Interest Check Ancient Rome, Ancient Greece. (Perhaps mythological perhaps not)

Started by Kate, October 15, 2009, 03:20:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kate

Ancient Rome, Ancient Greece.

(Perhaps mythological perhaps not)

Thoughts ?

ChrisRobin

Quote from: Kate on October 15, 2009, 03:20:38 AM
Ancient Rome, Ancient Greece.

(Perhaps mythological perhaps not)

Thoughts ?
Hello Kate
I am interested in mythology, and classical mythology is ripe with plots both sexual and adventurous.:Dionysus or Bacchus with their orgies, the Mars and Aphrodite entanglement. I love the slavery and aristocracy mixture in ancient Rome and all those demented emperors. Their is so much material in ancient Greece as well. Where do your interests lie? Love both settings.....
O, that a man might smile and smile and be a villain.

Xanatos

Rome has always been fascinating to me. Rome is especially ripe with sexual opportunities as well as non-sexual. I do not claim to be an expert on Rome but nor am I wet behind the ears concerning it. I, however, am lacking in my knowledge of Greece. I know much much more about Rome. Especially is military.

Is this looking to be a straight time line with no tweaking besides just adding in our own, or will other twists be thrown in, like vampires, or magic? I am not against a straight setting, I like Rome well enough.

Kate

The reason why I think it may be good - is that the players can all be nobility or wealthy influential citizens of different districts.

so ... one temple/district may be "vanilla" sex
so ... one temple/district may be BDSM sex, another exotic etc.

And all effectively are "storytellers" ... ie you can say what is happening in your manor etc, sometimes
we meet or invite others into our manner... but no one really controls the thread - everyone contributes at effectively equal tier.

Xanatos

Hmm, that is an interesting concept. Perhaps there should be something which 'glues' them all together, however? Some people might not be up for running their own manor/thread. I like the idea, myself, but it could theoretically prove to be a problem/deterrent to some.

I like the idea of nobility or someone with at least enough money to basically be a noble, as this allows freedom to do things, where a simple Plebe would be screwed more or less, unless the player was highly creative.

ChrisRobin

I would certainly like to participate in this inventive expose of ancient Rome. I would enjoy playing the sadistic and aloof nobleman who presides over a villa dedicated to the arts of pain and pleasure....

Xanatos

Not sure what I would do... but it will be nice... scintillating... perhaps abusive? -laughs- I like so much, I could go bad or good, really kinky or more normal.

Kate

A lot of sexual hedonism existed during those times.

(the greeks elevated beastiality in their culture ... it may be that the time that there are tension between cultures (ie rome has not taken over greece yet) - but still it would be good if some interaction existed btween the characters.

We could meet during gladiator shows, (some could be a gladiator or free them ... some may try and free slaves and organise ships so they can sail back to africa ...

rumors of mythical creatures pestering some places could reach your ears ...

RubySlippers

Rome might be fun, I love Roman History and all. Greece to after all they had the greatest bisexual/lesbian of all time come from there Sappho. And Sparta was renowned for such activities with the men off to train or make war all the time. So both are good for me.

Kate

Actually ruby this could be fascinating for you..

We can stage it as mythical rome/greece - where manticores or minitors exist (unless most prefer otherwise ... or more likely there could a thread that does have mythological stuff happen - but main threads don't)

I have very crude turn ons compared to most woman (namely bestiality - it doesn't have to be explored in this theme though as this has a lot of potentional for "refined sexuality" as well.
I don't really want to have threads that turn others off which are in them - the "Gods" of the greeks visited woman in the form or swans etc to fool other gods... and it is something that is practiced in some temples) but ... but different temples practiced different things..

Some greek temples would be plush but mainly tranquil.
Some would make even my eyes bulge.

Skirmishes happened all the time ... (may be at a time christianity may or may not have existed  for example ... ruby's charactyer could save his crusifiction - but "toying" with direct biblical references may offend some... perhaps leave it alone ... it may be safer to set it before the time of christ.

Mind you ... rome is very arrogant - slavery is everywhere - corruption - everywhere etc.

But it would have its own charm - if you happened to be a wealthy citizen ... life is sweet.

Xanatos

Well, I am not totally hot on the mythical aspects of the periods, I would prefer a normal setting. Maybe this is where the multiple threads could come in? I also would prefer a pre-Christianity, as yes that likely might ruffle some feathers even here on E; as I would be one who would object.

