Classic Marvel Super Heroes [EX, kinda]

Started by TanaSilver, March 16, 2010, 11:44:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TanaSilver

This game is now full up.

I'm looking to launch a system super hero game using TSR's Classic Marvel system (the FASERIP one). I want to assemble a team of 3-5 heroes to go on a mission in a customized universe, so no canon characters. This would still be a four-color universe, but more realistic to some degree (i.e. grittier).

I am listing this as EX because the violence will likely be high, as well as character mortality. Adult situations are possible, but not the focus of the game.

If there is any interest, feel free to reply here or PM me.

Also, you don't need to know the system. I perform all the mechanics behind the scenes, so it's not necessary for you to know any of it. For creating a character in this case, you would describe what you want, and I would translate that into game terms.

Thanks, y'all!
O/O

Terian

I'm interested, is there anything you can tell us about the storyline so I can put a character together to go with it?

TanaSilver

I'm more approaching it from the other end: I want to see what kind of characters are proposed, then put them together as a team and come up with something for them to face.
O/O

RubySlippers

I'll play but save I want to randomly roll everything, real Marvel Superheroes save maybe selecting the type of hero like High tech Wonder or Mutant and go from there. The way it should be done and then mesh the hero.

And I think the rules are all available free on-line let me look around.

I love the system though so I'm interested just don't like megapowerful characters I favor The Mockingbird over Wolverine sort.

Terian

Fair enough then, I've got a battlesuit type character I've been toying around with, this might be a good chance to bring them up.

Give me a few hours to a day to do the writeup, I hope they'll meet your specifications.

RubySlippers

EDIT: Can't seem to download the rules from the link I found. :(

TanaSilver

Quote from: RubySlippers on March 16, 2010, 05:52:37 PM
I'll play but save I want to randomly roll everything, real Marvel Superheroes save maybe selecting the type of hero like High tech Wonder or Mutant and go from there. The way it should be done and then mesh the hero.

And I think the rules are all available free on-line let me look around.

I love the system though so I'm interested just don't like megapowerful characters I favor The Mockingbird over Wolverine sort.

That's fine, though the final character may receive some edits from me. The Ultimate Powers book is great, but you get some wacky results at times.
O/O

TanaSilver

Please keep in mind that this game is not a first come first served, but I will be picking among those interested to find the best mix of players. So, please don't spend hours whipping up a character only to get turned down later. A paragraph or two summary is great, specifics can be generated later.

FYI: the character I'm playing is a female scientist who can turn into a tougher version of herself, ala the Hulk without that much fury, although she does berserk out sometimes.
O/O

RubySlippers

I found thisitsgreatyou roll a number then go to the type of hero then BAMMO can create an instant hero or villian of that type. God am I getting lazy but its all legit and instant.  ;D

http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/xmanalb/MRPG_Character_Generator.html

Some people that make things like this must be uber-geeks. Yay uber-geeks!  ;D

Oops still under development in spots it seems but I rolled a normal human so its easy for me.

TanaSilver

O/O

TanaSilver

BTW, four people have expressed interest so far. I'm going to give it another day or so, and then pick 2-4 people.

Thanks for your interest!
O/O

Doomsday

Pick me, pick me! I love FASERIP :D

Throwing together a prototype sheet from Ruby's link...

Random mutant, Origin of Power: Maturity.

Powers: Hyperstrength, Gliding, Total Memory, Longevity. These are mostly random, I just weeded out some of the results so that it wasn't a total grab-bag of powers.
Talents: Repair/Tinkering, Martial Arts D, Biology, Military
Contacts: None
Weaknesses: Energy Depletion (sleepy!), which causes Power Negation (Not so glidy, memory, strengthy).

I'll do the actual FASERIP stats later, when I have the books d/l'd, because I need to refresh myself on the game.

TanaSilver

I was asked about the storyline earlier, and stated that I didn't have one other than this is set in the modern world, a custom four-color superheroes universe. I've been thinking about that, and I am leaning in two different directions at the moment. Those who are interested in playing, please chime in and let me know your preference. The two campaigns considered at present are:

• Modern world, as stated above. This is a custom world, no canon characters, but conceptually much like the Marvel or DC Universes. The only difference is a grittier atmosphere, more blood, gore, etc.

