US Court rules against FCC on net neutrality

Started by Thorn14, April 06, 2010, 02:14:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thorn14

http://digg.com/business_finance/US_court_rules_against_FCC_on_net_neutrality

That means net neutrality is dead. Enjoy your internet package looking like this in a short while.

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/4/2009/10/500x_netneut_01.jpg

I am scared shitless.

RubySlippers

Then use your free right to choose your options and find an internet provider you like. I know as a dial-up user I have many options large and small to opt into and told mine a year ago if you decide to control content I'll find another one, just provide the service and stay out of my affairs.

For you people on cable highspeed well your shit out of luck with fewer options. And with the government moving to put everyone on cable lines we should fight that since it will lower the number of providers and tighten up such power. Dial-Up is the way to go!

Thorn14

For someone like me, Dial-Up is simply out of the question. I need the speed.

And the "You are shit out of luck" is just what I cannot stand about this.

Sure, people say "Get another ISP provider if they do this" but for ALOT of people, there ARE no other options.

And if they are, they are just as bad!

Government regulation is the only thing that can prevent this (Hence why it is called NET NEUTRALITY).

I really fear for the internet. The only hope is that A) Somehow the companies dont do this (and with comcast throttling torrent speed, they will do this) B) Some underground ISP is made, and I get arrested.

RubySlippers

There are ways to boost Dial-Up and if people abandon high speed won't companies just have to adjust to the slower connectivity again like they used to or lose customers?

But you are out of luck your best bet is to contact yor company and tell them not to censor content or charge different rates or you will leave their service, but if all companies to this its going to be hard to try. I'm easy I have dozens and dozens of options and most Dial-Up is simple get me on the internet they don't do that much more. I do think my ISP has a high speed cable option so you might want to look around for small companies that don't have all the bells and whistles but focus on basic service. Add to that if you don't package this together it is likely also a bit cheaper if you shop around.

But there are other things like hackers creating programs to counter monitoring they seem rather clever at harassing the system and if they can do so in China the US should be easier in some ways.

Thorn14

Dial up still has its flaws.

I like having the internet on all the time (for downloads)

I like not missing phone calls.

I hate that sound dial-up makes.

And I doubt my ISP is going to give a flying fuck about what I think. There are millions of mindless drabble who will gladly pay for this shit.

This will be the 21st century prohibition, with people fighting the law to get underground internet.

Trieste

Ruby, I wish you would stop grandstanding. Just because you enjoy your own lifestyle does not mean everyone would, and I say that with the deepest possible affection.

For most US broadband customers, there are one, maybe two options. However, it would certainly take a bite out of their profits if a boycott were organized wherein everyone swapped to dialup for a month. Would it happen? Probably not.

However, you appear to have missed the part of your linked article that points out that the FCC is far from powerless in this, and chances are they will simply reclassify broadband services to be more heavily regulated. According to the article, Comcast may well have not just shot itself in the foot, but might well have blown its whole foot off. So Comcast may have forced the FCC's hand. Perhaps they expected the FCC to compromise, or have to wait for some time before they swung again, but the FCC is saying that it doesn't have the time to fuck around in the courts, and good on them for that.

Jude

There are a lot of applications that broadband dialup simply cannot do (EDIT:  thanks for pointing out my mistake Trieste), such as VOIP, internet gaming, and streaming media.  Thus, for many (hell, I'd argue most heavy internet users) dialup simply isn't an option.  No matter how you slice it, using it will make you spend more time to get the same internet content.  How is it a solution anyway?  Censorship and other tomfoolery (I always wanted to use that phrase) is still possible for dialup users.

I don't know if I'm a proponent of Network Neutrality exactly however.  I prefer regulations that force transparency which allow competition and the free market to work, instead of forcing companies to handle their private property in a particular manner.

If your ISP is censoring your material or guilty of some other shenanigans, I believe they should have to disclose that to their users in a blatant matter (not hidden in EULAs or other wall-o-texts).

Thorn14

I'm sorry but I still think the internet is my choice of use, to me the internet is a utility now.

To restrict it now would be to restrict water.

Callie Del Noire

I notice the prime offender the corps are using as an excuse is things like Bittorrent. I notice that streaming video, MMOs, VOIP and other 'big densintiy data streams' aren't mentioned though they have stated they would like to regulated what their clients use.

