The Sidewalk Heroes

Started by Primarch, October 05, 2013, 08:32:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Primarch

It was 1983 when it first happened. Bad people were doing bad things and getting away with it. Crime was out of control and the authorities just weren't getting the job done. Justice was just a word. Then a sweet sixteen year old named Kate Lebowski was beaten to death in the middle of the street. How many people watched from behind their windows and did absolutely nothing? Too many. Nobody did anything. How could they? The people that killed her were criminals...they had powerful friends, money, guns and those that sorts of things. The people watching from behind their curtains were just people. The Cops and an ambulance turned up, but it was too late. Sweet Katie was dead.

They hadn't done anything at the time, but afterwards they made a promise. 'Never again.' Six people came together, they didn't have superpowers or money for a Batcave. Between the six of them they had maybe two years of boxing training, an old rifle and a few baseball bats. The only thing they had going for them was the sudden realization that they didn't want to be scared anymore...and then they weren't scared. They put on some masks, found a few local thugs and got the drop on them. After beating them senseless they acquired the location of a bigger fish. They proceeded to pay him a visit. Eventually the newspapers picked up the story. The masked vigilantes didn't watch the city from the rooftops, they protected the people from the ground level. They were 'The Sidewalk Heroes.' 

They got pretty good at it too. They hit the back guys and melted into the shadows. A couple others joined the group over time, but there's only so long you can do that sort of thing before it goes downhill. A few went six feet under and a pair were locked up. While they tried to avoid lethal force sometimes it was you or the other guy, and it was hard to call 'self-defense' when you grabbed a set of knuckledusters and broke into a Mobsters house. What remained when the dust settled decided it was time to lay low for a while. They went their separate ways and got back to focusing on the nine-to-five but they group never reformed. The time was never right. Other factors came into the equation, kids and mortgages.

Now its 2013. Things aren't better. It almost seems worst with the internet making information even more accessible. Everyone connected to their smartphones and hearing about the latest pedophile as soon as the internet reports it. The economy is weak, the job market cruel and there's an entire generation rather frustrated to say the least. One would almost understand why people turn to crime. But almost understanding doesn't mean allowing, it doesn't mean tolerating and it doesn't mean forgiving. It was a seemingly quiet Saturday morning when Fifty-five year old Adam O'Connor saw a few punks start to descend on the innocent. He stepped away from his window and let out a tired sigh as he climbed his stairs. It was buried in lockbox in his closet. An mask he had worn in a long time. It was surprising how quickly it all came back to him. That night wasn't a repeat of Katie Lebowski. But he wasn't a young man anymore. He had arthritis for fuck sake. But there were other people out there. He knew how this game was played, he just needed a few good people. People that were frustrated and didn't want to be scared anymore.

So this is a Superhero game but takes its inspiration from comics like Watchmen & Kick-Ass. Not counting Dr. Manhattan in that Watchmen inspiration of course. Its a game where the characters are average people that decide they don't care what happens to them so long as they leave their city a better place. Do some good. While this game doesn't have powers, I'm also not looking for characters that use some of the usual backstories to justify a very appropriate skill-set like characters that served in the army or had a parent that just happened to be a Kung Fu Master that trained them since they were five years old. This is a game featuring the local plumber and his trusty wrench, the taxi driver that's had to deal with too many bad drunks.

I'll shift between GMing the various crooks & criminals the team will be dealing with and playing as Adam, the aging veteran no longer really in condition to fight the good fight but able to guide the fresh, young roster. I'll be looking for approximately five people, possibly more if someone is interested willing to play a character and Co-GM. Once I have an idea of interest I'll put up a character sheet.

So if you have any questions, comments or suggestions please speak up~!

CS:
Name: Easy enough
Ethnicity: Easy enough
Day Job: Easy enough
Motivation: While everyone on the team wants to make a difference, this should explain why your character has decided to put aside their personal safety and get involved. Perhaps a personal tragedy or less or other appropriate event.
Appearance: A single image to represent your character. Real person claims only please. If you wish to include any additional images (featuring costume, equipment or just general additional images) please place them in spoiler tags at the bottom of the application.

Codename:
Skills: A handful of skills that might aid a group of individuals in fighting crime, but feel free to include something miscellanious too. Considering the tone of the game the words 'master' or 'expert' shouldn't really feature. 
Costume/Mask:   
Equipment: Any equipment the character wishes to arm themselves with.
Backstory: The origin story!

Blank CS Template:

[b]Name:[/b]
[b]Ethnicity:[/b]
[b]Age:[/b]
[b]Day Job:[/b]
[b]Motivation:[/b]
[b]Appearance:[/b]
[center][img]URLHERE[/url][/center]

[b]Codename:[/b]
[b]Skills:[/b]
[b]Costume/Mask:[/b]   
[b]Equipment:[/b]
[b]Backstory:[/b]
[spoiler=Additional Images]
[/spoiler]

DreamlandDenizen

I'd be in on this one. I love Kick Ass! I actually have a pretty good character for this. His superhero name is Speed Freak, he rides a bicycle and carries a chain and padlock as a weapon.

Codexa

Sounds like it could be fun! :)

Batman4560

Primarch

Quote from: DreamlandDenizen on October 05, 2013, 10:59:32 PM
I'd be in on this one. I love Kick Ass! I actually have a pretty good character for this. His superhero name is Speed Freak, he rides a bicycle and carries a chain and padlock as a weapon.

