Battletech 3145 - Recruitment (Open for recruitment)

Started by Blobbe, June 16, 2014, 07:50:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: orderNchaos on June 20, 2014, 06:11:48 AM
Also keep in mind by this time IS has had so much time to study and copy Clan tech that Clan tech on IS mech is not really that necessary anymore.  There are a number of IS omni mechs but unless you're modifying and Industrial mech, there's really no need to throw together some Frankenstien monster like that.  ehehehe 

It'd be fun to have Alroy.

Clantech is still just better - at the very least, lighter and more efficient. Even by 3145 IS designs are still inferior to the Clans in pretty much every way, so I'm asking about the viability of IS blueprints using Clan parts. Not essential, but would be a nice little perk.

Alroy won't be coming back, it'll probably be his grandson.

Blobbe

As said, I'm only allowing published 'Mechs and variants at the moment, at least at the start of the game. Of course, after it starts is another matter.

Looking forward to Alroy III!

TheGlyphstone

Plain old Blitzkreig it is then.

Unless I can play a set of triplets from the Capellan Confederation who drive an Ares. It'll be like the Chinese mech in Pacific Rim. :D

vin26m

Quote from: KaylaM on June 19, 2014, 09:41:33 PM
Really he looks fantastic as is; if you wanted to go with that, then I'd gladly accept it.

Okay, I'll go with that.  I may add more to him later.  Thanks!

vin26m

I modified my character sheet a bit with more text.  I also traded some ER Small Lasers for a machine gun and a flamer, but I don't know how many ER Small Lasers I would have to lose for that to happen.

Edit: Switching back to the original variant after seeing the sanity clause.

ArtemisHighmore

My apologies for the delay. Day off today. Will be working on a character.

orderNchaos

Well that makes four....five if Kayla is going to put a main character in.  That should do well for a small unit right?

ArtemisHighmore

Okay, this is what I have. Please feel free to tell me if I botched something. My experience is primarily around the Clan Invasions.

Character

Name: Samson ‘The Bear’ O’Haggen
Sex: Male
BattleMech: Gauntlet GTL-10
Homeworld: Arluna, Lyran Commonwealth
Original Faction: Lyran Commonwealth
Description: A hulking specimen, Samson is hard not to be noticed. His body has a number of scars, particularly across his torso and legs form the numerous fights he has been involved in.

Background: Born to a miliarty family, it was always accepted that Samson would follow in the footsteps of his father and grandfather. From a young age Samson applied himself to training in the military skills, taking particular joy in the physical aspects, often spending a good deal of time attempting to build up his strength and stamina. The end result was quite impressive, his size often intimidating his opponents before he even got the chance to throw a punch. Flagged for infantry, Samson served most of his time on garrison duty, moving closer and closer to the battle lines between the Lyran and Clan Wolf.

Attacked at night, his garrison was swiftly being overrun. Faced with an array of enemy Mechs, Samson had considered heading for the hills, finding it rather useless of infantry to attempt to take out the advancing mech. Attempting to take cover in the mech hanger while he plotted his escape, he noticed an empty Gauntlet nearby. Feeling that it was his best bet of getting out alive, he strapped himself in. The first few moments were nearly the end of him, his unfamiliarity with the controls resulting in him walking through the wall and the building next to him, drawing a good deal of enemy fire due to all the commotion. Eventually managing to put up a fighting retreat, he slipped into the mountains, his knowledge of the area allowing him to elude the clanners.

Feeling that it was useless to return to the Lyran Armed Forces, Samson managed to barter his way offworld, taking the mech with him. Seeing no other options before him, he began to go under a nickname, offering himself out for mercenary work.

Personality: Samson is a bruiser, plain and simple. If there is even the very hint of a fight, Samson will be in the middle of it. He doesn’t care the side, just as long as he gets to hit someone. Be it with his fists or a mech, he will never back down from a fight if he feels he has even the smallest chance to win.

Specialty Skills: Brawler, Adept at mountain/forest manuvering

BattleMech
Chassis:Gauntlet)
Model: GTL-10
Weight Class: Medium
Callsign: The Bear
Description: Usually shades of green and brown, has been known to change it when needed.

Weapons: 1x PPC, 1x Thunderbolt 10

Equipment: Myomer Accelerator Signal Circuitry (MASC), Supercharger

Background: None that Samson knows about, nor does he care.

