Doomsday Is Here What are you're plans?

Started by despickable, December 20, 2012, 07:55:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Revolverman

Oniya

"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Lilias

To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Avis habilis

He must have been pretty buff after all those years of carpentry, after all.

Devil's Advocate

My plans for tomorrow are simple: take the kids to school, go to the office, work on accounting and billing.  What an awful thing for an attorney to do!  Oh, and I have to write my paralegal a paycheck!  I don't understand why she won't work for free.  I'm a joy to work for!
O/o's

A/a's

The trouble with resisting temptation is that is may never come again!

Moraline

Cyrano Johnson

Quote from: Moraline on December 20, 2012, 02:34:30 PM
The sound of static slowly crackles and pops over the airwaves...
The sound of static slowly crackles and pops over the airwaves a voice seems to come through the hissing....
The sound of static slowly crackles and pops over the airwaves a voice seems to come through the hissing....
"Moraline to Elliquiy, do you read me, Elliquiy? This is radio free Canada, coming at you from the East Coast..." The transmission is interrupted with the sound of further crackling and squealing.. a long hiss sounds just before the voice returns.

"Elliquiy, I come to you from deep underground in my bunker at the northern end of the Appalachian mountain chain. Across the border in what was once known as New Brunswick, Canada.  I have supplies, fresh water, dried and canned food goods as well as a stock pile of ammunition and guns. Bring your families and hurry. Dammit, when this world ends we won't go without a fight!"

I love this.  O8)

Here's a fun game: how many (newsworthy) anticipated apocalypses or proclaimed raptures have you lived through? This page, weighted toward recent claims, is a good place to start. According to what's there, my count is 75 or 76 or thereabouts. (We've already lived through two apocalypses this year, believe it or not.) Lots of them are just people boringly counting biblical generations until the Rapture or trying to predict nuclear war or economic collapse or reading ridiculous shit into astronomical alignments, but for my money the most creative apocalyptic shit-disturbing technique was still the Y2K scare. Amazing how much they were able to get some people worked up about that.

The irony about tomorrow's entry in the apocalypse sweepstakes is that the Mayans didn't predict any such thing. I wonder what the next big hype will be?
Artichoke the gorilla halibut! Freedom! Remember Bubba the Love Sponge!

Cyrano Johnson's ONs & OFFs
Cyrano Johnson's Apologies & Absences

Devil's Advocate

O/o's

A/a's

Sasquatch421

Devil's Advocate

I wouldn't know where to start counting.  I mean, we're talking 43 years here!
O/o's

A/a's

Oniya

Presumably, any 'doomsday event' within your lifespan is fair game.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Pumpkin Seeds

I'll be at work.  Guessing the ER will be packed with the Apocalypse happening and all.

Outsider

gaggedLouise

Great pic, Moraline! - and I can't help thinking of the UK actor (forgot his name, but I think he was in Dr Who at some time) who singled out one of the worst lines he had ever had to speak. Confronting a squad of aliens and waving some kind of primitive ray pistol, he stood firm:

"Take me to your leader or I'll kill him with this gun!"

;D

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Beguile's Mistress

Quote from: Sasquatch421 on December 20, 2012, 08:11:12 AM
So how would it work with the dateline? Half the world ending before the other half? Me I'm staying home sick.... What a way to end the world huh?

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/maya

NiceTexasGuy

I'm glad to see someone is talking about this.

My reason?  Well, so far every potential shtf scenario I've experienced has garnered a lot of conversation, but I've not heard anybody talk about this... and it's the ones you're not worried about that always bite you in the ass... so thanks to you guys, I now know there's not as much to worry about as there was before I noticed this thread.  Because yeah, I think there's really something to this.

Oh, and I didn't take time to read them all, but for those earlier posts that "rolling apocalypse" that started at GMT ... no, I think the timing would be based on what time zone the Mayans were in.
What a shame -- The money you spent on those tattoos could have gone toward a boob job.
===
My Ons and Offs:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=97303.0
==============
I have taken The Oath of Don't Waste My Friggin' Time

Driskoll

Clearly the apocalypse won't occur until it's the 21st throughout all of America. It's the greatest nation and therefore deserves the honor of being destroyed by zombie mayans first :P

Outsider

Given my life really does suck at the moment I wouldn't mind apocalypse tomorrow. /egoist

Silver

Quote from: Driskoll on December 20, 2012, 08:14:29 PM
Clearly the apocalypse won't occur until it's the 21st throughout all of America. It's the greatest nation and therefore deserves the honor of being destroyed by zombie mayans first :P

*snickers*

Yes because America is all important...
O/O's  Request Thread  A/A's
Now Playing: Star - ♡ Machinedrum (A$AP Ferg Remix)
People fear what they don't understand, But then they get mad because they don't dare to do it, Everybody a shinin' star, they ain't get far so they can't prove it, Most stars foolish, full of gas, useless, Pushin' bad influence, wonder what happened to 'em?, They say hurt people hurt people, guess that is proven, They put on a mask to mask feelings, Fill the universe with mass ceilings, Most people not even tappin' in...♡

despickable

Quote from: Driskoll on December 20, 2012, 08:14:29 PM

LOL

Those pesky American have to be first at everything. The gold medal for being sliced and diced by an alien invasion goes to the USA cue the anthem

“We have multiplied our possessions but reduced our values. We talk too much, love too seldom, and hate too often. We’ve learned how to make a living but not a life. We’ve added years to life, not life to years.” – George Carlin
Despickable's A&A 
Despickable's Wiki Page
[url=https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=133839.0]
[/url][/url]Despickable's Ons and Offs

Oniya

Quote from: Moraline on December 20, 2012, 03:49:53 PM

If it snows, I'm so making snow-Daleks in the chained-off parking lot of the vacant church next door...

despickable

Ben Lee - end of the world

Some great end of the world ideas to have fun with

“We have multiplied our possessions but reduced our values. We talk too much, love too seldom, and hate too often. We’ve learned how to make a living but not a life. We’ve added years to life, not life to years.” – George Carlin
Despickable's A&A 
Despickable's Wiki Page

ManyMindsManyVoices

"It's interesting that the people who are complaining about how it's all 'American-centric' seem to be ignoring that there are a lot of other countries that share those time zones... For instance, as was pointed out earlier, the one(s) that the Mayans lived in..."
My O/Os * Everyone should read 1/0

This is the Oath of the Drake. You should take it.

despickable

From what I hear Jesus Christ was an American. If we are to believe all the religious guff that is sprouted.

Time zones we not invented by God but by humans. So its all academic anyway

Despickable's A&A 
Despickable's Wiki Page

Lilias

Best line I've heard about this whole clusterfuck was in an article linked further up: 'If Mayans were any good at predicting the future, there would still be Mayans.' :D

The rest of us can just start drunk-singing 'It's The End Of The World As We Know It (And I'm Feeling Fine)' at the top of our voices at midnight, just to annoy the neighbours. :D
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI