D&D 3.5 Forgotten Realms campaign (Funeral Games)

Started by ff, November 20, 2010, 02:39:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ff

I foresee great contests at my funeral games.

- Purported last words of Alexander the Great

In 1371 Dalereckoning ended the long and quite eventful reign of king Azoun IV of Cormyr. He was survived an infant grandson and heir apparent Azoun V, nephew to the late king's daughter, princess Alusair. For all the qualities of the princess once dubbed the 'Mithral Princess' and now the 'Steel Regent', who might've easily been queen had she so deigned, the sudden absence of a reigning king or queen, especially one such as Azoun IV who previously loomed so large, is - time and time again down the ages - a ripe season for all manner of would-be usurpers, invaders, and simple mischief-makers. Several of the Forest Kingdom's most nearly-royal families would no doubt be happy to bear rightful claim by lineage to the throne, likewise more than a few of the many unacknowledged children the oft-philandering Azouv IV begat by consorts other than his own queen. And how could expansive neighbors such as Sembia and Westgate or any self-respecting evil organization such as the Black Brotherhood of the Zhentarim or the Red Wizards of Thay not somehow capitalize on such an opportunity?

This D&D 3.5 campaign will be set in the Forgotten Realms. Starting level is 9th with standard wealth (38,000 gp), and 40 point buy, unless there's a general preference for a different starting level.

Favorite characters you've used before are quite welcome. If you feel newish to 3.5 and would like help with your character sheet, I'm quite happy to give advice on both crunchy (i.e. feat suggestions) and fluffy (i.e. "what's a nomadic desert region of Faerun my character could be from?") things.

Most 1st-party 3.5 material is allowed. I may ask for non-core (i.e. not available SRD or otherwise online) material to be transcribed for (written into the character sheet for self-contained common reference.). It saves more time than it takes in the long run, speeding up my DMing for the sake of your fellow players. (But feel free to hold off on it until you're sure you won't change your mind ad the campaign actually starts.)

No psionics, Tome of Battle/Magic/Incarnum, level adjustment buyoff, gestalt, 3rd-party, or homebrew. Certain loopholes and broken things may be banned. If you have a character concept but don't know how to reflect it in a char sheet, I will probably know of something with virtually identical flavor.  For example, Book of Erotic Fantasy is 3rd party and its 'crunchy' aspects are rather badly designed -  but feel free to use its 'fluffy' aspects for character ideas, ask about similar alternative classes or templates (feykissed <-> feytouched or half-fey, felid <-> catfolk), etc.

Party size depends on quantity and quality of interest and isn't a fixed number. It is not first-come-first-serve. "Is there still room?" is a common question in the E recruiting forum, and the answer is "Yes, it just depends on you."

My character sheet preference is plaintext first and/or Mythweavers a close second. An example of a plaintext format for this is at http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dd/20060707a . A particular format need not be followed exactly.

The campaign will open in a Cormyrean town temple to a god or goddess - who will be chosen by the suggestions or consensus of the players in this thread.

Deity suggestions will have no bearing on your acceptance in the campaign, nor crunchily (dis)advantage certain types of characters.  Not every player need make suggestions, and you may make as many as you please in this thread, post-acceptance in the beginning OOC thread, or both. If you aren't familiar with the FR pantheons, you could give thematic suggestions ("is there an evil nature-y deity? who's the archetypal god of thieves?").

I encourage discussion with other people about the choice, and hearing why the choice appeals to you. No need to choose the same deity as worshipped by your character, who might just  be stopping in for curiosity, advice, a quick prayer before a relevant endeavor, healing or other spellcasting services, etc. Or they might simply passing by in front of it on the street. The choice may influence thematics and content of the campaign.

Muse

*bows* 

May I have the honor of being the first to apply, m'lady? 

While I had expressed interest in a Harper Paragon earlier, your story arc suggests that a Morninglord of Lathander might also be particularly entertaining. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Primarch

I'm very interested! I'd like to play a Warrior/Wizard...or Warrior/Sorcerer.

While I've seen it mentioned many times, I'm largely unfamiliar with the particulars behind a 40 point in. What are the values precisely? 

NicciKotor

I would also enjoy the chance to prove to you that I can play a character to your standards. It's been a while since the last time we played together, and I want to make it up to you for how bad I was back then.

I do feel the desire to step away from spell casting and the hassles that bring, and go for a classic female fighter. Going for human girl as well, since I have a perfect picture for her, and human brings a lot of positives into the fighter class.

Turn on and off thread: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=69638.0

Give me toys and anime figures and I'll let you spank me as often as you want!

Discord: NicciKotor#8672

Tumblr page: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/freyathemagicalfoxy

NicciKotor

Quote from: Primarch on November 20, 2010, 04:04:04 PM
I'm very interested! I'd like to play a Warrior/Wizard...or Warrior/Sorcerer.

While I've seen it mentioned many times, I'm largely unfamiliar with the particulars behind a 40 point in. What are the values precisely?

Standard point buy is rather confusing. The more higher the numbers you add onto your ability points, the larger the points you need to spend. So it isn't a 1-1 ratio. I would suggest using invisible castle to do the stat generation, that way you don't foul up too bad.

Primarch

Quote from: NicciKotor on November 20, 2010, 04:10:59 PM
Standard point buy is rather confusing. The more higher the numbers you add onto your ability points, the larger the points you need to spend. So it isn't a 1-1 ratio. I would suggest using invisible castle to do the stat generation, that way you don't foul up too bad.

