The Gauntlet Has Been Thrown: The Future of Superhero Movies

Started by Mathim, November 18, 2014, 02:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Far eyes

So apparently X-MEN APOCALYPSE could end up kind of sucking from what i am hearing from early reviews, well apparently its more like a whole truck full of "MEH" then actual suck but still not good

What a man says: "Through roleplaying, I want to explore the reality of the female experience and gain a better understanding of what it means to be a woman."

What he means: "I like lesbians".
A/A
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=180557.0

Mathim

Quote from: Far eyes on May 21, 2016, 04:30:09 AM
So apparently X-MEN APOCALYPSE could end up kind of sucking from what i am hearing from early reviews, well apparently its more like a whole truck full of "MEH" then actual suck but still not good

I've been hearing that too, so I'm not sure what to think. DOFP was bombastic, Deadpool is probably the greatest adaptation ever, so this one giving people mixed reactions is troubling. I'd rather it be better than 'just okay' but with an opponent that powerful, it's hard to come up with a good resolution. It kind of makes it like you're writing yourself into a corner. And I thought Bryan Singer was always the best person for the job...

I'll say this though: If it's as good as I thought First Class was (and I know I liked that one better than most people seem to) then I'll be happy.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Far eyes

From what i was able to pick up its a case of some good scenes, some bad acting, a good idea and bad execution and apparently a really crap last 1/3 or 1/4th of the movie
What a man says: "Through roleplaying, I want to explore the reality of the female experience and gain a better understanding of what it means to be a woman."

A/A

Mathim

Quote from: Far eyes on May 21, 2016, 08:15:55 AM
From what i was able to pick up its a case of some good scenes, some bad acting, a good idea and bad execution and apparently a really crap last 1/3 or 1/4th of the movie

Yeah, I'd heard the conclusion wasn't people's favorite, but I'd also heard the beginning was really slow, too. Bad acting, I'll buy if only because there are all new people for many of the roles and while that was also the case with some of DOFP's casting, very few had any really significant roles so we didn't really get to see much if any lackluster performances.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

CuriousEyes

I think Bryan Singer did amazing stuff merging the general malaise-level crap of First Class with X1 & X2 while cleaning out or rehabilitating X3 as much as possible with DOFP. So he gets a lot of credit in my mind - but I won't be surprised if its a hard trick to repeat.

Wonder if Marvel is watching Apocalypse closely with regards to Infinity War and the thoughts on that level of Big Bad/ensemble cast.

Hoping I can expand the thread a moment as its not Marvel/DC or even comics really, but thought there may be some overlap in the fandoms. Anyone have any thoughts on the Warcraft movie?

Far eyes

Quote from: CuriousEyes on May 21, 2016, 01:28:44 PM
Anyone have any thoughts on the Warcraft movie?

Sorrow? I have not seen it yet but i expect noting, if i get more then absolute failure i will be pleasantly surprised

A/A

Mathim

Quote from: CuriousEyes on May 21, 2016, 01:28:44 PM
I think Bryan Singer did amazing stuff merging the general malaise-level crap of First Class with X1 & X2 while cleaning out or rehabilitating X3 as much as possible with DOFP. So he gets a lot of credit in my mind - but I won't be surprised if its a hard trick to repeat.

Wonder if Marvel is watching Apocalypse closely with regards to Infinity War and the thoughts on that level of Big Bad/ensemble cast.

Hoping I can expand the thread a moment as its not Marvel/DC or even comics really, but thought there may be some overlap in the fandoms. Anyone have any thoughts on the Warcraft movie?

I think Marvel would be unwise to ignore every possible learning opportunity they can find, so I do hope that both Deadpool and Apocalypse can teach valuable lessons. Deadpool is a goldmine for stuff; that you can make an amazing set of action sequences throughout a feature-length film and only spend about $60 million even in this day and age of $100 million+ budgets if you get the right creative team behind it, for one. But of course without access to that kind of character, the rest of the lessons aren't as applicable. Marvel may be undisputed champ at the moment but if they start getting complacent it'll bring on superhero fatigue sooner than we would all hope.

