News:

Main Menu

League of Legends

Started by Aiden, May 22, 2011, 02:26:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shjade

It was mostly just an excuse to link the finals. 16-2, good jumping jeebis.

I mean, I like Dignitas. I've liked them since they were running support GP as Team Rock Solid and crushing faces. They were playing well this tournament.

Then Moscow 5 treated them like a pack of solo queue scrubs and absolutely destroyed their everything. I was in disbelief watching it live. Disbelief, and awe.

I don't know why players like HotshotGG have such a huge following when players like anyone on Moscow 5 completely outclasses him. It's like they're playing a whole different game. Three solo lanes with double roaming gank squad? Oh, the poor meta.

*goes back to playing ARAM games*
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Sephiriel

Anyone has a top 5 support champion list? I took a long break from LOL and don't know many of the new champs out there and I'm thinking about starting to play again. I mainly play support so..any recommendations?

Shjade

Considering there's only a total of maybe 7 or 8 support champs...

Soraka, Janna, Taric, Karma, Sona and Alistair are the big six, not necessarily in that order. Other champions that can be/have been played in a support role: Zilean, Nidalee, Kayle, Gangplank (using his team AD/speed buff ability for harass assistance and his Q shot for harass), Blitzcrank...I may be leaving someone out, but those are the only names that come to mind as anything resembling "viable" supports.

Blitz, GP and Zilean are more "kill lane" supports than "heal things up" supports, so if you're saying you mainly play support I'm assuming you mean in the sense of mostly just keeping your carry alive rather than killing the enemy laners, in which case those three probably won't suit you as much as the others. Kayle's also fairly weak in that sense: her heal is very low and costs too much to spam, but her aggression potential is pretty high. Nidalee's also better at poking than healing. Thus why they're not in the big six.
◕/◕'s

Sephiriel

Thanks Shajde for a thorough answer. I played a lot of Janna and Sona so far, but only a bit of Alistar and it kind of left me dissapointed. Out of the six you mentioned is there one you'd most def want on your team? I'm not looking for an "universal recipe" or something, just wanting to know if I can play safely with one of them on any type of team.

Brandon

Quote from: Jane Storm on March 13, 2012, 05:46:21 AM
Anyone has a top 5 support champion list? I took a long break from LOL and don't know many of the new champs out there and I'm thinking about starting to play again. I mainly play support so..any recommendations?

Sona tends to be the one everyone likes the most and I can see why. Soraka is usually the second pick. Im not sure where the meta goes from there.

For my personal top choices it starts with Taric. Then it goes Lux, Soraka, and Sona. I dont really have any other support champions yet but Im sure theres some really good ones
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Shjade

Eeehhh...hard to say; they all have roles they fill best. If the person playing the support is great at their champion, I'd probably want Alistair most out of all of them because he has the most control and kill setup ability. Alistair is a massive obstacle for any enemy team trying to set up a channeled spell or a good initiation of any kind, really.

If you just want a good "general purpose" support, though? Taric. Fairly good heal, great anti-AD passive, easy-to-use stun. His shatter and ultimate are harder to learn how to use to their greatest effectiveness, but you still support your team pretty well just by being around in a teamfight (at least if the enemy team has some physical damage output; he's somewhat less useful against AP-heavy teams). I'd say Taric and Soraka are the most straightforward, easy-to-use supports.

Sona is very effective as a sustainer and her AE stun is excellent for either initiation or counter-initiation (much like Alistair's pulv/headbutt combo, but on a much longer cooldown), but she's a hell of a lot squishier than Taric or Soraka and twisting auras for maximum effect is a little more complex than the always-on passives of those two.

Ultimately it comes down to how well you play your support of choice. Janna's pretty much the most popular support in tournament play for all her zone control and the bonus AD granted by her shield, for instance, but in "average" play? Most players just...don't use her to her full potential, often making her seem weaker for her lack of a heal when she's against a lane that has a healer (if you can't consistently shield your teammate before they take damage, you'd probably have been better off picking a support that heals damage rather than prevents it).

I'd forgotten Lux is labeled as a support. I don't think I've seen Lux played as a support...ever, but it is possible. The only time I've seen Lux in a duo lane she's been paired with Morganna for the never-ending snare chain of doom, which isn't exactly a "support" role for either of them.
◕/◕'s

ofDelusions

Leona is also amazing support. She can make other supports and AD carries go splat very easily if they are not careful.

