Falls over laughing

Started by Thesunmaid, September 05, 2013, 04:07:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kylie

Quote from: Oniya on September 10, 2013, 11:15:22 PM
Of course, there's always the option for people to take it upon themselves to take a step back and remember to be civil to one another before staff intervenes.
Not sure where you're going with this exactly.  If Iniq says the OP is already uncivil because it brought up the joke and the amusement at it... 

And if Pumpkin says well this belonged in G&C... 

But come to think of it, I wonder if this wouldn't have been pushed back here if it were originally in G&C just because it mentions religion and religion does often get at least that much preemptive caution (it's in the section title after all, P&R, already putatively treating it as "on par" with so many social issues that are about more specific, tangible, and quantifiable matters)...

We run into an impasse given that we seem to disagree about what civility would require (I don't think it should require "witness" in my house or just maybe saying 'thank you for speaking to me' etc. for something I don't really hold interest in, but maybe Iniq does, on and on with various other possible formulae). 

And staff going and trying to act on that, can be nothing particularly moral or settling the matter any better, but simply a matter of who used enough language like "uncivil," how forcefully, that they decided to favor one position and not another -- or just that they couldn't stand having people argue any more (at the moment that is -- these things tend to come back later).  It does happen, imo.

Iniquitous

After time away to deal with familial issues…

1. I am in the US
2. I am not christian
3. I am not conservative

With that said.

I found the OP to be rude and immature.
I found the OP coming on here to brag about what she did to be extremely childish.

It is the second of those that bugs me the most because it shows that she knew she’d get, as someone else pointed out, validation for her actions.

Moving on.

I have no issue with humor - but I do not find humor at the expense of someone else to be funny. And in my opinion, using someone’s sincere belief to make a joke just because you don’t have the gonads/are in a bad mood/hate religion/whatever is incredibly rude.

I do not expect everyone else to follow the standards that I live by. But I cannot stand the mocking of other people’s beliefs. Trust and believe I get enough of it since I live in the bible belt and am not christian.

And with that said…

If it was not noticed, and I do not see how it wasn’t, I did step away of my own choice. Mainly because I grow sick and tired of trying to explain why I found this whole situation to be offensive. Just as I find it mildly offensive to have you implying that I’d be running to the admin.
Bow to the Queen; I'm the Alpha, the Omega, everything in between.

kylie

Saw a zillion cupcakes that were kitties earlier.  Finally satisfies own pickiness about the "hugging" part:

I rather like the feisty, rather demonic looking kitty too.  Please no protest about someone's solemn beliefs being violated, when it shows up in a very silly roleplay.  We might even tackle global warming and thus do something useful there -- you know, those demons can be really, really sexy hot...  Would never happen on E right...  I mean, who knows who might be offended.  >:)

kylie

Trying to rephrase something simply:  You don't have to identify as Christian, conservative, or be in the US.  I don't care.  Guessing what you say you are, is not the point at all.  (If I came across as if it was, then I was wasting time.  Fine.)  You can still be making a kind of argument or claim that many people who do happen to identify as those things, share. 

And following that line can still lead toward censorship and persecution.  Iran is just one infamous case of  a similar prohibitive logic getting a great deal of (imo, way too much) influence.

lilhobbit37

Just a note, all humor is at the expense of someone.

The chicken may not like everyone questioning his motives for crossing the road.

Absurd? Yes, but the point is simply, every joke is about someone or something. It will be offensive to someone or something if someone tries to find the offensive part.

Thus why comedians make fun of themselves first. Because if you can laugh at yourself, everything else you say MUST be ok.

And yes, there are LOTS of people who laugh about lgbt issues. I'm lesbian, and I'll laugh at a decent joke about gay marriage. Why? Because the whole point of humor is that someone IS the butt of the joke.

In this case? The mormon was NOT directly harmed. The joke wasn't ABOUT him, it was simply directed at him. It was a simply haha about well just because you think A is real, doesn't mean I don't think B is real.

She could have said many much worse jokes that would have questioned his faith, beliefs, or personal character. She did none of those things. She made a silly joke about unicorns.

This joke did not harm anyone in anyway (except those hardcore people who really hate unicorns apparently) and did what it was intended to.

Whether or not you like that she posted here, the fact is she did NOT bash religion in anyway. In fact, she simply used a joke to emphasize that not all people believe in what that person did. No harm, no foul. If it made her laugh, great, but if she hadn't laughed, would it be creating such drama?

If she had said instead that she pointed out to him that she might believe in unicorns, and were they in heaven too, but then went about her day WITHOUT laughing, then it would be ok? Because she wasn't "making the joke on him" but was asking a serious question?

Everyone is jumping onto the fact that there were 2 people in her group and 1 in his, therefore she MUST have been attacking him because of superiority in numbers. But the fact is she very well might have said the same thing alone, simply to get him not to say his speech. That her friend was there could very well just happen to be part of the story. Many posters here have said as much. That they SOLO would have said something similar or along the same tone. So the fact 2 people were involved is hardly reason to turn a joke into an attack.