Vekseid

Quote from: Thorn14 on April 06, 2010, 02:14:47 PM
http://digg.com/business_finance/US_court_rules_against_FCC_on_net_neutrality

That means net neutrality is dead. Enjoy your internet package looking like this in a short while.

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/4/2009/10/500x_netneut_01.jpg

I am scared shitless.

This only applies to the FCC taking early measures. Congress can still take action (or at this point, Google).

Serephino

I play World of Warcraft, which would just not be possible on dial-up.  I also have Vonage phone service, which I happen to like a lot better than Verizon's bullshit.  Both require broadband, and unfortunately, my only choice is Comcast.  I fucking hate Comcast with a passion!  I wouldn't put it past them to screw with my phone to try and get me to sign up for their phone service.  I think I'm already paying them enough, and what they want for the exact same features I already have is $20 more than what I'm paying now.  I would dearly love to see more regulations put on those greedy fucktards. 

Mudchaser

Quote from: Vekseid on April 06, 2010, 08:04:23 PM
This only applies to the FCC taking early measures. Congress can still take action (or at this point, Google).

Exactly.  The issue at hand here is not whether or not we should have Network Neutrality, but whether the FCC can more or less do whatever it wants, and it can't.  I haven't decided how I feel about Network Neutrality (I'm a free-market kinda guy, but you can make free-market arguments on both sides), but from what I've read, this decision looks like a good one.  This is the sort of thing we need to decide with our elected officials, not in a bureaucracy overreaching its bounds.

[tr][td]I lack the time for any new (or even current!) stories.  My apologies.

"From this arises the question whether it is better to be loved rather than feared, or feared rather than loved. It might perhaps be answered that we should wish to be both: but since love and fear can hardly exist together, if we must choose between them,
it is far safer to be feared than loved."   -Machiavelli

"There's nothing sexier than swordplay"  -Stana Katic[/td][/tr][/table]

Vekseid

Well, I'm not going to say I don't appreciate the FCC's effort. It is refreshing to know that smart people are working for us.

Wolfy

D: This could potentially mean that service providers could block sites like Elliquiy! *sobs*

Also, excuse me while I over-react irrationally. T_T

Kate

I vote that we plead for the aliens that abduct us to wipe out all people who beleive
in controlling others freedoms of information and expression.

It would be a political, social and cultural statement I would cheer.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Mudchaser on April 06, 2010, 09:14:33 PM
Exactly.  The issue at hand here is not whether or not we should have Network Neutrality, but whether the FCC can more or less do whatever it wants, and it can't.  I haven't decided how I feel about Network Neutrality (I'm a free-market kinda guy, but you can make free-market arguments on both sides), but from what I've read, this decision looks like a good one.  This is the sort of thing we need to decide with our elected officials, not in a bureaucracy overreaching its bounds.

I disagree. You have to realize the FCC would have to abide by regulations (granted ones they set up) and the various broadband companies would be restricted by NOTHING or No ONE. What is to restrict Comcast from restricting access to Google, Wow or whoever because a rival pays for 'preferred access' standing? Or simply decides to charge more for access to WoW,  Hulu or whatever?

I'd rather have the FCC push Net Neutrality than rely on the questionable kindness of folks who have already proven they are more into profit than catching up with the current level of other countries (When my broadband connection in Spain and Italy TWO years ago is better than what I get now stateside in a MAJOR city, that tells me that someone has been hedging on infrastructure upgrades..and I know we're even further behind folks like Japan, Korea and other countries).

This isn't about controlling access as much as it's the first step in fight that will determine how we're allowed access to the net. Hate to sound preachy but it comes down to that. I'm only surprised that the companies didn't lobby congress to make the FCC do their bidding like a puppy.

RubySlippers

This is the issue the FCC seems to be making people going to high speed internet and they plan very high speed internet over what we have now, that will then lower the number of providers who can now dictate content.

I know looking at this its bad for me and you. I don't want high speed cable internet if its going to cost me more than the $11.00 a month I pay now. And it likely will. And you don't want dial-up and want to pay more but in turn have limited options so Net Neutrality for you is a major issue.

And since you can't just go to someone else there is no leverage to make them behave banning normal market pressures.