Looked up that Invisible Castle, it tells me there's a list on pg 169 in the DM Guide. Turns out the answer to my "what is the point buy values?" question has been about a foot and a half away from me for the last three years. XD

lorcan

Id like to reserve a spot in this game if you dont mind ill post my idea for a pc after i get back from Larp.

NicciKotor

Cecily Campbell

Fighter - Level 9
Medium Humanoid
Hit Dice: 9d10+18(72 hp)
Initiative: +3
Speed: 30
Armor Class: 25 (8 armor, 4 shield, 3 dex)
Flat footed AC: 21
Touch AC: 17
Base Attack/Grapple: +9/+13
Attack: +1 adamantine electric longsword +18 (1d8+1d6+9) and Shield throw +13 (1d8+5)
Full Attack: +1 adamantine electric longsword +18/+13 (1d8+1d6+9)
Space/Reach: 5 ft/5ft
Special attacks: Improved disarm, improved sunder
Saves: Fort+9/Reflex+7/Will+6
Abilities: 16(18), 16, 14,14,14,14
Skills: Climb +14, handle animal +2, Intimidate + 14, Jump +14, Listen +5, Search +4, Spot + 5, Swim +5, survival +4.
Ranks: Climb+10, Intimidate +12, Jump +10, Listen +6, Search +4, Spot +6, survivial +4
Feats: Weapons Focus(longsword), Weapon specialization(longsword), Greater weapon focus(longsword), Combat expertise, improved disarm, improved sunder, power attack, melee weapon mastery (slashing), shield specialization, shield ward.
Languages: Common, sylvan, Elvish.
Equipment:
38000 gp
bag of holding - 2500
+3 called mithril breastplate - 15550 gp
+1 ranged steel shield - 4170 gp
+1 adamantine longsword - 5015 gp
Crystal of lesser electric - 3000 gp
gloves of ogre power + 2 - 4000 gp
+1 cloak of resistance - 1000 gp
ring of the 4 winds - 2000 gp

bedroll - 1sp - 5
blanket - 5sp - 3
candle - 1 cp
ten flask - 10 sp
manacles,master work - 50 gp - 2
mirror - 10 gp - .5lb
ink - 8 gp
paper - 12 sp 4 sheets
rope, silk - 10 gp- 5
soap - 5 gp - 1 lb
water skin - 1 gp - 1 lb
tent - 5 gp - 10 lb

655 gp left

Cecily started as a lady of a lesser noble house, enjoying the values and culture from that prestigious lifestyle and enjoying a rather comfortable childhood. Which only means that it would soon become tedious and boring. Just endless dinners and formal parties and more dinners. Not to mention the hassle of an arranged marriage! Which was the primary reason why she decided on her 18th birthday to steal her fathers adventuring gear and bribe the local weapons master.

Wandering into more wild lands, where she spent her years training to be a fighter and learning the real purpose in life, to have fun! Which also meant eventually falling in lust with her mentor, learning the subtle arts of love and kinky desires. Eventually learning everything she can from the man, both in the fine art of stabbing and in love. Wanting to explore her new talents for fighting and naughty, leaving him behind for more interesting lands.

All of which was years behind her now. Being quite the successful adventuress now, especially since she has yet to die a horrible death, which is always a positive. Walking down a random road in the middle of nowhere, wondering what sort of trouble life will bring her next.

Ring of the 4 winds - MIC
Ranged magic property - MIC
Lesser crystal of electric - MIC
Weapon Mastery feat - PHBII
Shield specialization - PHBII
Shield ward - PHBII

Kolbrandr

Submitting a character, just putting in a backstory first before a sheet.

Cade Truesilver, human male rogue 4/Paladin 3/Ranger 2

A bastard birth from a drunken indiscretion in a particular cold branch of the sprawling family, Cade got all the unfortunate treatment that comes the way of an illegitimate son of ancient blood and money. Truesilvers lead the Cormyrean military. Truesilvers performed some of the greatest heroic deeds of the nation's history. Truesilvers could trace their power, glory and dignity all the way back to the founding of Cormyr itself. Cade had such knowledge practically drilled into his head, just so it would be made clear the things he was never to have any part of. Oh, he would be kept around, for as unfortunate a social problem he was just for existing, turning him out into the street would look even worse. But it would be as an adjunct, an afterthought, and if he ever tried to step beyond himself, the reprisals would be harsh.

Nursing an ever rising outrage at the contempt thrown his way, Cade began to make a game of it. After all, his blood compelled to greatness, and a great embarrassment was still great, was he not? It helped that he had inherited a full measure of the family's quality, if nothing else, facilitating a keen tactical mind applied to planning scandal, and a strong body to carry out any manner of unfortunate deed. He lied, he cheated, he stole, he ruined parties and picked fights. The rest of the family, not quite aware of his upbringing (and as far as it goes, having never been that deeply interested in the circumstances of a bastard really) could only see all the disgrace, aghast and infuriated for it. His direct kin delved into outright cruelties to clamp down on it. That just goaded Cade to get inventive.

There was all the same no single defining incident, no particular shock, no family driven to outright kill the little shit on sheer fury that broke Cade off such acts. In the end, his performances were born out of dissatisfaction, frustration and outrage, and in the end, they soothed, nor satisfied him not at all. At times he wasn't sure if he felt anything remotely. If nothing else, he had cultivated skills to this point that let him just slip away into the night, seeking further distraction from his life to this point, and everything within himself.

