What is wrong with this thing?

Started by Serephino, May 11, 2017, 05:48:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Serephino

Last week or so the video blinked out.  The screen went black for about 2 seconds.  It did it again several days later.  Then a few days ago it's hard to explain what the screen did.  The video was just all messed up and partly there.  Today I went to open my files and got a blue screen saying a problem had been encountered and the system needed to restart.  Only when it tried to do that I got a black screen that said there was no boot file.  I had to press the power button until it restarted again and then after a scan disk thing it finally booted up.

HairyHeretic

Hard drive failing? I got what I thought was a gfx issue just before mine died. Might be a good time to back up your important stuff.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

AmberStarfire

My first instinct is malware. I'd suggest running a few scans of your system to make sure it's clear.

Missy

Assume the worst then you'll be happy when it turns out to actually be not that bad - or glad you did.

Serephino

I scanned and it didn't find anything.  I think I will look for my flash drive and save my stuff.  We're thinking about how we're going to get me another computer.

NightLux

Quote from: Serephino on May 13, 2017, 06:03:01 PM
I scanned and it didn't find anything.  I think I will look for my flash drive and save my stuff.  We're thinking about how we're going to get me another computer.

Is this a laptop or a desktop?  One thing that came to mind is I wonder if the connections got a little loose.  Especially with the boot error.  Might be worth to check that.  Or, if you can, pull the HD out and see if you can get another computer to read it (I only suggest this since you said you scanned it).

But if not that it could be exactly what Hairy said, sounds like the drive is going bad.
[tr][td]
[/td][td]
RP Status: Seeking new partners
RL Status: Looking forward to my birthday!
Solo Status: 0 (due) / 3 (total)
In Development: 0
Group Due: 0 (due) / 0 (total)
[/td][/tr][/table]

Serephino

Looks like it was malware.  My roommate got me another computer, and took the laptop and did a factory reset.  Now there is no problem, and I apparently need a better anti virus program. 

Lilias

I recommend BitDefender, as well as regular Malwarebytes scans.
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI