Kingdom of the Blind (Pathfinder System, Homebrew)

Started by NobleWolf, January 18, 2010, 11:52:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NobleWolf

I'll start a thread tomorrow. The game is still open to new players, no rush.
I decided to allow 3/3.5 materials on a case by case basis, just ask for something if you want it.

The Great Triangle

Now, muskets are costed at 600 and do 1d12, and pistols are costed at 250 and do 1d10, right?   (I might need to change my character's equipment if you decide to change up the rules.  They are kind of overpriced at the moment, although the cost is reasonable if they can fire when wet and don't risk exploding.)

Also, what action is reloading a firearm, and is it affected by taking the rapid reload feat?  (if reloading takes more than a full round action, you'll also need to change the balance of firearms somewhat, possibly balancing them more as a once per encounter magic item than a standard weapon)
Meow!  I'm a kitty; made of fire.

Ons and Offs

NobleWolf

Quote from: The Great Triangle on January 23, 2010, 02:57:54 PM
Now, muskets are costed at 600 and do 1d12, and pistols are costed at 250 and do 1d10, right?   (I might need to change my character's equipment if you decide to change up the rules.  They are kind of overpriced at the moment, although the cost is reasonable if they can fire when wet and don't risk exploding.)

Also, what action is reloading a firearm, and is it affected by taking the rapid reload feat?  (if reloading takes more than a full round action, you'll also need to change the balance of firearms somewhat, possibly balancing them more as a once per encounter magic item than a standard weapon)
As of now I'm just using the Renaissance weapons found in the 3.5 Dungeon Masters Guide. Pathfinder doesn't have such rules right now. I'm hoping the Gamemastery Guide will have more in-depth information on the subject. We'll have to homebrew things, like bayonets. As long as your not submerged in water or equally wet, I would think you could fire them. No rules for them exploding. They take a standard action to reload, but you can take the Rapid Reload feat to reduce that to a move action (treat muskets and pistols as heavy crossbows for feat purposes).

The Great Triangle

A bayonet should probably just be a shortspear that happens to attach to a rifle, I'm thinking.  Possibly make a feat so that you can take an attack penalty to stack the damage of the bayonet and the gun by using them in a single attack. 

You may also want to create variants of weapons that have a pistol integrated into the construction, and allow the use of the same feat with them.  Doing such a modification would be impossible for light weapons, but adds about 400 gp to the cost the parent weapon.  (and raises questions of honor)

Multi barreled firearms are another possibility.  They could cost as much as all of the firearms in them put together (so a three barreled musket is 1,800gp) and suffer a -1 penalty per additional barrel, becoming an exotic weapon and taking no further penalties at the 3rd barell.  (though 5 is pretty much the limit on this sort of firearm.  Historically such guns were called "duck's foot" guns.)  If you allow it, there could also be multi barreled pistols integrated into melee weapons.

Finally, you may want to consider a third class of firearm; the blunderbuss.  The blunderbuss is the Renaissance equivalent of the shotgun, and it deals impressive damage (1d12) over a pitifully short range (30 or so).  The main advantage of the blunderbuss is that it doesn't require standard ammunition, and can be loaded with anything heavy and vaguely sharp.

Ons and Offs

NobleWolf

Ok, bayonets function much like a spears, including proficiency and cost. They must be attached to a musket, otherwise they're light improvised weapons that deal 1d4 (X2). They aren't design for throwing though, so no range increment.
You can have a multi-barreled musket or pistol, just multiply the cost and weight by the number of barrels. Each barrel must be reloaded separately. Anything over two barrels adds a -1 penalty to attacks per additional barrel.
A blunderbuss would be much like a musket (similar cost, proficiency, and 2d6 damage), except it would be a 20ft cone (no attack roll, no criticals or sneak attack, etc.), require a longer reload time(Full-round action, Standard with Rapid Reload), and would have a reflex save for half damage(DC= 1/2 bab plus dex?). Ammunition and powder costs the same, using improvised materials reduces the saving throw DC by 1. Penalty(or bonuses) to attack rolls apply to the saving throw DC instead.