He made it all the way to Waterdeep, taking up a life as a petty criminal and from what lessons of courtlier arts he had paid attention to, sometimes performer. He embraced every debauchery and degeneracy available to him, keeping company with other young alleyway wastrel scum. And again, there was no great holy revelation, no single redemptive act that awoke his slumbering soul. Oh, he watched what could be called his friends die off from the varying consequences of their lives, but that itself was not much of a counter to nihilistic bravado. In the end, it was nothing more and nothing less than the ever mounting understanding that being as vile as his kin expected him to be was getting him nothing more than.. being as vile as his kin expected him to be. That there was nowhere he could flee from his own self disgust. Even so, that awareness was jarring against a stubborn refusal to lay down and die, a sense of that would be just letting his family and the world win. So it was that without his family to torture him, he seemed to be able to torture himself just fine.

Desperate for some way to make himself whole, even just to get over himself,  he placed himself into the care of the one group of people he had seen walking out amongst the disenfranchised and low without pity or contempt, with empathy instead of sympathy. Or, more accurately, he mustered all his skill to break into the personal chambers of the city's high priest of Torm, wait for him, and ask on arrival, as a simple plea, "please help fix me."

It was an effort of months, and painful ones besides. Honest work, confession, penance and counselling. There was no miracle cure, only slow and thorough effort to help Cade learn a value for service and duty of themselves, to use them as means to draw out better parts of himself, and thereby confront the worst. He turned his stubbornness to resolve, his outrage to compassion, his bravado to daring in the name of others. Cleansed over time of the detritus that had accumulated on his spirit, he was able to connect to that part of him that was a Truesilver, and channel it towards good, developing a martial skill and spirit out from a will that had wanted to take on the whole world out of spite.

With soul unburdened, he could now choose what burdens he wished to take up, in full awareness. In tearful gratitude, he took up the higher calling of a paladin, seeking to repay Torm and his clergy by using all his talents now to better those around him, as he had been bettered. To serve others, and thereby truly serve himself. He could look at himself in the mirror now, and the journey he took to be able to do so was one he pledged to use the wisdom of in aid of others failing or faltering.

He has travelled far and wide since, developing talent as a wanderer, seeking good causes to lend aid to, or at least ones that can refine him to be capable of more in that service. His ability to bring.. somewhat unorthodox talents and perspectives, filtered through the vision of the True towards problems, has seen him favoured by Torm's clergy as something of an itinerant troubleshooter. Though his thoughts do sometimes turn back to his old life, in the main the only regret he feels about them is how much time he wasted, when he could have been putting himself to such purpose.

He has found himself in Cormyr without all that much thought to his heritage. The clergy of the True had called for aid in the chaos that had been gripping the land in recent years and it only seemed natural to answer. That he has earned some measure of respect from doing his part to fight in the dark days that had been is a source of confusion to those who once knew him. It has lead to a thought amongst his family to reach back out to him and re-establish ties, that a man of his sort would be of no small use. Having worked so hard to earn a surety in himself and his life, Cade finds himself dealing with a sense of hesitation for the first time in a while.

NicciKotor

Like my character Kol? I think she is pretty well equipped to get the stabbing and slashing in with little effort.

Tackyhillbilly

A Factotum is acceptable? I've been looking for a chance to play Indiana Jones for a while.

