News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Some computer help is needed.

Started by SinsOfEden, March 14, 2010, 09:09:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SinsOfEden

Basically put, I need some advice/help on something concerning my computer.

Several weeks ago I was having some issues. Whenever I would try and save something, such as a word document, the Save As window came up....but then froze, giving me the '(Not Responding)' deal. And then the program would have to close entirely. It also did that on my Y!M when I tried to save a few conversations from my archives into my documents.

Then it stopped acting this way for about a week or so and started up again last night when I tried saving a document.

I use OpenOffice, if that might help at all for any reason.

But I just can't figure out what's wrong here and it's getting very aggravating, because I can't save ANY documents and that is a very big problem for me.  =\

If anyone can help or knows what is going on, please tell me or help so I can get this cleared up. Please, please, please.

|≈|  Apologies/Absences  |≈|  On's/Off's & More  |≈| 

|≈|  Elluiki   |≈| 
{Between Zyrkirius and Lloyd... Zyr is currently present.}

~ Current avatar ~

|≈|  Zyr's Beast  |≈|  Lloyd's first intro.  |≈|

Serephino

My first thought would be a virus.  Check out the resources for a healthy computer thread.  And if all else fails, unless you have Vista, a system restore will usually fix the problem.  And if you have Vista, that's the problem...

SinsOfEden

Quote from: Sparkling Angel on March 14, 2010, 09:36:54 PM
My first thought would be a virus.  Check out the resources for a healthy computer thread.  And if all else fails, unless you have Vista, a system restore will usually fix the problem.  And if you have Vista, that's the problem...

I don't have any viruses.

And I do have Vista. But this issue just started recently. I've never had problems like this in the past.

Which is another reason why I'm at a loss here.  =\

|≈|  Elluiki   |≈| 

~ Current avatar ~

Vekseid

Open up the task manager and see what's hogging resources during these points?

DrFier

Does it give you the recovery prompt when you launch it again? It should. If not, try using windows explorer to make the file before you write anything.
Ons and Offs
Ideas
The Doctor is out.

Screen images simulated. Not an actual physician. Professional driver on a closed course, do not attempt. If you have an erection lasting more than four hours, contact your significant other.

SinsOfEden

Quote from: DrFier on March 14, 2010, 10:46:23 PM
Does it give you the recovery prompt when you launch it again? It should. If not, try using windows explorer to make the file before you write anything.

Yeah. It recovers it. But it won't save it at all and I need it to save...

Edit:

Wow.... It, uh, just saved it.   *blinks*

And I haven't even done anything. But will it save something else?    ><;

|≈|  Elluiki   |≈| 

~ Current avatar ~

SinsOfEden

Quote from: Vekseid on March 14, 2010, 10:39:15 PM
Open up the task manager and see what's hogging resources during these points?

I will keep that in mind for when/if it happens again.  *nods*

|≈|  Elluiki   |≈| 

~ Current avatar ~

SinsOfEden

Okay, so.... Yesterday OpenOffice wouldn't let me save anything. Then it stopped messing up and I could save stuff.

It was fine ALL day today.

Now it won't let me OPEN things.

What. The. Fuck. I don't get it.   >=|

|≈|  Elluiki   |≈| 

~ Current avatar ~

Caeli

Maybe try uninstalling and reinstalling it? :/ It sounds like the program is corrupted or something.
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

SinsOfEden

Quote from: Caeli on March 16, 2010, 12:57:15 AM
Maybe try uninstalling and reinstalling it? :/ It sounds like the program is corrupted or something.

Hrm. That is a thought, yes.

I will do that if it's still acting up later. But for now.... I need to go to bed and get some rest. Then I'll have to see what it's doing later on.

|≈|  Elluiki   |≈| 

~ Current avatar ~

Gosco

Vekseid had a point. If it is doing it randomly, it is probably because something is hogging your resources. Hit Ctrl + Alt + Del and sort by CPU usage. Something is probably hogging your CPU and explorer can't save the file at those time.

Also, where exactly are you saving these documents? Sometimes it is where or what you are saving them too that can be the problem. For example, It takes a while for a document to be saved on an external device sometimes if the drivers are bad or old.
What would the world be like without the creative? Always the same.

"History? I'll teach you history. You want to know the difference between you and the you 5 minutes ago? The you 5 minutes ago had 5 minutes to live." -Anachronox

SinsOfEden

Quote from: Gosco on March 16, 2010, 01:53:33 AM
Vekseid had a point. If it is doing it randomly, it is probably because something is hogging your resources. Hit Ctrl + Alt + Del and sort by CPU usage. Something is probably hogging your CPU and explorer can't save the file at those time.

Also, where exactly are you saving these documents? Sometimes it is where or what you are saving them too that can be the problem. For example, It takes a while for a document to be saved on an external device sometimes if the drivers are bad or old.

I tried looking and couldn't tell if anything was hogging up resources.

And I'm saving the documents in my Documents here on my laptop. I've never had problems saving anything there EVER.    =\

|≈|  Elluiki   |≈| 

~ Current avatar ~

DrFier

Click the memory tab on top, that will sort the programs in order of memory usage. should be obvious what is in the top spots.
Ons and Offs
Ideas
The Doctor is out.

Screen images simulated. Not an actual physician. Professional driver on a closed course, do not attempt. If you have an erection lasting more than four hours, contact your significant other.

SinsOfEden

It says that OpenOffice is the top one. After that is Internet Explorer and then Desktop Window Manager.

|≈|  Elluiki   |≈| 

~ Current avatar ~