Black Sails, Dark Water (Freeform, Pirate/Supernatural) [Recruitment]

Started by Kakihara, January 26, 2024, 08:05:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kakihara

Quote from: mainsnoires on January 30, 2024, 01:20:34 PMI'm onto making a csheet at this point, many characters look real good already ! I'd like to claim Tom Hardy for FC if possible.
Oh, almost missed this... got this and Natalie Dormer for Mediocre Author... I don't think I missed anyone else.  Need to remember to put up the characters already created on the list though.

FyreFoxx

I'm still working on something, but considering Valeria Rudenko as a face claim. Debating on her heritage, but thinking maybe Selkie or Undine. There is also a chance of Jinn, either for her or a second character. *eyes Shen*
 Current Status: CLOSED
 Den of Iniquity (O/O) Updated Aug 19, 2023
 What does the Foxx say? (A/A) Updated Oct 1, 2023
 Scrolls and Shinies (Story Cafe) Inactive

shengami

Quote from: FyreFoxx on January 30, 2024, 04:32:35 PMI'm still working on something, but considering Valeria Rudenko as a face claim. Debating on her heritage, but thinking maybe Selkie or Undine. There is also a chance of Jinn, either for her or a second character. *eyes Shen*
You do you Foxxy, just don't take forever. Haha.
Am I on the hunt for a story? - Not especially...
O/os
My General LFGs
Canon LFGs
My Poetry Thread

FyreFoxx

Kuroneko

I'm sorry, but I'm going to withdraw my interest. I can't find time to get all my work and course prep done each day, let alone write up a character sheet. 😒
Ons & Offs//Requests//Where is the Black Cat?
Current Posting Time - Once a Week or More

"One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art" ~ Oscar Wilde
"I dream of painting and then I paint my dream" ~ Vincent Van Gogh

Saric

Quote from: shengami on January 30, 2024, 01:30:44 AMI think the Mishipeshu is quite interesting here. Despite its origins being far, far north of the Caribbean, the association to water and the underworld are neat. Additionally, how you'd interpret that very unique appearance into characteristics for YC would be fun.

The other two are Cherokee/Southeeast origins, so closer. Could make connections through the Creek or Seminole tribes? Just playing with ideas. The Nun'Yunu'Wi seems less interesting to me. Mostly because it overlaps with Edward a bit to my mind, but the concept of a stone skinned magician is neat. How you work in the fear of menstruating women though.... and the gem heart? The Nunnehi seem the least specific and, thus, the most easy to work with. But seem also more associated to mountains than the ocean.

There's some thoughts. I adore when people use non-European lore, so kudos!
While the original Mishipeshu is far north there are apparently supposed sightings among numerous tribes over the whole north-east, combined with it's association with waterways and how western settlers moved about the early colonies I figured it wouldn't be too out of place. I've actually found a really neat humanoid pic for it and figured I could give it a human, humanoid, and monstrous form, water breathing, lighting and storm control that range from easy and minor to significant and exhausting, and the ability to command any non-sentient water creature and request things of the sentient ones. For recovery it would need to assume it's monstrous form and rest 'below the water', so I'd have it make a nest in the ship's bilge.

Pics

For the Nun'Yunu'Wi he looked human even with the skin of stone and I was more interested in how his 'cane' could change shape and guide him to what he desired. I figured I'd give it a similar ability as the compass in Pirates of the Caribbean while being able to shrink to a wand he could hide in his clothes or grow to a stone staff he could fight with or use as leverage or for pushing things. Beyond making him immune to most forms of harm short of being burned at the stake I wasn't really sure what else to give him as the stories just suggest he had other magics but not what they were. Recovery would require eating meat, with the meat of sentient creatures restoring more and faster with less. Did find a pic for a possible non-human form. As for the issue with menstruating women, one of the stories I found required them to be naked to affect him and had him get sick and then start coughing up blood before collapsing at the sight of the seventh one, who it was specified had just started so it's not clear if he collapsed after seven, or if it was her having just started that finished him, or if it was both. And beside all that it just immobilized him long enough for them to pile wood on him and burn him all night to actually do the killing. So I figured I'd make him weakened if he walked into the wrong room of a brothel and mostly just make him immune to most physical damage and only vulnerable to continuous exposure to fire or something like direct cannon fire. The gemstone heart is only really relevant if he dies, at which point it's not my problem. :P

