News:

Sarkat And Rian: Happily Ever After? [EX]
Congratulations shengami & FoxgirlJay for completing your RP!

Main Menu

A Ranma 1/2 RP [UN]

Started by Kai, July 13, 2008, 07:45:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadPanda

And you do a more-than-passable Genma into the bargain!  :)
Voluptas ailuri fulgentis decretum est!
Omnis nimis, temperantia ob coenobitae.
(Jes, tiuj frazoj estas malĝustaj. Pandoj fakte ne komprenas la latinan!)

One on Ones Suggestion Box
Group Game Suggestion Box
Pandariffic Ons and Otherwise
In Memory of Bishrook

Mathim

I love Genma. He is the single biggest asshole in the Ranma universe. Running out on his wife, numerous unpaid bills, Ranma cleaning up all his messes and suffering for it, and chickening out every time it comes to stopping Happosai's panty raids. He's great.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

MadPanda

He's also how I got my handle.  Loooong story*, but it dates from way back before I'd seen enough of the anime or manga (which was still being done at the time) to realize what a pain in the butt he was...but I thought the whole bit with the signs was hilarious!  Still do, in fact.

* PM me for details if you really want 'em.

In Memory of Bishrook

Mathim

Single funniest Genma Saotome moment:

"Ranma, it is finally time I reveal the secret behind your birth. I gave birth to you myself!"
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Kai

THE RP IS DEAD

This will remain here in the hopes that we can get others interested. So far, it's just back to me and MP. I'd really love this to be a group RP, so find this in the Player's Wanted fairly soon.

Mathim

I'm back on. What happened, did Galatea just stop coming on or something? She was Akane so she was a really important character...

MadPanda

Gal did not post, nor did she respond to a couple of PMs to that effect.  So...

We're dead in the water.

In Memory of Bishrook

Mathim

Bugger. Why is it mostly guys who are into Ranma 1/2? It's such a cute romance, you'd think more girls would be into it.

MadPanda

Couldn't tell you.  I do know that Mrs. MP prefers Inu-yasha because the romantic polygons could be resolved and there would still be a story...

But she doesn't like Uresai Yatsura very much, either (read: at all) so there you go.

In Memory of Bishrook

Mathim

Er...well, she's got us there, Inuyasha DOES have a story...but there's so much filler it might as well NOT have had one! It's like a permanently unattainable goal with nothing but character reinforcement barely gluing it together. At least in Ranma 1/2, we came to not expect an ending and, well, when the ending DID come, there was no real resolution. About the only thing resolved by the end (just slightly beforehand) was that Ranma's mother found out about his secret and didn't want to make him commit Seppuku because of it. That's about the only concrete plot hole that was closed. Does anyone even know if Inuyasha has an ending yet?

And what's Urusai Yatsura? I know I've heard that title but I know nothing about it. Maybe I should Wiki it...

MadPanda

Uresai Yatsura was something Rumiko Takahashi did before she started Ranma.  Like Ranma, it had no definite ending...

In Memory of Bishrook

Mathim

Oh, like Maison Ikkoku? I read about Urusei Yatsura and it sounds interesting, but I definitely still think Ranma 1/2 is her masterwork. It's really strange, the common thing about her work is that it's more of a hand-drawn sitcom than an actual story. Except Inuyasha, which is sort of just a 'pretender', the hybrid of her normal style and the story-driven works of other artists.

Maybe we can try to turn this Ranma 1/2 RP into a crossover with some of her other series?

MadPanda

Funny you should mention that...

Maison Ikkoku with aliens and flying saucers and the unluckiest kid in the entire world, that's Uresai Yatsura!

In Memory of Bishrook

Mathim

Do you happen to know if Inuyasha does have an ending yet? Or do you know someone who might know? I can't seem to find that information anywhere.

MadPanda

I believe she may still be working on it...but don't quote me.

In Memory of Bishrook

Mathim

That...is just...ridiculous. That's why I stopped watching/reading the series, there's just no need for that. I mean, if it's going to be longer than Ranma 1/2, then they really need to put some substance into it. We know Miroku is a pervert but he likes Sango most, we know Sango is conflicted about Kohaku, we know Inuyasha and Kagome like each other more than they'll ever admit, GET ON WITH IT! Well that's my little rant.

I had thought of a funny idea for the RP, actually. Ranma would say he wouldn't love a girl who was too afraid of taking big risks, so he challenges Ukyo and Akane to go up on the stage at the concert at the other part of the beach, and flash their breasts at the crowd! LOL, I'd love to see if Akane would ever be brave enough to do that.

Jeramiahh

*scratches chin* I could play a relatively convincing Akane... I've always liked Ranma, and I'm good at playing angry girls. =P
I'm not shy. I'm silently stalking my prey.
There are two things that are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not quite sure about the first one.

Mathim

Again with the all guys joining and no girls...what's up with that?

Calling all Kais...where'd you go? It's your thread, bro. If Jeremiahh is willing to be Akane, we've got everyone we need then, don't we?

Kai

Alright. If Jeramiah wants to take Akane, that's fine. Then instead of starting over, why don't you just go ahead and post?

Also, who cares about what sex the player is in real life? As long as you have a good enough imagination, it shouldn't bother you in the least.

Mathim

Boy, this place really died over the weekend, didn't it? Is anyone still here? Jeremiahh, if you're around, the RP is in the...I forget where, but there's a link to it on one of the other pages. If you're still in for playing Akane, it's your turn. And Ranma hasn't done anything that could piss her off yet so don't pull out the wooden mallet just yet! ;D

Jeramiahh

You're slow, Mathim. Not only have I accepted the role of Akane, I've also posted. The ball's in your corner. And I'm more of the school that doesn't play her as quite the psychotic, man-hating bitch that fans and fan fiction seem to portray her.

And I'm always around. It takes a corrupted OS, or a lack of power or internet to keep me from this place. =P
I'm not shy. I'm silently stalking my prey.
There are two things that are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not quite sure about the first one.

Mathim

Actually I started reading some of the later volumes and it seems like she's gotten a whole lot worse after volume 25. I can't believe Ranma is actually attracted to her, considering how many other more mellow and beautiful fiancees want to marry him.

MadPanda

The last few pages of vol. 36 make the original author's opinion fairly clear, I'm afraid (now that I've finally had a chance to see them whilst browsing at Borders).

Curiously, the line normally rendered in fanon as "Of course you realize this is mostly your fault," with Akane speaking to Ranma on the morning after the failed wedding, is in the original presented thusly:

Akane: "Of course you realize this is mostly..."
Ranma: "Your fault."

A world of difference, there.

In Memory of Bishrook

Mathim

...what the hell are you talking about? I don't get it at all. The wedding didn't go through, and how does Akane or Ranma blaming the other have anything to do with it? They never try again, at least, I don't believe they did.

They didn't get married, Ranma is still cursed (as is everybody else) and no one ends up with anyone at the end of the last volume. It's pretty much a fan fiction writer's dream because they're free to pair anyone with anyone and not be wrong.

MadPanda

The point is, in fanon, it's presented as Akane blaming Ranma.  All one way, hostility included.

In the original series, it's a bit more equal...and far less heated, from the facial expressions.

Get it?  Rumiko Takahashi is on record as saying that 'Akane wins', and comparing what she drew to what folks have done with it since seems to support that statement.  That it doesn't end with a successful resolution is beside the point: neither did Uresai Yatsura (although an early story gave us the ultimate answer to that one, too).

In Memory of Bishrook