In need of a Star Trek TOS geek

Started by Captain Maltese, January 22, 2009, 01:40:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Maltese

Quote from: jouzinka on January 22, 2009, 06:53:05 PM
Well, being a Klingon definitely DOES give you an excuse to come armed to your teeth even to Her Majesty's, Queen of Britain, audience. ;D But other than that... it's definitely not a practice of Starfleet officers to buzz around with weapons. ;)

Oh dear. Still, I guess when you come armed with a battleship a handweapon might not be essential. *whispers* Actually I'm a Babylon 5 fan....so I'll probably make a captain Sheridan uniform too. Yep, yet another of my favorite captains ;D

You have to admit that it's a hotter uniform than anything ST ever came up with? Of course, the black one that came afterwards looked dowright fascistic to me ;D

By the way, among trekkies the uniform I'm making is best know as the 'Monster Maroon'!

Posting status:  25th December: Up To Date 5 of 9 : last month 2, this month 5, total 38 posts for 2023.

O/O            Current stories

jouzinka

When you come armed with a battleship, there's always a chance your shields will fail and you'll get boarded. That's when the handweapons come in pretty handy.

Monster Maroon, how fitting. ;D To be honest, I can imagine they had to reset the environmental controls in the entire fleet some °C down, because this particular uniform looks like wraps. ;D

Story status: Not Available
Life Status: Just keep swimming...
Working on: N/A

HairyHeretic

Quote from: jouzinka on January 22, 2009, 06:53:05 PM
Well, being a Klingon definitely DOES give you an excuse to come armed to your teeth even to Her Majesty's, Queen of Britain, audience. ;D But other than that... it's definitely not a practice of Starfleet officers to buzz around with weapons. ;)

Plus Klingons are much more fun than the pyjama boys  (:}}

Qoy qeylIs puqloD
Qoy puqbe'pu'
yoHbogh malthbogh je' SuvwI'
Sey'moHchu' may' 'Iw
maSuv manong 'ej maHoHchu'
nI'be'yInmaj 'ach wovqu'!

batlh maH ghbej'jyoqIjDaq
vavpu'ma' DImuvpa'reH maSuvtaH
Qu' DamevQo' maSuvtaH, ma'ov

Translation:
Hear! Sons of Kahless
Hear! Daughters too.
The blood of battle washes clean.
The Warrior brave and true.
We fight, we love, and then we kill.
Our lives burn short and bright.
Then we die with honor and join our
fathers in the Black Fleet where we
battle forever, battling on through
the Eternal fight.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Captain Maltese

Quote from: jouzinka on January 22, 2009, 07:08:21 PM
When you come armed with a battleship, there's always a chance your shields will fail and you'll get boarded. That's when the handweapons come in pretty handy.

Monster Maroon, how fitting. ;D To be honest, I can imagine they had to reset the environmental controls in the entire fleet some °C down, because this particular uniform looks like wraps. ;D

Yeah, it does look rather hot - and you are supposed to wear a turtleneck inside it! I'll be making mine of rather thin material.  and I might simply cut the collar of a white turtlenexx and sew that on, too ;D

Posting status:  25th December: Up To Date 5 of 9 : last month 2, this month 5, total 38 posts for 2023.

Oniya

Quote from: HairyHeretic on January 22, 2009, 07:11:49 PM

Qoy qeylIs puqloD
Qoy puqbe'pu'

Rumored to be an actual discussion:

Marc Okrand:  "I'm going to develop a language that completely eliminates the [k] sound!"
Roddenberry et al.:  "Marc - you do realize they're called Klingons, right?"

Edit:  If you do need to pretend to be speaking Klingon, and don't have the time and inclination to learn the actual conlang, just order Thai food with an attitude.  We used to confuse the actors at Kings Dominion with that trick.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

jouzinka

I suppose there's some secret eternally hidden from me, otherwise I'm having quite serious issues, regarding a species, that has blood as a part of their mating ritual. ;D
Story status: Not Available
Life Status: Just keep swimming...
Working on: N/A

RubySlippers

Quote from: Captain Calico on January 22, 2009, 06:56:48 PM
Oh dear. Still, I guess when you come armed with a battleship a handweapon might not be essential. *whispers* Actually I'm a Babylon 5 fan....so I'll probably make a captain Sheridan uniform too. Yep, yet another of my favorite captains ;D

You have to admit that it's a hotter uniform than anything ST ever came up with? Of course, the black one that came afterwards looked dowright fascistic to me ;D

By the way, among trekkies the uniform I'm making is best know as the 'Monster Maroon'!

Sure much better than MINISKIRTED and rather sexy women in TOS Star Trek ... not!

Captain Maltese

...what pyjamas?

Captain Maltese

Quote from: RubySlippers on January 23, 2009, 12:40:19 AM
Sure much better than MINISKIRTED and rather sexy women in TOS Star Trek ... not!

