News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

A quick math/gambling-related question

Started by Cysma, November 15, 2009, 01:43:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cysma

If you're betting on say, a horse race, for instance, and each horse has a different payout, would it be possible to bet a certain amount on every horse and turn a profit or at the very least break even with your winnings no matter which horse wins the race?

Oniya

It would probably take a computer to calculate exactly how much to put on each horse...  After all, if a 50:1 horse won, then a dollar put on that horse would give you $49 that could have been distributed on all the other losing horses, while if a 2:1 horse won, each dollar that you bet on that horse would only give you a single dollar that could have been distributed on all the losing horses.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

OldSchoolGamer

That would be an advanced calculus problem...you'd have to craft an equation and then take the first and possibly the second-order derivatives to determine the maximum profit. 

Trouble is, you're missing a key piece of data: the REAL odds of each horse, not what the handicappers believe.

Cysma

Thanks. I was asking this question because I play a game called Kingdom of Loathing, and each week there's a tournament where you bet on 8 different fighters, each one with a different payoff. The payoff rates are subject to change up until the day of the tournament, however.

Oniya

Horses or fighters, it's still going to go into advanced game-theory.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17