lorcan

This post is just to share my level Break down and Check if my Prestige class is acceptable. My background and stats will be posted soon.
Levels Fighter 6  Ranger 2 Knight Protector 1.
KNIGHT PROTECTOR
The few, the proud, the knight protectors are martial characters
dedicated to restoring the ideals of knightly chivalry
before they fade forever. The protectors see moral decay
everywhere they look in the world around them, brought
on by a lapse in ethical behavior. Like paladins, knight
protectors adhere to a rigid code of behavior that embraces
such values as honor, honesty, chivalry, and courage. Unlike
paladins, the first duty of knight protectors is to this code
and the ideals for which it stands, rather than to a deity or a
holy order. A protector is expected to display these ideals in
all aspects of his behavior and throughout all his actions and
deeds, however arduous they may be.
Many knight protectors come from backgrounds of honor
and loyalty, such as other orders of chivalry or the service
of a powerful master. Paladins and ex-paladins are the most
common knight protectors, and clerics of lawful deities (such
as St. Cuthbert or Heironeous) as well as fighters seeking a
higher ideal often find much to appreciate in the knight
protector’s code of conduct. Members of most other classes,
particularly spellcasters, lack either the interest or the dedication
to pursue this path.
NPC knight protectors are often found wandering alone,
looking for worthy people to protect or idealistic lords to
serve. What little bond or organization exists between knight
protectors is extremely strong—whether a knight protector
was once a baron, a lowly liegeman, or a samurai, each feels a
kinship to his compatriots and a longing for better days.
Hit Die: d10.
Requirements
To qualify to become a knight protector, a character must
fulfill all the following criteria.
Alignment: Lawful neutral or lawful good.
Base Attack Bonus: +5.
CHAPTER 2
PRESTIGE
CLASSES
Skills: Diplomacy 6 ranks, Knowledge (nobility and royalty)
4 ranks, Ride 6 ranks.
Feats: Armor Profi ciency (heavy), Cleave, Great Cleave,
Mounted Combat, Power Attack.
Class Skills
The knight protector’s class skills (and the key ability for each
skill) are Diplomacy (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge
(nobility and royalty) (Int), Ride (Dex), and Spot (Wis).
Skill Points at Each Level: 2 + Int modifi er.
Table 2–20: The Knight Protector
Base
Attack Fort Ref Will
Level Bonus Save Save Save Special
1st +1 +0 +0 +2 Defensive stance +2,
shining beacon
2nd +2 +0 +0 +3 Best effort +2, Iron Will
3rd +3 +1 +1 +3 Supreme cleave
4th +4 +1 +1 +4 Defensive stance +3
5th +5 +1 +1 +4 Best effort +3
6th +6 +2 +2 +5 No mercy 1
7th +7 +2 +2 +5 Defensive stance +4
8th +8 +2 +2 +6 Best effort +4
9th +9 +3 +3 +6 No mercy 2
10th +10 +3 +3 +7 Defensive stance +5,
retributive attack
Class Features
All of the following are class features of the knight protector
prestige class.
Weapon and Armor Profi ciency: Knight protectors gain
profi ciency with tower shields.
Defensive Stance (Ex): At the start of any turn when a
knight protector is within 5 feet of an ally who has fewer Hit
Dice than he does, the knight protector can transfer up to
2 points of Armor Class to the ally (making his own Armor
Class worse by the same number). The maximum number of
points he can transfer increases by 1 for every three levels
beyond 1st.
Shining Beacon (Su): A knight protector is the physical
and spiritual embodiment of high ideals. All his allies gain a
+4 morale bonus on saves against fear effects when they stand
within 10 feet of the character. If the knight protector is paralyzed,
unconscious, or otherwise rendered helpless, his allies
lose this bonus.
Best Effort (Ex): The daunting nature of the knight protector’s
goals often requires special focus of effort. Beginning
at 2nd level, a knight protector gains a bonus on any one skill
check he makes, once per day. The character must declare
that he is using this ability before he makes the skill check.
This bonus increases by 1 for every three levels beyond 2nd.
Iron Will (Ex): At 2nd level, a knight protector gains Iron
Will as a bonus feat.
Supreme Cleave (Ex): Beginning at 3rd level, a knight
protector can take a 5-foot step between attacks when using
the Cleave or Great Cleave feat.
No Mercy (Ex): At 6th level, a knight protector gains the
ability to make one extra attack of opportunity per round (as
if he had the Combat Refl exes feat and a Dexterity modifi er of
+1). At 9th level and higher, the character can make as many
as two extra attacks of opportunity per round. This benefi t
stacks with the benefi t of the Combat Refl exes feat.
Retributive Attack (Su): If an ally of a 10th-level knight
protector is rendered helpless or unconscious, the character
can make a retributive attack against the creature that felled
his ally. When making a retributive attack, the knight protector
adds his Charisma bonus (if any) to his attack roll and
deals an extra 10 points of damage on a successful hit.
A knight protector can make a number of retributive
attacks per day equal to his Charisma bonus (minimum one),
but never more than one per round. He may make more than
one retributive attack against the same foe.
Multiclass Note: A paladin or samurai who becomes a
knight protector may continue advancing in his original
class.
Ex-Knight Protectors
A knight protector who willingly and knowingly violates
the code for no adequate reason loses all supernatural class
features of the prestige class and may no longer advance in
levels as a knight protector.
THE CODE OF THE KNIGHT PROTECTOR
A knight protector must be of lawful neutral or lawful good alignment,
and must adhere to the order’s code of conduct.
Support: The order supports its own. A knight protector can
expect to receive room and board, as well as a mount with appropriate
gear, from the order for as long as he remains in its
ranks and adheres to the Code.
The Code:
Courage and enterprise in obedience to the order.
Defense of any mission unto death.
Respect for all peers and equals; courtesy to all lessers.
Combat is glory; battle is the true test of self-worth; war is the
fl owering of the chivalric ideal.
Personal glory above all in battle.
Death before dishonor.
pqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqrs

Muse

Name:      Kelsie Shatterstar
Race:      Human (Chondathan)
Class:      Human Paragon 3, Cleric 3, Morninglord of Lathander 3

Strength   14   +2
Dexterity   10   +0
Constitution   14   +2
Intelligence   14   +2
Wisdom   18   +4
Charisma   18   +4

HP      66

AC      24   (Armor +10   Shield +4   Dex +0)

Saves: 
Fort   7     +2      =+9
Refl   3   +0      =+3
Will   9   +4   -3   =+10

Base Attack +6 +1   Melee +8+3   Grapple +8   Missile +6 +1

Masterwork Lance
   TAB      +9 +4
   Damage   d8+2
   Critical      20X3
   Reach      10’

Masterwork Mace
   TAB      +9+4
   Damage   d8+2
   Critical      20X2
   Reach      5’

Dagger
   TAB      +8 +3 or +6+1
   Damage   d4+2
   Critical      19X2
   Range      10’

Flaws
Weak Willed

Feats
Augment Healing
Initiate of Lathander
Improved Turning
Mounted Combat
--Spirited Charge
Saddleback
Versatile Performer:  Dance, Sing, Strings

Languages: 
Chondathan
Common
Damaran
Gnome

Proficiencies
Armor Proficiency: Light-Heavy
Shield Proficiency: All but Tower. 
Simple Weapon Proficiency
Martial Weapon Proficiency: Lance

