News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Batman for Marvel

Started by Batman4560, July 03, 2013, 11:45:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seranova

*pokes head in*

I'll toss my hat in for Gambit. Do we really need a character sheet for the awesomest Cajun ever?

And surprisingly, Chrome did not scream at me for typing "awesomest".
Sera's Ons/Off's
Hello darkness, my old friend.
I've come to talk with you again.

Batman4560

No. At first we were going to do a one on one play but decided it would be better as a group role play. Any suggestions for plot?

Seranova

I am all tapped out on plots. Trying to help another theme site come up with a new plot and the plots I've come up with for here have left my brain pretty mushy in that regard.
Sera's Ons/Off's

Batman4560

Ok I will figure it out, if you know someone else that would like to play feel free to invite them.

Cascalence

Okay, so let's start with the school theme and extrapolate from there.
We need conflict.  So where should we draw conflict from?  There could still be the government trying to enforce a mutant registry act....
There could be a new faction trying to recruit from the school to attack said government.
They could even have teens infiltrating the school and recruiting that way.

I dunno...I'm sorry, I'm really trying to come up with some ideas ><
Casca's O/O's--A work in progress

Batman4560

This is all good. How about the Government is scouting the school and trying to get the teachers to work for the government to find other mutants and kill the dangerous ones. When the new group of X-men refuse the Government restarts the weapon X program to make enhanced bounty hunters to find and attack mutants?

Cascalence

Your idea is much better than my weak one.  I likes it <3

Batman4560

It needs lots of hammering out....

Cascalence

*puts on work gloves and safety goggles, lifting a hammer*  Let's get to work, then!

First off, how are we starting the rp?  Are we going to jump into it with the school's formation, or are we going to have the school pre-established and having students?  This matters, because then we can figure out from there if we want to make government agents to come in and try to convince the teachers to turn against the students or one another.

Batman4560

Lets start at the enrollment of the school so that other players can introduce themselves and can establish a kind of kinship among themselves.

Cascalence

Okay.  So then, that means we can have people that make the government chars, too, if they so please.  I could even make one of them, to help along the rp.  We'll also need to make a structure for the school.  You know, a principal/dean...subjects for teachers to reside over.  Maybe make some of the roles NPCs unless someone comes along and wants to take over that role.
Hmm...this is quite the undertaking, isn't it?

Seranova

I can't imagine Gambit as a student.
Sera's Ons/Off's

Batman4560

He would most likely be a teacher or like a group leader.

Cascalence

I agree with Batman...though I don't really see him as a teacher, either.  Probably more like an advisor, as someone who was part of Xavier's school and saw how it ran.  Or some such thing.  Maybe he'd be school security?  That would work, too, right?  Hrrrmmm.

Batman4560

He may even be someone who would advise on who would make good X-men.

EndofDivine

I love superheroes but I'm not big on the usual spandex and tights sort of heroes from DC and Marvel. Still, I'm willing to make an exception for an X-Men type of thing. It's one of the few comic book superhero settings that I can stand. It just seems a bit more realistic and down to earth - as dumb as that sounds considering they're superheroes.

But anyway, I'm interested if you're still looking to make this a group thing. I'm sort of in the same boat as Cascalence...just on the other side of the approval fence. Complete newbie to these forums and not super experienced with PbP but I do consider myself to be a pretty good writer. Let me know if you don't mind having another person tag along and I'll write something up.

Batman4560

It never hurts to have more players, welcome aboard.

EndofDivine

Alias: Mirage
Sexuality: Straight
Known relatives: Her father, Leon Reynolds
Professions: Student
Mutation (Powers):
-Jessica has the ability to mentally alter the perceptions of others. She can essentially choose what her target sees, hears, and feels through mental suggestion. She mostly uses this ability to erase herself from someone's mind, becoming invisible to them. It's not uncommon for her to use this ability to impersonate the appearance and voice of others.
-Her ability can be extremely dangerous if she chooses. When she was forced to work for the government, her most common form of interrogation was to simply deny her victim all of their senses, leaving them alone with nothing but darkness and their own thoughts. She can also inflict pain in a "your mind makes it real" sort of way. This rarely proves lethal and instead usually just results in her victims passing out from over-stimulation before anything too harmful occurs.
-Her ability does have a few drawbacks. Jessica obviously can't fool machines. A simple surveillance camera or alarm is sometimes enough to foil her attempts to be sneaky. The biggest drawback is that she has to keep a sort of "open link" between her mind and those she is manipulating. She requires input from their mind in order to make believable illusions. This tends to leave an imprint in her own mind of anyone she uses her ability on. Typically, the more powerful the emotions of her target are, the more of their personality and memories she takes on.
This makes her hesitant to use her ability in malicious ways.
-A strong willed psychic or any character with mental resistances can usually just block Mirage's abilities if they become aware that they're being manipulated. Similarly, if someone comes to realize that she's implanting images into their head, her ability to cause physical harm becomes negated. She can't hurt you if you know it's not real.