Perfect!

Quote from: Codexa on October 05, 2013, 11:07:46 PM
Sounds like it could be fun! :)

Quote from: Batman4560 on October 06, 2013, 01:55:30 AM
Color me interested.

Excellent.

Codexa

Questions! :)

Okay, so I get there is going to be at least five characters. Now, will the players need to work out character ties before the game starts?
Will we be working together right away, or will the characters meet during actual gameplay?

What sort of content can we expect? What kind of crimes/baddies will we be meeting?

Is there a set plot in mind?

ElvenKitten

Primarch

Quote from: Codexa on October 06, 2013, 11:13:07 AM
Questions! :)

Okay, so I get there is going to be at least five characters. Now, will the players need to work out character ties before the game starts?
Will we be working together right away, or will the characters meet during actual gameplay?

What sort of content can we expect? What kind of crimes/baddies will we be meeting?

Is there a set plot in mind?

A) Players do not need to work out character ties beforehand, although you are certainly welcome too.
B) The game will begin with the group being brought together for the first time, so you'll meet and then work.
C) The Criminals the team will deal with will vary from common thugs & gang members and work their way up the ladder dealing with more organised incarnations of crime.
D) The content of the game will be largely action orientated, dealing with the group fighting local crime or preparing to do so. There will be 'downtime' too and if characters wish to hookup that's entirely their decision.
E) There is a plot in mind that will bring the group from A to B to C but the particular details can change and varying depending on group interest.

If there's anything else I'd be glad to clear it up.   

DiaboliCanine

I'd like to be a part of this as well.

Primarch

Character sheet placed into OP. Please PM completed sheets to me.

As I only wish to take on 5 characters unless a Co-GM can be found, I will only be approving 5 characters for play. With this in mind I shall not be taking reservations for this game. The first 5 character sheets I receive that are in condition to be approved will get in. I'll post here as slots are filled. If people wish to submit characters afterwards in the event of a drop-out or a Co-GM being found you are entirely welcome. Please do not ask about characters that have already been submitted, they wrote their apps without knowing what you were doing and its only fair to expect later entries to do the same. Other apps will have no baring on how I review your apps.

As ever, if you have any questions feel free to ask. Otherwise good luck and I look forward to reading what you come up with!

ElvenKitten

Primarch

Reviewing apps now, expect PMs.

Darwishi

Hm, interested here too.  Are you full up on characters already?

Primarch

Quote from: Darwishi on October 07, 2013, 05:26:10 PM
Hm, interested here too.  Are you full up on characters already?

Nope, go ahead and app.

Primarch

I've been a tad busy with work these last pair of days, but don't worry nothing has been forgotten. Any PM's I haven't responded too will get a response!

Otherwise we're still open for apps.

Toggle

Totally interested, but it seems you guys are full on male characters.  Lemme know if a slot becomes available!

RainyHigh

I am so sending in a CS for this game. Love it! (The Plot I mean).
Rainy's Ons and Offs
Currently not open for solo stories

MagicalMayham

Sent in a CS hope you like it...
Rebellion against a tyrant is obedience to God. ~Benjamin Franklin
In this world its not faith that saves us but Defiance. ~Benjamin Franklin
Sex.  In America an obsession.  In other parts of the world a fact.  ~Marlene Dietrich
To hear many religious people talk, one would think God created the torso, head, legs and arms, but the devil slapped on the genitals.  ~Don Schrader
No matter how much cats fight, there always seem to be plenty of kittens.  ~Abraham Lincoln

Primarch

2 Characters are officially approved, still 3 slots up for grabs.

Ixy

There was another game along this vein that involved costumed heroes recently.  It seems to be all but dead, but had a couple interested players.  Would you consider 'crossovers' or full-out 'transfers' of concepts in the event that this other game doesn't make it?

Primarch

Off hand I don't know what that game is, I'm not against the idea but what I'd to know what I'm accepting before I...well accept.

Primarch

3rd Character approved! 2 Slots remaining.

Chreestafer

I'm interested and I can have a character pmed to you soon.   Question though.  Those that have been accepted what kind of heros are they, as I don't want to copy anyone else.
“The Doctor: This is bad, I don't like this. [kicks console and yells in pain] Never use force, you just embarrass yourself. Unless you're cross, in which case... always use force!
Amy: Shall I run and get the manual?
The Doctor: I threw it in a supernova.
Amy: You threw the manual in a supernova? Why?
The Doctor: Because I disagreed with it! Now stop talking to me when I'm cross!”
Ons and Offs
F-List

Primarch

I'm afraid I didn't get a great deal of time on E today, so if you are waiting on a PM from me I've not missed it or forgotten, you'll get a response as soon as I have the time to sit down and go through them.

Chreestafer, as the game doesn't feature powers or unbelievable levels of training (or for the most part even believable levels of appropriate training) I wouldn't worry too much about what kinds of heroes we have.

Primarch

As you all may have guessed, this is getting delayed. If anyone wishes to volunteer to join me as a Co-GM and help me get it sorted and run it once its going, I would appreciate it. Until a Co-GM is found I believe I'll need to put this game on indefinite stall.