Brandon

Wow I dont know how this escaped my eyes. Is there still room Noblewolf or are you full up on players?
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

NobleWolf

Plenty of room! If we get enough players I'll run multiple games.

Brandon

Awesome, then can I get a confrimation on what people are playing? Im thinking a cleric would be fun or I wouldnt mind trying out some of the beta classes for the Advanced players guide.
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

NobleWolf

Just play what you want, though I'm sure they would appreciate someone with healing abilities.
No hurry on character sheets right now. I'm going to ease into the game so everyone will have a little time to adjust as needed.
I'd much prefer character sheets via mythweavers or some other online source (much easier), but I can settle for them sent via PM or other means.

Delta Echo

Oooh, more Pathfinder....can you sign me up? :)

I'm thinking of a Bard, myself.
O&O - A&A
Southern Gentleman of the Arcadia Clan.

"When the world is against you, find the passion of love to survive"

NobleWolf

Quote from: Delta Echo on January 23, 2010, 06:37:02 PM
Oooh, more Pathfinder....can you sign me up? :)

I'm thinking of a Bard, myself.

Sure thing

Brandon

Rough draft and without character sheet

Name: Kulgnar Barrow
Sexuality: Heterosexual
Race: Dwarf
Class: Cleric (Torag)
Alignment: LG

Description: Kulgnar stands a full four and a half feet tall, making him tall for a dwarf. Like most dwarves he has a heavy build and a lot of muscle on his body showing that he is the kind of man that exercises regularly. Unlike most of his race he has deep, almost pitch black, skin and fiery red hair that is worn long yet looks neatly tied back. His beard however is wild but not as long as one would expect for a man of his age (even though he’s quite young for a dwarf).

He often wears armor stained black over his ceremonial garbs which are always a dark color. He has a holy symbol of Torag tied to his left gauntlet and secured by a small steel chain.

Personality: Kulgnar is opinionated, often gruff, and accepting of those who prove themselves through action. Anyone spending a bit of time with him soon finds a quiet and compassionate man with an intense sense of justice and an iron will to uphold tradition yet whos not afraid to break away from it either. In trying times he often gives words of encouragement and direction, so that action may be taken. Although many find him slow to trust and accept, when one finally does they earn a true friend that would walk into Hades itself to help them.

Background: Kulgnar was born as a noble to the Stonearm clan, members of the aristocracy in the monarchy that ruled over the Gemline mountain’s (there name for the area so it can be fit anywhere), over forty years ago and from the time he could walk people saw the makings of a pious warrior for all their kind. Like all dwarves he was instructed in warfare, tradition, and crafting as a boy by his large family but early on his greatest interest was Torag’s temples and his teachings.

When he came of age Kulgnar choose to pursue a path with Torag and his clergy, and it was not long before he earned the right to summon some of the gods divine power. However during his studies he met a priestess named Helda along the same path. The two shared much of their time together and eventually fell in love with one another. However being that she was of common birth and his high standing in the city neither the clergy nor his family would approve of them seeing each other.

Kulgnar would not listen though, he knew where his heart was and he knew that Torag himself would bless their union if they eventually married, if they god had not approved he would have sent both mates a sign of some kind. To stubborn to be convinced differently he kept seeing Helda and ignoring his superiors and his family and it eventually led to the family seeking out other means to deal with the situation.

Late one night when they were returning from the local public baths they were accosted by a group of thieves and Helda was murdered. Kulgnar did not escape unscathed either but he beat them off and unknown to the men he had recognized a few of them. Days later he burst into one of the men’s homes with a handful of friends for revenge and beat the man within an inch of his life before he learned of his family’s involvement in the plot.