Pic

The Nunnehi would be the weakest and simplest to convert I think, as while most lived under mountains or 'mounds', some lived under lakes, rivers, or ponds. So make them unaging, give them water breathing, limited invisibility, and some shapeshifting, at least enough to mimic other humans as there is a story of them defending a Cherokee town during the Civil War by appearing to be Confederate soldiers to trick Union troops into avoiding action and raiding elsewhere. I considered letting them shapeshift into animal forms as well but wasn't sure if that would be too strong for current in world magic. Not sure what to do for recovery since all the stories agree it was impossible to tell them apart from the people around them until they did something magical and they seem to have lived in magical 'Lodges' like a Fairy Hall, beneath their mounds or rivers, and I wasn't sure how to move a lodge to Nassau, much less how they would be able to leave the city for any amount of time. So the weakness and recovery are actually the hardest part of the idea.

Basically I think any of the ideas would make an interesting character to play, which is why picking just one is giving me so much trouble. But I'm fully aware I can't handle multiple characters and would burn out trying. That said I'd actually be happy if anyone else decided to run with whichever ideas I don't end up playing.

I'm also kind of dreading picking out an actual Face Claim as I suck at that part.
"I believe in dragons, good men, and other fantasy creatures." - Slovotsky's Law #42

“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”― Neil Gaiman, Coraline

“The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.” - Terry Pratchett (Rest in Peace, Master Storyteller)

shengami

Quote from: Saric on January 30, 2024, 06:44:46 PMWhile the original Mishipeshu is far north there are apparently supposed sightings among numerous tribes over the whole north-east, combined with it's association with waterways and how western settlers moved about the early colonies I figured it wouldn't be too out of place. I've actually found a really neat humanoid pic for it and figured I could give it a human, humanoid, and monstrous form, water breathing, lighting and storm control that range from easy and minor to significant and exhausting, and the ability to command any non-sentient water creature and request things of the sentient ones. For recovery it would need to assume it's monstrous form and rest 'below the water', so I'd have it make a nest in the ship's bilge.

Pics

For the Nun'Yunu'Wi he looked human even with the skin of stone and I was more interested in how his 'cane' could change shape and guide him to what he desired. I figured I'd give it a similar ability as the compass in Pirates of the Caribbean while being able to shrink to a wand he could hide in his clothes or grow to a stone staff he could fight with or use as leverage or for pushing things. Beyond making him immune to most forms of harm short of being burned at the stake I wasn't really sure what else to give him as the stories just suggest he had other magics but not what they were. Recovery would require eating meat, with the meat of sentient creatures restoring more and faster with less. Did find a pic for a possible non-human form. As for the issue with menstruating women, one of the stories I found required them to be naked to affect him and had him get sick and then start coughing up blood before collapsing at the sight of the seventh one, who it was specified had just started so it's not clear if he collapsed after seven, or if it was her having just started that finished him, or if it was both. And beside all that it just immobilized him long enough for them to pile wood on him and burn him all night to actually do the killing. So I figured I'd make him weakened if he walked into the wrong room of a brothel and mostly just make him immune to most physical damage and only vulnerable to continuous exposure to fire or something like direct cannon fire. The gemstone heart is only really relevant if he dies, at which point it's not my problem. :P

Pic

The Nunnehi would be the weakest and simplest to convert I think, as while most lived under mountains or 'mounds', some lived under lakes, rivers, or ponds. So make them unaging, give them water breathing, limited invisibility, and some shapeshifting, at least enough to mimic other humans as there is a story of them defending a Cherokee town during the Civil War by appearing to be Confederate soldiers to trick Union troops into avoiding action and raiding elsewhere. I considered letting them shapeshift into animal forms as well but wasn't sure if that would be too strong for current in world magic. Not sure what to do for recovery since all the stories agree it was impossible to tell them apart from the people around them until they did something magical and they seem to have lived in magical 'Lodges' like a Fairy Hall, beneath their mounds or rivers, and I wasn't sure how to move a lodge to Nassau, much less how they would be able to leave the city for any amount of time. So the weakness and recovery are actually the hardest part of the idea.

Basically I think any of the ideas would make an interesting character to play, which is why picking just one is giving me so much trouble. But I'm fully aware I can't handle multiple characters and would burn out trying. That said I'd actually be happy if anyone else decided to run with whichever ideas I don't end up playing.

I'm also kind of dreading picking out an actual Face Claim as I suck at that part.

Well, that doesn't help you make a choice. That's all focused on how to make the mythology work as a character. That version of the stone man seems OP by the way. Immune to anything but fire? Eh.

