Legend of the Five Rings

Started by Tonalberry, August 12, 2010, 04:45:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonalberry

So, for a while now, I've been wanting to give this game a try.  Problem is, I haven't been able to find a group here in r/l to play it with.  Now that I'm back here on E, I thought I'd ask and see if anyone would be interested in joining and GMing.  It wouldn't have to be an erotic game, but if erotic situations turned up, I certainly wouldn't throw a fit.

So, anyone here know how to and is willing to give GMing it a shot, and is there anyone willing to join in?

HairyHeretic

I've been considering giving the City of Lies campaign another run, but I need to figure out if I have time for it first.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Tonalberry

Cool.  I'm sure you're a busy man, but if you find you have the time for it, I'd appreciate you considering it.  I've never gotten to get into a group game here, all the ones I've tried have all fallen apart, and I'm really interested in LoFR.

Tydorei

Legend of the five rings... I just wanted to make sure you all are referring to that asian themed game. If so, I like that system and would interested.

Tonalberry

Yeah, the one where everyone's a samurai, or shugenja (think sorcerer/wizard), or noble, or whatever.

Muse

A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Tonalberry

Outside of E, I'm not really the best roleplayer.  I don't really get into my character too much, but I try, and I do more than just say "I hit it with my sword" and so on.  And I think LoFR is a more rp heavy game, which is good, because I want to be a better roleplayer.

Marie Reynolds

Im down with this! Monkey Clan For the win!

HairyHeretic

I would point out that L5R can be a very subtle system, and it's not simply what is said that counts, as how it is said. The mindset of a samurai is very different to a standard 'western' game. If you're new to the setting, it can take a fair bit of getting used to.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Marie Reynolds

Well my advice would be to a new player find a clan close to your sensiblities and philosophies in real life and use that as a base for your first character.  It just might help you immerse your self in the character. Also an important thing just dont read the first few lines of a clan or a family read as much as you can it will help you flesh out your character a great deal and if you need any help Tonalberry feel free to ask.

Tonalberry

Well, if HH finds the time and the willingness to run a campaign, I'm assuming it'd be 2nd edition, since 3rd just came out, right?  I'll read up on the book, but I'll hold off on trying to make any characters until he knows for sure he can and wants to do this.

Marie Reynolds

Actually third has been out for a while third ed revised is new.

Tonalberry

Ohh.  I only know about it from /tg/ on 4chan, really, I thought I heard that 3rd is the newest.

Marie Reynolds

Well there also i believe 4th ed is on the shelves or in production

Tonalberry

I'm not sure.  I'll have to check what they have at the game store when I go back for the next D&D Encounters session.  I think they got rid of all the older stuff, to make room for whatever's newest, cause when I looked, I couldn't find anything but whatever the new edition's core book on the New Stuff shelf.

Marie Reynolds

But i havent heard to many positvie things about fourth ed honestly you do best to stick to third edition

Tonalberry

I can always ask /tg/ about it, since I'm there right now.  I know there's 4th ed for D&D and Shadowrun.

HairyHeretic

I've played L5R since 1st ed, and frankly 2nd ed was the weakest version. If you've played 3rd ed, then 4th ed will be fairly familiar in terms of mechanics. I would prefer to play with 4th ed, though not everyone may have those books yet (it's not that long out). 3rd ed revised is possible, but I wouldn't play 2nd ed (It's too far back, I don't have the books, and didn't like it much anyway).

If you have the 3rd ed books, you can build a 4th ed character with some assistance from the GM.

I haven't played much 4th ed yet, but it did tidy a few things up from 3rd ed, and generally I like what I see of it.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Tonalberry

I have the 3rd ed books as .pdf's on my computer, but if you would prefer to play 4th, I can go and pick up a copy at the game store.  I should make enough from tips tonight and tomorrow that that wouldn't be a problem.  Do you think you have the time to run a campaign?

HairyHeretic

Time is the real issue. If you want to get the 4th ed book, I think it's worth picking up. If you want to get it because you think I'll run a game, I'd say hold off. I don't want you spending your hard earned cash, then me having to back out :)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Tonalberry

Fair enough.  But if you ever find you have the time, and you feel like running one, I hope you'll let me know.  Or if anyone wants to run one.

Pumpkin Seeds

Just got the 4th edition book.  I've loved this game for a long time so count me in if you decide to do something.

HairyHeretic

It's something I would like to do. I also would like to run an Exalted game, with the Return of the Scarlett Empress. Time is the issue on all counts :)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Tonalberry

I can understand that.  And Exalted is another game I want to really try.  I played in a mortals game once, where we started out as just plain jane mortals, not even heroic ones.  we eventually reached the same level as heroic mortals, but the game just died out from people not being able to show up.

I'm lucky in that I work in the evenings, around 5 hours each night, so I pretty much always have time.

Empyrean

I've heard of this game and it sounds interesting. :) I'll follow this thread and see if a game gets started.