Skills
C.   Craft: Painter         6   
C.H.   Diplomacy         8
H.   Handle Animal      5
H.   Heal            6
H.   K. Local, Cormyr      4
H.   K. Nobility         5
C.H.   K. Religion         8 
C.H   Perform: Versatile      8   
***   Ride            12   +0      =
H.   Speak Languege      6   
H.   Sense Motive         4   +      =
C.M.   Spellcraft         6   +2      =d20+8

History: 
   Born to the young and comely minor noblewoman Trisa Scatterhawk some nine months after she was seen dancing with King Ahzoun at a party, Kelsie retains the polite fiction that her father was a visiting Chesentan noble and that she was completely floored and amazed by the gift of the mighty war mare his majesty sent her on her 16th birthday. 
   She spent some time in the officers corps, but after having too pacify a rebellious Cormyrean city, she rethought her life and joined the church of Lathander.  Still a great lover of Cormyr, she fights hard for her homeland, but tempers her violence with healing and art. 

Gear: 
(5,650)      +2 Full Plate
(4,170)      +2 Large Steel Shield

Kelsie’s Holy Medalion:  (19,000)
This rose quartz disk radiates a soft rosy glow (as per Continual Flame.)  It is on a sting of white ceramic beads. 
It provides +4 wisdom and the properties of an amulet of retributive healing. 
Devoting your life to healing is often a thankless job. An amulet of retributive hea­ing ensures that if you tend to your allies, you are renewed in turn. 
When you activate your amulet, the next effect you use before the end of your turn that heals another creature's damage also heals you of an equal amount, as long as you could be healed by that same effect.
If the effect heals multiple creatures, you only gain the retributive healing once per effect.
For example, a human cleric casting cure light wounds on an ally after activating this amulet would gain the same amount of healing, but a human wizard casting repairlight damage on her warforged ally would not benefit from activating the amulet (since that spell only affects constructs). 

(2,500)   Cormyrean Destrier  (Champions of Valor PG 154)
(1,250)   +1 Studded Leather Barding
(210)   Masterwork Military Saddle
(310)   Masterwork Lance
(500)   Magic Bedroll
(800)   Magic Feedbag
(300)   Everfull Trail Rations
(250)   Everfull Mug

Belt PouchX2
Flint and Steel

Backpack
Gold:  753

A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

ferrousaemyr

It's been forever since I've touched FR, but I'd love to be in a group game on E.

Seeing as there's already tons of fighter-types, I'd be happy to do a wizard; here's the character/personality write-up, and I'll crunch the stats if you're up for having me.

As for the church, I'd suggest something of a god/dess of Luck, Fate, or Fortune. The campaign intro sounds like a great launch for political intrigue, and I'd definitely enjoy some of that, though I'm happy with whichever.

Jericho grew up in a poor family of farmers, who made do with hard work on the land and persistence where nature did not favor them. While his family was pleasant, and the work tiresome but not too hard, he was a dreamer; his eye always sought more. When his family and others in the local town told stories, Jericho listened with rapt attention, eager to devour the details for his imagination to feed on. As he grew older, he began making up stories of his own, and telling to any who would listen. Over time, he grew quite a reputation.

When a nearby wizard, Orech, paid a rare visit to town, he overheard Jericho unfolding an intricate story to a cluster of spellbound teens in the tavern. Taking a seat, surprising them and, most of all, Jericho, he listened with attention as Jericho laid out the tale and finished the story. Applauding with the rest of the youth, Orech asked Jericho how much of the story was true; "Bits and pieces," he replied, a little hesitantly.

Orech invited Jericho to walk with him, and discussed a variety of topics with the teen. Outside of town, he cast a spell and looked into Jericho; seeing the talent for magic within him, he offered the insightful youth a position as an apprentice. Though Jericho briefly thought of his family, he knew, truly, there was nothing more he would love than to break free from the mundaneness of his life and become something more. Eagerly accepting, Jericho began his tutelage.

Though Orech was often a hermit, he made many trips and adventures across the Realms and brought Jericho along with him, instructing him in history, local details, and finer points of what it meant to be a responsible wizard in the land. Orech was a kind and benevolent teacher, though disciplined at times, and taught Jericho well.

When Jericho's final year of apprenticeship was up, he was pleased to have learned under Orech; the man was kind, wise, and brilliant. While setting off on his own, he was happy to keep ties with him.

Unlike Orech, though, Jericho was a very social human. Everywhere he went, he was curious about the people, and got into conversation easily, listening to the stories of others and telling his own. Good-natured and always interested in helping, he lent his magical expertise to the solving of many problems, mundane and fantastical. Over time, as he developed his skill, he grew a reputation for his deeds and friendly nature, drawing more attention from those with power and money.

Despite his social leanings, Jericho wasn't very interested in being used and manipulated for political gain; nevertheless, when opportunities arose for him to learn and aid the people, even when coming from seats of power and interest, he took them. Careful to remain generally neutral, Jericho's many friendships and broad scope of work has drawn him into the periphery of many political webs all the same. Recently, he has begun to use his notoriety and influence to nudge events and intrigue into directions that benefit the many, rather than the few. Though new at it, his expertise and cunning have served him very well thus far.