Have you considered the actual character's story yet? What happened to them while magic was low? Did they hibernate? Why full fae and not faeblooded?

But, most importantly, what is the story that you want to tell? What's the character. Not their power set.
O/os
My General LFGs
Canon LFGs
My Poetry Thread

FyreFoxx

@Kakihara 
So you had it stated in the OP that it was "the dawn of the 18th century" that fae and fairyblooded starting showing up. Am I reading that right? Or when would they make an appearance outside of folklore? Trying to figure out roughly how many years fae and fairyblooded would have been in the spotlight compared to present day.

Kakihara

Quote from: FyreFoxx on January 30, 2024, 07:53:15 PM@Kakihara
So you had it stated in the OP that it was "the dawn of the 18th century" that fae and fairyblooded starting showing up. Am I reading that right? Or when would they make an appearance outside of folklore? Trying to figure out roughly how many years fae and fairyblooded would have been in the spotlight compared to present day.
Well, nothing is absolute so there may have been one or two that began to appear in the wild places earlier with a trickle of magic but the major influx would have been about 1699 to lead into the 18th century. (It always screwed me up when a kid that the 'th century' is always off from the date. lol )  Sort of a gift of the millennium.  

So I'm ok if someone wants to have their character have emerged a little bit early but they would have been floundering in the dark since it was still low tide for everything.

FyreFoxx

Quote from: Kakihara on January 30, 2024, 08:00:27 PMWell, nothing is absolute so there may have been one or two that began to appear in the wild places earlier with a trickle of magic but the major influx would have been about 1699 to lead into the 18th century. (It always screwed me up when a kid that the 'th century' is always off from the date. lol )  Sort of a gift of the millennium. 

So I'm ok if someone wants to have their character have emerged a little bit early but they would have been floundering in the dark since it was still low tide for everything.
So we're looking at mostly about a 15-ish timespan since they were most active? Am I getting that right?

Saric

Quote from: shengami on January 30, 2024, 07:01:07 PMWell, that doesn't help you make a choice. That's all focused on how to make the mythology work as a character. That version of the stone man seems OP by the way. Immune to anything but fire? Eh.

Have you considered the actual character's story yet? What happened to them while magic was low? Did they hibernate? Why full fae and not faeblooded?

But, most importantly, what is the story that you want to tell? What's the character. Not their power set.
There's a lot of emphasis in the Myths about how all spears and arrows just bounced off the stone man without a scratch, and he's always killed by being covered with wood and burned all night to finish him off. So maybe guns could hurt him but not penetrate to kill, and maybe he could be drowned or smothered or other similar indirect methods? To say nothing of magic? Was kind of just a quick, off the cuff, translation of the mythology.

I generally make a character first and then develop a story around them. And I'm actually still debating between full fae and a faeblooded version of these characters.

All the characters start basically the same. The faeblooded are mixed blooded with the colonists and don't feel like they fit in, so they seek acceptance elsewhere. The fae, except for the stone man, have found colonist encroaching on their territory and, lacking the strength of old to drive them away, left to find new lairs as well as learn where these people are coming from and how to stop them. The colonies are all backed by different nations and driving off one would just let another take over, so the pirates who are at war with them all are the only force that might even slow them while the magic returns and they learn of this new world. The stone man consumes human livers to survive and full his power, so discovering that the livers of pigs can sustain him gives him a chance at long last to actually settle down and join a community rather then having to prey upon it, but only if he travels somewhere where they don't know his nature and there are plenty of pigs to feed on.

After that they all split. The water panther becomes a bosun, able to order barnacles and seaweed not to attach and foul a hull or able to ask dolphins to recover lost sailors or goods or a giant squid to pick up that severed mast and hold it in place until they can nail and lash it in place. Not to mention adjusting or redirecting storms at need.

The stone man uses his magic cane to act as a navigator who can lead you not only to certain islands or shore lines, but to an individual ship upon the sea! Possibly even a type of ship, such as "A lone ship with a cargo of gold or silver." Depends on how strong divination magic is, on the one hand he can't predict the future and can only guide to where the ship currently is, so gaining information would seem to require relatively little power compared to calling a storm or throwing fireballs or lightning bolts, on the other hand the cost of magic doesn't necessarily match how much it changes the natural world.

And finally the Nunnehi is a merchant as they can have one face be a legitimate businessman, and another be the fence who buys loot, and another the captain who carries the goods, and none of the faces have to be the same race or even the same gender while they change places while invisible so nobody can even spot them going into the same buildings at the same time. I considered a quartermaster at first, being able to pretend to come from other ships when buying or selling for better prices, but we've already got at least two of those so merchant seemed more open territory.

