Computer. Keeps. Freezing. >:|

Started by Doomsday, October 08, 2009, 08:27:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doomsday

So it started happening a few days ago, maybe 2 or 3. My computer would just... Freeze, the screen would get all choppy. It reminds me of the Sega Genesis, if you hit it or messed it up the whole screen would go bonkers.

I have no idea what's wrong with it, only what I've already described :-(

When I turn my monitor off and turn it back on, the little display thing pops up, saying 768x1024 and blah blah blah, so I'm 99% sure it's not my monitor.

Haibane

How much space is free on your HDD?

As we discussed in IRC, I would certainly let MBAM run on it (after you update it) and be warned it can take 2 or 3 hours.

Doomsday

It found 2 things, I haven't acted on it yet because I don't feel like restarting. I  think I'm in excess of 100GB left on my hard drive... Like I said before, I just wiped my HDD a couple weeks ago and have pretty much stopped downloading. :-)

HairyHeretic

Problem with your graphics card maybe?
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Doomsday

Possible... I hope not though. The computer is about 3 years old and if I'm going to buy any parts for it I'd rather just build a new one.

HairyHeretic

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Doomsday

Did that when I reinstalled XP after wiping the hard drive.

jouzinka

Well, maybe try again. Is the computer up to date with updates?
Story status: Not Available
Life Status: Just keep swimming...
Working on: N/A

HairyHeretic

Checked the cables and the seating of the card?

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Doomsday

I'd say it's fairly updated, yes, but I'm not much of a hardware person so I'm not even going to tear this sucker apart. Alas... The seizure-like freezing has stopped for now, I bet they'll begin again in a few days. Thanks for all the suggestions though, I guess my computer is just old and cranky.

shadowspale

I am not aware of your maintenance habits so I am just shooting off things I know can cause the screen to freeze.

If you have XP, try defragging or running Errorcheck. Might want to check and make sure your fans are working properly; getting too hot can kill a computer fast, learned that the hard way. Have you recently ran your anitvirus or antispam ware? I have picked up things the day I got it back so...

Yep. Have had lots of trouble with mine freezing, these usually takes care of it for a while.

Nessy

Have you checked yoru fans? Especially with video cards the big ones, gaming cards like I have, can have a tendency to go out. If you have a case, you can run the computer with the case off make sure everything is turning. If it is, trying running a regular fan into a case for a bit... if that helps, it could be a signal of overheating. I mean that is my first thought is an overheating problem.
Ons and Offs    Short Term Ideas,
Misc. Long Term Ideas

If you send me a PM and I don't respond, chances are I just missed it. Send it again!

Some heroes don't wear capes. Some just #holdthedoor.