Primarch

Name: Gideon
Race: Human
Class: Fighter (4)/Wizard (5)

Strength: 16 (+3)
Dexterity: 13 (+1)
Constitution: 15 (+2)
Intelligence: 17 (+3)/wHeadband 21 (+5)
Wisdom: 13 (+1)
Charisma: 13 (+1)

Fort: +5(+2)           Ref: +5(+1)         Will: +5(1)(+2)

HP: 51
AC: 19 (Touch 12, Flat footed 18)

BAB: +6/+1
+2 Masterwork Adamantine Spear
Roll to Attack: d20+9/+4       Roll for Damage: d8+7 (crit x3, range 20ft, piercing)

Feats: Combat Casting, Iron Will, Still Spell, Spell Mastery, Magical Aptitude, Weapon Focus (Spear), Weapon Specialization (Spear), Familiar, Scribe Scroll, Spell Focus (Transmutation)

Skills:
Decipher Script 9(+3), Spellcraft 9(+3), Concentration: 9(+2), Jump: 7(+3), Intimidate: 7(+1), Ride: 7(+1), Knowledge (Arcana): 6(+3), Perform (Oratory): 3 ½ (+1), Diplomacy: 3(+1), Sense Motive: 3(+1), Escape Artist: 1 ½ (+1)

Languages Spoken: Common, Draconic, Dwarven, Sylvan

Equipment: (162 gp 4sp)
+2 Masterwork Adamantine Spear (11,002 gp, hardness 5, hp13, Bypass hardness less than 20)
+1 Masterwork Mithral Chainmail
(5,150 gp, +7AC, light armour, +4 Max Dex, -2 Armour Check Penalty, 20% Spell Failure, 20lbs, 20ft)
Bag of Holding, 250 lbs 2,500
Ring of Protection +1: 2,000gp
Headband of Intellect +4: 16,000 gp

Wizards Spellbook: 15gp/3lb
Dull Grey Iuon Stone/w Continual Flame 175gp
Heavy Warhorse: 400gp
Military Saddle: 20gp
Spell Component Pouch: 5gp/2lb
Tent: 10gp/20lb
Winter Blanket: 5sp
Everfull Trail Rations: 300gp
Feed x 10: 5sp/100lb

Spells:
Spells per day: 0 Level: 4/1st Level: 5/2nd Level: 3/3rd Level: 2

Spells Known:
0 Level: All
1st Level: Shield, Mage Armour, Detect Secret Doors, Identify, Protection from Evil, Reduce Person, Ray of Enfeeblement, True Strike
2nd Level: Cat's Grace, Fox's Cunning, Bulls Strength, Blindness/Deafness
3rd Level: Displacement, Suggestion

Spells Mastered: 1st Level: True Strike, Shield, Mage Armour. 2nd Level: Fox's Cunning, Bulls Strength

Familiar
Huginn
Raven, +3 Appraise for Gideon
Natural Armour Adjustment: +3, Int 8
Specials: Alertness, Improved Evasion, Share Spells, Empathic Link, Deliver Touch Spells.

NicciKotor

Let's have a sparring match primal. I'm bored and I need to test drive Miss Cecily.

Primarch

I'm afraid I'm only on for a few more minutes. Perhaps another time.

ff

Everyone: for anything non-core, please include a "Sources" blurb at the end of your sheet like so:

"Sources: CW - knight protector prestige class; Dungeonscape - Factotum class; PHBII - shield specialization feat, shield ward feat; MiC - ring of the four winds."

Muse

Harper Paragon or Morninglord both sound good. I forget; where are the Morninglord PrC and Human Paragon from?

Also, please go for a more 'compact' style sheet, such as the example linked to in my initial post. For example, putting the feats on one line with commas rather than a separate line for each (the link, and Nicci's sheet, are examples of that).

Primarch

Gideon looks nice. Similar advice to Muse - for example, a comma-separated list of skills and feats rather than 1 or few per line. Fighters also get a bonus feat at 2nd level.

NicciKotor

Looks very nice. Comments:

I assume her shield specialization is (heavy).
I think her AC is +1 higher (thanks to shield specialization).
I think her longsword damage mod is +10 (4 str, 2 weapon, 2 specialization feat, 2 mastery feat)
Stat block is +2 electric sword but equip list is just +2. I'm guessing the latter so that the gp comes out right. Or perhaps you meant +1 electric sword, which would explain the +9 damage mod above (in which case the attack mod would be +17). Actually, if you want to use one of those energy augment crystals for the electric damage (which would require freeing up 3K gp from her other gear), I know that once before I told you they were 'too good', but since then, I'm become more lenient about ixnaying stuff.
Does she have a special ability related to shield throwing? IIRC any weapon (which shields are) can be thrown, but if they lack a range increment they take a -4 attack penalty. So the throw attack mod would be +9 (and the damage mod would be +4 rather than +6; the shield's enhancement as a shield doesn't add to attack or damage. Although a shield can be enhanced as a weapon as well for the same price as a 'regular' weapon.)

Cecily looks great overall!

Kolbrandr

Interesting use of the Truesilver family; I remember them from one of the novels. I'll look for a char sheet.

Tackyhillbilly

Sure, a Factotum sounds great. From Dungeonscape, yes?

lorcan

Knight Protector is fine. From Complete Warrior, was it?

Anael

A wizard sounds good.

lorcan

Yes Knight protector is in  Complete Warrior.

