Legend of the Five Rings 4th edition Interest Check and Game Premise

Started by Marie Reynolds, June 06, 2013, 02:54:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marie Reynolds

The premise for this will be an All Ronin game,  You will be in the Employ of the  Amethyst Champion Who will be a Unicorn Bushi. More will be revelead as the discussion with the Champion occurs IC.

Though most of you won't know you have been employed by an Amethyst Champion unitil you show up at the meeting place.

Now for bits that will be crunchy but also help build the fluffy bits.

Feel free to be lecherous just try to be a ronin that has develop a Honorable reputation. Core Book True Ronin Option 1 and 2 are to be used The Disciples of Sun Tao, The Tawagoto's army and the Tessen on Page 234 & 235
From Enemies  of the Empire Rank 2 Ronin Paths permited are Claws of the Wolf, The East Wind and the Eyes of Nanashi on pages 200 and 201.

From the book of Air The Silken Promises Geisha (must secretly work for the Scorpion as the would have been the ones who assured your name made it to the Amethyst Champion) Master of Games must have ties to the Eyes of Nanashi on pages 179 and 180.

Also on top of what ever Ronin creation choice you make have an additional 25 experience points. Also in your background Include a secret kept from you of descendance from a Major clan.
Empress Iweko is on the Throne.

Muse

A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Pumpkin Seeds

Pumpkin Seeds

Marie Reynolds

Well also if anyone needs to ask questions my Skype is jinchi1103.

Muse

Draft One:  (I got Mari's approval to use this school.) 
Name:      Katsu
Clan:      Ronin (Of Lion Descent)
School:   Kenku Kensei

EXP:     75/0
Insight:   150

Air:        3
--Reflexes      3
--Awareness      3

Earth:     3
--Stamina      3
--Willpower      3

Fire:      2
--Agility      2
--Intelligence   2

Water      2
--Strength      2
--Perception      2

Void      3/3

Skills: 
*Athletics         1
Battle            1
*Defense         1
Divination         1
Etiquette         1
*Hunting         1
Iajutsu         1
Investigation      2
Jiujutsu         2
*Kenjutsu         3   Katana
Lore: Kenku Culture   1
*Lore: Spirit Realms   1
Medicine         1
*Meditation         2
*Tea Ceremony      1

Advantages: 
(4)   Blood of Osano’wo
(7)   Paragon of Compassion
(12)   Prodigy
(2)   Strength of the Earth

(3)   Compulsion (DC 20) Visit every major temple I pass. 
(4)   Cursed by the Realm: Gaki’do
(4)   Cursed by the Realm: Sakaku
(1)   Fascination: The old races. 
(4)   Failure of Bushido: Sincerity
(2)   Idealistic
(2)   Lechery
(3)   Social Disadvantage: Ronin
(2)   Unlucky

Techniques: 
RANK 1: WING OF THUNDER
The kenku bushi has learned to harness the speed of the wind itself, and can draw that element into himself. You may add the total of your Refl exes and School Rank to your Armor TN against any enemy with lower Initiative.

RANK 2: HEAVEN’S CLAW
The bushi has tapped the power of the thunderbolt, striking hard at his enemy’s weaknesses. Any time you inflict more than 10 points of damage with a single attack, your opponent loses one Void Point. Against opponents with no Void Points remaining (or no Void), you may instead re-roll a single damage die and take the better of the two results.

Daisho
Light Armor
Traveling Pack
--
--
--
--Tea Set
--
--
--
--
--
--

Koku: 3

History: 
   Nineteen years ago, a cabal of majo users in the crane lands began raiding lion provinces and falling back across the border to avoid repercussions.

A small band of young samurai, including Moto Hikari, quietly crossed the border without political sanction to dispatch them.  As Hikari’s grandfather had warned her, the undead minions of the majo clan saught her out above all other targets.  The covert war was long, and the samurai often driven into hiding for weeks at a time.  Hikari swelled with a child her husband had planted in her before they left.  She had two companions left when a country midwife delivered their son.  She named him Katsu, but deliberately did not pronounce upon him a family name, in hopes that the family curse would not fall upon him and the undead would not seek him out. 

In the next few months, more and more undead descended upon the Lionesses.  The remaining majo users were desperate, and using the curse on Hikari to help track them. 

Before the babe was weened, Hikari was the last of them.  In Katsu’s fourth month of life, his mother took a bite that infected and she knew that—without magical medicine—she would soon die. 

She found a small shrine, kept by an aging bachelor named Ko.  She dared to stay one night with Ko, then hardened her heart and told the old man, “I found this child alone in a village burned out by bandits.  I can take him no further.  I pray you, find him a good home.” 

Then she left.   Though it is only recorded in the most confused of songs, Hikari fought her way through the undead and slew the leader of the majo cult before wound fever took her, and she was buried with honors by the farmers she liberated. 

Now Ko was a wise man, and an admirer of the feminine form.  He could tell before Hikari left that she was both sick and the mother of the child, but a samurai would not like without very good reason, so he honored her words as if they were the truth.  With the help of a village woman for a wet nurse, he raised Katsu as his own grandson. 

Nine years later, running an errand in town, Katsu encountered five older boys casting stones and insults at a feeble old beggar.  Without thought, he threw himself between them and demanded that they leave him alone. 