• What about setting this during World War II? Supers have appeared recently, and have become an active part of the war. I'm thinking of the team consisting of supers who have run afoul of the law somehow and are assembled for a desperate mission to earn their freedom, ala Kelly's Heroes, if you know that movie. Powers are still 4-color, so cover a wide scale.

Let me know what you think. The modern setting is still the default, but if everyone flips for the WWII setting, then we'd go for that.
O/O

Anathanasia

I'm mildly intrigued, as I'm and old school MSH fan. I even have the actual Ultimate Powers book too! Like in a real bound paperback book!

I don't mind that adult situations are possible but not central, that's a-okay, I'm just wondering a little about what is possible? SHiP type stuff? Rape? Please?  :-[

I would personally prefer for modern world. Historical settings are okay, and I could work with that, just stating my personal preferences. I can't work much of a concept without at least a general idea of setting, at least not beyond the numbers.

As far as general powers go, I'm open to ideas, got lots of old characters and even new concepts, so I'd be happy to fill in a 'role' the team needs, like if no one has created a brick, blaster, martial artist or what have you. I could at least submit something a little later, after other people are in, perhaps, if that would be okay. Balanced teams are good. :-)
A Special Craving: Rookie Cop has a Bad Day

My Cravings & Desires: Six Ideas in Search of a GM, Solo System RPs

Avatar provided with permission by the artist, Vaesark!

Doomsday

Well, since I just watched Band of Brothers, and since my guy has longevity and Military talents... I'm thinking he has been a part of a few wars, sort of like what Wolverine did, except my guy couldn't just rush into combat, take a few bullets and live to tell the tale.

Although yeah, something more modern would be nice.

TanaSilver

As far as adult situations, anything is possible, definitely rape, etc.
O/O

Terian

Okay,  character in a nutshell, Sarah Edinson, a young woman who was fairly sickly in her earlier days, but recently recovered somewhat due to the success of a radical new surgical technique--which consequently had some odd side effects--in particular, the miniature reactor used to power a lot of the bells and whistles is rather incredibly above what might be considered neccessary--and in fact, uses a lot of really odd principles that give it near limitless power output.  Something she's recently harnessed with a bit of Comic Book Super Technical Know-How, to join the whole superhero career, as the Cobalt Spark, an armored heroine with incredible speed and agility.

Basically, going with a battlesuit type character concept (As mentioned before) with powers leaning towards high speed agility and comparably 'Light' weapons and armor, at least by the common standards of the trope.  (There is, of course, going to be ranks of Body Armor and other staples of the genre, but not neccessarily the whole flight routine).

As for my preference, I'd prefer the first of the setting described, I don't generally have a lot of fun in WW2 RPs to be honest.

Anathanasia

Actually had a...i dunno, is there a word for suddenly remembering a character you barely got to play that you'd like to revisit? Anyways, this is the full write up, copy-pasted, sans numbers 'cause she ws originally done for Heroes Unlimited (modern setting, obviously, from the background). Bit of a Captain America analog without the shield and with a full willingness to use firearms. I don't want to step on Doomsday's concept toes, so please say so if you feel that way, Doomsday, okay?

Anyhoo, here she is, and it's long...  ::)

Description:
   Rachel Keyes is a tall and beautiful woman. While she was beautiful before the experiment that made her super-human, Rachel became truly stunning afterwards, if slightly unusual. The chemicals bleached her out, her sandy blonde hair turning to a delicate shade between cornsilk and platinum and her blue eyes lightening, yet somehow looking even more brilliantly blue than they did before. The most shocking thing, however, is her skin, which lost all pigmentation. If it weren't for her eyes, and that Rachel doesn't look
delicate, people might mistake Rachel for an albino with her stark white skin. Given her enhanced beauty, however, it all just serves to make her look more exotic. As a somewhat mixed blessing, the experiment also left Rachel without body hair. Besides the hair on her head and her eyebrows, there's not one hair anywhere on her body.
   Physically, she's near perfect now, barring specific tastes, of course. But scientifically speaking, Rachel's post-experiment body is almost completely symmetrical, something that keys into everyones sense of beauty. Rachel is tall and athletic, her body toned and lightly muscular in that way of someone who comes by their strength 'honestly', by doing, more than training. Her breasts are high and firm, and Rachel has even gone up a full cup since the experiment. Her bottom is taunt and gently rounded, just small but certainly not rounded. Rachel's legs are gorgeous, perfectly formed and toned, seemingly longer than before as well. It look like the entire three inches of height Rachel gained from the experiment went into her fantastic legs.

