Dragon Ball Z

Started by Malkavian, August 15, 2019, 04:09:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malkavian

Random question...

Does anyone here have, or have access to, the Dragon Ball Z Adventure Game? I loved the show as a kid, and was given the rulebook for it, and it seems likely something that could be fun with the right folks.

Marie Reynolds

How compatible is this with the fuzion rules the company sells now?

GunmetalDreamer

Ha ha.  Ha.

I own the whole run.

And the pdf for the unreleased Cell book (though I'd have to search my hard drive for that).

Quote from: Marie Reynolds on August 15, 2019, 07:16:23 PM
How compatible is this with the fuzion rules the company sells now?

The DBZ Adventure game is the Instant Fuzion version from R.Talsorian, yes.

Malkavian

:o

Mind sharing? I have the Saiyan, Frieza, and Android Saga books. Been craving more.

GunmetalDreamer

I'll dig around and see if I can locate it again (it's been a couple of reformats, but I always save my pdf folder).  What I mostly remember from it was that to dodge the copyright issue, all the character names were written backwards, and that it was done by the same guy who wrote the Android book.

Malkavian

Awesome. :-) Just keen to try out more material with my Saiyan, Okura.

GunmetalDreamer

Well, shoot.  It seems I may have to adjust that to "I used to have the unreleased book."  I can ask a few friends, see if I can't track it down again.

... I think I found Chris Conkle's obituary though.  That's a little sad.

Malkavian

Damn. :-\ If not, I'll just have to stick to the three official releases. Wish they'd managed to get the Cell and Buu sagas done before discontinuining it.

GunmetalDreamer

Malkavian

TheSithChicken

Someone made a newer, better (because - let's be honest - the fuzion one isn't very good) DBZ game.

https://thetrove.net/Books/_Collections/Cartoon%20Games/Dragon%20Ball%20Z/Dragon-Ball-The-Roleplaying-Game.pdf

GunmetalDreamer

To be fair, a lot of people have tried their hand at it over the years (heck, I home ruled the hell out of the DBZAG myself).  I've played Mutants & Masterminds and FATE Incarnations that were pretty good.  I was actually hanging around 4chan when the linked game started development (I wasn't a playtester, but I did used to stop into the thread).  Did they ever finish it?  The last time I saw a thread there were still some rough spots.

Edit:  Just to prove my point these guys have been camping out on The Cream Games Facebook page just spamming a link to their game to any visitor who comes by to ask if development is ongoing on the version you posted :P

Edit2:  Oh, hey, the Paper Attack guys might have found a publisher and could by on their way to be the next official Dragon Ball RPG.  Good for them.

Edit3:  And now I know that the Dragon Ball Z Narrator-guy passed away.  Man, it's been some kinda week.

Malkavian

Quote from: TheSithChicken on August 17, 2019, 01:07:42 AMSomeone made a newer, better (because - let's be honest - the fuzion one isn't very good) DBZ game.

https://thetrove.net/Books/_Collections/Cartoon%20Games/Dragon%20Ball%20Z/Dragon-Ball-The-Roleplaying-Game.pdf

I'll give this one a look. I personally enjoy the Fuzion one, however, but am always up for finding a system I might enjoy more. If that proves to be the above, I'll port my Saiyan over.

Edit: The d10 version is cool - especially since it includes God forms and similar era things - but it looks like it was discontinued before the rulebook was finished? Someone else showed me another fan-made RPG that looked too crunchy for my tastes.

Quote from: GunmetalDreamer on August 17, 2019, 03:08:42 AMTo be fair, a lot of people have tried their hand at it over the years (heck, I home ruled the hell out of the DBZAG myself).  I've played Mutants & Masterminds and FATE Incarnations that were pretty good.  I was actually hanging around 4chan when the linked game started development (I wasn't a playtester, but I did used to stop into the thread).  Did they ever finish it?  The last time I saw a thread there were still some rough spots.

Edit:  Just to prove my point these guys have been camping out on The Cream Games Facebook page just spamming a link to their game to any visitor who comes by to ask if development is ongoing on the version you posted :P

Edit2:  Oh, hey, the Paper Attack guys might have found a publisher and could by on their way to be the next official Dragon Ball RPG.  Good for them.

Edit3:  And now I know that the Dragon Ball Z Narrator-guy passed away.  Man, it's been some kinda week.

Just seen this. XD And yeah, you seem to have noticed the same things I did.

I like the Fusion rules, personally. I could try my hand at the d10 one linked above, but it being incomplete would limit what could be done with it in a long-term game, whereas Fusion is more realised (even if it lacks anything from Android Saga onwards). That said, I DO like that that the d10 version has more "current content" (SSGSS era of things). And I wouldn't mind my Saiyan achieving SSG levels of power in the future... though without proper rules for XP gain, that can be harder to realise. (Also, the Saiyan Blood ability is the big appeal of a Saiyan, where you take more experience for each level of Fatigue, and so without XP rules it kind of makes them weak by comparison to everyone else unless they transform.)

GunmetalDreamer

My only real beef with the Fuzion game is that it could benefit from greater clarity.

Honorable mentions go to the Freiza Book removing Ki Control checks, and the far-too-easy-to-meet threshold for maiming people in the Android book.

Also, weapon-user build is a total trap option, but that's consistent with the show :P

Marie Reynolds

Well I could be interested in giving this a try and it looks like this old dbz character I have from a free form game  can be reproduced in the system. So if we get a game off the ground I would love to be apart of it.

Malkavian

I do like the look of the Paper Attack book, after looking it over a little more fully.

Marie Reynolds

If your still looking to play i would be interested in giving it a shot

wander

The rpg is pretty broken, though I'd be willing to jump in with a character for this if using the classic Adventure rpg books.

I think a main solution is to have a concept in mind before jumping in, then build around that with the group and GM to stat someone that would work well. It's easy to one-shot characters if you get a good ki shot in before the other character has a chance to ki shield, so that would need to be ironed out.

TFcommando

Quote from: GunmetalDreamer on August 16, 2019, 03:10:00 AM
Well, shoot.  It seems I may have to adjust that to "I used to have the unreleased book."  I can ask a few friends, see if I can't track it down again.

... I think I found Chris Conkle's obituary though.  That's a little sad.

He's not dead, he was on RPG.net just today.  https://forum.rpg.net/index.php?members/evilschemer.27/

As I recall, the later DBZ supplements needed to be approved by Toei, and they were very, very slow in doing so... typical for licensed games from large media properties and even moreso when dealing with Japanese ones internationally, the language barrier slowing things down further.
Behold!  My O&Os
Highly interested in
Canon Character Roleplay and System-based Roleplay

Marie Reynolds

I have an Android Concept I can  work with the systems to make happen! She is actually not a villain surprisingly.

Green Goo Theory

So, what's the status on all of this? 
Coming soon...