Brandon

Quote from: Shjade on March 13, 2012, 04:26:02 PM
I'd forgotten Lux is labeled as a support. I don't think I've seen Lux played as a support...ever, but it is possible. The only time I've seen Lux in a duo lane she's been paired with Morganna for the never-ending snare chain of doom, which isn't exactly a "support" role for either of them.

Normally I play Lux as an AP carry kind of champion but all of her abilities grant better battlefield control. Also now that they give vision they also make for excellent pairings with ultimates. Just the other night we got into a team fight and two of the guys got away when I hit my ult and revealed the map. Then our TF teleports in while our pantheon simultaneously jumps on top of them. Sometimes the extra vision means everything although I do love sniping with my laser  ;D

As support she can be tough to play. It requires good timing and understanding of your opponents abilities. I find she works best when paired with Ashe or Graves
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Samael

If you want to use the currently best Support, grab Soraka.
Riot intended to nerf her, but instead they buffed her Infuse, which means you can keep up a lane mate indefinitely.
Her heal also gives a great amount of Armor, and with her ulti you can snatch assists from all over the map even during laning phase.
Second choice would be Sona, due to her ulti, and the quick sustain she offers, although she got nerfed hard.
Taric is fun for if your lane mate can go for the kill, but unfortunately he becomes a bit worthless past laning phase (and I hate that, since I got some of his awesome skins).

I've not seen Kill lanes succeed much so far.
If I take soraka, and the other side has Lux/Leona/Alistar/blitz, my lane usually wins 9 of 10 times, simply because we outsustain, plus, Soraka's infuse can silence an opponent (up to 2.5 seconds, which is -huge-), and pretty much craps all over other supports. The range of it is also greater than Taric's stun, for example, so you can keep opponents on arm length, with comparable cd to boot.
Grab Soraka, get the gold per 5 items, then buy wards, wards, wards. Take the CDR boots, because Soraka -really- likes CDR, then go for aura items as necessary, i.e. Aegis, and the new Zekes is great, since it brings a lot to your team, as well as HP and CDR for you.
http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wiki/Zeke%27s_Herald
On & Offs | My Games | Apologies & Absences | Tumblr
Et comme des fleurs de glace, on grandit dans la nuit
La lumière nous efface, dans la noirceur on vit
Comme des fleurs de glace, on rêve et on reste unis
Des fleurs au cœur de l'insomnie

"Eisblume - Fleurs De Glace"

Sephiriel

Based on what you guys have told me, I'm going to try both Taric and Soraka and see which I like most. Most of my teammates switch champions like socks (everyday) so that will give me a lot of situations to test these out. I'm gonna try Lux as well, just to see how well she supports. Thanks for the item rec. Samael, it's really been a long time since I last logged on so I guess some things have changed in that field as well.

Brandon

If you're going to do Lux, the item build I recomend (keeping in mind I play her more as an AP carry) is start with Meki pendant and a ward. Grab tear of the goddess as soon as you can, then boots of speed. Then rush your Rabadon's deathcap. From there I build the archangel's staff, evil tome, t2 boots (either merc treads or ionian boots of lucidity), rod of ages, and finally lich bane. Replace lich bane with any defensive items as needed

Your job with that build is to prevent the enemy from getting kills or ensuring your carry gets kills

Samael

Nhat Nguyen is trying the new champion, Lulu, right now on the public test realms.
http://www.own3d.tv/live/10955/Nhat_Nguyen

QuoteAbilities:

Pix, Faerie Companion (Passive) - Pix fires magical bolts of energy whenever his owner attacks another enemy unit. These bolts are homing, but can be intercepted by other units.
    Glitterlance - Pix and Lulu each fire a bolt of magical energy that heavily slows all enemies it hits. An enemy can only be damaged by one bolt.
    Whimsy - If cast on an ally, grants them movement speed and ability power for a short time. If cast on an enemy, turns them into an adorable critter that can't attack or cast spells.
    Help, Pix! - If cast on an ally, commands Pix to jump to an ally and shield them. He then follows them and aids their attacks. If cast on an enemy, commands Pix to jump to an enemy and damage them. He then follows them and grants you vision of that enemy.
    Wild Growth (Ultimate) - Lulu enlarges an ally, knocking enemies away from them and granting them a large amount of bonus health. For the next few seconds, that ally gains an aura that slows nearby enemies.