Oniya

At this point, I'm not talking about the OP's actions towards the Mormon.  Or anyone's actions towards a door-to-door witnesser.  It's been pointed out  that the same positions on both sides have been repeated numerous times, with neither side gaining any ground.  In chess, that's called a stalemate.  It means no one is going to 'win', no matter how long it is drawn out, even with the attempts that have been actively made to change directions. 

People disagree on this.  Sitting here trying to get the 'last word in' on the subject isn't going to change that.  Sniping at other forum members is definitely not going to change that.  If you can debate a topic without resorting to that, more power to you.  That's what this area is for.  If it comes down to pointing a finger and saying 'That person started it' - which I have personally seen in this thread in the past few pages - then it is no longer debate. 
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Kythia

Quote from: Shjade on September 10, 2013, 11:24:37 PM
You're right, Pumpkin, that's exactly what I said.  ::)

It's more like, "if you shout 'fire,' expect people to show up with hoses."

It wasn't hoses though, it was matchsticks and kerosene. ;D

Edit:  Huh, what do you know.  Failed to successfully use copy and paste.  Apparently not capable of operating notepad successfully until I've had my morning...well, lets not go in to what my morning wake up consists of.

Anyway.  The point I meant to make was simply to agree, as I said before, that this particular thread hasn't been a particularly heinous example if its been an example at all.  I'm talking more about the culture of PROC in general rather than this specific thread.

kylie

If it had gone into G&C instead, would it really have stayed there?  I'm curious because it seems to me that things involving anything to do with religion tend to get pushed over here (or at least they used to).  And once they're here, anyone can say "Look, we're supposed to be critical here and I can't stand anyone making any light of this situation whatsoever."  It's not what I would call critical thinking so much as moralizing, but if someone is going to say civil society means monkish seriousness about everything, well it's another shade of criticism. 

In that case, where could people expect to vent and laugh a little when it comes to religion?  I'm just wondering if we don't already have a shade of demand for self-censorship already built in, the way this thing has flowed.   

Pumpkin Seeds

It could easily have stayed in G&C.  I have seen threads involving complaints about religion posted up in Bad and Ugly and similarly seen humor presented over at G&C. 

Braioch

Quote from: Oniya on September 11, 2013, 12:32:09 AM
At this point, I'm not talking about the OP's actions towards the Mormon.  Or anyone's actions towards a door-to-door witnesser.  It's been pointed out  that the same positions on both sides have been repeated numerous times, with neither side gaining any ground.  In chess, that's called a stalemate.  It means no one is going to 'win', no matter how long it is drawn out, even with the attempts that have been actively made to change directions. 

People disagree on this.  Sitting here trying to get the 'last word in' on the subject isn't going to change that.  Sniping at other forum members is definitely not going to change that.  If you can debate a topic without resorting to that, more power to you.  That's what this area is for.  If it comes down to pointing a finger and saying 'That person started it' - which I have personally seen in this thread in the past few pages - then it is no longer debate.

This.

This is why I wash my hands of this thread and am thoroughly finished with these circular arguments and the shenanigans. Fare thee well ladies and gents, I shall return to my world of sexy men, humor and tiny adorable animals.

No seriously, have you watched videos of baby hippos? Makes everything else seem inconsequential.
I'm also on Discord (like, all the time), so feel free to ask about that if you want

[tr]
   [td]
[/td]
   [td]
[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

Cyrano Johnson

Quote from: Braioch on September 11, 2013, 09:12:25 AMNo seriously, have you watched videos of baby hippos? Makes everything else seem inconsequential.

I was this close to diverting it into a LOLcats thread. Fuckin' shame.
Artichoke the gorilla halibut! Freedom! Remember Bubba the Love Sponge!

Cyrano Johnson's ONs & OFFs
Cyrano Johnson's Apologies & Absences

Imogen

Quote from: Cyrano Johnson on September 11, 2013, 09:19:18 AM
I was this close to diverting it into a LOLcats thread. Fuckin' shame.

Lolcats and baby hippos should be able to co-exist in this thread!
[tr][td]
[/td]
[td][/td]
[td]Woo's and Won'ts / Absences
Stor-E Writers Registry[/td]
[td][/td]
[td][/td]
[/tr][/table]

Cyrano Johnson

Quote from: lilhobbit37 on September 11, 2013, 12:31:47 AMAnd yes, there are LOTS of people who laugh about lgbt issues. I'm lesbian, and I'll laugh at a decent joke about gay marriage. Why? Because the whole point of humor is that someone IS the butt of the joke.

See if I can get this one in before we finally lock the thread:

"What does a lesbian bring on a second date?"

[wait for it]

"A U-Haul."

[BAH-dump-CHING!]

(An oldie but a goodie. Learned that one from the same lesbian friend who gave me the first Ani DiFranco mixtape I ever heard.)

Cyrano Johnson

Quote from: Imogen on September 11, 2013, 09:44:29 AM
Lolcats and baby hippos should be able to co-exist in this thread!