Enraged he took the plot directly to the mountain king and exposed everything, putting the thief before his majesty and arranged for his love to be buried in the cities hall of hero’s. When everything was said and done he burned a clan tattoo off his body, forsaked the clergy that he once called comrades, and decided to set out into the world. Since then he has walked the land, rendering whatever aid he can to others

Religion: Some would say dwarves like Kulgnar only worship Torag because of tradition and while this is partly true they miss the point that tradition is how clerics like him begin their worship but it is not why they continue. Kulgnar himself has felt the will of Torag and felt the power of him rushing through his veins whenever he casts a spell or renders aid to others. He feels that no other faith embodies the dwarven ideals as well as Torag and that Torag seeks to continue to forge the world, through his followers.

Level/class: 3 cleric

Attributes
Strength 13
Dexterity 10
Constitution 12
Intelligence 12
Wisdom 18
Charisma 12

Base attack bonus: +2
Armor class: 20 = 10 +0 dexterity +9 armor +1 shield
CMB/CMD: +3/13
Fortitude save: +4 = +3 base +1 Constitution
Reflex save: +1 = +1 base +0 Dexterity
Will save: +7 = +3 base +4 Wisdom

Skills
Knowlege(Religion): 7 = 3 ranks +1 intelligence +3 class skill bonus
Heal: 7 = 3 ranks +4 wisdom +3 class skill bonus
Spellcraft: 7 = 3 ranks +1 intelligence +3 class skill bonus

Feats
Armor proficiency: Light armor, medium armor, heavy armor, light and heavy shields
Weapon Proficiency: Simple weapons, battle ax, heavy pick, warhammer
1st level Feat: combat casting
3rd level Feat: Heavy Armor profieciency

Special abilities
Acid dart (7/7 uses): 1d6+1 acid damage as a standard action. Range 30 ft
Channel energy(DC 12): 2d6 damage 4/4 uses
Darkvision 60 ft
Defensive training: +4 dodge to AC vs the giant subtype
Domains: Earth and Good
Greed: +2 appraise checks on non-magical stone, metal, or gemstone goods
Hatred: +1 attack roll vs goblinoid and orc subtypes
Hardy: +2 to saves vs poisons, spells, and spell like abilities
Stability: +4 CMD on bull rush and trip attempts
Stone cunning: +2 perception to notice odd stonework
Touch of good(7/7 uses): As a standard action grants +1 to attack rolls, skill checks, saving throws for 1 round

Spells
Orisons (DC 14): Detect Poison, Light, Mending, Stabilize
1st level-3+1 per day (DC ): Bless, Comprehend languages, Cure light wounds, protection from evil*
2nd level-2+1 per day (DC ): Cure moderate wounds, Silence, soften earth and stone*
*notes a domain spell

Weapons
Masterwork warhammer (312)
Masterwork Heavy crossbow (350)
Armor
Masterwork Full plate (1650)
Masterwork Light wooden shield (153)
Other equipment
Backback (2)
Bedroll (1 sp)
Holy symbol, Wooden (1)
Spell component pouch (5)
Cleric's vestments (-)
Healer's kit (50)
Bolts x20 (2)
Waterskin (1)

Equipments weight: 88 pounds (medium load)
Personal Weight: 156
Total Weight: 244
Purse: 47 pp 3 gp 9 sp

Carrying capacity
Light 0-50
Medium 51-100
Heavy 101-150

Lyell

Blargh. And here I did the sheet before the flavor. Woulda done it sooner but my weekend has been horrible so far.

Sigmund

Male Human;

Medium Humanoid ( Human ) Cleric 3

Hit Dice: (3d8)+3

Hit Points: 24

Initiative: +1

Speed: Walk 20 ft. (Med Load)

AC: 19 (touch 11, flatfooted 18)

Attacks: Masterwork Mace (Heavy/Cold Iron) +4;
Masterwork Starknife (Cold Iron) +4;
Masterwork Starknife (Cold Iron/Thrown) +4;

Damage: Masterwork Mace (Heavy/Cold Iron) 1d8+1;
Masterwork Starknife (Cold Iron) 1d4+1;
Masterwork Starknife (Cold Iron/Thrown) 1d4;

Vision: Face / Reach: 5 ft. / 5 ft.

