WH40000 - what's your opinion?

Started by Beorning, August 09, 2014, 03:58:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thorne

Oops. Forgot to take pictures of her. >.<
I'll remedy that in a bit.

What's the gnoll supposed to be. Ahh.. well. I just had a character reincarnate as a gnoll. She's a paladin, and there are no sword-and-board gnolls. Especially not sword-and-board wielding gnolls with tower shields. I figured it was a good opportunity to flex my mini-modifying skills. Turns out I have to make the shield from scratch - there's nothing that is big enough even in the batch of loose weapons/shields I bought. Tch. Oh well. that's easy..

The wings come in when she casts a spell that gives her wings. I didn't want to switch minis just for that (and have to paint two), so, I'm going to magnetize a set so I can just stick them on when needed. I'm probably going to have to do some black magic with greenstuff and maybe a pin to get them to stay properly oriented. The little magnets aren't strong enough to hold those wings on. :/
Writer of horrors, artist of mayhem.

Currently available, frequently lurking.
Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies
Ideas and inspirations: small groups

Beorning

So, you'd be changing a mini's in case a character casts as a spell? Cool. I've never used minis for RPGing - in fact, I don't always run combats in a very tactical manner where distances etc. matter. Although it happened, of course...

Anyway, looking forward to the finished mini!

HairyHeretic

Some RPGs do run combat in a very tactical manner, others take a more freeform, cinematic approach. Personally I favour the latter approach. I have my wargames for the former. :)
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Beorning

I prefer the latter approach, too... Still, sometimes a game really demands a more tactical approach. One time, I was GMing a superhero game and there was a scene where five heroes and five villains were doing an all-out fight in a museum vault. In a situation like this, it really became important who is where, who can reach whom etc...

HairyHeretic

Depends on their powers though. With super speed, super strenght, energy blasts .. I'd say it could play either way.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Beorning

The power set of characters involved was quite diverse. There was superstrong giantwoman, there was a speedster, an armoured hero, a light manipulator, a berserker brawler, a Batman type... Also, the heroes made their entrance from two different directions. Ignoring the spatial relations of all these characters would just feel like cheating, especially considering that we were using a system (M&M 2E) which allowed to exactly quantify what the characters could do.

Plus, it was actually fun to be to describe the combat in a lot of detail :)

HairyHeretic

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying one way is better than the other. I just prefer a more cinematic style of action, rather than micromanaging things.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Thorne

The way my GM runs combats, we tend to end up needing the map and figures. Throwing winged characters, or characters who can /grow/ wings, or just grow.. and gain reach .. it can get very confusing, very fast, without some means of visual representation. So, minis. ^^;

It hasn't turned into a full-3d battle since the drake-wrangling incident, at least. That appears to have been a one-off. Dunno if I'm glad of that or not, because it /was/ pretty cool.

That having been said, there's no wrong way to do it. ^.^

Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies

HairyHeretic

Yep. What works well for one group may be absolutely terrible for a second. You have to go with what works for yours.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Lustful Bride

Oh my god! We will get to use battlefleets in an upcoming 40k game!! *Totally freaking out*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=DspNXEY1esc

CountessJess

I really, really hope this game turns out to be good. The last few 40k games have been pretty bad.

But this one looks so sweet! And all those big ships...hnnnnggggggggggggggggggg~

Beorning

I haven't played any WH40K computer games. Which ones are good?

Quote from: Thorne on June 22, 2015, 01:49:58 PM
It hasn't turned into a full-3d battle since the drake-wrangling incident, at least. That appears to have been a one-off. Dunno if I'm glad of that or not, because it /was/ pretty cool.

Do tell about the drake-wrangling incident :)

On another note: any advice on glueing the multipart minis together? Yesterday, I was glueing together my first Wych and it was... hard. Especially glueing on the arms - they just couldn't stay on!

Thorne

Gluing multi-part anything together requires patience and quick-drying glue. :/ And possibly a good pair of tweezers to hold tiny things in place. You don't need a lot of force, just to hold it until the glue sets, which is where patience comes in.
.. and sometimes, you just have to pin the little bastards. Or - and this wants finesse - improvise a clamp to hold everything in place. The finesse comes in where you need the support, but you don't want something that will compress it until it comes apart (so no rubber bands).

Wrangling drakes.. oof. Okay, so, we're rampaging around in the Tardis Hut (Baba Yaga apparently borrowed the concept for her Dancing Hut. We had things to say about that), and we hit this place where winter is a Thing for years on end and the locals resemble furry elves. Okay, fine - we manage to make nice, but we have to help them repel this invasion. Excellent. So, we help. And at some point during this invasion, we have to deal with two siege towers, being pushed/defended by war hydras (seven heads!) and frost drakes.
The paladin (my character) said words to the effect of, 'I've got this', casts Angelic Aspect (which gives her, amongst other things, wings), and ends up tangling with the drakes. Having no better ideas, she grapples one and attempts to break it to saddle. Like you do.

... it didn't work, but she managed to keep both drakes occupied while the melee and the squashy casters took care of the tower and the hydras. If I don't misremember, the rogue disabled the gearing system, and buried a hydra under one of the towers. I think the other one was driven off.

Alright. Marilith. And a lot of the other misc. that I've been painting:

Pretty much all the things, and bookshelves.

The marilith, with her pack of loyal gnolls, facing off against an unsuspecting Paladin.