It's true! But what can you do, some kittens really get mean.

Kythia

Quote from: Cyrano Johnson on September 11, 2013, 09:45:13 AM
See if I can get this one in before we finally lock the thread:

"What does a lesbian bring on a second date?"

[wait for it]

"A U-Haul."

[BAH-dump-CHING!]

(An oldie but a goodie. Learned that one from the same lesbian friend who gave me the first Ani DiFranco mixtape I ever heard.)

I don't get it?

Two dogs sat in a park.  First one says "Hey, did you see the football over the weekend?"  Second says "Fuck me!  A talking dog!"

Cyrano Johnson

... the U-Haul is cuz they're moving in together, see.

(Love that talking dog one.)

Kythia

Huh, looks like there's a cultural stereotype of lesbians I've missed there.  Didn't know that was a thing. 

Cyrano Johnson

Quote from: Kythia on September 11, 2013, 09:54:50 AMHuh, looks like there's a cultural stereotype of lesbians I've missed there.  Didn't know that was a thing.

It was a bit of an in-joke. I myself probably would never have encountered it had I not successfully approached the Lesbian Tribe and gotten one of them to approach and groom me*.

* Little Jane Goodall humour there, which admittedly might be pushing the envelope.

Kythia

I tried, I really did.  I covered myself in their urine so I'd smell like one of them and they'd accept me.  For some reason though ambushing someone, forcing them to piss in a bucket, pouring said bucket over myself then attempting to talk to her friends didn't seem to ingratiate me.  *shrug* 

Cyrano Johnson

Quote from: Kythia on September 11, 2013, 10:06:56 AM
I tried, I really did.  I covered myself in their urine so I'd smell like one of them and they'd accept me.  For some reason though ambushing someone, forcing them to piss in a bucket, pouring said bucket over myself then attempting to talk to her friends didn't seem to ingratiate me.  *shrug*

Some people are so picky, honestly. I'll never understand it.

Thesunmaid

Well for anyone who gets mad at me for saying this..I have no problems with people having religion in their lives. I am happy for people who are satisfied with their worship. Good for them that they have found something in their life to believe in. But most of the time the ones who come up to me asking if I found Jesus tend to get obnoxious and self righteous when you tell them politely no thank you. I have seen this guy around at the parks where they hold their listen to us preach and we will tell you your going to hell meetings they hold monthly in the middle of a very public town square.Its a very publicly obnoxious church in the area.

I did not make fun of his religion...I did not mock him in anyway..and to me..finding out that unicorns are real would be darn good news. But seriously...religion is like a penis..its all well and good to have one...but you really should not wave it about in public and don't try and shove it down my throat.

Also as for the whole knowing what he would say..the white shirt..black pants book of Mormon in his hand and little name tag that said elder so and so..tipped me off to the fact he wanted to tell me he loves him some Jesus. I am an atheist...I don't get pissed off at my friends that are religious and I have actually in the past had one ask if it was all right for them to pray over their meal because they did not want to offend me. I have also talked with a lot of people about different religions because not that i believe but i do from a historical stand point find it interesting. As well as finding out what the religion means to them is also interesting.These types are fine with me...its the ones who seem to want to insinuate that I eat babies and roast puppies over an open fire because I choose to believe in Darwin over Jesus. I didn't say anything nasty...I didn't say anything to put him down..and he looked bewildered but he was not insulted...so..I am doing better than some other times.I get that the ones I get annoyed with are a very small minority.

I have also had one say "Have you accepted Jesus as your personal savior? and when I replied "no thank you."they followed me trying to shove pamphlets in my hand and I spun around and smiled saying"No I have not accepted him as my personal savior...but if you would like to let Mr Christ know we are still taking resumes and will be conducting interviews early next week."

I don't choose to get vulgar or angry..I simply say things to throw them off and they tend to stand there looking confused and then I smile...tell them to have a nice day and walk away. Some of them are out to save my soul whether I like it or not...so throwing them off by saying something odd I think is better than telling them where to stick their bible.

Have I mentioned my best friend in high school was a devout catholic and the people I game with are Christians? I do have religious friends...I do not mock their choices and they accept mine...I don't mind God in any of his incarnations...its his fan boys and girls I can't stand.

Kylie

Heheh I saved that picture of the demon kitten and the cupcake...that is just too dam cute.And also bring on the LOL cats and babie hippos!
Some mornings its just not worth chewing through the leather straps.
Current Status for posts: working on them Current Status for RP:Tentatively looking

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Cyrano Johnson on September 11, 2013, 09:52:46 AM
... the U-Haul is cuz they're moving in together, see.

(Love that talking dog one.)

I once googled "Dykes in Dallas" (somehow inspired by both the tv series and the pseudo junk title Debbie does Dallas) and got two hits, one of them an ad for a firm doing sewers and dikes in Texas, the other one a gossip notice about a reporter who, in her student days,  "used to hang out with a gang of leather dykes in Dallas".

A lesbian friend commented: "apparently lesbianism is well entrenched in Texas".  ;D

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"