Tackyhillbilly

Indeed. Pretty much beyond Dungeonscape, Core, and the Spell Compendium, I am using... one feat. Font of Inspiration

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/frcc/20070606

Official Wizards material, if added in a web expansion. Because using my Class Abilities more times an encounter is a good thing.

---

Mythweaver's Sheet

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=255349

Will Transcribe to Plaintext

---

Arivel Durvesh

Human True Neutral Factotum 9

HD 9d8+18 (62 HP Average)

AC 20 (10+7 Armor+1 Dex+1 Natural+1 Deflect)
Touch 12
Flatfooted 19

Init +1

Speed 30 ft

Str 12
Dex 12
Con 12
Int 20
Wis 10
Cha 16

Fort +7
Reflex +10
Will +6

Weapons
+1 Seeking Longbow
Attack Bonus: +8/+3
Damage: 1d8+2
Critcal: x3
Range: 110ft

Masterwork Greatsword
Attack Bonus: +8/+3
Damage: 2d6+1
Critical: 19-20

Armor
+2 Mithral Breastplate
AC Bonus 7
Armor Check Penalty -1
Max Dex +5
Spell Failure 15%

Skills

Appraise 1 Rank (Modifier +6)
Balance 5 Ranks (Modifier +12)
Bluff 5 Ranks (Modifier +8)
Climb 1 Rank (Modifier +6)
Concentration 1 Rank (Modifier +2)
Deciper Script 1 Rank (Modifier +6)
Diplomacy 12 Ranks (Modifier +21)
Disable Device 1 Rank (Modifier +6)
Disguise 1 Rank (Modifier +4)
Escape Artist 1 Rank (Modifier +6)
Forgery 1 Rank (Modifier +6)
Gather Information 1 Rank (Modifier +6)
Handle Animal 1 Rank (Modifier +4)
Heal 1 Rank (Modifier +1)
Hide 12 Ranks (Modifier +17)
Intimidate 12 Ranks (Modifier +17)
Jump 5 Ranks (Modifier +12)
Knowledge Arcana 5 Ranks (Modifier +10)
Knowledge Architecture and Engineering 1 Rank (Modifier +6)
Knowledge Dungeoneering 1 Rank (Modifier +6)
Knowledge Geography 1 Rank (Modifier +6)
Knowledge History 1 Rank (Modifier +6)
Knowledge Local 5 Ranks (Modifier +10)
Knolwedge Nature 1 Rank (Modifier +8)
Knoweldge Nobility and Royalty 5 Ranks (Modifier +10)
Knowledge Religion 5 Ranks (Modifier +10)
Knowledge The Planes 1 Rank (Modifier +6)
Listen 1 Rank (Modifier +1)
Move Silently 1 Rank (Modifier +6)
Open Lock 1 Rank (Modifier +6)
Perform 1 Rank (Modifier +4)
Ride 1 Rank (Modifier +6)
Search 1 Rank (Modifier +6)
Sense motive 5 Ranks (Modifier +5)
Sleight of Hand 1 Rank (Modifier +8)
Spellcraft 1 Rank (Modifier +8)
Spot 1 Rank (Modifier +1)
Survival 5 Ranks (Modifier +5)
Swim 1 Rank (Modifier +6)
Tumble 11 Ranks (Modifier +18)
Use Magical Device 12 Ranks (Modifier +15)
Use Rope 1 Rank (Modifier +6)

Class Abilities
Inspiration: 20
Cunning Insight
Cunning Knowledge
Trapfinding
Brains over Brawn
Cunning Defense
Cunning Strike
Oppurtunistic Piety
Cunning Surge

Feats
Font of Inspiration
Font of Inspiration
Font of Inspiration
Font of Inspiration
Font of Inspiration

Magical Equipment
Cloak of Resistance +3
Ring of Protection +1
Amulet of Natural Armor +1
Bag of Holding, Type 2

Normal Equipment
Bedroll
Crowbar
Flint and Steel
Grappling Hook
100 Ft Silk Rope
Tent
Thieves Tools, Masterwork
Musical Instrument, Masterwork (Lute)
Holy Symbol (Silver)
Healer's Kit
Disguise Kit
Climber's Kit
Bit and Bridle
Horse, Heavy
Saddle, Riding
Trail Ration x10
Waterskin
200 Arrows

Currency
363 gp
4 sp

Spells Currently Memorized
Nightstalker's Transformation (Spell Compendium)
Ruin Delvers Fortune (Spell Compendium)
Dimensional Door
Black Tentacles

Languages
Chondathan
Damaran
Turmic
Goblin
Elven

-----

Appearance: Arisel is a sturdy looking fellow, with dark brown hair, and green eyes. Dressed in a forest green cloak, with a Greatsword strapped to his back, alongside a longbow, he looks like a soldier of caravan guard. Nothing overtly magical or powerful screams his identity. To magical sight, his items glow, but nothing stands to identify him.

---

Personaility Arisel is a veteran. At the end of the day, thats the only descriptor he would make a claim to. He's lived through far to much to imagine himself skilled or talented. He just managed to live. Whatever he skills he possesses, talents, whatever, they are just a measure of the fact that he was the one lucky enough not to take an arrow through the head.

This measure of himself carries through his lifestyle. When not doing some 'damn fool thing' as he calls his 'adventures' he tends to sit in a tavern somewhere and drink. He's a dour, sarcastic fellow, with a cynical view of humanity, and a pessimistic view in general.