Blobbe

Wow! Looks fantastic there, Artemis. Consider it approved!

I was going to create an NPC/Unit commander, and I can also throw in one or two more to bulk out ranks, but we're looking at a good size here already.

ArtemisHighmore

Oh good, thank you. I thought I was way off in left field. xD

orderNchaos

Interesting.  This should be fun.  Can't wait to see what Kayla has planned for her character.  Knowing her though, it'll be hard to take your eyes off!  ;)

Blobbe

Quote from: orderNchaos on June 21, 2014, 09:07:07 PM
Interesting.  This should be fun.  Can't wait to see what Kayla has planned for her character.  Knowing her though, it'll be hard to take your eyes off!  ;)

Thanks for that! NPC commander is in progress, really! I've just had a super-busy weekend.

Blobbe

On a related note, what do people want for the game section, Light or Bondage?

Renegade Vile

Oh, what I would give to have the time to partake in this and make a Diamond Shark character; opportunistic bastards as they are.

I'm going to see if I can't free any up, because I have been wanting a Battletech game for a long time. I hope there are still slots available?
<< Unavailable for New Games >>

Blobbe

Quote from: Renegade Vile on June 23, 2014, 07:52:30 AM
Oh, what I would give to have the time to partake in this and make a Diamond Shark character; opportunistic bastards as they are.

I'm going to see if I can't free any up, because I have been wanting a Battletech game for a long time. I hope there are still slots available?

Slots are still open if you're interested. Feel free to ask questions!

The Diamond Sharks have reverted to the Sea Fox name by now and are even more mercantile then ever before. The era of universal, open warfare of the 3140s has certainly given them a lot of opportunities

Renegade Vile

Quote from: KaylaM on June 23, 2014, 08:08:16 AM
Slots are still open if you're interested. Feel free to ask questions!

The Diamond Sharks have reverted to the Sea Fox name by now and are even more mercantile then ever before. The era of universal, open warfare of the 3140s has certainly given them a lot of opportunities

Indeed, I haven't kept up with the lore of late, but I had heard they managed to reclaim their old name. Haven't they become somewhat nomadic in this era? I'll have to do some research to catch up. Usually I only read about the Clan War, but since playing the miniature game, I've been looking into more background.
How involved will the setting's lore be?

Blobbe

The Sea Foxes are rather nomadic, yes. Most of their population love on ArcShips, massive floating colonies made from the hulls of converted warships. They have very few planetary holdings, but will often turn up whenever there's conflict.

I admit now that I'm a bit of a lore nut, but at the same time, I'm also allways happy to answer questions, so don't be afraid to ask. The first few posts on page one have some background info, although I still need to finish it up

Renegade Vile

Quote from: KaylaM on June 23, 2014, 08:27:43 AM
The Sea Foxes are rather nomadic, yes. Most of their population love on ArcShips, massive floating colonies made from the hulls of converted warships. They have very few planetary holdings, but will often turn up whenever there's conflict.

I admit now that I'm a bit of a lore nut, but at the same time, I'm also allways happy to answer questions, so don't be afraid to ask. The first few posts on page one have some background info, although I still need to finish it up

Do not worry lady Kayla, I'm just as obsessed with a setting's lore as you are. I once slugged through an RPG book and every fiction still available of Legend of the Five Rings just to catch up and get the complete picture after years of inactivity. I'll fight my way through wikis and the like *nods*.
I still remember most of the Clan Wars, though, it's just a bit fuzzy and needs refreshing. I take it I best take a non-Clan Mech even if I choose to be a Clanner, due to the massive different in quality between the technology?

Blobbe

With a Clantech 'Mech, it'd be a case of "ask me what you want and we'll see". Clantech has proliferated widely across the Inner Sphere; every man and his dog has a Warhammer IIC, and the Foxes are one of the main drivers of that spread (Their key philosophy is 'bitches love clantech'). However, at the same time, they also use a lot of IS tech in their forces. So it could go either way.

The biggest thing that you need to know about the Clans of 3145 is that they are compeltely cut off from their homeworlds, and have been such for seventy years. Why is a huge secret, and something that very few actually know

Renegade Vile

Quote from: KaylaM on June 23, 2014, 09:04:29 AM
With a Clantech 'Mech, it'd be a case of "ask me what you want and we'll see". Clantech has proliferated widely across the Inner Sphere; every man and his dog has a Warhammer IIC, and the Foxes are one of the main drivers of that spread (Their key philosophy is 'bitches love clantech'). However, at the same time, they also use a lot of IS tech in their forces. So it could go either way.

