Running the Realms (3.5 NC Exotic System game recruitment)

Started by Tagan, September 25, 2010, 10:46:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tagan

I'm looking for one or two good players, who are also good writers who post often. (I already have 4)

Here is the original recruitment thread.  Original

Main changes from this are the game has progressed now to 5th lvl, and 3 ecl is now allowed.

If someone would be willing to continue a Tiefling Paladin, bonus!  Otherwise, a spot for a new character or two to join the group is coming up soon.

Kunoichi

Hmm.  There is a character I've been wanting to play...

For races, would an Exiled Modron be alright to play?  They're in the Races document on Crystal Keep, page 34 to be precise.  I've got a great concept for a character, though I've yet to nail down a specific class for her. ^^;

Tagan

I'm not objecting... an exiled outsider would work nicely... However, do you have a picture for the character?  The Modron I remember is from the 1st Ed Monster Manual, and this can't be the same critter.

One other point... is there an LA listed somewhere?  It looks like about a 2 to me, if not.

Tackyhillbilly

Tagan

Not completely.  But until I get a copy and understand it fully, it stays very limited.  Feats, ok.  But no classes or powers until then.

(And I'm very broke, both money and time.)

Tagan

Very much so.  Like RA Salvatore, a part of me died with 4.0.

Kolbrandr

Cool, figured I would check to be sure before pondering a concept. Wasn't a fan of the Realmsnuke either.

Tackyhillbilly

Ehhh, then I won't bother. I wanted to try a Bardblade I've had around for a while out.

Mountebank from Complete Scoundrel alright? I wouldn't have any ranks of the PRC to begin with, but I would pick them up next level.

Kunoichi

Quote from: Tagan on September 26, 2010, 12:25:35 AM
I'm not objecting... an exiled outsider would work nicely... However, do you have a picture for the character?  The Modron I remember is from the 1st Ed Monster Manual, and this can't be the same critter.

One other point... is there an LA listed somewhere?  It looks like about a 2 to me, if not.

Modrons from 1e looked a little goofy, but they got a re-envisioning in 2e that made them a little less so, keeping the geometrical shapes but adding in a clockwork theme and fleshing out their society.  That's the point where they got taken a little more seriously, though their spot in the cosmology was taken over by the Formians during 3.0 and onwards.  For this particular character, I put my meager artistic skills to work to give her a more humanoid form(slightly NSFW), but she's more of a unique case, and at any rate, it wouldn't have any effect on her stats, other than perhaps height and weight.

Really?  Compared to Warforged, I think they break about even, though.  Either way, the Dragon Magazine article presenting their stats gives them an LA of +1.

Tagan

Hmm... The lack of natural weaknesses is greater than a Warforged, and the NA and resistances knock it up again.  I'll tell you what, play a wizard or another int based class, 2 LA.  Otherwise 1 LA.

(I'm looking at other 2 LA races for comparison.  I'll admit it's bit low powered for a regular 2, but the race would make a nasty wizard, especially considering the polymorphing into other outsiders trick.)

Kolbrandr

I'm working on a human male rogue 3/Paladin 2 (of Torm) at the moment, posting up the backstory in a bit, then going forward to work on stats if you're cool with it.

Probably going to take able learner and that "can keep taking rogue and paladin levels" feat from complete adventurer if you're cool with those besides.

ff

Tagan, if it helps your thought process, I've played 3.5 with Kunoichi and she's an excellent player (and one of the only I've ever seen correct a DM when it was against their PC's favor!). I'd be pleased to have her in the Realms party.

Kunoichi

Quote from: Tagan on September 26, 2010, 02:14:09 AM
Hmm... The lack of natural weaknesses is greater than a Warforged, and the NA and resistances knock it up again.  I'll tell you what, play a wizard or another int based class, 2 LA.  Otherwise 1 LA.

(I'm looking at other 2 LA races for comparison.  I'll admit it's bit low powered for a regular 2, but the race would make a nasty wizard, especially considering the polymorphing into other outsiders trick.)

The lack of natural weaknesses compared to Warforged is a bit of a problem, but the NA and the (in my opinion) rather pathetic resistances seem to me to be a little under-par compared to a Warforged's natural attack and built-in Light Fortification.  The Vulnerability to Surprise and need to have clothing and armor custom-made balance out the other racial traits, though, and the attributes are balanced, if geared towards Int- and Con-based classes.

Hmm.  If we were to toss on the Extraplanar subtype, (which does nothing but make you vulnerable to effects that affect Extraplanar creatures, such as Dismissal and Banishment and other such things,) would that be enough to balance things out?  The people who wrote Magic of Incarnum certainly thought it was enough to balance out making Dusklings LA+0 Fey...  It also fits the character, since technically she's native to Mechanus in the first place.

(Most creatures with LA have the LA horribly overpriced, however.  Case in point: The humble Blue. ^^; Additionally, Modrons aren't Outsiders, they're constructs, so that trick wouldn't be available.  And if I make this character a Wizard, she'll be a Conjurer anyway, not a Transmuter.  She'll probably be a Psion if I make her any sort of Caster at all, though.)

Primarch

Would applying the Half-Nymph template be possible? I played a Gray Elf/Half Nymph before, t'was great fun.

Tagan

Having slept on it, (and having glanced at the Half-Nymph) I'll go for Exiled Modron as 1 LA... and as you pointed  out, she's a construct.  (Would she, or it be more appropriate?)

Oh, and Half-Nymph, fine.  It's certainly worth it's 3 LA.

Tackyhillbilly

How about Mountebank? (It is a Prestige Class from Complete Scoundrel.)

My character would like start out as Rogue 5, though.

Tagan

Rogue 5 is fine, and I'll check Mountebank tomorow when I have access to the Complete Scoundrel.

NicciKotor

How goes recruitment, any more openings? Always up to do a cleric character, always do find those fun to game on.
Turn on and off thread: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=69638.0

Give me toys and anime figures and I'll let you spank me as often as you want!

Discord: NicciKotor#8672

Tumblr page: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/freyathemagicalfoxy

Tackyhillbilly

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=243064

The sheet without any fluff (which I do have, but needs to be worked to fit into the campaign.)

Where are the PC's at the moment? And what languages should we know (so communication isn't a problem.)

Kunoichi

Quote from: Tagan on September 26, 2010, 10:39:06 AM
Having slept on it, (and having glanced at the Half-Nymph) I'll go for Exiled Modron as 1 LA... and as you pointed  out, she's a construct.  (Would she, or it be more appropriate?)

I suppose 'it' would be more appropriate...  Although she considers herself a 'she'.

Any thoughts about tossing on the Extraplanar subtype? ^^;

Edit: Are classes from Magic of Incarnum alright?  I'm looking at either Incarnate or Totemist...

Tagan

Nicki, applications are still being accepted.

Tacky, the PC's are in the Dales, currently in a lich's tomb.  However, any Faerun background, and even an extra dimensional background, can be fitted in.  As for language, common's the only one they all share.

Kuno, I don't have access to the Magic of Incarnum... So probably not.  As for the extraplaner subtype...  do you want it added on?  Makes more sense to me for an 'exiled' Modron to be fixed to the Prime Material.

Primarch

Quick question, I've never actually used a point buy in before, and I'm just wondering, what do we base the stats at before applying our buy in?

Tagan

Stats are like this.
Points=Stat
0=8
1=9
2=10
3=11
4=12
5=13
6=14
8=15
10=16