Fiasco [RPG game] Interest Check

Started by Innocence, October 26, 2015, 02:52:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Innocence

[From Bully Pulpit Games:

Fiasco

THINGS CAN GO WRONG, FAST…
Maybe some dude from youth group talked you into boosting a case of motor oil, but now your cousin is dead in a swamp and you killed him. Maybe you and your girlfriend figured you could scare your wife into a divorce, but things went pear-shaped and now a gang of cranked-up Mexicans with latex gloves and a pit bull are looking for you.It seemed like such a good idea at the time.

Fiasco is inspired by cinematic tales of small time capers gone disastrously wrong – inspired by films like Blood Simple, Fargo, The Way of the Gun, Burn After Reading, and A Simple Plan. You’ll play ordinary people with powerful ambition and poor impulse control. There will be big dreams and flawed execution. It won’t go well for them, to put it mildly, and in the end it will probably all go south in a glorious heap of jealousy, murder, and recrimination. Lives and reputations will be lost, painful wisdom will be gained, and if you are really lucky, your guy just might end up back where he started.

FIASCO is an award-winning, GM-less game for 3-5 players, designed to be played in a few hours with six-sided dice and no preparation. During a game you will engineer and play out stupid, disastrous situations, usually at the intersection of greed, fear, and lust. It’s like making your own Coen brothers movie, in about the same amount of time it’d take to watch one. ]

Basically looking for a few more people to join in a game of Fiasco.
Character relationships/ needs/ objects/ locations will be determined by dice rolls and by player turns like in the game. 
However, instead of individually playing out Act 1 scene 1 I was thinking we would freeform it and just let characters interact with each other for whatever time frame we decide most appropriate [for example 4 to 6 weeks in RL] After the appropriate amount of time we would roll for the tilt table results.  Then continue with Act 2 in the same way we conducted Act 1.

If interested please comment here. 

For the confirmed players, here is a link to the set up/OOC thread:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=238743.msg11763240#msg11763240
Give it a read and let me know if you have any questions or need me to add more information. =]

Ron Don Volante

Wow I am SO into this! Consider me bought in like crazy.
My character and plot repository

Feel free to PM me if you'd like to chat about my or your characters, plots, your work or anything that interests you.

Innocence

Woot =]
I'm thinking of using the Camp Death playset =]

Ron Don Volante

I've never actually read Fiasco (though it looks like I may have to) but I LOVE the hilarious craziness of Cohen Bros more off-the-rail films (Fargo, Burn After Reading, the Big Lebowski) and I think I may even have a character all locked and loaded ready to go. I have been thinking about advertising her on E for about a year but didn't think anyone would "get" it but she'd be perfect for this game. I cobbled her together from Better Call Saul, Big Lebowski, and bits of Bend It Like Beckham. :D

Feel free to PM me if you'd like to chat about my or your characters, plots, your work or anything that interests you.

wander

Oh, I'm in with this for sure!!!

I've never actually got to play this, but I love the game. :)

Also I recommend checking out 'Blame Society' on youtube for their games of Fiasco, which are damn fun watches as they drink whilst they play. :)

Remind me, is Camp Death a seperate playbook or is it included in the core?

Innocence

Ron - Haha awesome!!
I'm excited to see your character.

Wander - Hooray~!! This makes 3, the minimum required =]
I'll start making a thread and organizing the game tomorrow, I have to go to sleep now and work in the morning.
But any other players that wish to join can just let me know.
I think Camp Death is a separate playbook. I'll send the files to everyone playing tomorrow.

Goodnight all.

RedEve

I love this idea. But I'm terrible at system games. Just how complicated a game system is this?
"I don't have a dirty mind, I have a sexy imagination."
My ons and offs- My F-list

wander

Its been a while of checking the rules, but really most of the actual rolling is got out of the way at the start, and it just decides who the player's characters are to each other and general scene setting details, like macguffins and locations.

Act 1; Each player gets two scenes where they generally decide what they entail, then the other players decide the outcome, each one passing you a die, a white one represents positive outcome, black ones represents negative outcome. Things get acted out in freeform (it's a narrative based game of improv on the tabletop).

Then, in the following Tilt phase, through us rolling, we decide who will add two new categories to advance the story. This is pretty much decided by who rolls highest using their white dice and who has the highest total with their black dice.

Act 2 is the same as Act 1, but players assign the outcome dice to themselves, I believe.

The Aftermath is similar to the Tilt, though people roll on a pregenerated Aftermath table.

Then players take it in turns to narrate the closing montage (in freeform), which are longer with the more players involved.

It's actually way simpler than it made it sound and the dice rolling is fairly unobtrusive and serves as a way to decide how scenes work towards the endgame.

