How to run a system game?

Started by Ptolemy, October 21, 2009, 06:36:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sydonai

yup I came from a freeform background, which would've explain why it looks so complicated to me ;D

so now all we need to do is to convert this to a more medieval fantasy settings :o although if it does, that means we can cut out many of the phases like exploration and movement phases(unless we're going to have a map for a the forum rp).

HairyHeretic

Well, the background to my campaign is basically that your race is just moving out past your own system, so you get to explore and colonise a bit before likely running into the other players.

As regards movement, well, your army isn't likely to do much just sitting there, and scouting cavalry (or fliers) are going to move a lot faster than heavy infantry on foot.

I suppose it might be possible to convert the basic frame work over to a fantasy setup, but it would pretty much mean rebuilding it from the ground up, considering the stuff you can research, build or customise is all sci fi.

If you want to go fantasy, that Exalted one probably isn't a bad place to start. I can take a look around, I may have other stuff lurking on my hard drive that is suitable, or adaptable.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Sydonai

Quote from: HairyHeretic on December 01, 2009, 01:24:49 PM
If you want to go fantasy, that Exalted one probably isn't a bad place to start. I can take a look around, I may have other stuff lurking on my hard drive that is suitable, or adaptable.

That would be much appreciated and yeah I'm still in the process of twisting the Exalted's game rules a bit to better suit a forum rp, although actually what I'm looking for is a very simple system geared towards post-by-post rp without the need for complicated and detailed nation-governing system and without the need for map system where players can see armies and agents movements, that would in my opinion make a forum-based-freeform rp much more muddled up and confusing.

Thufir Hawat

Quote from: Sydonai on November 29, 2009, 09:58:06 PM
Got a question here, is there a rp system for role playing as an entire kingdom instead of the usual one character? preferably medieval fantasy settings? I would love to learn about the system(if it exists) and perhaps even start a game with it.
Can I suggest Reign? It's an RPG, it already covers nicely organizations and the actions of individual characters, and how one influences the other, which sounds like what you need ;D.
Also, it's got a nice setting, and if you don't want to use it, you can still use the system.
Join The System Gamers List
Request thread 1 Request thread 2
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs
"Love is a negative form of hatred." - Roger Zelazny, This Immortal

A&A thread!

Sydonai

cool! thanks for the suggestion, but I'd be deeply indebted if you can provide me a link to its rulebook perhaps? ;D I've tried searching it but to no avail

Thufir Hawat

Well, you should start here, I guess.
http://www.gregstolze.com/reign/
You can also taste some free materials here.
http://www.gregstolze.com/reign/downloads/FirstYearColor.pdf
http://www.gregstolze.com/reign/downloads/2YoORInterior.pdf

The basic rules are not free, but then, neither are the other suggestions :P.
Join The System Gamers List
Request thread 1 Request thread 2
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs
"Love is a negative form of hatred." - Roger Zelazny, This Immortal

A&A thread!