She really looks good.
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/news/lulu-fae-sorceress-revealed

Brandon

Wait, her ultimate buffs a guy where it knocks away enemies and gives them a slowing aura? Am I the only one who see's that as a little counterproductive? With aura's you want them close, not far away...

Shjade

Quote from: Brandon on March 17, 2012, 12:25:48 AM
Wait, her ultimate buffs a guy where it knocks away enemies and gives them a slowing aura? Am I the only one who see's that as a little counterproductive? With aura's you want them close, not far away...

It's an aura of discouragement. Zone control.

Say both teams are hanging around in front of the inner turret in mid lane, trading pokes, looking for a good initiation. Initiation happens - let's say one side has Amumu and he jumps into their team and ults in the middle of them. Lulu ults Amumu: enemy team gets completely split up by getting pushed away from Amumu in different directions. They now have the following options:

1 - Run away.
2 - Run through a slowing aura to try to regroup and fight.
3 - Fight individually/in small groups wherever they got split up by the ult splash.

The aura doesn't need to actively slow anyone to be a discouragement. Just being there means it's in the way: they either have to get close enough to be slowed to gather for a teamfight, or they have to go around it to not be slowed and thereby be more split up.

Rough hypothetical, I know, but I can see uses for it. It's also a nice anti-chase escape, where it knocks back initially and then makes it hard for people to catch up again by slowing them if they get close. Can also probably use it to pin people to walls and be stuck in the slow aura anyway.
◕/◕'s

Samael

Having tried her out on the PBE a while ago, for like 15 mins, I can say that her Ulti not so much knocking champions away (only minimally) as that it will be great for the knockup itself. I already foresee nerfs to her though. Her glitterlance at level 4, with 15%CDR behind, has a CD of 7.5, and costs a mere 55mana (spammable like hell), it also nearly cleans a creep wave (and that is with zero AP stuff, but only Support items). Whimsy is neat, comparable to a silence, but a bit stronger, and as a speed buff it adds actually a nice increase (If you use it on yourself, you fly on her staff). Help, Pix is really something to get used to. You can pop it on an ally, and if you use your attack, the pixie, while sitting -on- your ally, will also attack the enemy you aim for, but from your allies position from, which opens quite a few tactical options.

Her autoattacks make last hitting super easy, btw.
She's a great support champion, I feel, but she'll take a hell of a lot of skill and good judgment to use properly.
Oh, and her ratios are rather good, so I have the feeling you want to build your 2x Gp5 items, then go straight for AP stuff, instead of aura items.
AP goes into the ulti as well, for example, as well as the shield she can give.

ofDelusions

Quote from: Brandon on March 17, 2012, 12:25:48 AM

You can use it on somelike AD carry who the enemy wants to focus on, and make that hard by first knocking them away and then making it easier for him to kite.

Samael

Quick report:
Lulu rules pretty hard.
The times the ulti saved team mates and helped turn fights around is incredible.

Second report: Still doesn't save your game if your team mates insist on running one after the other into five enemies.
...5 times in a row.

Samael

Shjade

In order of appearance: Amumu, Irelia, Ryze, Lux, Warwick, Lee Sin, Caitlyn, Blitzcrank, Xin Zhao (with additional audio from [noembed]this guy[/noembed] on the hyoo hiyah etc.), Cassiopeia, Master Yi, Garen, Dr. Zoidberg.
◕/◕'s

Roleplay Frog

Samael

Jungle Maokai rocks my socks.
That's all.

Solstice

Having come back to LoL after a 4+ month absence...

OH MY GOD EIGHT NEW CHAMPIONS?!

I mean, uh...

I'm learning Ahri. :s She's fun, definitely taking a bit of getting used to.
Apoloies & Absences - Updated 11/16/2014 - Around and available? Hopefully?

Kaernak

I played some Ahri today.  She's so simple!  It's as though they made everything I like about certain other characters come to life in one package!

SinXAzgard21

Me and goldie started playing recently, I've most always play Fiddle and Tristana as they were the first I learned.  Goldie is playing with Ashe currently.
If you know me personally, you know how to contact me.

Samael

Not sure if it's been mentioned before, but I recently got ahold of this:
http://enigmablade.net/eric/index.html
You can change your recommended items with it, and I'm absolutely in love with it.
And yes, they will be changed ingame.