Mass Effect 2 (With spoilers!)

Started by Avi, January 15, 2010, 09:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteyChan

Quote from: Geeklet on March 26, 2010, 02:32:05 PM
Scientist Salarian

I totally cracked up when this first hit me...

Yeah! This happened for me the first time earlier today, and I was like, that's awesome! XD

In other news, there are some things that are starting to bug me a bit about ME2 - things that were taken out of ME1. For a start, the elevators. Yes, they were long and awkward, but... were they really any worse than looking at a loading screen? At least the elevators gave level design a flow that's missing in ME2. Not to mention the fact that the elevators gave every level a sense of scale that's missing in ME2 - for example, you could traverse the entire Citadel in ME1 by foot, no need to take the Rapid Transport. Yes, it took ages but that was the point! The Citadel is huge! Now though, you can only go through the wards, which are tiny compared to the wards in ME1, not to mention the fact that the Presidium only goes to the Human Embassy! Taking the elevators out, to me, makes the entire game universe feel a helluva lot smaller. Same thing with the Mako sections - yes the driving mechanics were rubbish, but it added to the scale of the game. Should have kept it in, instead of this resource scanning lark, and improved it.

Also, the lack of an inventory. Ok, yes, the old system was fiddly, but really, Bioware - in a galaxy of that size and population, with this much crime and war and whatever, do you expect me to believe that there are only two/three makes of each type of gun? Give us a bit more variety, please! I don't even like any of the guns you give me (with the exception of the Viper sniper rifle which rocks), so I end up resorting to Biotics - which, while technically more efficient than gunfighting... the Soldier is my class of choice, and I hate playing it now because all the weapons suck!

And, the story line. I think I'm gonna get a lot of flack for this, but... I feel like ME2, while it does have a pretty awesome overall storyline, could have lost a good 8-10 hours from its waistline. The entire game, pretty much, is made up of these "Recruitment" and "Loyalty" missions. Which is fine, for a while, but having to go to various planets, do stuff for like, 9 different characters, then win over all of them by doing the loyalty missions... it just feels kinda pointless. After the first 5 hours or so, on my first run through, I just wanted to get to the main bits! The Collector ship, the derelict Reaper, the suicide run... I know that all the team building stuff has an affect on the endgame, but still. The entire game almost runs more like an expansion pack to ME1, than a sequel. One of those games that developers put out to keep the masses happy while they make the next real sequel (in this case, ME3).

Interrupts are good though, I enjoy punching people.

Geeklet

In response to the elevators.... Take Tali and Garrus to the Citadel together one time, if you haven't already, and wander around until you hear them start talking to each other.

Kasumi Goto is the upcoming DLC character.

Brandon

That sounds promising, I always liked Zaeed so hopefully this new one will be just as awesome. Are they releasing any other DLC content or just a new character?
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Weapon DLC has been streaming out for a bit now. The Hammerhead vehicle DLC just came out, along with a for-pay costume set for Jack, Thane, and Garrus (who all needed a new one desperately, pleasantly). Kasumi is coming out sometime next month. There's also some pointers in the code that indicate a Liara mission set (but not adding her as a character) sometime down the line.

TheWriter

Quotethings that were taken out of ME1
THE MAKO.  God, I hate the Hammerhead.  I knew I had to rush through those missions, otherwise I'd get too fed up with the controls and ignore them, and never get back around to doing them because the daunting crappy controls would put me off.

Zaeed turned out to be awesome, though.  I didn't notice without one, but the crew needed a British hardman.  I'm not too sure about Kasumi, though; having seen her trailer I'm not sold.  I already have cloaking, and I take stuff down quick enough without a smoke grenade.  Besides, she doesn't seem like a character who'd challenge either of Team Dextro for a spot on my party.

Also, a hint about other packs that may be down the line.  Part of me is UUUUUGH, but part of me is SQUEEEE.  That is, if I ever were to squee.

WhiteyChan

Bleh.. Completed it for the second time today - and I have to say, I don't really want to go and do it all again. I probably will, just to try something different (eg romance Kelly Chambers or whatever), but there's really not a lot of incentive to go again. I'm actually started to get bored with it, and that's something that I haven't yet with ME1, even after completing it 4 times! The game is somewhat disappointing me, now..

Aragem

In regards to the story, I think it is very original.  It makes me think of Seven Samurai.

Shepard's goal is always known.  You're not going all over the galaxy to hunt for an enemy and try to figure out what he's up to.  You already know the Collectors are you enemy and you know where they are.  You can easily go through the Omega Relay whenever you want, but if you go too early, it'll be a short game.