A better look at the paladin from the front.

Bu- ah. Burrowing Horrors!

Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies

Beorning

Quote from: Thorne on June 23, 2015, 09:48:47 AM
Gluing multi-part anything together requires patience and quick-drying glue. :/ And possibly a good pair of tweezers to hold tiny things in place. You don't need a lot of force, just to hold it until the glue sets, which is where patience comes in.

Tweezers, yeah... I might need to buy these. When I was glueing the Wych, I had this problem that glue kept getting on my fingers... so, the mini parts kept sticking to my fingertips, too. So, I was able to keep the parts together alright... but, when I was trying to move my fingers away, the parts were still stuck to my fingers and everything was coming apart. And I had to start from the beginning.... Because of that, I spent an hour or so trying to put this one single mini together.

Wrangling drakes.. oof. Okay, so, we're rampaging around in the Tardis Hut (Baba Yaga apparently borrowed the concept for her Dancing Hut. We had things to say about that), and we hit this place where winter is a Thing for years on end and the locals resemble furry elves. Okay, fine - we manage to make nice, but we have to help them repel this invasion. Excellent. So, we help. And at some point during this invasion, we have to deal with two siege towers, being pushed/defended by war hydras (seven heads!) and frost drakes.
The paladin (my character) said words to the effect of, 'I've got this', casts Angelic Aspect (which gives her, amongst other things, wings), and ends up tangling with the drakes. Having no better ideas, she grapples one and attempts to break it to saddle. Like you do.

... it didn't work, but she managed to keep both drakes occupied while the melee and the squashy casters took care of the tower and the hydras. If I don't misremember, the rogue disabled the gearing system, and buried a hydra under one of the towers. I think the other one was driven off.

Ha! Cool story :) What system was this?

Thanks for the images! Very interesting :)

I primed the Wych today... Also, I ordered new paints so that I could paint it. Can't wait to begin...

Thorne

Quote from: Beorning on June 23, 2015, 06:05:28 PM
Tweezers, yeah... I might need to buy these. When I was glueing the Wych, I had this problem that glue kept getting on my fingers... so, the mini parts kept sticking to my fingertips, too. So, I was able to keep the parts together alright... but, when I was trying to move my fingers away, the parts were still stuck to my fingers and everything was coming apart. And I had to start from the beginning.... Because of that, I spent an hour or so trying to put this one single mini together.

Ha! Cool story :) What system was this?

Thanks for the images! Very interesting :)

I primed the Wych today... Also, I ordered new paints so that I could paint it. Can't wait to begin...

More or less in order;

Yah, sounds like you need a set of tweezers. :/
Micromark, AS&S, and probably a million hobby shops other than GW probably carry them. Cheaper. <.<

Drake wrangling in Pathfinder! All the grapple checks - and the ride checks, which I kept failing, so no Frost-drake mount for the paladin. But, hey. The point was to keep them busy, and that part worked!

Play Spot the Citadel Paints - I do have one or two that I use. Although the images may not have enough resolution for that - I did sample them down so they'd load faster. :/

Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies

Oniya

Wouldn't a standard pair from the local drug store/chemist work just as well?
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Thorne

I would think so, but I'd actually get a pair of the fine-pointed ones, and not every drugstore seems to carry those.
As an interim solution, of course, whatever you can find .. but I've found that a lot of what you can find at the drugstore doesn't do the job as intended. :/

I was imagining something like this might actually be most effective for holding tiny parts.

Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies

Beorning

I'll have to ask my sister whether I could pick up such tweezers somewhere - aren't some tweezers sold as a cosmetic tool?

Please elaborate on the "Play Spot the Citadel Paints" bit, because I have a brainfart and I don't understand it. I use Vallejo Game Colour, BTW. :)

Thorne

The Marilith's base, some of her blades and .. I think part of that paladin's cloak are all done with something called 'Warplock Bronze'. Which is, so far, the only citadel metallic I have found worth the money. It's more like a dark copper than any shade of bronze I'm familiar with, but, eh. It works. For some things.
I mostly use Reaper and P3 paints. >.>

And, yes. There are tweezers sold as a cosmetic tool. YMMV, but they'd probably be better than nothing.

Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies

Beorning

I bought some cheap cosmetic tweezers today... We'll see if they work.

I also got a bunch of new paints that I plan to use on my Dark Eldar. I'm curious what they'll turn out like. Buying paints online is hard...

Beorning

So, I've had a row with my family today... and, aside from some other things, my sister told me that my WH40K minis are idiotic and I shouldn't be spending money on them...  :'(

CountessJess

Quote from: Beorning on June 28, 2015, 02:19:59 PM
So, I've had a row with my family today... and, aside from some other things, my sister told me that my WH40K minis are idiotic and I shouldn't be spending money on them...  :'(

Tell them that family is merely a social construct brought on by thousands of years of cultural norms and that they're stupid for keeping this slavish, blind devotion to an anachronistic concept that they hold an emotional, but not logical connection to. 40k minis, however, are a rational exchange of earned liquidity for long term entertainment; obtaining tangible goods that nudge you along the pursuit of happiness. Anything can be called idiotic if you don't understand the attraction.

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Beorning on June 28, 2015, 02:19:59 PM

There are many worse and way dumber things to spend yoru money on. Tehre are people out there who spend most of their money on lottery tickets :P