Special Attacks: Channel Positive Energy

Special Qualities: Aura of Chaos, Aura of Good, Bit of Luck, Liberation, Orisons, Spontaneous Casting

Saves: Fortitude: +4, Reflex: +2, Will: +7

Abilities: STR 12 (+1), DEX 12 (+1), CON 12 (+1), INT 10 (+0), WIS 18 (+4), CHA 13 (+1)

Skills: Acrobatics: -5; Appraise: 5; Bluff: 1; Climb: -5; Craft (Armor): 4; Craft (Untrained): 0; Diplomacy: 5; Disguise: 1; Escape Artist: -5; Fly: -5; Heal: 8; Intimidate: 1; Knowledge (Arcana): 4; Knowledge (Planes): 4; Knowledge (Religion): 4; Perception: 4; Perform (Untrained): 1; Ride: -5; Sense Motive: 8; Spellcraft: 4; Stealth: -5; Survival: 5; Swim: -5; Use Magic Device: 2;

Feats: Armor Proficiency, Light, Armor Proficiency, Medium, Extra Channel, Improved Channel, Selective Channeling, Shield Proficiency, Simple Weapon Proficiency

Challenge Rating: 2

Alignment: Chaotic Good

Possessions:  Backpack; Bedroll; Bell; Caltrops; Candle; Case (Map or Scroll); Chain (10 Ft.); Flint and Steel; Healer's Kit; Holy Symbol (Silver); Holy Water (Flask); Ink (1 oz. Vial); Inkpen; Lantern (Bullseye); Lock (Superior); Masterwork Breastplate (Armor Spikes); Masterwork Mace (Heavy/Cold Iron); Masterwork Shield (Heavy/Steel/Shield Spikes); Masterwork Starknife (Cold Iron); Oil (1 Pint Flask); Paper (Sheet); Piton; Rope (Silk/50 ft.); Sack; Vestments (Cleric's);

Deity: Desna

Domains: Liberation () Luck ()

Prepared Spells
Prepared Spell List:  Cleric (CL 3): 0th - create water , light , mending (DC 14) , purify food and drink (DC 14) 1st - divine favor (DC ) , shield of faith (DC 15) , summon monster i , *true strike (DC ) 2nd - aid , bull's strength (DC 16) , consecrate             

Cleric - Spells per Day: (4/3+1/2+1/0/0/0/0/0/0/ DC:14 + spell level);

Known: Level 0: Bleed, Create Water, Detect Magic, Detect Poison, Guidance, Light, Mending, Purify Food and Drink, Read Magic, Resistance, Stabilize, Virtue Level 1: Bane, Bless, Bless Water, Cause Fear, Command, Comprehend Languages, Cure Light Wounds, Deathwatch, Detect Chaos, Detect Evil, Detect Good, Detect Law, Detect Undead, Divine Favor, Doom, Endure Elements, Entropic Shield, Hide from Undead, Inflict Light Wounds, Magic Stone, Magic Weapon, Obscuring Mist, Protection from Evil, Protection from Evil, Protection from Law, Remove Fear, Remove Fear, Sanctuary, Shield of Faith, Summon Monster I, True Strike Level 2: Aid, Aid, Align Weapon, Align Weapon (Good Only), Augury, Bear's Endurance, Bull's Strength, Calm Emotions, Consecrate, Cure Moderate Wounds, Darkness, Delay Poison, Eagle's Splendor, Enthrall, Find Traps, Hold Person, Inflict Moderate Wounds, Make Whole, Owl's Wisdom, Remove Paralysis, Remove Paralysis, Resist Energy, Restoration (Lesser), Shatter, Shield Other, Silence, Sound Burst, Spiritual Weapon, Status, Summon Monster II, Undetectable Alignment, Zone of Truth
When you absolutely, positively have to kill it with fire...accept no substitutes.