Phaia

Faeli

I am seven flavors of in.  At least two of them involve chocolate

wander

The Camp Death playbook also happens to be a free download at drivethru, which is really helpful.

There are some pretty fun Relationships perfect for an adult themed game in it...

I know the playbook pastiches Friday the 13th pretty well, but I'm up for watching some classy flicks like Texas Chainsaw Massacre to get in the Halloween spirit of this game... I'm down for the old 70s exploitation film vibe, like the older Wes Craven flicks, The Hill have Eyes and The Last House on the Left.

Anyone else thinking over potential avenues to go yet? :)

Ron Don Volante

I got an out of work down on her luck but attractive Indian-American attorney in case that gives anyone ideas ^_^

wander

I'll be waiting to see what the Pool gives us, tbh when it comes to my character. I like to be given a surprise. :)

I'm gonna come into this pretty open and bounce off what everyone gives, try not to limit myself too much outside the kind of atmosphere I'm down to create. :)

Innocence

Phaia, thanks for posting the Tabletop videos =D That's actually what got me into Fiasco, haha.

In regards to the Tilt table I'm thinking of creating my own set of unforeseeable circumstances based on what happens in the roleplay. 
In regards to characters, I would recommend not being too set on what you want your character to be like.  It's good to have ideas but be warned that depending on the initial dice roll and how other players want to build their relationships with your character things may change. 

At the moment it seems like we have six interested parties.  I'm going to cap the limit at this point since if we have too many players then the initial set up could take ages since we have to set up in turns.  The reason we take turns is because we have to use up the dice that's been rolled to establish relationships.
1. Innocence
2. Ron Don Volante
3. wander
4. RedEve
5. Phaia
6. Faeli

If you are still eager please confirm.
I'll create two threads later tonight (The set up/OOC thread and the Act 1 roleplay thread), I'll roll 4 x number of players in dice, then we can begin building our relationships.  Since the set up is turn based and players can only establish relationships with their adjacent players, I'd going to set the rule that player 1 can establish relationships with players 2 and 6, player 2 can establish relationships with players 3 and 1, and so forth.  When you want to establish a relationship with an adjacent player, you must use the playset relationships (will post in the thread) and find a dice with an appropriate number. 

Faeli

I have not randomly become less eager within the last few hours, lol :P

And I don't have much in mind for a character yet since the setting REALLY matters for that, hehe.

I am game for just about anything though!

RedEve

I am still interested, if you don't mind providing a bit of help with the system aspects.

Faeli

I don't mind Eve!  I'm glad to finally get to play with you, lol

RedEve

Thanks!

I will watch those Will Wheaton videos when I get home, I guess I will understand it all a bit more after that?

Faeli

It certainly helps.

Biggest thing to know, going in, is that Fiasco is a system devoted to telling an interesting story.  Most RPGs have you really try and embody your character, but Fiasco is way more interested in working with the other players to twist the situation and make the game as fun as possible, even if that might do -terrible- things to the characters in question :P

Again, think back to Coen Brothers movies... very often all the characters involved end up worse off... but damn is the ride fun to watch ;)

wander

I am in!

I'll be out for a spell today, though I'll be back in later and it shouldn't throw a wrench in the works too much, given time zones. Very excited to see what I can throw into the mix and what others do in regards to my own character!

Innocence

Awesome ladies =]

RedEve, we'll try to help explain the system as best as possible.  Really the only technical stuff will be at the beginning while we sort out relationships and needs and so forth.  The first and second act will be just like any other normal roleplay on E =]

Innocence

wander - Awesome =] Thanks for confirming.

On another note, would players like the IRL time duration for Act 1 [all scenes] to be one month or longer?
I'm not sure how active we all are going to be so I want to make this a rather short campaign.  On average if a player is on E 2 to 3 times a week then I think one month should be enough for a good roleplay.  However, if players are relatively inactive and can only make one post once a week I'll have to reconsider. 

Faeli

I've been thinking about that... since Fiasco features a lot of scenes between only some players, we may want to limit RP's to a set number of posts so keep the game moving

Innocence

Quote from: Faeli on October 27, 2015, 05:00:18 AM
I've been thinking about that... since Fiasco features a lot of scenes between only some players, we may want to limit RP's to a set number of posts so keep the game moving

What would be an appropriate number?
I think I'll wait to see everyone's availability.  Likelihood, this is going to be a short campaign.  But if it goes well hopefully I can run another one that goes for longer and will have more Acts. =]

Also, check first post for link to set up/OOC thread. 
Faeli, I've listed you as player 2 since you were the first to confirm after giving interest. =] Do you want to start setting up our relationship now?

Ron Don Volante

I can do 1-2 posts a week but I'm going to go out of my way to make sure that this gets a lot of attention (which I can do now that I'm finally catching up to my owed posts in other solo games).