Kate

Then lets make it non-mythical, pre-Christianity
(so none are tempted to rp JC doing stuff)

ChrisRobin

Hello Kate

I could go with or leave mythological beings although a satyr or a centaur for example would prove an interesting addition to a temple of dominance and submission. What a treat to write. There were certainly enough depraved nobility and pliant slaves to create a wealth of  episodes. If we go non-mythological of course I can always have a few of my minions dress as and mimic the half human, half beastly creatures. A cruel and ravishing minotaur could lurk in the labyrinth-like gardens... Sorry, I am starting to write the thing..

I still think we need a motivated reason for gathering and reporting. Perhaps a variation on the Canterbury Tales would prove interesting. The troop is traveling, all for their own purposes, to  Athens or some such location. To pass the time each could amuse the crowd with details of their lives and adventures... Because of the varied personalities some might hate one story and love the next. The reactions could be of as much interest as the tales.

The revelations could go on for quite some time, think of the Arabian Nights. I am not married to the idea but it is one way to throw these misfits together and have them tell their stories.

I would like to hear of other possibilities as well.
I must admit that I am already gleefully creating my dastardly master in my head.
Thank you

PS. I did indeed laugh out loud at your request for a brave soul to tackle the JC issue. Can you imagine the outrage... Almost makes it worth a try. But, not me..
"That way madness lies...."

Kate

chrisrobin lovely avatar.

Well if mythological greece/rome interests some we can have a thread or area where they are relevent (like some islands) ... ideally though it would be good to have core threads that don't relate to them.

ChrisRobin

Thanks. It's Dorian Gray.

I'm aboard for whatever venue we eventually settle upon. A little island of mythological wonder could serve as a nice side trip. Those who do not want to visit could blissfully sail by.

Kate

chrisrobin ... if your inspired ... any chance of some CG pics that you think would suit ?

ChrisRobin

Hello Kate
I would certainly be interested in unearthing some art. Just to be certain: We are looking at Greece and Rome in the first century BCE. Are we agreed on that?
Thanks
Chris

RubySlippers

Real history could be fun, so could mythology.

But I was thinking of being a minor oracle, a deity passing on prophecies through her. And I will note at the time they were very respected and provided for. And there were more than the big oracles around.

I was thinking if Greece an oracle of Gaia the ancient primordial goddess of the Earth a very respected one. If in Rome the goddess Cybele. It will give me a chance to do drugs and make obscure messages to perplex the faithful.

If in Greece I vote for Sparta they had an interesting culture and respected women and men, maybe not equally but hell women could at least be mindful of their independence. If Rome well a major house would be nice. My character fits into either Spartans would honor an oracle being very religious and provide for her. If a noble house a family oracle would be nice since Romans always sought the favor of the gods. And being a priestess would be a very respectable thing for a woman of quality and allow her social freedoms.

Kate

Women belonging to powerful or influential FAMILIES were respected. At the extrreme end of the society all societies are the same - those with power have wealth those with wealth have power - no matter their gender.

Priestesses were also - those afflicted with the gods or goddesses were protected and cherished - so sure ruby - priestess of whatever you feel like sounds good.

As far as when it should be set ... my god there are MANY times that would be interesting... it depends on how chummy we want Greeks and the roman's to be.
have a look at this..

http://www.wsu.edu/~dee/ROME/CONQHELL.HTM

Xanatos

How about Rome in its Golden Age, I am not sure if this is Pre-Christian, but would offer a vast majority of Europe, parts of Eurasia, Egypt, and all of the north African coast line to play with. Since the Roman's were likely always a hedonistic people, timeline should not affect any sexual aspects we wish to pursue.

Oh and that link was quite interesting. Thanks for sharing.

ChrisRobin

Thanks for that Kate. I am happy with any era that you chose to go with. They were such interesting times. I am reminded of the Irish curse, "May you live in interesting times..." We will have plenty of material wherever we chose to set our thread...

ChrisRobin

Hello Kate I have found some nice images but have to find out how to download them. I'll find out in the how to section.

Kate

We have a range of about 3-4 hundred years for the height of the roman empire
The exact time could be refined if we want an evil or a good emperor on the throne.

RubySlippers

Quote from: Xanatos on October 18, 2009, 12:47:53 AM
How about Rome in its Golden Age, I am not sure if this is Pre-Christian, but would offer a vast majority of Europe, parts of Eurasia, Egypt, and all of the north African coast line to play with. Since the Roman's were likely always a hedonistic people, timeline should not affect any sexual aspects we wish to pursue.

