Thundercats 2011 Trailer.

Started by Wolfy, July 04, 2011, 10:40:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wolfy

Thundercats (2011) - Official Trailer [HD]

Oh for the love of God, why does July 29th have to be so far away?!

Kunoichi

29th? o.o And here I was under the mistaken impression that it was coming out on the 15th...

NotoriusBEN

oh I know the feeling. My heart sank when they announced the 29th. the 80's show was awesome, but like most 80's western toons, it felt stilted and wooden at times. lets see what this one does. By the way, cant wait til they introduce Begali and Pantro.

Pantro will probably get a rabid cheering by the fandom like Yoda did in Episode 2 when he went monkey lightsaber on Dooku. /endgeek

Wolfy

WilyKit and WilyKat look cool..and even Snarf looks good. lol.

The 29th can't get here fast enough, damn it! D:...But Sadly I'll have to watch the 1 hour premier on Saturday, since I'll be working that Friday.

Oniya

Has anyone seen the fan-made 'live action' clip?  They took bits from movies like Thor, Chronicles of Riddick, Farscape, and Stargate, and stitched them together into a rather well-done faux-trailer.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Sabby

Theres only a few cartoons I've liked enough to watch a few seasons in, and any I try always end up getting held to the standards of either Justice League Unlimited, or X-Men Evolution. Thundercats I haven't tried, because I really don't mesh with the 80's period cartoons so well... they're just so jarring and campy :/

If this is a remake or a revamp, will definitely check it out.

Oniya

It's not a remake in the sense of taking the old story and updating it.  This is taking the characters from the original story and showing them in another time-frame (like the new Voltron series is taking place after the original Lions version while the original pilots are still alive).  In this case, the writers are exploring what happened before the events in the '80s series.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Kunoichi

No, I'm pretty sure it's a remake. ^^; It's what they've been calling it since day one, and it definitely doesn't seem to connect to the old series at any point at all.

Wolfy

Quote from: Oniya on July 05, 2011, 12:27:33 PM
It's not a remake in the sense of taking the old story and updating it.  This is taking the characters from the original story and showing them in another time-frame (like the new Voltron series is taking place after the original Lions version while the original pilots are still alive).  In this case, the writers are exploring what happened before the events in the '80s series.

Yeah, it actually is a remake.

Apparently, the story will focus on 2 planets at most, and is going to streamline the story from the original while also making it darker and edgier. (Such as *Gasp* Slavery? On third earth?! OH THE MORALITY!) and..stuff.

Fights to the Death and all that.

Darker and Edgier indeed..not that that's a bad thing.

A few things have changed, too, like Lion-O and Tygra being Brothers, with Tygra being the older brother. Lion-O, however, is the one to succeed the throne, so they have a sibling rivalry thing going on.

Sabby

So... its a dark gritty reboot. We're seriously guna be making dark gritty reboots for all the 80's action cartoons? Hell, I'll still watch the ones that interest me, but thats kind of worrying in the long run... it could get to the point where my future kids have no shows of their own, just reheated leftovers.

Wolfy

But when the reheated leftovers look and taste just as good (or better) than the original, do you really care?

Sabby

Immediately, no, in the long term, yes... its like if we didn't have Bioshock or Mass Effect, just sequels of Mario and Halo. That'd suck for me :/ nothing to tell my kids about, nothing thats my period.

VincentD

I am a huge T-cats fan so I am very happily down with this remake, I must admit!

Wolfy, I love your avatar greatly. ^_^
Shall I be your cultured monster, haughty fool or perhaps the savage demon hidden behind a pretty face is more to your wicked liking? Let us dance in sun drenched glades or battle in dark, lost mines...what to do, what to do? Flip a coin and close your eyes

This is my intro questionnaire post thing: Please don't hold it against me! ^_^

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=112304.0

NotoriusBEN

personally, I think its a step up in 80's cartoons if they get a bit of grit in their reboot.
Its like the cartoons are ''growing up'' with us.

I remember GI Joe with some of its huge battles and *everyone* survived. It just seemed odd that a covert organization
had as much pull and hardware as a developed European nation.

And I know a lot of you will roll eyes at Anime, but I think the Japanese influence is probably the best thing to happen to western animation. I remember around '89 or '90 when I saw my first episode of Robotech and just how ''FREAKING AWESOME'' it was to everything but Transformers. Later I saw Akira and my eight year old mind exploded from the awesome. :P

I mean shoot until the mid 90s you had some pretty campy toons and Western views treated cartoons as just kids stuff. The Japanese made it cool to like toons with grown up stories and grown up tastes.

SinfulAngel

I had absolutely no idea Cartoon Network was remaking Thunder Cats and I am now sooooooo excited for the end of the month to be here NOW!!!

Wolfy you are my hero as this is the best news of the cartoon world i've seen/heard in awhile.