The biggest boy punched Katsu in the stomach harder and faster than he could block, and he doubled over in pain.  “How you going to make us, Katsu?  Just because the old fool named you Victory doesn’t mean you can take us.” 

Katsu gasped and straightened up, “Leave him alone.  Can’t you see you’re killing him?” 

“What, he’s just a beggar.  What are you going to do, stop us?  Shave your head, Katsu, and punch the ground to start an earthquake.” 

Katsu swallowed and straightened up.  He did, in fact, know some jiujutsu from his grandfather, but knew he couldn’t take five! 

He glanced back at the bloody old man, then shouted, “Fine, let’s go!”  And kicked one boy’s feet out from under him, then hammered a fist into another boy’s solar plexus… 

And was promptly grabbed and made a punching bag of for the next fifteen minutes. 

He wasn’t really conscious when the bullies screamed and fled. 

When he woke up again, he was home—with the tofu he’d never been able to pick up—and a monk of the brotherhood of Osano’wo was tending his wounds.  The monk smiled when he asked if the beggars wounds had also been tended, he nodded vaguely and replied, “That was very brave what you did. Your mother would be proud.  Sleep now.”   

When he woke again, he felt much better, and the monk offered to teach him Jiyujutsu. 

They studied Jiyujutsu for two years before the monk first offered him a shinai and showed him how all he’d learned about how to move and how to think and how to breathe could make him a great swordsman. 

On  his fourteenth birthday, the monk presented him with his mother’s daisho.  Katsu asked who his mother had been, and he simply replied, “A hero.”  Then he diverted the topic by assuming his true form and saying, “now we must begin your training in earnest.  Come at me with these, and do not hold back…” 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

ShadowFox89

Color me interested.... Not sure exactly what I might cook up, maybe someone from the Scorpion clan....
Call me Shadow
My A/A

ShadowFox89

Hmm... I'm thinking a Disciple of Sun Tao. Maybe a former Crane Clan?
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Marie Reynolds

Cool well you would be descended from a Crane and not be aware of your heritage but yes that would work.

ShadowFox89

Well, found a character generator program and played around with it a bit. I made a type 2 Ronin, but somehow ended up with 150 Influence.... I think I need some sleep >.>
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Marie Reynolds

Do you mean insight and actually its quite possible to hit 150 Insight.

ShadowFox89

Yeah, Insight, sorry. Posted that when I was tired.

I think I went 1 over on my disadvantaged though, so I'll have to go back and redo the stuff. Bad Fortune (3), Sworn Enemy (2), Lecherous (3), and Brash (3).
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Marie Reynolds

With me you can take more just balance them with advantages

Pumpkin Seeds

ShadowFox89

Call me Shadow
My A/A

Pumpkin Seeds

The World of a Willow

How the Flowers Were Scattered
The water slowly rippled at the touch of her fingertips.  A ripple so delicately cast that none could feel the pressure of the waves on their flesh.  Yet she felt the effect so subtle on the placid surface of the water.  The woman who had been a girl hours before knew what had been done both to the waters and to her soul.  So light the touch yet so far reaching the consequence.  Moments ago she had set aside her child name of Azumi, turned aside a name that had given her such sanctity and security.  Never again would she hear that name from the lips of another to call her.  Forward she would be called by the name Chaki.  Her eyes closed to think of the name and beside her the blossoms fell down to form a cascade of rippling water.

The Fortune Hotei had long since left a mark of his disfavor on the child known as Azumi.  A subtle touch, a casual mark that carried such weight for the path she might walk.  Across the green field of her eyes that glistened like so many emeralds was to be found the amber flecks of Hotei’s dismay.  Many among the village elders would stare down into the eyes of this girl child with wonder at the symbols of wealth and misfortune twisting inside her soul.  Azumi never knew their reasoning or the weight she carried inside spirit, she only knew the poverty of her parents and the trials of life.  Such was the hardship that never did the girl speak.  Silent though she was, Azumi still attracted the attention of a harsh mistress that came to her tiny village.

Haruka was no mere woman of the samurai caste come to view her holdings as Azumi first thought.  Presenting herself to the woman as she might any other noble woman, Azumi paid no mind to the interest the woman had.  Only later when she saw the money change hands, enough to keep her parents and siblings fed for many months, did she begin to wonder.  Nobody explains anything to a child though, especially a child bought and sold.  So it was that the next morning the girl child Azumi was set alongside crates of food and packages of silk for the pleasure gardens of Yasuki Yashiki in the year 11.  The girl child who would become a woman had no way to comprehend the life selected for her.

Blood did not flow like water.  Many compared the two but there was in truth no comparison to be made.  Chaki stared down at the rising blood from her body amidst the heated water of the pool.  Heavy and slow her blood moved through the water.  Like a serpent she mused the blood arrived to the surface and pooled before her.  Smoke from the ashes of her childhood.  Somewhere there was a poem to be sad, somewhere wisdom to be learned.  Yet someone had already done so before and she would not be the one to do so again.  A tear stained her eyes.  Tears and blood fell to join the petals of the cherry blossom tree.

Jr

I've always been curious about L5R, but never had the chance to play it before. Let me see if I can actually build a character in this system.

LuciusLeche

potentially interested in playing a Ronin Bushi from the City of the Rich Frog..just..trying to remember what book the cities in?
"If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you." -Oscar Wilde

On's and Off's

More On's and Off's