Height: 5'11"
   Weight: 142 lbs
   Measurements: 36C-25-34

In the guise most people meet her in, that of the US government sponsored 'super-hero'Athena, Rachel wears the form fitting not-exactly spandex costume designed for her. Designed with ties to the USMC in mind, Rachel's costume uses the marine dress blues colours. The costume is mainly blue, save the
arms, shoulder to gloves, and legs from about mid thigh, all of which are scarlet.
   The colour division on the top is triangular, running from the bottom of the collar, which is scarlet, down diagonally over her breasts to underneath her arms. The whole area above that cut is scarlet. covering her shoulers, collarbone and shoulderblades on the back, all the way down her arms to the gloves integrated in the design. Below that cut, the costume is blue over her entire torso, down her back and over her bottom and crotch. At mid-thigh the suit gets another splash of scarlet, a sharp, upwards pointing triangle on
the outer thigh that forms the top of the scarlet 'boots'. The 'boots' are smooth integrated right into the costume, save for that they are rather high-heeled (Rachel protested the high heels, even though they can be effective offensively, but the people in charge want her strong and feminine).
   Of course, symbols are also important. On the upper arms Rachel wears the eagle, globe and anchor of the Marine Corps, and just below that, the flag of the United States of America. On the collar, which is made like the standing collar of the male dress jacket, Rachel has her rank insgnia, the silver double bars of a captain. Finally, a single, small white star on her upper chest, a couple of inches below the collar.
   Rachel wears white ceramic gauntlets/bracers, though the finish makes them look metallic. Her fingers only covered to the first knuckle so as to not interfere with the operation of any weapons or any other fine manual dexterity needs, and the knuckles and back of the hand are desinged to reinforce her punching and protect her from damage. The bracers cover her wrist to elbow, and about 2/3 of the way around her forearms with the solid, high-tech ceramic armour. They are highly suitable for parrying.
   Finally, the last pieces of the costume are the white leather holsters and pouches strapped to each of Rachel's thighs. On the right she carries her sidearm, it's silencer, and a couple extra magazines. On the left is more a collection of varrying pouches to carry other small pieces of gear as well a sheathed KA-BAR combat knife.

When she's not dressed up in her super-suit, Rachel is most often found in uniform. Of late, that tends to be dress blues at some function or another, but sometimes when she's tasked to help her 'home' unit and that can find her back in field uniform with camo paint all over face and covered in dirt and dust. The latter is definately what Rachel prefers.

On what little downtime she is allowed, Rachel tends to dress practically for whatever she is doing, jeans for chores, sweats for working out, that sort of thing. When she's just doing nothing in particular, people are often surprised to learn the tough marine captain dresses pretty girly, favouring skirts and light dresses.