Oh and that link was quite interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Yes and no. There was a very pro-marriage and austerior period during the Golden Age that had laws for example against bachelors. If you want fun try the time of Caligula to the Emperor Claudius.

ChrisRobin

Caligula is certainly the most notorious and interesting. The PBS series "I Claudius" was a wonderful intro the machinations of Augustus and his descendants. The premise in that show was Claudius writing his memoirs. Authoring, Histories like Josephus et. al. was very popular at the time. There are a number of accounts of everyday Rome and Romans both extant and lost.

That might provide us with a through line to our tales. A biographer, almost reporter like Pliny could interview various people in order to present an account of the noble houses, or the aristocracy or the degradation of Roman virtue. The chosen characters could report as often as they were moved to do so...

Xanatos

It looks like your wanting almost a reporter like story... awkward way to say it yes, sorry. Couldn't think of anything better.

I was thinking this would be more of a normal style, where we just have our characters behave/interact with NPC's/PC's/Environ.

No offense, but I do not see how a reporter styled documentary could even be remotely interesting. Even the more polished documentaries/biographies/histories can and mostly are intensely boring. I love history do not get me wrong, have an intense fascination for it but never the less I cannot read the above listed forms of history for long before I just 'die' of boredom.

RubySlippers

No on this for me also the BIO style. And what good is being a oracle and telling Caligula in a typical oracle fashion his reign is to be two years, one of the most accursed of Emperors and will die a bloody death. And seeing what he does. Not like that but it will be in there someplace.  ;D

Oracles always seem to be rather cryptic to protect their bases.

ChrisRobin

That is absolutely fine with me. I'm trying to think of a motivated reason for these varied characters to come together. I would love interacting as Xanatos and Ruby Slippers are suggesting. Onward and upward...

Kate

All right... well.

We could be nobels or influential people (remember nobles had plenty of oppitunities for gossiping and spying on others - a "report style character" could just be a noble that employers spys in others houses ... and other noble do talk to them trying to work out whats going on or what dirty they can throw at someone else during public forums).

... we could have it set during a time of Caligula - where we ourselves are very afraid of him and do our best not to get his attention... it would be very hard to be at this time without choosing options that are far from good (lesser of two evils thing).

Thoughts ?

Starkweather

SPARTANS! PREPARE FOR GLORY!

No? Okay.

Anyway, I'm in.

Well, I'll try to get in.

HI, KATE! -Wavewave.-
Ons and Offs
Please add me on LastFM!

I could have made these excuses in my sleep,
As if anyone had doubted them at all.
But if we arm Eritrea then we won't have to pay her
And everyone can go home.

Kate

history can be more or less true from the onset but after that it is how the players move things - not how known history implies things were

Xanatos

I like the idea of being a noble or an influential person, allows for many avenues.

I actually do not know much of Caligula. By the sound of him, was he akin to Stalin and murdered people or was he just fearsome and feared even if it wasn't necessarily ruthless as in murder lots of people?

Kate

RubySlippers

I like Claudius during this time he was very cagey to survive all the purges. And I love how he became emperor the person guard made him emperor and well he told the Senate, if you don't like it talk to THEM. lol

But if I recall he was a fine Emperor more or less.

Caligula did make the palace into a brothel and made the noblewomen come and whore, save the Vestals and a few others such as those serving a god or goddess. Oddly I think since he thought he was Zeus that he couldn't meddle with the clergy of a brother or sister its just bad form.

Kate

it is interesting.

Caligula would give the place an evil feel - so really we can have evil with undercurrents of good or good with undercurrents of evil really...

hard choice huh ?

ChrisRobin

It such a large and varied canvas that we could all have the scope to portray whatever character we chose.

RubySlippers

I'm going with the prophetess idea then who has a vow of celibacy and chastity, thankfully virginity vows technically of that period only considered men and women together. Same sex relationships oddly were excluded.

Will be from whatever family we choose but not live with them she will have her own small holy shrine someone in the good section of the city and that will be her home. Likely going by her first name only since she is in service to a goddess so her loyalties are not just with her family.

Kate

chrisrobin / anyone that knows anything about ancient greece

... keen on helping me set the stage ?