Updated Unicorn 1/24/17
      Active stories ~ 5  Post time frame 1-5 days

Oniya

Quote from: NotoriusBEN on July 06, 2011, 04:42:57 AM
And I know a lot of you will roll eyes at Anime, but I think the Japanese influence is probably the best thing to happen to western animation. I remember around '89 or '90 when I saw my first episode of Robotech and just how ''FREAKING AWESOME'' it was to everything but Transformers. Later I saw Akira and my eight year old mind exploded from the awesome. :P

In my personal cartoon history, I blame Speed Racer for blowing my mind.  So yes, there's the Japanese connection there, too.

(Seriously?  Akira at age 8?)

NotoriusBEN

oh dont get me wrong, oniya. my parents had a s**t-fit when they found the box. kinda weird though >.> they didnt really care what I watched, but some things pushed buttons I guess. Shoot, I remember watching Rambo III regligiously and Dad didnt care. They poo-pooed Heavy Metal (understandibly) when I got older. Maybe it was just that Akira was so 'out there' or they didnt watch it first or something I dunno.

parents are weird, but Im in my late 20's now so I dont have to listen to them much about my personal tastes anymore.
(didnt care in my teens either, but we all had to be discreet at that age) :P

Kunoichi

...Huh.  I wasn't aware that they'd made a Rambo III...

Stupid AMC, only showing the first two movies. >>;

NotoriusBEN

thread hijacking aside, they've made a Rambo 4 as well.

First Blood was in western washington. He was a vagrant that went ballistic when some dirty cops roughed him up.
Rambo II had him back in Laos and Cambodia to rescue some POWs that'd been there since the end of Vietnam.
Rambo III he rescues Col. Campbell from the Russians and he helps the Afghanis fight their guerilla war with the Russians (I know wtf right?)
Rambo IV he is back in Laos and Cambodia as a guide for some missionaries that want to help the people, but its like Injuns and Cowboys. There is little law beyond the gun. I sum this up as 'Rambo vs. the Brown People, Grindhouse-Style'. Seriously he f**ks em up hardcore. Like pick a dude up for a choke slam, but rips his throat out bare-handed, instead.

There have been... talks... of Rambo V. Where he goes up against something like a Predator.... yea... I stopped listening after that rumer too.

anyway, back to Thunda Catz woo! Cheetara! No one spins around the pole like you do! (haha double enteandre)

Kunoichi

Rambo vs. Predator?

I'd watch it. :P

Ahhhh, Tygra. <3

NotoriusBEN

You like his expertise with the whip, dontcha?  ^-^

Kunoichi

Yes, and there's also the fact that he's the only Thundercat with a gun. :P

NotoriusBEN

Jag

I remember a VH1 show called 'I Love the 80s' and someone on there commented that "if all animals looked like Cheetara, then bestiality wouldn't be frowned on"...that always makes me chuckle a little.

Anyway, I'm usually happy for reboots/remakes of shows. It's interesting to see what they are going to do with the story.
Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

Sabby

I'm probably the last person to have any say in remakes/reboots... I've gone through all 19 seasons of Power Rangers, which for the most part is pretty formulaic, and my knee jerk reaction to dark revamping is "Wow, cool!" I only start to change my opinion after I've read a few comments along the lines of "Wow, that's what the setting needed... Jamaican med-school-drop-out Baraka"

Wolfy

Quote from: Sabby on July 06, 2011, 01:30:22 AM
Immediately, no, in the long term, yes... its like if we didn't have Bioshock or Mass Effect, just sequels of Mario and Halo. That'd suck for me :/ nothing to tell my kids about, nothing thats my period.

Oh sabby, you don't have a period anyway.

Did you forget your Gender, love? ;D

*Flees from booing crowd*

NotoriusBEN

/face fault

his period as in his 'time' when he was a kid, his generation, that type of period.

Wolfy

Quote from: NotoriusBEN on July 08, 2011, 01:23:58 AM
/face fault

his period as in his 'time' when he was a kid, his generation, that type of period.

Joker: Oh Benny boy, it seems you just don't get the joke. *pulls out water pistol* I don't like that....

Sarena

OMG I seriously cannot wait until this starts! 
I can go from southern belle to ghetto thug faster than you can say "Bless your heart".

Kunoichi

>>

<<

...So, anyone want to watch nine minutes of assorted scenes from the first episode?  I have to admit, it looked quite good to me...

NotoriusBEN

D8 D8 D8

I... just... wow...
all those revamps are awesome. I was wondering about snarf... best thing they did was make him not talk.

i still cant get my jaw off the ground...
gonna be suffering lock jaw on the 29th when this show comes out and my jaw is on the floor for an hour.

Kunoichi

It certainly does look awesome. ^^ And I wholeheartedly agree with you about Snarf.  It's such an amazing improvement, just not being able to understand what he's saying...