The biggest thing that you need to know about the Clans of 3145 is that they are compeltely cut off from their homeworlds, and have been such for seventy years. Why is a huge secret, and something that very few actually know

Indeed. I have two options in mind, but I will put them before you when I have a clear character concept and I've caught up with the lore involved.

As for Diamond Shark's mentality, I am well aware of that. The only lore I know 100% is theirs... rusty as it may be. Always liked that opportunistic streak of theirs, while still staying within the confines of their honor system... kind of.

That they're cut off in that age I am aware of, it's one of the key elements of that era, right?

Blobbe

Quote from: Renegade Vile on June 23, 2014, 09:39:39 AM
Indeed. I have two options in mind, but I will put them before you when I have a clear character concept and I've caught up with the lore involved.

As for Diamond Shark's mentality, I am well aware of that. The only lore I know 100% is theirs... rusty as it may be. Always liked that opportunistic streak of theirs, while still staying within the confines of their honor system... kind of.

That they're cut off in that age I am aware of, it's one of the key elements of that era, right?

Pretty much. To the clans of 3145, the Inner Sphere is their home. The Clan Homeworlds are lost to them and a distant memory. Their societies have changed and evolved over time, and are quite a bit removed from what they were during the invasion. In the case of the Sea Foxes, their decentralized, nomadic society has possibly been the most extreme evolution of any of the Clans.

The 3145-era Clans have a body known as the Council of Six, but it's more of a way to meet and discuss then a ruling body like the old Grand Council. The Co6 has very little actual power.

There has been no contact with the homeworlds since the 3070s. As far as the average person in the Inner Sphere knows, something happened to them and that's it. Very few among the Clans themselves know the full details of what happened, with the subject being very taboo among them.

Renegade Vile

Quote from: KaylaM on June 23, 2014, 10:33:14 AM
Pretty much. To the clans of 3145, the Inner Sphere is their home. The Clan Homeworlds are lost to them and a distant memory. Their societies have changed and evolved over time, and are quite a bit removed from what they were during the invasion. In the case of the Sea Foxes, their decentralized, nomadic society has possibly been the most extreme evolution of any of the Clans.

The 3145-era Clans have a body known as the Council of Six, but it's more of a way to meet and discuss then a ruling body like the old Grand Council. The Co6 has very little actual power.

There has been no contact with the homeworlds since the 3070s. As far as the average person in the Inner Sphere knows, something happened to them and that's it. Very few among the Clans themselves know the full details of what happened, with the subject being very taboo among them.

*Rubs his chin* Why did you choose this setting as opposed to the more common Clan Wars? Not that I mind, MechWarrior is MechWarrior, but I'm curious.

orderNchaos

Actually I like this time period more, although my lore is a bit vague seeing as how I haven't finished all of the Dark Age books.  But at least with this time, the general chaos of the IS that was before the Clan War has returned. We tried running a Battletech game that took place right around the beginning of the Clan War but anyone other than hard House Units crumbled in front of the Clan push so it was kind of a bad time to cover.  I like the chaos periods, opens the door for lots of fun story lines.  Especially this period, there's a lot of story that hasn't been written so we can make up a lot of stories without breaking Canon.

Renegade Vile

Quote from: orderNchaos on June 23, 2014, 12:22:16 PM
Actually I like this time period more, although my lore is a bit vague seeing as how I haven't finished all of the Dark Age books.  But at least with this time, the general chaos of the IS that was before the Clan War has returned. We tried running a Battletech game that took place right around the beginning of the Clan War but anyone other than hard House Units crumbled in front of the Clan push so it was kind of a bad time to cover.  I like the chaos periods, opens the door for lots of fun story lines.  Especially this period, there's a lot of story that hasn't been written so we can make up a lot of stories without breaking Canon.

Very true. Catching up on my lore as we speak, but also re-reading from the start. I'm just using the wiki so there will be some holes here and there, but it should suffice. The articles on factions are quite good there, just timelines and events are a bit fuzzier. Up to the Clan Invasion right now, actually.

TheGlyphstone

Yeah, I'm happier venturing into unknown territory myself rather than retreating the Clan Invasion again - it seems like the only period Battletech games or RPs ever feature, except for the very rare Jihad-era game.