The whole point of the game, and the characters such as the Illusive Man and Shepard make it clear that you are going to spend some time getting ready to complete a suicide mission.  I love the loyalty quests.  They make you care for the characters so you want to try hard to get all the necessary upgrades and equipment to make sure that everyone makes it out alive.  No matter whether I am paragon or renegade, I play to get everyone out alive.  I'm a sucker for overcoming the odds stories.

Geeklet

Loud Uncontained Outburst of Ecstasy: Yes, yes, oh god yes.

TheWriter

Biosterously enthusiastic declaration: when it's time to start the party we will always party hard.

Inkidu

Quote from: Aragem on March 30, 2010, 03:10:30 PM
In regards to the story, I think it is very original.  It makes me think of Seven Samurai.

Shepard's goal is always known.  You're not going all over the galaxy to hunt for an enemy and try to figure out what he's up to.  You already know the Collectors are you enemy and you know where they are.  You can easily go through the Omega Relay whenever you want, but if you go too early, it'll be a short game.

The whole point of the game, and the characters such as the Illusive Man and Shepard make it clear that you are going to spend some time getting ready to complete a suicide mission.  I love the loyalty quests.  They make you care for the characters so you want to try hard to get all the necessary upgrades and equipment to make sure that everyone makes it out alive.  No matter whether I am paragon or renegade, I play to get everyone out alive.  I'm a sucker for overcoming the odds stories.
I concur. Some people said the last game's was better because you were trying to figure out what was "going on" in the galaxy. I say nay. You were chasing Saren. Honestly your missions were a little out in left field in ME1. In ME 2 it has a much more cohesive focus.

I just don't think many rpg gamers appreciate the finely-crafted narrow focus. A lot of people are just caught up in sweeping high adventure and junk like that. Bravo Bioware. I still love you.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Idej

Well started using Kasumi on the day she was released and the stuff in that download is pretty cool.  Along with some of the easter eggs that are in her loyalty mission.  But I'm not going to reveal what ya get, besides one thing, Kasumi's room has a bar.

Inkidu

Quote from: Idej on April 08, 2010, 06:21:12 AM
Well started using Kasumi on the day she was released and the stuff in that download is pretty cool.  Along with some of the easter eggs that are in her loyalty mission.  But I'm not going to reveal what ya get, besides one thing, Kasumi's room has a bar.
I'm beginning to get pissed at DLC.

It's going way too far. Why not give you the hammerhead and Kasumi at the initial release? I mean I get Zeed. That's to drum up Cerberus Network but seriously. I feel like I'm paying sixty bucks for three fourths of my games today.

Because you can be guaranteed that there's going to be a DLC! I'll probably end up waiting half a year for it to come out on disk. Not everyone had Xbox Live you know...
It should really be DC anyways because downloadable it one word. 
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

TheWriter

I put most of the blame for that on the pre-owned market.  Every game re-sold by stores like Gamespot is money that the dev team, the guys who made the game, aren't getting for their work.  If it weren't for them, developers wouldn't be so desperate to line their pockets with DLC.  Personally I love the idea of things like the Cerberus Network, rewarding the consumer for going out of their way to get the game new.  If this takes off, the need for DLC may very well one day become less of the necessity that it is now.

Avi

Or at least charging for DLC... if they want to reward people for getting the games new, they can then release the DLC free for those who purchased it.  For those who get it cheaper and used, then charge them for the DLC.
Your reality doesn't apply to me...

Inkidu

Quote from: TheWriter on April 11, 2010, 06:58:11 PM
I put most of the blame for that on the pre-owned market.  Every game re-sold by stores like Gamespot is money that the dev team, the guys who made the game, aren't getting for their work.  If it weren't for them, developers wouldn't be so desperate to line their pockets with DLC.  Personally I love the idea of things like the Cerberus Network, rewarding the consumer for going out of their way to get the game new.  If this takes off, the need for DLC may very well one day become less of the necessity that it is now.
That's kind of mostly backwards.

It's called depreciation. Very few things appreciate in value. Why should I pay sixty bucks for a used title? That's like saying someone should pay full price for a used car because the manufacturer isn't getting his cut. Which is not true either.

Rest assured Game Stop has probably got to pay out of the ass to be able to sell a publisher's game (Bioware probably gets its cut from Microsoft Studios after the deal is done. Contracts and all.) in their store. I think DLC is just a way to milk the consumer for everything he's got because they know if they make a good enough DLC the fans will just eat it up. Plus they don't get penalized for adding something crappy to a game because it's downloaded onto a hard drive.

Hammerhead sucks? Oh well, well we still got our ten bucks! (Example)

TheWriter

As someone who aspires to work with a developing house in the near future, I make the effort to buy my games new, and I don't think it's very fair to compare video games to cars in terms of depreciation, where it's more akin to the music industry.