NotoriusBEN

I think it was very well done. the little blighter can still be Lion-o's reminder, but... he's *adorable* now.
I wouldnt mind a plushie of the new snarf  :-[

Kunoichi

I rather liked the new designs on Wilykit and Wilykat, myself. ;D They were incredibly adorable, too...

Wolfy

I like the fact that Lion-O's father is voiced by the Original Lion-O voice actor.

Kunoichi

Yeah, and Larry Kenny has a suitably regal voice for the role, too. ^^

DudelRok

*cries* They turned Snarf into a pet... a Pokemon. From moral bringer and voice of reason to common house hold pet.

And they totally brutalized the other characters, too. Cheetara the whore. X| Panthro the even more racist than before, black panther. Liono the emo who wants to "Protect and Save everyone, even the beast men." Ugh... he's an angsty teen! I don't remember that from the original Thunder Cats, at all.

Why am I the only one who looks at this and goes "No! Stop raping my childhood!"

I mean, I will admit that some of it is neat.. but I think I'm having real trouble getting past the characters, here.

I AM THE RETURN!

DudelWiki | On/Off Thread | A/A Thread

NotoriusBEN

Dare to compare :P

Jet from Cowboy Bebop on left and supposedly new Panthro for CN's Thundercats.
I didnt even realize it but even the scar on the left eye is there, hah.

Just take it with a grain of salt, DRok. Its a revision of a popular show. I know that not everyone is going to be gungho about it, but personally, Im glad they are treating it with the attention it deserves. This animation is crisp and clean and they really are trying to bring out the essence of the characters, as well as putting their own spin on them.

Even just the 9minute leak, this show blows a lot of japanese cartoons out of the water. ESPECIALLY the collectible game shows like Pokemon, Yugioh, bay blades, I cant stand those shows with such toy traps involved. Its like a 30minute play-by-play of the game it pitches.

It may be your thing, but I am absolutely GLAD Snarf cant talk. He still has the moral-reasoning there in the 5 or 6 seconds he was tugging on Liono's cloak, and I can stomach that over him whining constantly and Teret'ing his own name.

Wolfy

But then..who teaches him to talk? Magic? lol.

Mumm-ra: "Argg, I have been defeated again! But the day is mine, Thundercats, for I have given your mascot the ability to speak! AHAHAHAHA"

Kunoichi

Quote from: DudelRok on July 12, 2011, 04:49:43 AM
Cheetara the whore. X|

Actually, she's apparently a Royal Guard.  Besides, it's not like she wasn't already oozing sex appeal in the original series. :P

Quote from: NotoriusBEN on July 12, 2011, 05:09:06 AM
ESPECIALLY the collectible game shows like Pokemon, Yugioh, bay blades, I cant stand those shows with such toy traps involved. Its like a 30minute play-by-play of the game it pitches.

In my experience, Beyblade typically has absolutely nothing in common with the toys it's trying to sell.  The anime basically takes an otherwise-unremarkable spinning battle top game and adds bizarre special attacks and magical spirit beasts into the equation.  It's a bit like DBZ, only with convenient arenas strewn about all over the place and nobody ever spends an entire episode just powering up. ^^;

Granted, it's still not really worth watching, especially since the hero of the latest series has no personality beyond being your typical shonen cliche...

DudelRok

I don't know. I'm just not... as excited as everyone else. I foresee horrible things. Horrible HORRIBLE things. X|

I AM THE RETURN!

DudelWiki | On/Off Thread | A/A Thread

Kunoichi

*shrugs*

Well, it sounds like you're at least willing to give the new series a chance, and if you end up not liking it, there's nothing forcing you to watch it...

Jag

For those that care, the channel Boomerang is showing a mini-marathon of the original Thundercats show today. Starts 12:00pm EST (which is right now) to 4:00pm EST.

*eye twitch*

Why were the original Thundercats nude in the beginning? I don't remember. It's a little creepy. They all look like Ken dolls.

Chris Brady

Quote from: DudelRok on July 12, 2011, 03:30:20 PM
I don't know. I'm just not... as excited as everyone else. I foresee horrible things. Horrible HORRIBLE things. X|
And they will be there, because your mind will make these 'horrible', 'horrible' things happen.

Personally, I LOVE the original series, but this?  This has a LOT of promise, and I'm liking it so far.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Hideyori

Well, I can already approve of three names in the voice cast. Corey Burton as Jaga, Will Friedle as Lion-O, and Clancy Brown as Grune the Destroyer? I'm ok with all of this. That said, my ears must've been on some kind of hallucinogen, because I could've sword Lion-O sounded like Josh Keaton.
Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mob say. Doesn't matter if the /whole country/ decides that something wrong, is something right. This nation was founded under one principle above all others - The requirement that we stand up for what we believe in, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the /whole world/ tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth and tell the whole world, "No. /You/ move."