Again, none of this helps me pick just one which is why I wanted to get a feel for what other people would be interested in interacting with, since there's no point making a character for a sandbox game if everyone else ignores you to write with other people. :P
"I believe in dragons, good men, and other fantasy creatures." - Slovotsky's Law #42

“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”― Neil Gaiman, Coraline

“The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.” - Terry Pratchett (Rest in Peace, Master Storyteller)

Kakihara

Quote from: FyreFoxx on January 30, 2024, 08:07:15 PMSo we're looking at mostly about a 15-ish timespan since they were most active? Am I getting that right?

Correct.  

Timeless

Quote from: Hellion on January 30, 2024, 11:01:05 AMWow, that was a tragically beautiful backstory! Well done. I love her concept too!

Maybe our characters can already know one another? They're both, in a sense, wandering beings.

Awww! >3<!! Thank you so much, I'm really glad you like her backstory! I wanted to make it tragic and to explain why she can sometimes be cold and aloof.

I'm definitely okay with that, and had made some suggestions in the OOC thread.

Kakihara

Quote from: Kuroneko on January 30, 2024, 06:17:59 PMI'm sorry, but I'm going to withdraw my interest. I can't find time to get all my work and course prep done each day, let alone write up a character sheet. 😒
Sorry to see you go but hope works eases up for you a bit so you get some extra cat time at least. 

Mediocre Author

Can a Fairyblooded character have a tattoo which acts as their rune? 

Or does it need to be a stone or something?

Kakihara

Quote from: Mediocre Author on January 30, 2024, 10:40:56 PMCan a Fairyblooded character have a tattoo which acts as their rune?

Or does it need to be a stone or something?
Well, my original intention was for it to be inscribed on things to allow them to produce certain effects, something like the compass in Pirates of the Caribbean or like small clock work artifacts like the stuff out of Arabic fantasy or like Clash of the Titan's owl.  But, that said, nothing is ever set in stone and the concept of the tattoos does sound interesting, I wanted to give it some thought.

I think it is doable but with some caveats.  one, just like with the devices, it's not always on, it requires focus to push magic into them.  So you can't have like something that will automatically react.  And it does drain the magic a little faster, make them tired, since they are flowing it through their body.  And because of the nature of magic and the nature of tattoos, I feel like constant use would make the tattoos fade since in an accelerated process of what happens naturally, and therefor loose it's effectiveness.  So I'd say like after 10 or 15 uses the tattoo would need to be refreshed.  Though keep in mind the effects should be low power, no one should have like superman invulnerability. lol 

shengami

Quote from: Kakihara on January 31, 2024, 07:32:23 AMWell, my original intention was for it to be inscribed on things to allow them to produce certain effects, something like the compass in Pirates of the Caribbean or like small clock work artifacts like the stuff out of Arabic fantasy or like Clash of the Titan's owl.  But, that said, nothing is ever set in stone and the concept of the tattoos does sound interesting, I wanted to give it some thought.

I think it is doable but with some caveats.  one, just like with the devices, it's not always on, it requires focus to push magic into them.  So you can't have like something that will automatically react.  And it does drain the magic a little faster, make them tired, since they are flowing it through their body.  And because of the nature of magic and the nature of tattoos, I feel like constant use would make the tattoos fade since in an accelerated process of what happens naturally, and therefor loose it's effectiveness.  So I'd say like after 10 or 15 uses the tattoo would need to be refreshed.  Though keep in mind the effects should be low power, no one should have like superman invulnerability. lol
Interesting. I'll probably want/need to discuss how Edward binds things. He also has a tattoo, but I think that is not his 'rune' but something is bound into the design. The rune was used in making the tattoo.

But interesting. Interesting indeed.

I've put a list of things I wanted bound in my CS. Would any of that be impossible? I'm happy to scarp things and go back to the drawing boards.
O/os
My General LFGs
Canon LFGs
My Poetry Thread

Kakihara

Quote from: shengami on January 31, 2024, 07:45:17 AMInteresting. I'll probably want/need to discuss how Edward binds things. He also has a tattoo, but I think that is not his 'rune' but something is bound into the design. The rune was used in making the tattoo.

But interesting. Interesting indeed.