Fox is an admittedly slow learner and has a tendency to make all-new mistakes, so that's kind of sad but at least those failures can be exploited by other studios that WILL learn from mistakes and not repeat them. Jury's still out on whether the DCEU can salvage itself, but if Suicide Squad fails to wow people, it'll likely be all over, even if Wonder Woman is praised since it's really only being made now without appropriate reflection on the direction of the DCEU because it already started production before BvS' underperformance. They're trying desperately to continue emulating Marvel's formula now, getting two people to play the part of Kevin Feige, but I don't know that it's going to help, it might just be too little, too late. If they'd just done a better job copying them from the start, everybody would have won and everybody would have been all the happier for it.

SapphireStar

Maybe part of the problem with the new X-Men movie is the way they are approaching the plots. For the most part they've turned alot of character origins on their heads. Storm was never a Four Horseman. So was Magneto. It would have been better if they maybe did the Brotherhood with Magneto leading. They had already teased that in First Class. Wolverine from what I've heard doesn't have a large role in the movie. That goes to Jennifer Lawerence and her character. I've noticed her role has been getting increasingly bigger.

I'm worried about their other projects like New Mutants and X-Force. Bryan Singer seems to be following a little in Zach Synder's shoes. If anything, why not put Joss Whedon in charge of the X-men movie universe. He's written a bunch of their issues and actually knows the plots and characters.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on May 21, 2016, 10:32:56 PM
Maybe part of the problem with the new X-Men movie is the way they are approaching the plots. For the most part they've turned alot of character origins on their heads. Storm was never a Four Horseman. So was Magneto. It would have been better if they maybe did the Brotherhood with Magneto leading. They had already teased that in First Class. Wolverine from what I've heard doesn't have a large role in the movie. That goes to Jennifer Lawerence and her character. I've noticed her role has been getting increasingly bigger.

I'm worried about their other projects like New Mutants and X-Force. Bryan Singer seems to be following a little in Zach Synder's shoes. If anything, why not put Joss Whedon in charge of the X-men movie universe. He's written a bunch of their issues and actually knows the plots and characters.

Ah, Whedon's probably a little burnt out on the comic movie thing after Age of Ultron. I don't blame him. And Magneto was one of the Four Horsemen on X-Men Evolution, as was Mystique, Professor X and, I think, Storm too. So maybe they weren't in the comics, but at least in some other versions it was done before this movie.

I wasn't aware they were planning any further ahead than Deadpool 2 and Wolverine 3, apart from whatever main film is coming after Apocalypse which they're saying is going to follow the pattern of DOFP being in the 1970's, Apocalypse in the 80's, and the next one in the 90's. I guess maybe they're not planning on rebooting everything quite as soon as I was originally led to believe?

They should still be able to do the Savage Land and Mojoverse, though I'm wondering if either of those will be in a standard X-Men movie or something like a Wolverine solo film or even Deadpool. But there was also talk of a space-themed idea which would probably mean Shii'ar aliens and a proper Phoenix. Or maybe the Starjammers and the Phalanx instead?

Far eyes

I have herd it said that some of the cameos like wolverine basically stop the plot dead and then kind of walk him over the street. The other criticism i have herd so far is that a lot of characters who are suppose to be main have very little agency or character. No idea, i am not going to see it in the movie theater because i am feeling like shit still but we will see.

Looks like the Inhumans might not be totally off the table just moved behind stage 3

A/A

Far eyes

A/A

Mathim

Quote from: Far eyes on May 22, 2016, 04:53:30 AM
http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Fantastic-Four-Movie-Rights-May-Return-Marvel-Get-Details-88417.html

Interesting bit of rumors

Honestly, should have happened years ago. The only way Fox can turn a profit with that property now is to SELL it back to Marvel. They've proven their one effective money-making franchise is X-Men and that even without the main titular team, their spin-off films (Wolverine, Deadpool) can make money even if reception isn't spectacular. Cutting off the gangrenous limb will not only mean they no longer have to scramble to churn something out like Fant4stic, but it'll mean fans will have a reason to cut them some slack after their numerous failures to do it right.

TheGlyphstone

Interesting interview with the director of Iron Man 3, about how Marvel Corporate's executive meddling contributed to some of the problems with it:

http://uproxx.com/movies/shane-black-the-nice-guys-iron-man-3/

(Also a bunch of other stuff after he stops talking about IM3, which isnt important)

Mathim

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on May 22, 2016, 02:34:25 PM
Interesting interview with the director of Iron Man 3, about how Marvel Corporate's executive meddling contributed to some of the problems with it:

http://uproxx.com/movies/shane-black-the-nice-guys-iron-man-3/

(Also a bunch of other stuff after he stops talking about IM3, which isnt important)

If their meddling wasn't responsible for that twist with the Mandarin, it won't make a big difference to me, but I do have to wonder whose idea it was to make the ultimate mistake of adding the little kid sidekick.