RubySlippers

I would pick a City-State first. Minos and Sparta were the most egalitarian, Sparta the men would be older to not be in their units and women often got by without men around. And were often barely dressed. Minos more traditional but women had more rights if I recall. Most of the others the role for women would be very limited.

Then google away on these.

I favor Sparta since I can get jiggity with other women and no one will give a damned its expected. Minos my character would have to be far more discrete.

RubySlippers

Kate

lol i have to do a bit of reading i think before i get started ... (unless any feel they wish to set the first scene themselves)

Xanatos

So were not starting in Rome? This change feels a bit awkward, doing all this talking about Rome and now suddenly were in Greece?

RubySlippers

Maybe we should do characters first, I tend to favor Sparta they were just so unique. Can change her as needed naturally.

Iezabel, Daughter of Anastasios
The Gaian Oracle

http://fantasti.cc/user/windy67/images/image/39105

The eldest of five children of Anstasios and Helia and the only daughter she was always the pride of the father for a girlchild skilled in performing, dancing and the games plus a keen mind. She was an easy selection very fit as a child and as beautiful as her mother the young child showed the gift of prophecy very young and was entered into the service of Gaia as a novice priestess. Since then she has become a valued member of the Sparta wise above her years, gifted as an oracle and some say the goddess herself speaks to her. Officially she is a virgin but that vow is between men and women, not other women and thankfully Sparta accepts that. A teacher of young girls her home is popular with parents wanting their children mentored and verses in many things but she never acts on this sexually until a girl is of age, sixteen and after their night of holy rites.

Her visions come from Gaia its said and she never used drugs or substances but thigs just come to her when a question is asked. Many come to her for her oracles even from Athens under the decree of the King no on may stop such an emissary even in times of war. The Oracle made such a request herself.

She tends to be lightly dressed like most Spartan women favoring a simple tunic and sandals, and is lightly ornamented her only bauble of note a silver necklace with the symbol of Gaia and the symbol of her status as a priestess. Her hair is long and well kept and is considered her finest feature and she tends it with olive opil daily her one small vice.

yourmomsemo

This sounds wonderful. Mind if I catch up on some reading (old posts) first?
I'd be very interested in doing an Ancient Rome/Greece! I'm also very interested in Ancient Egypt. (:

Le Garçon bon regarder de Nageur.

Kate

Please all read what they can.

On the whole it will likely mainly be in rome,
but relations with the greeks are relevant (ambassadors could be moving between areas, conflicts or agreements eventuate)

remember all i dont intend to control this game concept there isn't a leader or storyteller we are all mutally creating the history as we go ... so in effect all can be "god mode-ing" what those around them are doing / what they are seeing or experiencing or planning etc.

so characters your interacting with that are not players - your god-mode-ing youself.

eg is slippers is a visiting greek priestess ... she may have several accolytes with her perhaps some greek body guards - she is god-mode-ing all of them.

greece is relevent as some characters may be generals attacking greece (defending greece from rome) or diplomats etc -

the most interesting time may be just after Greece is taken over by the romans

Ramster

This game sounds like great fun! Has it started yet? I'm very interested and reasonably knowledgeable about Ancient Greece, Ancient Rome and the exotic sexualities of their subjects. Here's an idea: let's have the story take place in the city of Rome itself, it was the liveliest place in the world at the time!
Leave not a piss untaken, nor a Michael unappropriated.
A/As!!!
Knight of the Order of the Pizza

Nulla gratuitas sine anchoa

RubySlippers

Quote from: Kate on October 24, 2009, 12:58:39 AM
Please all read what they can.

On the whole it will likely mainly be in rome,
but relations with the greeks are relevant (ambassadors could be moving between areas, conflicts or agreements eventuate)

remember all i dont intend to control this game concept there isn't a leader or storyteller we are all mutally creating the history as we go ... so in effect all can be "god mode-ing" what those around them are doing / what they are seeing or experiencing or planning etc.

so characters your interacting with that are not players - your god-mode-ing youself.

eg is slippers is a visiting greek priestess ... she may have several accolytes with her perhaps some greek body guards - she is god-mode-ing all of them.

greece is relevent as some characters may be generals attacking greece (defending greece from rome) or diplomats etc -

the most interesting time may be just after Greece is taken over by the romans

If we are in Rome my character will be Roman, I'll redo her as needed.

AthenaNude

I'm coming into this thread a bit late, but was just wondering if this RP as still open?  I'm up for Greece, Rome, or Egypt for my character's home nation.  Are futa characters okay?