News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Censorship of the Female Nipple

Started by Mikem, June 30, 2015, 02:05:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mikem

This is a rant I've had for a long time, but just now I'm browsing articles and of course I click on one talking about a nude photoshoot (don't judge me) and I see the following image which just, I mean I guess it's because I'm mostly a Liberal but still, it infuriates the Hell out of me.

Apparently, this kind of censorship is perfectly fine and normal and completely safe in the eyes of society. Don't even get me on what exactly is censored. In terms of comparing our bodies, the nipple is one of the most unisex body parts on a Human being. They look exactly the same, and yet when it's on a woman, it's suddenly so horrible to see that it has to be covered up.

But what about the rest of the breast? You know, the mammary glands that are enlarged and prominant and bouncy and deliciously there? Oh, no go ahead and leave those be, they're fine. Just don't you dare show those nipples. But, what about the guy's nipples?

What about them?  :-\

Don't you think this is just plain rediculous? If they insist on censoring the female body, they should just censor the whole breast, instead of just putting a little dot over the nip and calling it good. It's pointless and frankly I don't see the harm in seeing a woman in the nude. We're Humans, we're not that special. There's Males and Females, that's it. Not to mention if we didn't treat a girl's body as this forbidden thing, then the more dangerous urges for it wouldn't be so much of a problem. Desensitivity needs to be a thing.

Your thoughts?
"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions. So why not take the scenic route?"

My Ons & Offs

Far eyes

My taught on this are the same as any sort of censoring, its fucking stupid. We all know whats there, just like we all know what gets said when it goes "PEEEEP" its a pointless exercise.

What a man says: "Through roleplaying, I want to explore the reality of the female experience and gain a better understanding of what it means to be a woman."

What he means: "I like lesbians".
A/A
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=180557.0

TaintedAndDelish

Seriously, I think this is because of male religious folks who don't want to get boners from looking at female tits and nipples for fear of being smitten by the lord - who does not approve of untamed erections. That or perhaps its a control thing - like not wanting to feel out of control with a raging boner or something. Yes, it's pretty stupid. A male nipple is basically the same except hetero males wont get boners looking at them, so like .. it's like, safe or something.

I'm proud to say that in New York, a woman can go topless anywhere that a man can go topless - nipples and all. That's right, a woman can peel off her top and let those fleshy sweater midgets spring out and bounce all over the place in parks, on beaches, or even on the sidewalks. Unfortunately, I have to say that the majority of folks ( male and female ) are better off just keeping their shirts on. Time can be cruel.  :p

Free the nipple!

Far eyes

Quote from: TaintedAndDelish on June 30, 2015, 03:53:48 AM
Seriously, I think this is because of male religious folks who don't want to get boners from looking at female tits and nipples for fear of being smitten by the lord

Do you really think this has any impact on it what so ever?
What a man says: "Through roleplaying, I want to explore the reality of the female experience and gain a better understanding of what it means to be a woman."

A/A

TaintedAndDelish

Seriously? yes. I think this is a religious/cultural thing and that its religious heterosexual male figures who have made such a ridiculous stink about female nudity. I can't back that up with evidence or studies or anything, so just treat it as an opinion.

Lustful Bride

I personally wouldn't want my young kids seeing nipples on TV or elsewhere, but then again I wouldn't let my kids see rap videos or anything like that until they were around 11. *shrugs*

Aethereal

The nipple is a part of human body, present on both males and females. It's 100% natural. It's not scary, intimidating, or otherwise harmful to children or adults. A child who has seen a thousand nipples before hitting 12 will be just as fine and potentially more comfortable with their own body than those who haven't seen any. I personally both went to public beaches topless when I was a child (along with my (grand)parents) and saw plenty of nipples on other people, too, and the society did not collapse from that, either. It is utterly ridiculous that society would decide to censor something as, well, harmless and natural...

Caehlim

I don't understand it personally. Children drink from those, they're capable of seeing them without being scarred by the experience.
My home is not a place, it is people.
View my Ons and Offs page.

View my (new)Apologies and Absences thread or my Ideas thread.

Mikem

I would like to ask, does the Female body even deserve to be censored?

To be frank, it's just a different version of the Male body, which in itself is a different version of the Female body. And yet the Male body has no stigma attached to it being shown publicly, just as long as our dongs aren't swaying in the breeze. For our sexual reproductive organs I can understand, those are the most biologically differing body parts we have, the Vagina being Men's counterpart. But the Breasts, albeit being enlarged for women, are just the same as what Men have. And hey, if a guy eats enough, he can have some moobs that dwarf a lot of girl's natural Mammary glands...

The major argument people who are for the censorship would be the sexual attraction we men have to breasts, and that "most of us" can't restrain ourselves when in their presence. Maybe we wouldn't be in such a dire need to see them if they weren't treated as forbidden fruits that need to be kept out of our reach. Like I said before, Desensitizing needs to be a thing.
"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions. So why not take the scenic route?"

My Ons & Offs

TaintedAndDelish

Would it make sense for men to have to wear bags over their heads because women could not control their sexual impulses when seeing a man's *naked* face? It sounds kind of silly, but I think this is basically the same thing.

