News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Suspending the Campaign...

Started by NightBird, September 25, 2008, 12:16:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NightBird

Vekseid

According to SurveyUSA, 15% of the population supports the move and 11% of the population favors postponing the debate tomorrow - whose viewership will likely exceed the Superbowl. Another 3% were 'not sure' in that poll - not good news for McCain:

http://www.surveyusa.com/client/PollReportUC.aspx?g=54d651a7-a62b-4420-bb32-9dd6b2df8c02

I don't consider it asinine or brilliant. It was a gamble (Barney Frank called it a Hail Mary Pass), and obviously a bad one.

RubySlippers

I brought up the Libertarians at the party web site of Bob Barr HE should go to the debate location and demand to get on since the other candidate isn't there. Why not he can say the McCain due to his duties as a sitting Senator has a legitimate obligation and he is ready to step in as the other legitimate candidate present. If nothing else we can get some free air time for the party.

On the other hand he IS a Senator for crying out loud and they are wanting to toss away $700 billion dollars on a massive government scheme that might not even be really needed, he should be IN his seat IN the Senate. Obama just looked like a rank amateur and McCain will get lots of brownie points for doing his job and putting the needs of the American people first. I actually admire him for this. And Obama well it should have been his idea he needs to be doing his job right now screw the campaign with Biden going back as well. Palin ,a governor, can keep running she has no obligations.

Vekseid

The thing is, Ruby, nothing stops them from them both (1) being there Friday and (2) being at the debates several hours after the senate closes tomorrow.

RubySlippers

The Congress could vote on this at any time its in lockdown almost, and it should be when tossing around that amount of money. I'm not sure it sets the right tone to have debates of seated Senators while they have work to do. A governor sure they don't have the same roles but you know three votes could make or break this perhaps they need to be in Congress and do the job we pay them for.

Oniya

If Congress does decide to vote on this, then ethically, all three of them should recuse themselves from the vote.  Admittedly, this does put the advantage slightly on the Republican's side, since Palin's not a seated Senator, but only by one vote.  If it's close enough that one vote will decide it, then maybe they need to start listening to their constituents instead of the 'party line'.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

ShrowdedPoet

Why exactly would they need to recuse themselves?  (Is that even done in the voting?)  Do they have some kind of conflict that would impare their judgement as to whether it should pass or not?  That's the point of recusing ones self is it not?  I think. . .I'm asking. . .
Kiss the hand that beats you.
Sexuality isn't a curse, it's a gift to embrace and explore!
Ons and Offs

Vekseid

A recusal seems a bit silly, especially for Biden. Certainly, the Senate does not particularly need either of them to be present at the end of the day on Friday.

To me, it looks really bad for a president to only be able to handle more than a single major issue at a time.

ShrowdedPoet

Quote from: Vekseid on September 25, 2008, 10:41:57 AM
A recusal seems a bit silly, especially for Biden. Certainly, the Senate does not particularly need either of them to be present at the end of the day on Friday.

To me, it looks really bad for a president to only be able to handle more than a single major issue at a time.

I agree with you Veks.  A president should be able to handle more than one issue at a time. 
Ons and Offs

Vekseid

McCain has enough time to visit the Clinton Global Initiative, but not for the debates or even to read Paulson's plan!?

Oniya

Quote from: ShrowdedPoet on September 25, 2008, 09:29:52 AM
Why exactly would they need to recuse themselves?  (Is that even done in the voting?)  Do they have some kind of conflict that would impare their judgement as to whether it should pass or not?  That's the point of recusing ones self is it not?  I think. . .I'm asking. . .

It may be more 'abstaining', but the decision whether to suspend campaigning affects those three more than any other legislators.  While they should be able to make an unbiased decision, abstaining would prevent the appearance of impropriety.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

RubySlippers

Quote from: ShrowdedPoet on September 25, 2008, 10:56:16 AM
I agree with you Veks.  A president should be able to handle more than one issue at a time. 

The three Senators are not the president, they were elected by their constituants to be in Congress to represent them in matters of state and this is not a small matter they are intending to take $700 billion and piss it away of we they are not careful. I know if I was a seated member of Congress my job which I'm paid for by the people of the United States is to be in there not out campaigning at this time.

And I agree if a Senator wants to run for another office they should have to resign their Senate seat first then run, its this conflict of time and interest I find offensive when these men have ONE job, being in the Congress. As for abstaining without a real conflict of interest I would say they are lazy and not doing what they are being paid for.

ShrowdedPoet

Quote from: RubySlippers on September 25, 2008, 11:50:52 AM
The three Senators are not the president, they were elected by their constituants to be in Congress to represent them in matters of state and this is not a small matter they are intending to take $700 billion and piss it away of we they are not careful. I know if I was a seated member of Congress my job which I'm paid for by the people of the United States is to be in there not out campaigning at this time.

And I agree if a Senator wants to run for another office they should have to resign their Senate seat first then run, its this conflict of time and interest I find offensive when these men have ONE job, being in the Congress. As for abstaining without a real conflict of interest I would say they are lazy and not doing what they are being paid for.