Oniya

Quote from: Michi No Sora on July 16, 2011, 11:04:34 AM
For those that care, the channel Boomerang is showing a mini-marathon of the original Thundercats show today. Starts 12:00pm EST (which is right now) to 4:00pm EST.

*eye twitch*

Why were the original Thundercats nude in the beginning? I don't remember. It's a little creepy. They all look like Ken dolls.

The fur covers up any naughty bits?

Chris Brady

Quote from: Oniya on July 16, 2011, 12:11:07 PM
The fur covers up any naughty bits?
There were NO naughty bits.  Ever.  Kinda creepy.

Didn't the original Thundercats meet Mumm-Ra for the first time, in the original series?

It sounds to me this series isn't so much a 'reboot' as a flash forward to the future history of the T-Cats.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Oniya

I'm justifying here. ;D  Kind of like no one ever gets creeped out that Donald Duck and his nephews run around without pants.

Chris Brady

You might not be creeped out.

*Shudders*

Kunoichi

*shrugs*

At least they get into their clothes rather quickly...

Bayushi

I doubt I'll watch.

I've honestly been disappointed with every 80s cartoon remake except Transformers.

For example: GI Joe. Ugh, that was just bad.

Just have to see when they'll screw up Voltron, now. We all know it's coming.

Kunoichi

The GI Joe movie, or the new cartoon series that's on The Hub?  I agree that the movie was just awful, but I haven't seen the new cartoon series, so I don't know whether or not it is.

And Transformers has continuously had new series coming out for quite a while, so I don't really think it's had any sort of recent 'remake'...

Bayushi

Quote from: Kunoichi on July 16, 2011, 10:29:58 PMAnd Transformers has continuously had new series coming out for quite a while, so I don't really think it's had any sort of recent 'remake'...

I'm talking "Gen 1" transformers, the originals as seen in the US in the 80s.

I never did watch Beast Wars or the other TV series. I'm mostly referring to the feature films. Which reminds me, I need to scare up some money to go see the new movie.

Kunoichi

Yeah, but again, I'm not really sure the Bay movies count as a 'remake'. ^^; They're just another new series, albeit one on the big screen, rather than on your TV.  If anything, the new Transformers: Prime cartoon is probably the remake, what with Hasbro having it made because they wanted a 'prime' Transformers continuity that all the rest could be considered alternate universes of.

Ah, and another 80s cartoon that got a pretty good remake recently: My Little Pony.  That one's pretty awesome...

Wolfy

Quote from: Kunoichi on July 16, 2011, 10:58:28 PM
Yeah, but again, I'm not really sure the Bay movies count as a 'remake'. ^^; They're just another new series, albeit one on the big screen, rather than on your TV.  If anything, the new Transformers: Prime cartoon is probably the remake, what with Hasbro having it made because they wanted a 'prime' Transformers continuity that all the rest could be considered alternate universes of.

Ah, and another 80s cartoon that got a pretty good remake recently: My Little Pony.  That one's pretty awesome...

Wait wait wait wait....Transformers: Prime is the main universe, while everything that's come before it are the spin-offs/Alternate universes?

....That makes no damn sense and you know it. @_@

G1 is the main universe, damn it! D:

Kunoichi

xD I'm only repeating what I've read.  I make absolutely no claims as to its factual accuracy.  Though, I probably should have already mentioned that in a disclaimer...

Shjade

For the record, Beast Wars was awesome.

That is all.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Kunoichi

Oh, absolutely. ^^

Beast Machines, on the other hand... >>;

Hideyori

Hey, now. Beast Machines was alright. At least it wasn't...y'know. Robots In Disguise. Or Cybertron.
Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mob say. Doesn't matter if the /whole country/ decides that something wrong, is something right. This nation was founded under one principle above all others - The requirement that we stand up for what we believe in, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the /whole world/ tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth and tell the whole world, "No. /You/ move."

NotoriusBEN

yea... "in disguise" and "cybertron"... yea we dont talk about those.

How about "Animated"? The one with Isaac and Sari Sumdac and Capt. Fanzone? It was on CN a while ago.
I thought it was kinda cool and the 3 season run was short and sweet. Still a few loopholes to tie-up, but for the most part, pretty good.
I thought it was an interesting take on Optimus, being more of a rookie this time around compared to others as the knowing and fatherly commander.

Kunoichi

Yeah, and then there's the Japanese dub of Animated, which we also don't talk about... :P

But yeah, I really enjoyed Animated, myself. ^^ I kinda wish it hadn't ended so soon, but I guess Hasbro already had their own plans in the works during that third season...