Far eyes

Hey maybe she is a member of the KKK and its only a part of the uniform? Dont judge people just because they ware bags over there heads, judge them for being idiots underneath being wrong is not race, class or sex related.   

A/A

Thesunmaid

I remembered a few years ago..(quite a few years I am old. I remember when MTV played music) But this was a huge controversy over a video of Radio heads. Paranoid android.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPLEbAVjiLA

We in Canada have our own version if MTV called much music...I remember this debate because they actually had an entire half hour to the discussion of people wanting to ban the video in america because of a scene with cartoon nipples. Yes in a video cartoon nipples caused an uproar. The thing about it was in the video there was a part that upset a few Canadian parents but it wasn't the nipples..at 5.27 a guy takes off all his clothes wearing a spiked G string puts on a zorro mask and proceeds to accidentally cut off all this limbs with an ax. (its radio head and it was the early 2000's so the video was a bit weird.) and then gasp! at 5.41 two mermaids with bare breasts save him and show cartoon nipples.

I don't know what MTV did but Much music continued to play the video uncensored because it was a cartoon...it was a video and it was meant to make a statement..albeit a slightly weird one. But the people were sort of confused at how they had no problem with a guy cutting off his own arms and legs but were offended by nipples...and the mermaids were not even doing anything sexual. They swam down to the limbless man and wrapped him up in a cloth and pulled him out of the water. They are mermaids...they are supposed to be by all story's not Disney be bare breasted. But this apparently caused a huge uproar for some people.

Also Guys can walk around topless and I have seen men with boobs bigger than mine but mine are the offensive ones if I decide to wear a low cut shirt because its hot out?  Gah!

I just think personally let the nipples show...stop being so freaked out about skin. I personally would rather have my kids watch a bare breasted woman doing something in every day life than someone chopping off thier own limbs or blowing someone's head off. But sadly its all out there...and all I can do it teach my kid there is nothing wrong with his body..there's nothing wrong with a girls body and they both should be respected. But I guess I am lucky since my youngest one is still in the" girls are gross and I don't want a girlfriend ever!" stage still...sighs he is growing up way too fast.

On his tablet he got curious about sex and tried looking things up. So we will have the talk with him but i am not going to be one of those parents that make him think his curiosity is dirty or bad...so let the nipples out. And if they can't then make guys wear pasties...which would actually amuse the living shit out of me personally and probably shine a spot light on how stupid it is to censor them.
Some mornings its just not worth chewing through the leather straps.
Current Status for posts: working on them Current Status for RP:Tentatively looking

Oniya

Quote from: Thesunmaid on July 01, 2015, 01:21:32 PM
On his tablet he got curious about sex and tried looking things up. So we will have the talk with him but i am not going to be one of those parents that make him think his curiosity is dirty or bad...so let the nipples out. And if they can't then make guys wear pasties...which would actually amuse the living shit out of me personally and probably shine a spot light on how stupid it is to censor them.

I think this could be an amusing campaign.  Pictures of men wearing pasties, or posed in those awkward 'modest-Venus' contortions to cover their chests, or photo-blurred (even more obvious on a bearish guy!).  Willing participants, of course.

I have to say that the 'nipple dot' censorship reminds me of the tiny lines you see in NSFW mangas.  News flash:  You're not really hiding anything with that!
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Drake Valentine

Quote from: Oniya on July 01, 2015, 02:54:50 PM
I have to say that the 'nipple dot' censorship reminds me of the tiny lines you see in NSFW mangas.  News flash:  You're not really hiding anything with that!

Yea, they should be more creative and give them large, yellow, smilie faces. xD

"When I'm Done With You, You'll Be a:
Raped, Bloody, And Humiliated, Little Alice in Wonderland."

Introduction | O&Os | O&Os2 | IM RP Request(Canceled 04/11/2010) | A&As(Updated 10/29/13) | Solo RP Request (Updated 09/20/14)
Pale Eclipse - Group Game Project{Paused} 

Oniya

Quote from: Drake Valentine on July 01, 2015, 04:05:32 PM
Yea, they should be more creative and give them large, yellow, smilie faces. xD

In both cases!  Or maybe the :o face?  So many possibilities...
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Far eyes

Also lets not forget this little chunk of nonsense

A/A

Drake Valentine

Quote from: Oniya on July 01, 2015, 04:08:18 PM
In both cases!  Or maybe the :o face?  So many possibilities...

Or frownies or tearie eye faces. ;o

But on more serious note.

Way I see it is this.

A nipple is a nipple.

Men have nipples.

Women have nipples.

How is a topless man any less offensive than a topless woman? Because women have 'breasts?' What of the men that have 'manboobs?' ;o Couldn't censoring the female nipple equally be considered as sexism when such is not treated similar to the male counterpart? After all, a chest is a chest, just some are more curvy and rounder than others.  ::)

Introduction | O&Os | O&Os2 | IM RP Request(Canceled 04/11/2010) | A&As(Updated 10/29/13) | Solo RP Request (Updated 09/20/14)

Oniya

It's the same 'reason' that people get all bent out of shape when a woman breast-feeds in public (never mind the fact that the baby's head is bigger than some of the aforementioned pasties - or even some bikini tops!)