They're not yet president but one of them WILL be. . .
Ons and Offs

Oniya

Quote from: RubySlippers on September 25, 2008, 11:50:52 AM

Actually, the bolded bit points out the conflict that I think does exist.  Voting on suspending the campaign directly affects their 'second job' and whether they are able to spend more time on it.

Cherri Tart

Quote from: NightBird on September 25, 2008, 12:16:41 AM
Asinine or brilliant?

:o

reeks of publicity stunt - is it me or has anyone else noted that you really haven't heard much about McCain lately - it's all been about Ms Palin.
you were never able to keep me breathing as the water rises up again

O/O, Cherri Flavored

The Overlord

Quote from: Cherri Tart on September 25, 2008, 02:17:46 PM
reeks of publicity stunt - is it me or has anyone else noted that you really haven't heard much about McCain lately - it's all been about Ms Palin.

Yeah you're almost wondering who's still the CE and who's still the VP in running.

The Republicans are utterly sickening in their hypocrisy...they needn't bitch about Obama's celebrity status the way they're playing Palin up. Everything that spews from the right these days reeks like it crawled out of a sewer pipe.

OldSchoolGamer

Has anyone considered the possibility the Republicans don't really want the White House anymore?

The way America's going under, most of the higher-ups are looking for a lifeboat, not the captain's seat.

The Overlord

Quote from: TyTheDnDGuy on September 25, 2008, 05:01:49 PM
Has anyone considered the possibility the Republicans don't really want the White House anymore?

The way America's going under, most of the higher-ups are looking for a lifeboat, not the captain's seat.

Ever the optimist eh?

Of course they want it, they made their case in 2000 they'll do virtually anything to keep a hold on power.

Oniya

The one who's going to be remembered is the one who brings us out of this recession.  FDR was able to go 4 terms because of what he did to turn around the Great Depression (and because there wasn't a law against it.)  Okay, Hoover is remembered too, but mostly as the punchline of jokes involving vacuum cleaners.

Dashenka

My view on this as an outsider, given the news we got about the recent economical crisis the US is in, the only way I can see it, is it being some sort of 'publicity stunt' from McCain.

Yesterday on the news I heard that he did not take a real statement about the rescue plan (if anybody could explain to me what this really is, I would be obliged) and since a lot of people world wide and I think also in the US itself, hold the government Bush responsible for the crisis, it would be wise to take a statement and defend it while he was there.

On the same news show I also heard that even the Republicans were not happy with his visit to, I believe it was DC. Should he have made a good statement, and good arguments to defend or kill the rescue plan and bring it on television he could have won voters. Right now he only lost them I think.
Out here in the fields, I fight for my meals and I get my back into my living.

I don't need to fight to prove I'm right and I don't need to be forgiven.

OldSchoolGamer

Quote from: Dashenka on September 27, 2008, 03:17:17 AM
Yesterday on the news I heard that he did not take a real statement about the rescue plan (if anybody could explain to me what this really is, I would be obliged) and since a lot of people world wide and I think also in the US itself, hold the government Bush responsible for the crisis, it would be wise to take a statement and defend it while he was there.

The bottom line is that there is no "rescue plan."  There can't be.  The size of the derivatives bubble that's in the process of rupturing is well into the hundreds of trillions of dollars.  Yes, you read that right: trillions.  The loss of even 10% of the bubble could suck out the combined GDPs of all the G7 nations and still have plenty of suckage to spare. 

The mobsters running D.C. and Wall Street are scared shitless, because there's no hole in the desert big enough to bury the bodies anymore.

LaCroix

I honestly don't see it as a publicity stunt. I see it as a man who realized that he still had a duty to uphold and was willing to put aside his own personal goals and the bid for beiing president in order to go and do that job.

As was already pointed out, both of these men are still senators and as such they really should be there when something this important is being dealt with. Yes its a conflict of time and interest but still being senators I feel they had a job to do and he decided to go and do it.
Mickey Mouse's birthday being announced on the television news as if it were an actual event! I don't give a shit! If I cared about Mickey Mouse's birthday I would have memorized it years ago! And I'd send him a card, 'Dear Mickey, Happy Birthday, Love George'. I don't do that, why, don't give a shit! Fuck Mickey Mouse! Fuck him in the ass with a big rubber dick! Then break it off and beat him with it!

Vekseid

Quote from: TyTheDnDGuy on September 27, 2008, 04:58:16 AM
The bottom line is that there is no "rescue plan."  There can't be.  The size of the derivatives bubble that's in the process of rupturing is well into the hundreds of trillions of dollars.  Yes, you read that right: trillions.  The loss of even 10% of the bubble could suck out the combined GDPs of all the G7 nations and still have plenty of suckage to spare. 

The mobsters running D.C. and Wall Street are scared shitless, because there's no hole in the desert big enough to bury the bodies anymore.

If person A owes person B $30, and person B owes person C $30, and person C owes person A $30, do they have $90 of debt or zero?

It's basically a way that they've magicked money out of thin air. The bailout is not for them - they can burn in hell. The bailout is for those who made 'honest' investments in these companies in the mean time, about to see them vanish because of said skullduggery.

ShrowdedPoet

I told my husband last night that I'm digging FDR up and voting for him. . . .*sighs*
Ons and Offs

Oniya

I told mine I'm voting for Howard the Duck on the All-Night Party.