Jag

The TMNT remake series in 2003 was good. Better than the original and a heck of a lot better than the live-action series. At least it was better till they did the whole 'Fast Forward' thing. Though looking at the voice cast for the 2012 reboot for TMNT has me losing hope in it.

Even though Batman Beyond is more of a continuity than a remake, I thought that was really good too.

Reboots aren't always bad...more so when the original material is kind of corny. I'm watching the original show for Thundercats right now, and honestly, it's not like they could do much worse with it.

Hideyori

Quote from: NotoriusBEN on July 17, 2011, 04:27:17 AM
yea... "in disguise" and "cybertron"... yea we dont talk about those.

How about "Animated"? The one with Isaac and Sari Sumdac and Capt. Fanzone? It was on CN a while ago.
I thought it was kinda cool and the 3 season run was short and sweet. Still a few loopholes to tie-up, but for the most part, pretty good.
I thought it was an interesting take on Optimus, being more of a rookie this time around compared to others as the knowing and fatherly commander.

I enjoyed the hell out of Animated. The designs weren't too out there, and the way they referenced/homaged previous Transformers canon (The Starscream clones being colored like other Seekers, use of G1 stock footage as "archival film", etc.) was done exceptionally well.

Oniya

Did anyone else think that Spike needed to be kept on a freakin' leash?

Wolfy

Quote from: Michi No Sora on July 17, 2011, 07:48:13 AM
The TMNT remake series in 2003 was good. Better than the original and a heck of a lot better than the live-action series. At least it was better till they did the whole 'Fast Forward' thing. Though looking at the voice cast for the 2012 reboot for TMNT has me losing hope in it.

Even though Batman Beyond is more of a continuity than a remake, I thought that was really good too.

Reboots aren't always bad...more so when the original material is kind of corny. I'm watching the original show for Thundercats right now, and honestly, it's not like they could do much worse with it.

Batman Beyond is a continuity, not a remake.

I think it's even had it's own canon comic book lines and everything.

You can even see a trace of it and Static Shock when watching Justice League Unlimited. ;D

Hideyori

Quote from: Wolfy on July 17, 2011, 09:34:28 PM
Batman Beyond is a continuity, not a remake.

I think it's even had it's own canon comic book lines and everything.

You can even see a trace of it and Static Shock when watching Justice League Unlimited. ;D
It did have its own comic series tied into the show, and as such, the DCAU as a whole. It seemed to me that Beyond got more exposure to the wider DCAU than Static Shock did.

Sabby

I remember that episode... Superman was stranded in the future, right? Where Bats was old, some skinny kid was his replacement, and a black guy with dreads flew around on a hoverboard because lighting can do that.

Kunoichi

Nah, your memory just smushed together the plots of two separate episodes, Sabby. ^^; The one with Batman Beyond and Static in it involved present-day Batman and Green Lantern ending up in the future after they chased a time thief there.

And it was more electromagnetism in general, rather than just lightning...

Oniya

That was the story arc where they met up with Jonah Hex, wasn't it?

The 'hoverboard' was actually supposed to be something like a sheet of Mylar that could be given a charge to repel it from the ground like a mag-lev train.

Hideyori

Quote from: Oniya on July 18, 2011, 12:35:16 AM
That was the story arc where they met up with Jonah Hex, wasn't it?
That, it was. It was part one of a two-parter. Because time travel.

Kunoichi

Oh yeah, that's right...  First they went back to the old west, and then they went to the future.

And at one point, John Stewart got replaced by Hal Jordan because history was changed...

NotoriusBEN

Oh yea! and Static was like, " Will you make up your mind who you are?!"

Sabby

Super powers annoy me lately xD thank you Infamous 2. Channeling electricity can totally throw things not made of metal and create propulsion.

Wolfy

Quote from: Sabby on July 18, 2011, 06:11:15 AM
Super powers annoy me lately xD thank you Infamous 2. Channeling electricity can totally throw things not made of metal and create propulsion.

Oh you...Static can control electricity, ergo, by extension he can control magnetism.

It's the same way that Magneto flies.

Hideyori

Quote from: Wolfy on July 18, 2011, 08:39:41 AM
Oh you...Static can control electricity, ergo, by extension he can control magnetism.

It's the same way that Magneto flies.
Which is still ten times less ridiculous than Magneto occasionally having telepathy.

Kunoichi

>>; Hmm.  I should probably be worried about the fact that I thought of a way to justify that, shouldn't I?

Oniya

Did it have to do with the fact that thoughts are formed by electrical impulses in the brain?

If so, then yes, be worried.  ;D

Hideyori

Quote from: Oniya on July 18, 2011, 09:31:52 PM
Did it have to do with the fact that thoughts are formed by electrical impulses in the brain?

Well, at least Magneto's never given his backstory the finger and led baseline humans into a gas chamber.

Oh, wait, never mind, that happened, too.