Special Skill or training:
Interrogation- It's not a skill she enjoys using but the combination of her time with the military and her power makes her very effective at it.
Weapons Training- Jessica is familiar with most standard firearms. Not a sharpshooter or anything like that but she's at least competent with a gun.

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Background:
Jessica is a bit of a late bloomer. She only realized she could tap into the minds of others a year ago and told her father about her abilities almost immediately. Her father, Leon Reynolds, works for the US government in the Pentagon and thought to ask his military friends for help protecting his mutant daughter. Instead of helping, the government decided to use the young woman's abilities for their own ends. Against his wishes, Jessica was taken from her father's home and put to work interrogating people that were deemed a threat to the government. She did as she was told and found herself forcing others to live through waking nightmares and she often came away from these experiences as shaken as her victims.

Her father was able to remove his daughter from the program after four months at the cost of his own job. Believing the peace he had earned for his daughter would be short lived, he pulled a few strings and found a group that takes in teenagers like herself.

Hope you like it. She's actually a character I played in real life once that I really enjoyed. She wasn't 17 in that game but I thought it'd be weird to have 20 something year old students.

Batman4560

Looks good, did you have any input on the plot?

Cascalence

Hi EndofDivine!  We're happy to have you aboard!  Great char, by the way!  She seems to have a lot more depth than mine *fidget*
Anyway, we're still hammering out both plot and school structure, so feel free to contribute any ideas you have!  It will be greatly appreciated!

As for ideas I had, toward the structure of the school, I was thinking we could have five main subjects for our teacher characters.
English
Math
History
Art
Science

Personally, I'd want to take English for Karen >>.  But that's beside the point.  I know we may not get around to actually rping out the classes, what with what else we're planning, but...I figured it would be good to at least have the structure in place, just in case.  Anyway, I'll try to come up with more structure toward the plot later.  I barely slept last night and I'm real tired.  Not that I can sleep, but...I'm hoping to be more awake later.

EndofDivine

Thanks, Cascalence. I wouldn't feel too bad about your character, I didn't even make most of Mirage myself. I just happened to have a really great GM with an awesome setting that helped me put her together and I went from there.

So yeah...I'm not that familiar with X-Men stuff so I don't know how much help I'll be. I've got a few questions that can help me get a better idea of where we are and where we can take this if you don't mind...

What happened to the old X-Men?
Who started this new school and the new X-Men?

Anyway, onto plot ideas...

Not sure how I feel about having the government players as well as student players. I feel like it'd be best if we didn't split people up or force conflicts between players. Don't know how you guys feel about it but I'd like to stay away from any sort of player vs. player stuff.

I was thinking maybe instead of having the government hunting everyone down to kill them, we could have it where they've figured out how to replicate abilities taken from mutant DNA. So their goal becomes to study and abduct rather than kill in order to create an army that has all the powers they've decided would be useful. This new school just happens to be the perfect place for their scheme. Students start going missing, paranoia sets in, that sort of thing.

I'm not sure that the government makes the best bad guy either. Maybe have someone else working for a branch of the government or its just some rogue group looking seize power with a superpowered private army.

Sorry if I sound too negative or bossy. I really didn't mean for it to. I'm perfectly fine with the plot you guys have right now, I'm just throwing out stuff that's interesting to me personally and seeing what you guys think.

Batman4560

Ok, how does an anti mutant group sound? They get victims of older mutant attacks that seek revenge to take on the mutant dna and attack other mutants causing a sort of civil war? As far as what happened to the other X-men, lets say they disband after the death of Jean and Charles? I was thinking of having my character start the new school as a means to counter the hellfire club.

Cascalence

Eeeeek, let's slow down a little for EndofDivine here.  The only reason I even know about the Hellfire Club is because of the movies, and even I don't know much.  EndofDivine, did you see X-Men: First Class?  Do you know what the Hellfire Club is?  Do you need any explanation about it?  I'll try to explain it, but Batman would probably be best for that.  He's probably got way more knowledge than I do.

Batman4560

Hellfire club has many various members so yeah...but if you have seen the film then you have a decent understanding of the idea.

EndofDivine

Yeah...I've seen the movies but I don't really remember much about the hellfire club other than that they were the bad guys. I'm familiar with most of the basic X-Men stuff though. I've played a few X-Men games and I've watched a few episodes of the cartoons while babysitting my friend's kids. I guess the only thing I'd need explained about the hellfire club is what their motivations are. That's all that really matters anyway. I can learn about the people and stuff in it as we play if we decide to get them involved.

The idea of an anti-mutant group turning other people into mutants in order to fight mutants seems kinda iffy. Unless they're the sort of people that think we don't deserve our abilities and that they could make better use of them then we ever could...which actually sounds super cool now that I think about it.