Well, I like my officers looking like officers - and that goes double for the female ones. Am I a special case for drooling after Lieutenant Ivanova? ;D

HairyHeretic

Quote from: jouzinka on January 23, 2009, 12:37:44 AM
I suppose there's some secret eternally hidden from me, otherwise I'm having quite serious issues, regarding a species, that has blood as a part of their mating ritual. ;D

Klingons conquer what they desire. If you are not strong enough to conquer the one you wish to mate with, then you obviously do not deserve them.

Quote from: Captain Calico on January 23, 2009, 02:00:03 AM

...what pyjamas?

Its a derogatory term for the Federation, based on the fact thier uniforms look like pyjamas.

Agree with you on B5 though ... great show. G'Kar was a great character.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Captain Maltese

Oooh yes, G'kar will remain in my memory for the rest of my life. What a character, and what a character he had!

Yeah, that Monster Maroon is the first ST uniform I like. Those body condoms are ridiculous (and double so and SAD on anyone with a plus waistline) and those sweaters of the early series makes the bridge look like a frat house ;D

Oniya

Quote from: Captain Calico on January 23, 2009, 02:01:48 AM
Am I a special case for drooling after Lieutenant Ivanova? ;D

Not at all.  Not at all.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Captain Maltese

HairyHeretic

True. B5 had such good characters. Garibaldi. Marcus. G'Kar. All really excellent.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Captain Maltese

Yeah. The characters made deep impressions. But personally I was also very, very fond of the many quick witted conversations. It made an excellent contrast to the dark bits.

Star Trek is a different kind of show entirely, with morals and values and ideas put into script in a different time. Bisexual Ivanova would never have fitted in, abd Captain Sheridan would not have broken with top command on earth. Angels and devils would not turn out to be just players using the other races on a cosmic chess board.  ST is 'as American as apple pie'...in the 50s. Comparing the shows on equal terms are simply not possible. From my eyes of today B5 is clearly superior in every way. Then a couple of decades go and a much better ST will come, but B5 will probably never return. That world's story has been played out.

HairyHeretic

The way I best heard it described is along the lines of 'Star Trek is the way we'd like the future to be. Babylon 5 is the way it likely will be."

The dialogue in the series was very good. I liked some of the in jokes as well. Do you remember when Garibaldi quits his security job later in the series, and takes on a PI role? I think its in the opening scene of one episode, a guy comes to him with a case, saying his dog and cat are trying to take over the universe. Apparantly that was Scott Adams, Dilberts creator. I could see Dogbert trying to take over the universe alright  ;D

I think my all time favourite scene has to be the episode where Sheridan has spent his first night with Delenn. Sheridan walks out into the corridor, buckling up his tunic and falls into step with Lenier. The two take a few steps in silence before Lenier turns to Sheridan with a quizzical expression and just says "Woo hoo?"

That cracks me up every time I watch it.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Captain Maltese

Quote from: HairyHeretic on January 24, 2009, 06:41:25 AM
The way I best heard it described is along the lines of 'Star Trek is the way we'd like the future to be. Babylon 5 is the way it likely will be."

The dialogue in the series was very good. I liked some of the in jokes as well. Do you remember when Garibaldi quits his security job later in the series, and takes on a PI role? I think its in the opening scene of one episode, a guy comes to him with a case, saying his dog and cat are trying to take over the universe. Apparantly that was Scott Adams, Dilberts creator. I could see Dogbert trying to take over the universe alright  ;D

I think my all time favourite scene has to be the episode where Sheridan has spent his first night with Delenn. Sheridan walks out into the corridor, buckling up his tunic and falls into step with Lenier. The two take a few steps in silence before Lenier turns to Sheridan with a quizzical expression and just says "Woo hoo?"

That cracks me up every time I watch it.

*grins* the whoo hoo one I remember. One other is from the military canteen, where I think it's Garibaldi who complains of the food. Sheridan baldfaced refers to the rulebook page this paragraph that, under SUAEI. G asks '...SUAEI?' and the entire table replies loudly 'SHUT UP AND EAT IT'.

Damn, now I'll be digging up my entire collection of downloaded B5 quotes and the video clips from their then website. All the latter ones were in the form of communiques and messages. One of the latter: Garibaldi sits before a desk looking at you and says "As the security officer of Babylon Five I have excercised my right to take a look at your computer files. And you have some explaining to do."

Captain Maltese

Captain Maltese

Since we were talking about female officers in scifi:

HairyHeretic

Did you get the ones of the female stormtroopers? Or the samurai stormtrooper?

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Captain Maltese

Never seen'em.

Hmmm....pirate sense prickling...how come I get a feeling that the Captain Kirk of the later period is best suited for attracting the attention of grandmothers? Not that there aren't some grandmothers I would't mind the attention of, but...

HairyHeretic

Don't have the female stormtrooper ones, but this is the other

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Captain Maltese