Kunoichi

Quote from: Oniya on July 18, 2011, 09:31:52 PM

Okay. .-.

:P

consortium11

Quote from: Hideyori on July 18, 2011, 10:06:54 PM
Well, at least Magneto's never given his backstory the finger and led baseline humans into a gas chamber.

Oh, wait, never mind, that happened, too.

Well technically it was one of the Xorn's as the Marvel editors desperately tried to retcon those events.

Which leaves Doom's utter betrayal of his backstory in Unthinkable even worse because it's still canon...

Oniya

Quote from: Kunoichi on July 18, 2011, 10:53:59 PM
Okay. .-.

:P

(You realize that to come up with my post, I would have had to come up with the same justification, right?)

Hideyori

Quote from: consortium11 on July 19, 2011, 02:36:39 PM
Well technically it was one of the Xorn's as the Marvel editors desperately tried to retcon those events.

Which leaves Doom's utter betrayal of his backstory in Unthinkable even worse because it's still canon...
And then there's One More Day. Also known by its alternate title, "Fuck you, Continuity! by Joe Quesada."

Kunoichi

Quote from: Oniya on July 19, 2011, 03:05:24 PM
(You realize that to come up with my post, I would have had to come up with the same justification, right?)

(Yes, hence the :P at the end.)

Jmorty33

Quote from: Kunoichi on July 18, 2011, 03:03:44 AM
And at one point, John Stewart got replaced by Hal Jordan because history was changed...

Was anybody else really pissed that the CN Justice League cartoons used John Stewart as the Leagues GL and not Hal and passing it off like John was the GL who was the charter member and not Hal. Also the fact that Hal only had one appearance in the entire show. Though it was cool that Kyle did make a cameo in the show.
Converted Mana Cost: 2 colorless 2 White 2 Red

+2 Target Player has writers block

+0 Target Player receives a post of two paragraphs or more.

-12 Player writes a novel.
THE BATTLE FOR ZENDIKAR IS HERE!!!!!

Hideyori

Quote from: Jmorty33 on July 20, 2011, 09:33:49 AM
Was anybody else really pissed that the CN Justice League cartoons used John Stewart as the Leagues GL and not Hal and passing it off like John was the GL who was the charter member and not Hal. Also the fact that Hal only had one appearance in the entire show. Though it was cool that Kyle did make a cameo in the show.
If I remember right, the staff felt that Stewart's personality, which was a little more abrasive than Rayner or Hal, was better suited in terms of potential drama.

Jmorty33

True John was a little more rough than Hal or Kyle, though not as much as Guy; but that doesn't give them the excuse of screwing with continuity. Thanks to that I had a ton of people tell me that they're using the wrong person for the Green Lantern movie and that it should be a black guy. Better suited for more drama? Dude Hal: watched the destruction of his whole city, became an evil entity and almost destroyed the Earth, freed himself and crawled his way back to being the greatest Lantern of all, and beat the shit out of The Blackest Night. As for Kyle he watched two of his girlfriends die, went through not being their for his mother while she was on her death bed, and went through the stress and drama of being both the last Green Lantern in the universe and being Ion. So I think they picked the wrong GL to use.

Hideyori

If you're referring to JL/JLU, I didn't think Rayner had actually /been/ Ion at that point, nor would it've made sense to cram the whole Emerald Twilight thing into a non-Lantern-centric cartoon.

Jmorty33

I'm not saying that those specific story arcs had to be in the shows but it was just to make a point that both Kyle and Hal could handle drama, probably better then John could

Kunoichi

...So, who's watching the series right now?

Jag

Kunoichi

Yay. ^^ So, got any impressions of the series thus far?  I thought the beginning got into the action a little too quickly, myself, but aside from that, I'm really enjoying it thus far.  Thundercat society is pretty interesting, and Snarf has been amazingly successful as comedy relief.

Jag

The cats seem more "We're better than you. We have the power. Piss off"...but hopefully that will change once things move along some more. They all just seem so damn cocky, except Lion-O and the twins.

Love the twin. Such cute, sneaky kittens!

I'm a little upset about Panthro.

Overall, I'll have to see the whole episode and likely a few more after to decide whether I really like it or not. It's pretty good so far. The story seems much more put together than the original. I like how Thundara is a city on Third Earth and that Mum-Ra is a known (even if some believe fake) evil rather than just someone they happen to run into.

EDIT: OMG! Mech armor! What the...?

Kunoichi

I like the way the lizards snuck in an infiltrating force, and they placed a bunch of beacons on high-value targets for artillery to lob missiles at. ^^ It was a nice tactical move, even if they have enough of a technological advantage to just blow the walls down.

Jag

Yeah, the cats do seem to have quite the disadvantage. I hope they explain how the lizards got and kept secret having that kind of technology.