I've put a list of things I wanted bound in my CS. Would any of that be impossible? I'm happy to scarp things and go back to the drawing boards.
I think most would be possible other than 'A salamander bound into a length of rope that he weaves into his beard and which emits smoke.'  just because fiber is not a good option for imbedding the runes necessary.  Like you can't put it on clothes or rope.  The gun one since it's basically just replacing a flint, it wouldn't give it any effects, seems fine since it's effecting the moving part of the flint and steel.  I want to avoid magic guns that like are adding bullet effects and the like but something so minor I think works.

Mediocre Author

Quote from: Kakihara on January 31, 2024, 07:32:23 AMWell, my original intention was for it to be inscribed on things to allow them to produce certain effects, something like the compass in Pirates of the Caribbean or like small clock work artifacts like the stuff out of Arabic fantasy or like Clash of the Titan's owl.  But, that said, nothing is ever set in stone and the concept of the tattoos does sound interesting, I wanted to give it some thought.

I love it!

My plan is for my second character to be a secretly fairy-blooded captain who has a tattoo hidden beneath her right hand glove.

The only effect is that when she crosses swords with an enemy, the longer the fight progresses, the more unnaturally fatigued her opponent gets. It isn't immediate or even that noticable, but her technique is to fight very defensively until her enemy is worn out. Then she strikes with her unfair advantage.

A few hours after the fight, she feels similar fatigue, and she must rest and recuperate as well.
I plan on giving her a loyal NPC to act as her body-guard for the times when she is dead to the world.

I might give her other items with more traditional runes, but again, as she is hiding her fae ancestry, they would be small items with fairly minor effects.

shengami

Quote from: Kakihara on January 31, 2024, 07:52:34 AMI think most would be possible other than 'A salamander bound into a length of rope that he weaves into his beard and which emits smoke.'  just because fiber is not a good option for imbedding the runes necessary.  Like you can't put it on clothes or rope.  The gun one since it's basically just replacing a flint, it wouldn't give it any effects, seems fine since it's effecting the moving part of the flint and steel.  I want to avoid magic guns that like are adding bullet effects and the like but something so minor I think works.
Oh, I can adapt the rope to being talismans that he braids into the beard. Trying to recreate the thing Blackbeard was famed. An easy fix. Happy to play with the tropes.

No, I don't want a magic gun, just wanted to make his gun more reliable. Flintlocks notoriously misfired for a variety of reasons, but his misfires less often is all. haha.
O/os
My General LFGs
Canon LFGs
My Poetry Thread

Devilyn Sydhe

This idea has my curiosity as it includes one of my favorite FC even though I haven't actually seen the show.  If the FC and role are still available, and assuming I can put a cs together promptly, I would like to reserve Zach McGowan for the role of Charles Vane.  I would like to have him working as a captain in connection with a pirate lord unless Vane is required to be a pirate lord himself.  So much easier to do the robbing and pillaging without all the messy paperwork :P

Kakihara

Quote from: Devilyn Sydhe on January 31, 2024, 08:31:49 AMThis idea has my curiosity as it includes one of my favorite FC even though I haven't actually seen the show.  If the FC and role are still available, and assuming I can put a cs together promptly, I would like to reserve Zach McGowan for the role of Charles Vane.  I would like to have him working as a captain in connection with a pirate lord unless Vane is required to be a pirate lord himself.  So much easier to do the robbing and pillaging without all the messy paperwork :P
Well Charles Vane is already taken by me to be used as a NPC/GM PC as he is a Pirate Lord, but I'm not using the Zach McGowan face claim so if you want to make make a different character using that faceclaim, all would be good.

Devilyn Sydhe

That would work well, sorry for my confusion.  I was mainly connecting the fc to Vane because of the show, so an original char would be even better.

Mediocre Author

Quote from: Mediocre Author on January 31, 2024, 07:57:31 AMMy plan is for my second character to be a secretly fairy-blooded captain who has a tattoo hidden beneath her right hand glove.

The only effect is that when she crosses swords with an enemy, the longer the fight progresses, the more unnaturally fatigued her opponent gets. It isn't immediate or even that noticable, but her technique is to fight very defensively until her enemy is worn out. Then she strikes with her unfair advantage.

A few hours after the fight, she feels similar fatigue, and she must rest and recuperate as well.
I plan on giving her a loyal NPC to act as her body-guard for the times when she is dead to the world.

I might give her other items with more traditional runes, but again, as she is hiding her fae ancestry, they would be small items with fairly minor effects.
Will ↑↑this↑↑ be appropriate?

@Kakihara