Background:
   Rachel Keyes grew up very commonly in small town America, oldest of four children. Her parents owned the local pharmacy/'general store', a nice position to have in a small town, prominent but not too much, never struggling but not rich.
   Rachel and her siblings had things pretty good, home life was without unfortunate trauma and the little town they lived in was far too small for much crime. Rachel was always athletic, strong, fast and fit, taking her highschool track team (and her school was in the next town) to the state finals all but one year, and also competed on the gymnastics team. She won some trophies here and there, and even had a shot at a couple athletic scholarships, but that wasn't the route Rachel wanted to take.
   Rachel wanted to see the world, at least some of it, and decided the best way would be entering the service straight after high-school. She struggled briefly with which branch, eventually narrowing it down to the Air Force or the Marines. Finally, she settled on the Marines since 'Every Marine is a Rifleman'. Even though women weren't allowed in the more exciting combat roles that appealed to Rachel the most, she felt that the fact that Marines teach the ground combat basics to everyone would give her a stong start should Congress ever change their minds and allow women into front line roles.
   She did well, going for officer training instead of enlisted. Even though Rachel wasn't the brightest the training officers noticed she didn't lack in the smarts, but almost more importantly for low level officers in the field, she's got decent charmisma which of course translates directly to leadership. Her trainers also noticed her own toughness, both mental and physical and Rachel proved capable of 'tough calls'.
   For a little over two years Rachel worked intelligence, and though it wasn't nearly as exciting as she'd wanted her military career to be, it's wasn't all that bad either. Kind of like solving big pieces of big puzzles at her level, but it still carried a sense of accomplishment when something major came of it. Then, shortly after her promotion to 1st Lieutenant, Congress changed it's previous rulings to allow women unrestricted access to all military roles excepting submarine service.
   Rachel jumped at the chance, immediately seeking reassignment to a marine infantry company. She got it, and served well as a strong, lead from the front and by example platoon commander. Rachel didn't stay there very long, though, not even a whole year, before she passed her qualifactions and got into selecton for a Marine Force Reconnaissance company. She passed, which makes Rachel officially, and proudly, the first female to serve in the USMC version of a "Special Operations Force".
   Things went well and she qualified on every course she took, from sniper training through airborne and SCUBA. Rachel was pretty much the model soldier and company-grade officer. All the operations she was involved in went well, even the ones that went a little sour because of bad intel or simple bad luck.
   Then there came a call for human test subjects for something the DoD was cooking up. They were looking at all the US Spec-Ops forces, since they would be the ones given first access to the new tech. In this case it was to be something of a 'regeneration shot', intended to give a brief but incredible boost to the human bodies natural ability to heal. The desired effect would get a badly injured soldier back on his feet at least enough to move and defend himself within five to ten minutes. Animal trials had gone well, but there was a fair bit of DNA technoligies involved, so serious testing on human subjects was needed to get it right. Seeing some good padding for her service record here, Rachel volounteered.
   For most subjects the results varied, but more or less successfully for the first human trials. Some people got ill, but no one died. In Rachel's case, and only Rachel's, the test was a complete success, and more. The shot didn't stop working on her, and even want so far as to completely repair old injuries, wiping away scars and any sign of the few bone breaks she's had. And then the repairs went deeper, altering her DNA slightly, smoothing out her skin, straightening and strengthening her bones, and 'fixing' those odd assymetries everyone has. The result was to make her even more beautiful, though it also 'bleached' her, leaving Rachel with pale blond hair, pale blue eyes, and white, white skin. And the ability to regenerate
remains.
   First they did more tests. Then they sent her back to her unit where it quickly became apparent that Rachel is physically far superior to most ordinary humans in every way. After some headscratching, the USMC, Department of the Navy and Department of Defence all decided that Rachel represented a great PR opportunity and yanked her from the 'ordinary' chain of command. This brought with it a promotion to Captain (not a big deal, she was almost 'due' as they say) and new standing orders.
   Now she operates as almost a free agent, still technically a Captain in a USMC Force Reconnaissance Company, and she still operates closely with the US military as she is still on the payroll as well as still an active marine. But Rachel is out there in a PR capacity, not recruiting, just being a good postergirl for the Marines and to an extent the United States of America proper. She's been at this for a short time, enough that some small taste of fame has reached her. But the program that created her needs more money to continue the research on what exactly happened with her. They need something big and positive, major PR so the politicos in Washington will pony up...
A Special Craving: Rookie Cop has a Bad Day

My Cravings & Desires: Six Ideas in Search of a GM, Solo System RPs

Avatar provided with permission by the artist, Vaesark!

TanaSilver

Based on feedback, we'll stay with the modern age setting.
O/O

Doomsday

Taking down my profile, Cogs wants us to keep em private :P

TanaSilver

I'll reply back to you through PM with some thoughts and changes.
O/O

TanaSilver

I'd like to thank everyone who showed interest in this. I've PM'd the players who were accepted. Thanks again, and good gaming to all!
O/O