Exalted Third Edition Kickstarter

Started by hatewheel, May 09, 2013, 04:15:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hatewheel

Hey all,

Not sure how many of you are familiar with Exalted, but the Third Edition Kickstarter went live today and hit its 60k goal in 18 minutes o_o.

This promises to be the most exciting event Exalted fans have seen possibly in forever. Check it out if you like Exalted. Maybe tell your friends. Exalted is back!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/200664283/deluxe-exalted-3rd-edition

HairyHeretic

Exalted is one of my favourite systems, so I was already posting about this :)

Currently I'm trying to figure out if I can justify buying the deluxe book.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Kazyth

... oh yeah, that's what I'm talking about.  New Exalted?  Mmmm.

Not that I'll probably get to play it, mind, but I enjoy even just owning the books.
A rose by any other name... still has thorns you can prick someone with. - Me.

Chris Brady

I...  I want to like this version, but then I see this:

Quote• New! Exalted Types—Encounter never-before-seen Exalts: The Getimian Exalted, drawn from stillborn destinies to serve as agents in one man’s war against Heaven. The Liminal Exalted who stand at the border between life and death, humanity and monstrosity. And finally, the “black market” champions of forbidden gods, made with divine power stolen from the hand of the Unconquered Sun.

Come on, guys, focus on the basic Exalts and getting them right, before adding more broken rules systems.

And I HOPE you move away from the broken Storyteller system that was built for low powered political games, not something as combat heavy (potentially) as Exalted is.

I WANT to love this game.  I love the fluff and ideas behind it, but the execution has broken my heart too many times.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Plot Hooks

Quote from: Chris Brady on May 09, 2013, 09:21:42 PM
I...  I want to like this version, but then I see this:

Come on, guys, focus on the basic Exalts and getting them right, before adding more broken rules systems.

And I HOPE you move away from the broken Storyteller system that was built for low powered political games, not something as combat heavy (potentially) as Exalted is.

I WANT to love this game.  I love the fluff and ideas behind it, but the execution has broken my heart too many times.

I would like to raise some points.

I've been keeping track of this for awhile, and they have convinced me that they are on the right track.  My biggest concern when I first heard about new exalt types was that they were putting flowers on a dead horse to freshen it up.  This was back before 3e had been announced.  Based on information provided by Hatewheel (the line developer) and Holden, I am nearly 110% sure that this is not the case.

Firstly, their combat system has been redesigned from the ground up.   It's still storyteller, but it seems more different from 2e than 2e was from 1e.   Ticks are verified as being gone, and the combat preview leads me to believe that paranoia combat is going to be gone as well.  More on that here:  http://forums.white-wolf.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=76088

Secondly, Part of the reason the old splats didnt work like they ought to have is that they were round pegs shoved in square holes. In both 1e and 2e, the game was designed around Solars, and the splat books were done after the fact in 'add on' fashion.  I have it on good authority that 3e took a different approach and that the system has been designed from the get-go to support these other splats, so that instead of figuring out how to run Lunars or Sids on a system meant for Solars, you have the splats operating within a system designed to accommodate them.

Thirdly, I suspect the new exalt types are there (in part) to show off the new NPC character creation tools and charm guidelines and such.

Fourthly, this is the team that brought us the excellent Masters of Jade, CoTD Autothon, and Shards of the Exalted Dream.   It's no secret that 2nd Ed mechanics and oversight were shit, much to the detriment of the system.   However, the books that I listed are easily some of the best of the edition and are indicative of the quality that you should expect from 3e.   The current dev team has their finger solidly on the pulse of what Exalted is about and should be, and I too would urge you to take a second look with new eyes.

Kaz!   If the mood suits me and time allows, I might run a 3e game for you and a few select others.
"Cut me down or let me run.  Either way it's all gonna burn." - Joe (The Protomen)

Ons/Offs       Ideas          A/A

Laughing Hyena

Chris Brady

Plot Hooks, I've got a friend whose keeping a bunch of us appraised with the links of the spoiled stuff, and I've moved from utter dread to cautious optimism.

But I'm actually an optimist by nature, so...  Wait and see.  That's all I'm going to do.  It sounds good.  But so did Duke Nukem Forever.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Plot Hooks

I think I'm in the cautiously optimistic camp as well.  We'll see, though!   Masters of Jade has been the best book in terms of actual content used in my games since Games of Divinity, so yea... Crossed fingers here.
"Cut me down or let me run.  Either way it's all gonna burn." - Joe (The Protomen)

Ons/Offs       Ideas          A/A

Vekseid

Ultimately, I ended up breaking down and ditching my initial Pathfinder campaign plans for this:
- https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=175363.msg8306237#msg8306237

>_>

Probably not everything I want, but I've noticed that a few things I tried to promote as house rules early on have made it in (A brute squad like system for groups stands out), and it seems they did actually end up going for the heroic/mythic combat angle, which is awesome.

That said, I do want to reiterate my distaste for most of the Exalted novels. Except for perhaps Jess Hartley's I think Exalted as a whole would be better off forgetting about them.

Ephiral

Quote from: Plot Hooks on May 14, 2013, 03:11:42 PMFourthly, this is the team that brought us the excellent Masters of Jade, CoTD Autothon, and Shards of the Exalted Dream.   It's no secret that 2nd Ed mechanics and oversight were shit, much to the detriment of the system.   However, the books that I listed are easily some of the best of the edition and are indicative of the quality that you should expect from 3e.   The current dev team has their finger solidly on the pulse of what Exalted is about and should be, and I too would urge you to take a second look with new eyes.

Actually, it's them plus Grabowski. So... yeah, pretty optimistic myself.

Chris Brady

Quote from: Vekseid on May 30, 2013, 01:38:50 AM
Ultimately, I ended up breaking down and ditching my initial Pathfinder campaign plans for this:
- https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=175363.msg8306237#msg8306237

>_>

Probably not everything I want, but I've noticed that a few things I tried to promote as house rules early on have made it in (A brute squad like system for groups stands out), and it seems they did actually end up going for the heroic/mythic combat angle, which is awesome.

That said, I do want to reiterate my distaste for most of the Exalted novels. Except for perhaps Jess Hartley's I think Exalted as a whole would be better off forgetting about them.

You're supposed to, V.  The comics, the novels, the short stories have always been pointed out to being not canon.  Even the NPC characters listed are supposed not canon.

Kazyth

... gotta find myself a Tabletop game when this comes out, somewhere, somehow.  I miss it.  Or if not this, then maybe Scion, or nWoD Changeling, or something.  *grumbles*
A rose by any other name... still has thorns you can prick someone with. - Me.

HairyHeretic

Likewise. I'd enjoy a game of Exalted or Scion myself. Preferably Scion.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.