Trojan Lizards. *snakes head* heh...

Also, I take back what I said about Panthro...and Jaga's Clerics = Awesome.

Jmorty33

I'm watching it right this minute. It is awesome!!!! A big bonus is that now Snarf is adorable and cudly rather than bitchy and annoying.

Kunoichi

...Wow.  I wonder how the last fifteen minutes are going to end...  Is Lion-O going to be on the run?

Jag

Nnnnn...scratch what I said about Panthro for a second time...still, it is seeming pretty awesome.

The story and characters seem more well put together. Snark is adorable. I want a plushie Snarf.

Jmorty33

Yeah most likely they'll be running since Mum-Ra has captured Thundera there is no place for them so the only action is to run. Maybe they'll find Panthro somewhere along the way.

Kunoichi

I'm guessing they'll pick up the kids next, myself.  We know they escaped during the battle, the only question is where they went...

Jmorty33

Yeah they'll get the kids next, though with Mum-Ra posing as Panthro does that mean he's actually dead? Who knows we'll all have to wait till next week! Same Cat time! Same Cat channel!

Oniya

Goddamn it - had company and missed it.   :'(

Jmorty33

I'm sure there'll be a rerun on tomorrow.

Kunoichi

*checks*

...Nope.  They're showing some stupid direct-to-cable Spy Kids movie.

Oniya

They might air it prior to the next episode.  That's what they did with the Voltron premier.

Kunoichi

Sorry, it doesn't look like they're doing that, either. ^^; Only showing episode 3, which is called 'Ramlak Rising'.

Looks like you'll need to use Youtube, Oniya.

NotoriusBEN

Omgod, I havent been jerked around like that in a long time. Everyone who saw the part with Lion-o blowing up the mechs knows what happened next. I was in utter disbelief until the reveal.

And awesome! I know Im a dude and such, but... I want a snarf plushie now >.>;;

Kunoichi

Everybody does. ;D New Snarf is awesome.

Jmorty33

Everybody does because of two things: one, he doesn't talk so he doesn't whine all the time and sound like a bitch. This time they replaced him with a cute little voice that only says snarf and other cute little noises. Two he is drawn this time on all fours instead of him constantly being up on two, this adds to the cuteness factor.

undisclosedtoyou

Okay, this coming from someone who knows nothing of the original Thundercats show, I liked it.  It was surprisingly good, and the story is interesting.  I'll definitely keep on watching it.
"Not all who wander are aimless.  Especially not those who seek truth beyond tradition, beyond definition, beyond the image."
O/O's ~ A/A's ~ Avi's

Jmorty33

Yeah, from someone who loved this show as a kid, I was surprised how far they deviated form the original story. What surprised me even more is how well they pulled it off, I thought that the voice portrayal was good. It was good to here Will Friedel's voice again, he did a good Lion-O. Also a nice cameo by Larry Kenny, the original Lion-O, as Claudius. The art style I thought was good, certainly a style I have yet to see. Though the action came a little faster than I had anticipated, but still all in all a good revival of this classic franchise.

Chris Brady

Quote from: Oniya on July 05, 2011, 12:27:33 PM
Actually, having now seen the first two episodes, it's taking place on Third Earth, and the Cat's won a battle against Mumm-ra.  So IF I'm remembering rightly, the original T-cats first met Mumm-ra on Third Earth.

So in a way, it's more like a sequel than a prequel with the old characters moved forward in the story.

[Edit]Actually, now that look at the episode, it's taking a lot of queues from the comic series that came out during the early 2000's.  A lot of things are direct parallels or just reinterpreted for TV.

Kunoichi

So, episode 3 is on now...

...Anybody else think that Lion-O kinda seems to have taken a complete 180 on personality this episode?

Jmorty33

Well his dad did just get brutally murdered by a for that was thought to be long gone. Plus he was betrayed by a trusted friend.

Jag

I think his personality change just has to do with what happened to him. It seems realistic for him to get snappy, frustrated, and upset after what just happened to his family and people. I think he'll mellow out again once things get going.

Kunoichi

Yeah, either that or Captain Nemo Fishguy is going to serve as an object lesson for him.

Interesting that the cook is apparently still planning on eating the kids, though...

Jag

I think Kat and Kit being eaten wouldn't hurt the story all that much. >.>

Jmorty33

But they now unkowingly outwitted the cook

Jag

...and there is the lesson of the story! (Lion-O caring about the crew, not the twins outwitting the cook)

Kunoichi

Actually I think the twins knew full well what the cook was planning.  Hence why they somehow managed to make him ice cream in the middle of a desert. >>;

...And Jaga's still alive. o.o I honestly wasn't expecting that...

Jag

Yeah, I was expecting Jaga to be dead too. Also, if he knew where the Book of Omens was, why didn't he tell Lion-O and gang? Wouldn't that make their job a whole lot easier and quicker if they knew where it was?