SapphireStar

According to several articles, and a statement by one of the actors on the Flash, season 2 finale promises a highly emotional and lots of tears. And, news about Supergirl, looks like the cast is going under some restructuring, and they are possibily dropping some characters like Cat Grant.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on May 22, 2016, 10:26:29 PM
According to several articles, and a statement by one of the actors on the Flash, season 2 finale promises a highly emotional and lots of tears. And, news about Supergirl, looks like the cast is going under some restructuring, and they are possibily dropping some characters like Cat Grant.

Because they're moving production to Canada and she doesn't want to have to move down there? It happens. Wonder how that'll affect reception and ratings for season 2, if it might prevent it from getting a third one.

I don't know if anyone mentioned, but Civil War broke a billion recently. BvS, to my recollection, couldn't quite manage 900M. Would it really be that unethical for WB to bribe someone over at Marvel to come work for them instead, since nobody within their organization seems capable of fixing things? Maybe it's just like one of those things where you have to be outside, looking in to realize how fucked up something is, and while you're on the inside, you just can't see it.

SapphireStar

If she isn't returning, they may be rebooting season 2 so that Supergirl will now fit in with the Arrow/Flash/Legends of Tomorrow universe. Apparently, Arrow and Supergirl will share a superpowered villain. Apparently, Arrow will be doing something never been done before in the finale.

Apparently, according to some reports that Marvel is close to or has picked a director for Captain Marvel. Last I saw, they were looking at Elizabeth Wood for the role of director.

greenknight

Quote from: SapphireStar on May 20, 2016, 05:45:37 PM
Regarding Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.,
Season 3 Finale

Don't Read If You Haven't Watched
Looks like the show is getting a fresh boost. They've now teased the introduction of Life Model Decoys, and potentially Squadron Supreme according to reports.
Also,
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Did anyone notice Coulson is in the field and refers to reporting to "the director"? Does this mean he is no longer acting director. Coupled with the shield he figures the director of SHIELD needs (a week before Civil War dropped) and Captain America's death at the end of CA:CW, I wonder who is now the director  ;)
When you bang your head against the wall, you don't get the answer, you get a headache.

O/O: https://elliquiy.com/forums/onsoffs.php?u=46150

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: greenknight on May 22, 2016, 11:56:57 PM
Also,
Did anyone notice Coulson is in the field and refers to reporting to "the director"? Does this mean he is no longer acting director. Coupled with the shield he figures the director of SHIELD needs (a week before Civil War dropped) and Captain America's death at the end of CA:CW, I wonder who is now the director  ;)

Uhhhh....what Captain America: Civil War movie did you watch? Cause it wasn't the one in theaters.

SapphireStar

I saw that and was curious too. He referred to the "director" when they did the flash forward at the end of the episode. There are so many possibilities who the new director could be. New character? Maria Hill? Tony Stark? He was the director of S.H.I.E.L.D. for a while, especially during the Civil War storyarc. Though I doubt it would be him, though they could do video conferencing. Maybe Melinda May? Or, Adrian Pasdar's character General Talbot?!

greenknight

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on May 23, 2016, 12:03:28 AM

Uhhhh....what Captain America: Civil War movie did you watch? Cause it wasn't the one in theaters.
Sure was. Steve Rogers broke his crew out, not Captain America. He died when Steve left his shield behind.
When you bang your head against the wall, you don't get the answer, you get a headache.

O/O: https://elliquiy.com/forums/onsoffs.php?u=46150

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: greenknight on May 23, 2016, 12:13:49 AM
Sure was. Steve Rogers broke his crew out, not Captain America. He died when Steve left his shield behind.

Alrighty...I guess you can read it that way... ???

SapphireStar

According to an article I just saw, X-Men: Apocalypse has opened internationally so far with over $100 million.

Far eyes

Quote from: greenknight on May 23, 2016, 12:13:49 AM

Eeeh i would very much disagree with that idea

A/A

TheGlyphstone

Yeah, I don't agree either.

The whole point of that scene is that Captain America is more than his shield, that he doesn't need the fancy tool to be a hero, if a renegade one. Steve Rogers is Captain America with or without his star-spangled uniform - throwing away the shield is a renunciation of his allegiance, not his identity.