First off, this is a very basic rundown, the way I see it: games stores generally pay near full price for new stock, they make very little money off new titles.  The bulk of their money is made by paying Joe Gamer chickenfeed for his used stuff then selling it off to Bob Casual for a mint, as well as game guarantees, scratch protection and other nickel and dime stuff.  Whereas with the car industry there's haggling for extras, warranty, etc. games are more like other forms of media: here's our price, take it or leave it, add two bucks for scratch protection.  Bottom line, they take a very small share of new sales, and every cent of a pre-owned sale.  Of course, Joe and Bob will want to buy their games as cheap as possible, so the pre-owned option will always be more appealing, leaving developers out in the cold. 

Pre-owned sales eat a massive chunk out of a game's bottom line, possibly even as much or more than piracy.  If music chains tried to start this I've got no doubt the major record publishers would go after them with the same tenacity as they are software pirates.  I guess the games industry still has the sense of complacency about the issue; who knows, maybe new sales incentives like the Cerberus Network is the first step against the trend.

Quote from: Avi on April 11, 2010, 07:51:03 PM
Or at least charging for DLC... if they want to reward people for getting the games new, they can then release the DLC free for those who purchased it.  For those who get it cheaper and used, then charge them for the DLC.
That's what they did.  Kasumi's Stolen Memory and the extra costumes are the only pieces of truly paid DLC so far; everything else (Zaeed and the loyalty mission and abilities included with, the new Hammerhead vehicle and the four missions included with, and the Normandy memorial site pack) has been free to Cerberus Network members (bought the game new), and paid for those who bought pre-owned.

Inkidu

Quote from: TheWriter on April 13, 2010, 12:35:53 AM
As someone who aspires to work with a developing house in the near future, I make the effort to buy my games new, and I don't think it's very fair to compare video games to cars in terms of depreciation, where it's more akin to the music industry.

First off, this is a very basic rundown, the way I see it: games stores generally pay near full price for new stock, they make very little money off new titles.  The bulk of their money is made by paying Joe Gamer chickenfeed for his used stuff then selling it off to Bob Casual for a mint, as well as game guarantees, scratch protection and other nickel and dime stuff.  Whereas with the car industry there's haggling for extras, warranty, etc. games are more like other forms of media: here's our price, take it or leave it, add two bucks for scratch protection.  Bottom line, they take a very small share of new sales, and every cent of a pre-owned sale.  Of course, Joe and Bob will want to buy their games as cheap as possible, so the pre-owned option will always be more appealing, leaving developers out in the cold. 

Pre-owned sales eat a massive chunk out of a game's bottom line, possibly even as much or more than piracy.  If music chains tried to start this I've got no doubt the major record publishers would go after them with the same tenacity as they are software pirates.  I guess the games industry still has the sense of complacency about the issue; who knows, maybe new sales incentives like the Cerberus Network is the first step against the trend.
That's what they did.  Kasumi's Stolen Memory and the extra costumes are the only pieces of truly paid DLC so far; everything else (Zaeed and the loyalty mission and abilities included with, the new Hammerhead vehicle and the four missions included with, and the Normandy memorial site pack) has been free to Cerberus Network members (bought the game new), and paid for those who bought pre-owned.
I think Game Stop and its ilk pay as much as Wal-Mart or Target.
Oh, and trust me you can sit and haggle with the guy at the counter over anything. I can go into wal-mart and haggle with the checkout person to give me milk for one dollar instead of two. They're not going to do it because the amount of money I haggle out is not really worth it (Like water clinging to your body after leaving the ocean is lowering the seal level not worth it.). Also, a Optical Disk lasts for about twenty five years if you never move it once it's opened. There are always micro scratches. I do agree though that game depreciation is not derived from wear on the disk as it is age of the tittle.

My point is. DLC is useless to people who don't have Xbox Live. I do want it, some of it. I bought my Mass Effect 2 copy mint new, pre-order. Still, I don't think they produce DLC just because they're getting jilted. Despite the money that goes into the production of a game. I think they do it because it extends the marketability of a game. I'm sure Mass Effect 2 did astounding on pre-orders alone (even if they didn't recoup their costs yet.) It's not rewarding people who buy it new it's rewarding people who pay into Xbox Live and buy it new. I would get Live too but I don't have high speed internet. Eventually my cards will expire and my stuff nonredeemable. So yeah, I'm paying for what will most likely turn out to be three-fourths of a game when it's all said and done.

Even if the game is new eventually it moves to the cheap bin (even if it's good.) The company has already made its money by selling the game retail. Now whether the game restocks is what's important. What's the difference between buying the game at a Game Stop, or online used, or from a friend when he or she is done with it?
I should really just start buying my games used just so I don't feel jilted.

TheWriter

Well, fair enough if it's an issue with XBL.  PSN might not be as good, but at least it's free.  As for Mass Effect, I got the games on PC, so no harm done to me there.