*shrugs* I'm sure all will be revealed in due time.

Jmorty33

Indeed so we will all have to wait until next week, Same Cat Time! Same Cat Channel!!

Kunoichi

Well, strictly speaking, he did give them directions before being apparently captured and tortured.  And technically, all that Mumm-ra's dark magic did was point in the same direction that he gave to Lion-O and company...

Wolfy

Cartoon Network is so f*cking stupid. :/

Seriously, they have the greatest show of all time...and they aren't showing f*cking reruns of it.

AT ALL

Which means because of work, I've missed not on the premier, but I'll also miss every. Single. Episode.

..FML. >_<

Jag

Do you have any way of recording it, Wolfy? DVR or VCR? Or maybe a friend that could DVR it or record it for you?

Chris Brady

Quote from: Wolfy on August 06, 2011, 07:32:13 PM
Cartoon Network is so f*cking stupid. :/

Seriously, they have the greatest show of all time...and they aren't showing f*cking reruns of it.

AT ALL

Which means because of work, I've missed not on the premier, but I'll also miss every. Single. Episode.

..FML. >_<
>.>

<.<

You can torrent it.  I don't have cable, and that's how I'm seeing it. Of course, I keep for like an hour of watching and then delete them.

Kunoichi

So, singing flower-people.

Well, I'm interested. ^^

Jag

Snark is just so freaking adorable.

Kunoichi

*missed the first three minutes of the episode, and thus whatever Snarf antics may have happened*

o.o Panthro!

NotoriusBEN

im suprised lion-o and crew asked who he was at the end.
panthro was mentioned as a family friend in the first episode >.>?
Even with the mumra mix-up, id remember who stabbed dad in the back.

Kunoichi

To be fair, it was pretty dark at the time.  The probably didn't see enough to identify him, and didn't put it together from seeing him fight with those nunchucks because they thought he was dead.

Anyone else guessing next week's episode is going to involve trust issues between Panthro and the rest of the group?

Chris Brady

NotoriusBEN

I think I have the plot frame for TC now...

Lion-o is brash in the first 15minutes, is shown the error of his ways in 5minutes, and learns a life lesson and defeated the baddy of the week in the last 10.

Still fun to watch, just a little... formulaic... that the show has followed the same framework for the 4 episodes to date >.>;;

Kunoichi

Eh.  It's still being more subtle about it than the original version, at least. ^^; Also, in this particular episode, Lion-O didn't so much learn a lesson as prove himself in Panthro's eyes (eye?).

The inside look at Mumm-ra's lair was pretty cool, though.  Interesting take on his sarcophagus.

Wolfy

Quote from: NotoriusBEN on August 19, 2011, 10:59:43 PM
I think I have the plot frame for TC now...

Lion-o is brash in the first 15minutes, is shown the error of his ways in 5minutes, and learns a life lesson and defeated the baddy of the week in the last 10.

Still fun to watch, just a little... formulaic... that the show has followed the same framework for the 4 episodes to date >.>;;

Wasn't it the same in the original?

Kunoichi

One theory I've heard being thrown around elsewhere is that there are only eight episodes this season, and as a result, the writing team is having to try and jam in as much as possible in the 30 minutes they have each episode.

If that's true, I honestly think they're doing a pretty good job of it...

Jag

Finally sitting down to watch last week's episode. I liked the look into Mumm-Ra's new lair. So much better than just a run down pyramid with dust and cobwebs everywhere. Though it does have me wondering about Mumm-Ra's origin. That pyramid is pretty high tech, even though it's nearly empty. I like his new sarcophagus too. It seems more like a high tech prison capsule than a resting place.

Kunoichi

Interestingly, the theories I've heard suggest that that's exactly what it is, and that the original Thundercats imprisoned him there at some point after the end of the series.

Jag

So...anyone else foresee a future fight between Lion-O and Tygra about Cheetara?

Also, good to know, somewhat, the origins of the Sword/Book and Mumm-Ra.

Chris Brady

Episode 7 was neat.  They changed the backstory A LOT.

Slaven

So, i remember the original version of this show and adored it. I'm a bit apprehensive to try the new and improved version. Is it as bad as most remakes or worth a gander?
Don't worry. That's not my breath on the back of your neck! >.>

Slaven's O/Os and some RP ideas!

Jag

Chris Brady

All I can say is:  Keep an open mind.  It's definitely more mature than the original.

I like it though.

TheAnimeFanGirl

The show is pretty awesome. Tygra is sexy. I want to see more of him.
Cid the Lilty ♥ Viraveth the Selkie

(PM me if you'd like to rp with me in instant messengers)

Characters I'd like others to rp as

Sensual Animation, my forum dedicated to the sensual side of animation. Feel free to join.