The Great Triangle

I suggest for the saving throw on a blunderbuss, you should just have the attack roll set the save DC.  Since it's only 2d6 damage, I don't think this would really cause too big of an issue. 

And hooray!  We has a healomancer!   (oh why, why did I have to play the straight man?)  However, our cleric is lacking in selective channel, which is a pretty darned important feat when you're channeling in combat.  (unless we're dealing with the undead)  That makes having extra channel and improved channel a bit of a waste, unless the GM is planning on sending the party through many encounters per day, or we suck so much that we get our asses kicked before we even damage the enemy.  (which might happen if the GM uses a lot of buffed arcane spellcasters)

Ons and Offs

NobleWolf

It seems as though we may have two groups, if we get anymore interest. Either way, I'll start you all at the same place, perhaps let you sort out parties. If you've got any requests or questions before we start, now would be a good time to PM me. I'm still accepting players though.

As for the blunderbuss, that would work as well, but saving throws tend to be a set DC. I based it upon how spells and similar cone effects work. It would be easier to make the DC higher than a spell or ability, but the damage is constant so that's fine.

NobleWolf

rancorius

NobleWolf

Yes, it's still open. Just run the character by me.

Muse

Yo!  If you still have room, Valgreyer and I will be sending aplications shortly.  I will be applying with a Chaotic Good (or Chaotic Neutral, good tendencies) Orc with Barbarian 1, Tantrist 2
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

NobleWolf

Quote from: Muse on January 24, 2010, 11:14:42 PM
Yo!  If you still have room, Valgreyer and I will be sending aplications shortly.  I will be applying with a Chaotic Good (or Chaotic Neutral, good tendencies) Orc with Barbarian 1, Tantrist 2
We've got just enough for you both and those who have posted interest so far.

If we have anyone drop out or disappear, I'll bump this thread for more players.

The Great Triangle

I'm somewhat leery of the tantrist from a balance perspective.  It's basically a wizard that gets slightly more spells, cleric domains, and uses constitution as its casting stat, which is already a stat with many benefits.  (though d4 hit dice cut into this slightly)  The sex to recover spells each day is a bit of a balancing factor, but it's so big of a penalty that the GM really can't deny the tantrist his or her sex, since she'll basically be useless for the day.

On the other hand, aside from constitution as the casting stat, there's nothing really wrong with the tantrist as compared to a pathfinder wizard or sorcerer.  We are kinda missing a rogue and already have two sorcerers though...  (though we're quite covered for clerics)

Ons and Offs

Muse

I should point out that we are using point buy.  (20 points?  Either that's scary or pathfinder does it difrently.)  And that Tantrist needs BOTH intelegence AND constitution. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

The Great Triangle

My mistake, I misread the class, because it uses rules abslolutely no WotC class uses ever.  Even with point buy though, there's very little reason to buy up your intelligence much, since you're already getting bonus feats to raise spell DCs and it's very easy to simply use passive spells with no saving throws to negate any disadvantage from low intelligence.

Basically, there's pretty much no reason in the world a Tantrist shouldn't have a constitution of 18 or 20.  (I must admit that my objection on balance grounds doesn't really hold water though, so I'll hold back and simply say I think the flavor of the class is stupid.)

Ons and Offs

NobleWolf

Quote from: Muse on January 25, 2010, 02:44:01 AM
I should point out that we are using point buy.  (20 points?  Either that's scary or pathfinder does it difrently.)  And that Tantrist needs BOTH intelegence AND constitution.
I'm guessing you're new to the pathfinder system. You may want to check out this site to get started.

In pathfinder, Tantrist would receive 1d6 hp per level. I don't find the class unbalanced, it has the same number of spells per day as wizard without the perks granted from Pathfinder Wizard. Plus, without boosting both CON and INT, he won't be able to keep up with their spellcasting either.

Matthew

I imagine I'm a bit late on replying, but I'm a big fan of pathfinder... if you're still looking for players, I'd love to put one together, if not, put me down as an alternate if you like  :-)