Drake Valentine

Quote from: Oniya on July 01, 2015, 08:30:37 PM
It's the same 'reason' that people get all bent out of shape when a woman breast-feeds in public (never mind the fact that the baby's head is bigger than some of the aforementioned pasties - or even some bikini tops!)

Cause they don't like giving babies natural milk. ;o

Mikem

Do you think the current era has something to do with all this? As Society advanced I've seen more and more people open up to liberal discussions and progressive changes. I know that this discussion would be drastically different back in my mother's time, which would be the 60's and 70's. I'm just sad that it's taken us this long to get around to this.

QuoteI just think personally let the nipples show...stop being so freaked out about skin. I personally would rather have my kids watch a bare breasted woman doing something in every day life than someone chopping off their own limbs or blowing someone's head off. But sadly its all out there...and all I can do it teach my kid there is nothing wrong with his body..there's nothing wrong with a girls body and they both should be respected.

That's exactly what needs to start happening. Everything we do is based off what we learn from our parents. They help guide our minds when we're young and absorbing everything we experience. If we were exposed and taught that female bodies were as normal as breathing, we wouldn't attach this feeling of wonder and amazement to them. I mean really our sexual desires are hardwired anyway. We'll always be sexually attracted to the Human body, but it's the intensity of attraction we can help "modify". Personally, when I started spending a lot of time around my Ex, I was becoming more and more exposed to the female body, to the point where I started feeling desensitized to seeing her breasts in the open. I was still sexually attracted to her, definitely, but I wasn't getting all heavy breathing and vying for a peek.

My Ons & Offs

Oniya

Quote from: Mikem on July 01, 2015, 10:15:49 PM
Do you think the current era has something to do with all this? As Society advanced I've seen more and more people open up to liberal discussions and progressive changes. I know that this discussion would be drastically different back in my mother's time, which would be the 60's and 70's. I'm just sad that it's taken us this long to get around to this.

Very much so.  When I was fresh out of college, I went to my first Pagan gathering.  I was about three steps inside the campground when I realized that they weren't kidding about 'clothing optional'.  For about half of the first day I rigorously maintained eye-contact with people.  By the end of the second day, it no longer startled me to see someone walking sky-clad down the pathway.

At the end of the weekend, it was traditional for folks to descend on the local Pizza Hut for a little decompression before heading back into our mundane lives.  Not even kidding, one of the commonly-heard lines was 'I didn't recognize you with clothes on.'

TaintedAndDelish

I was looking through several youtube videos to see if I could find a good documentary on going topless in NYC as I thought this would fit in nicely. While looking, I came across one that stood out more because of how creepy some men are than because of all the tits. The gawking in this video is kind of desperate and said. It's the understandable kind of staring that a teen-aged virgin might get caught up in, but for fat old men with white hair, it's kind of pathetic. You can hear one of the women interviewed voicing the same basic sentiment - that she wouldn't typically feel comfortable going topless because of the creeps. I don't mean to sound negative about this, I mean after all, breasts are the spice of life ... but gawking and acting creepy kinda ruins it for everyone. On a lighter note, this does look like a nice opportunity for women with an exhibitionist streak.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8s4OQmroLg0

You can find several more videos of women in NYC going topless in public events here:
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=topless+nyc++2014

Mikem

I was just reminded of a Tobuscus video where he was playing custom levels on that Happy Wheels game. Someone put a picture of a nude anime girl in the level and when he came to it his reaction was priceless.

"Holy no there's-no, BOOBIES! I gotta censor the, CHILDREN-AGH! BOOBIES N' CHILDREN! Ugghhh! Can I post boobies on the Youtube? If so why haven't I been!?"

You can watch his reaction here. I love it but it also strikes a point related to this. Maybe. I think? I dunno it relates and it's awesome.

My Ons & Offs

Drake Valentine

Quote from: TaintedAndDelish on July 02, 2015, 06:12:41 PM
I was looking through several youtube videos to see if I could find a good documentary on going topless in NYC as I thought this would fit in nicely. While looking, I came across one that stood out more because of how creepy some men are than because of all the tits. The gawking in this video is kind of desperate and said. It's the understandable kind of staring that a teen-aged virgin might get caught up in, but for fat old men with white hair, it's kind of pathetic. You can hear one of the women interviewed voicing the same basic sentiment - that she wouldn't typically feel comfortable going topless because of the creeps. I don't mean to sound negative about this, I mean after all, breasts are the spice of life ... but gawking and acting creepy kinda ruins it for everyone. On a lighter note, this does look like a nice opportunity for women with an exhibitionist streak.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8s4OQmroLg0

You can find several more videos of women in NYC going topless in public events here:
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=topless+nyc++2014

"What a good group of mostly dudes." Lawls.

Starstrider

You show blood, guts, gore, violence and language that would make a drunken sailor blush, and nobody bats an eye. Suddenly there's a flash of a nipple and everybody loses their minds. I guess the message society is trying to pass is that violence is acceptable, and even encouraged, but intimacy is sinful and wrong?