---

Background: Arivel was born in Cormyr, and grew up there. His father was a member of City Watch, and his mum a homebody. He spent his childhood playing in the city streets of Cormyr, just one of the many children of the lower class. Things were tight, but they didn't starve. When he came of age, he joined up with the City Guard, taking the Shortsword, Club, and Crossbow. The Cormyr City Guard gave the great Arivel his first training with weapons. Not many remember that.

He stayed with the guard for a few years, before things turned bad for the new guard. He broke up a Bar Fight, rapping a few people on the head who decided that settling down seemed less fun then continuing. He dragged those off to a Cell, not noticing the finery of one of them. He'd thrown them in the cell before the Jailer recognized the idiot as a noble. Arivel took the news remarkably weel. In that he thought out a plan before hightailing it out of Cormyr. He caught a ship to Westgate, and joined up the first caravan out of there. That was where the legend of Arivel really took off, if one is stupid enough to call it that.

He travelled far and wide, serving as a Caravan Guard, City Watchman, Mercenary, whatever he had to do to get coin. He travelled with all sorts. Wizards, from whom he picked up the Art of magic. Clerics, whom he learned to trick their gods into interceding for him once or twice. Scholars, Thieves, Warriors, Rangers, all have numbered in his employers or comrades. And he's learned from each of them. Not enough to call himself a master. Just enough to scrape by. He's wandered all over, constantly moving on when the chance came. And honestly, he's enjoyed himself. But he always wanted to come back home. And finally hes gotten the hardchance. The Noble got himself knifed over something, Arivel hardly cares what. And Arivel boarded the next ship to Cormyr.

He'd been back home for a few weeks now. He's visited some graves, spoken with mostly forgotten friends, and spent a lot of time in his old tavern. And now... he is ready to do something else. Cormyr isn't his home anymore. He isn't Guardsman Durvesh. He's outgrown whatever place he had in Cormyr, and it isn't his home any longer. He doesn't know if he even has a home anymore, but he won't find it getting drunk in dingy taverns.

---

Sources

Dungeonscape - Factotum Class
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/frcc/20070606 Web Expansion - Font of Inspiration Fear
Spell Comendium - Spells: Ruin Delvers Luck and Nightstalker's Transformation

All else is from Core

Muse

Human Paragon is from Unearthed Arcana. 
Morninglord of Lathander is from Player's  Guide to Faerun. 

NicciKotor

Looks very nice. Comments:

I assume her shield specialization is (heavy).
I think her AC is +1 higher (thanks to shield specialization).
I think her longsword damage mod is +10 (4 str, 2 weapon, 2 specialization feat, 2 mastery feat)
Stat block is +2 electric sword but equip list is just +2. I'm guessing the latter so that the gp comes out right. Or perhaps you meant +1 electric sword, which would explain the +9 damage mod above (in which case the attack mod would be +17). Actually, if you want to use one of those energy augment crystals for the electric damage (which would require freeing up 3K gp from her other gear), I know that once before I told you they were 'too good', but since then, I'm become more lenient about ixnaying stuff.
Does she have a special ability related to shield throwing? IIRC any weapon (which shields are) can be thrown, but if they lack a range increment they take a -4 attack penalty. So the throw attack mod would be +9 (and the damage mod would be +4 rather than +6; the shield's enhancement as a shield doesn't add to attack or damage. Although a shield can be enhanced as a weapon as well for the same price as a 'regular' weapon.)

Cecily looks great overall!

It is +9. The longsword is +2, with a +1 into electric, so it does not get the +1 to attack and dmg. Masterwork only adds +1 to attack also. So 4 str+2 specialization+2 mastery+1 magic.

The heavy steel shield is also +2, with a +1 from being ranged. It is essentially a returning weapon for purposes of throwing. So the effective AC from the shield is still 2 base + 1 magic + 1 specialization.

Which also explains why I have my shield attack at 30 feet.

The ranged magic property also makes it be 1d8+str+enhancement from the shield. Which is why it is 1d8+6. 4 for str and 2 from it being a +2 shield. It is in the MIC, page 13.

Oh crap, I just now looked at it, and I did some minor things wrong. I do not add the +1 from the ranged ability into the damage, so it is only 1d8+5. I'll change that. I just have that so I have a very good ranged attack, that and the element of surprise is always good.

My full attack is +18. 9BAB+4str+1weaponfocus+1greaterweaonfocus+2mastery+1 magic weapon.
9+4+1+1+2+1 = 18

Yeah might as well get a electric energy crystal for the longsword. It would indeed save 3000 gp doing that. It would lose hardness and hp values from going down from +2 to +1

Question: Would my shield count for either weapon or armor crystals, since I use it for both of those purposes? I know that I can only get a lesser crystal, since lesser can attach to a +1 weapon or lower.

If not I'll just spend my free 3000 gp into making the longsword adamantine. DR values is the only thing that I am weak against.

Kirinis

FF, what are your feelings about non-standard races to be used as player characters?

jisko888

I'm greatly interested in playing this game. Playing D&D quite often, though its been a while since I played 3.5 and wouldn't mind getting a game of it going once more. Have some ideas for a few Clerics still kicking around in my head that I never got to play, but not sure if you're still accepting players for the game or if you're full.

Tonalberry

Same here, wondering if there's still room to join in, or if seven characters is your limit.  I don't really have a character in mind yet, but I can always fill in a missing niche.