

Considering what happens in the teaser after Thor,

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
I think it's a safe bet Loki will be involved.

Assallya

I figure there's a good chance that the movie will play out like Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes and I don't see why not.  The cartoon series did an excellent job.  Though, I was a bit surprised by their episodic structure.  Starting with the finale and doing a prequel for each character showing how they got to the finale was impressive and, for once, assumed that children aren't idiots.

Unfortunately, with only two hours to make the Avengers story happen.  It's going to be very tight.  Hopefully, by introducing the main characters in their own previous movies time can be better served to moving the overall plot.

It's a shame that they've not pushed more villains but that's a general marvel weakness.  In DC the villains are every bit as colourful as the heroes.  Marvel's, with some obvious notable exceptions, are more generic weekly foils.  I was hoping for Crimson Dynamo or A.I.M. in the second Iron Man so that he could be in the Avengers movie but that didn't happen.  As it stands, the only villains they have available to bring in are Loki and Red Skull.